Unpopular Opinions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Unpopular Opinions

minze

Medalist
Unpopular opinion:
-Yuna deserved the gold over Adelina Sotnikova.
-I prefer Yuna over Mao because in my opionion Mao seems disconnected with the audience and does not acknowledge her music as well :slink:

See that is unpopular because Mao is one of the most musical skaters ever;)

RobinA

On the Ice
Quads and the obsession with increasing numbers of rotations are unhealthy for skaters and as a result bad for the sport. For the skaters it means more and more serious acute injuries as well as chronic injuries in 20 and 30 years old that are more normally found in 70 year olds. In addition, it requires weight control, particularly in women, but also in men, that is not healthy and can lead to serious problems. And yes, I realize that other sports are in the same boat. The gymnastics mess started with sexual abuse but now seems to be morphing into treatment of gymnasts and rates of injury. Eating disorders remain hush hush in both sports.

evasorange

Final Flight
The Russian women dominance over the past 5 years is more of a result of over the top/lenient judging and youth then any kind of special talent.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quads and the obsession with increasing numbers of rotations are unhealthy for skaters and as a result bad for the sport. For the skaters it means more and more serious acute injuries as well as chronic injuries in 20 and 30 years old that are more normally found in 70 year olds. In addition, it requires weight control, particularly in women, but also in men, that is not healthy and can lead to serious problems. And yes, I realize that other sports are in the same boat. The gymnastics mess started with sexual abuse but now seems to be morphing into treatment of gymnasts and rates of injury. Eating disorders remain hush hush in both sports.

Agree 1000%. :thank:

Icey

Record Breaker
Yuzu, as wonderful as he is, skates with the same blank face as Mirai, but, mysteriously imo, he is not lambasted for it the way she was.

The value of changing coaches is overrated.

Carolina Kostner's skating skills are overrated .

Other athletes have done worse things than Harding, but weren't banned from their sports; i.e, her penalty was too severe. A year's suspension would have been sufficient, along with the other non-skating judgements.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu's fans come from all over the world and not just from Japan.

Yuzuru Hanyu's skating and personality are more interesting than his love for Winnie the Pooh.

Huh? Is this an opinion or just an uber Yuzuru fan lol.

bennorii

On the Ice
Booooo! :biggrin:

Isn't it funny how we are trying so hard to be unpopular/outrageous?

Whoops I guess I don't find this funny. His flip take off is ugly, not just the excessive prerotation with the blade, but also the awkward pre-body turn that doesn't match the arms...

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Daniil's choreography is really good.

The POTO glass smash works for the program.

We don't know enough about Eteri to know what kind of person she is.

Not every skater who's had a bad season (or two or more) or has performance anxiety or confidence issues needs a psychologist. Figuring things out on your own/with your coaches bit by bit is a perfectly valid option.
Likewise, a skater who gets upset or cries after a bad performance is not necessarily being bratty/hysterical/unstable/having mental health problems/whatever. It's called the kiss and CRY for a reason. Let them cool down a little and process things before judging their reactions or saying they need psychological help. Well, within reason of course, go ahead and judge away if they hit their coaches with their blade guards or something. :laugh:

Perfectionism can be perfectly healthy and realistic if you're actually capable of near-perfection and use it to motivate yourself rather than criticise yourself.

... and Yuzuru's R&J2 is one of the best costumes in the history of figure skating! :biggrin:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yuzu, as wonderful as he is, skates with the same blank face as Mirai, but, mysteriously imo, he is not lambasted for it the way she was.

I think this is a gender thing. Men don't have to be as emotionally expressive to do well in the sport. I feel like Lysacek, Plushenko, Kulik, and Urmanov were pretty blank faced too, along with a lot of world champions during that period.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I used to like you, but this is one step too far. I'm sorry, it's over...we can't be friends anymore. :scowl:

Oh dear. Such drama. Or Trauma???? You are ordered to go find some refreshing mind altering drink or go buy something on Black Friday and then make up.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I find Karen Chen's choreography more interesting than most of the leading choreographers today (also I'd love if she was doing choreography full time).

Spins and step sequences on the beat are far more impressive than jumps on the beat that mask limited musicality/interpretation.

The B.ESP uncles are too hard on Alina.

Shoma's Moonlight Sonata > P&C's Moonlight Sonata

Yuna's Adios Nonino was not a smart Olympic program choice

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shoma's big problem - and cleft stick - is that he skates better when in a field with Yuzuru (the challenge, the ability to stay under the publicity radar, whatever) and worse when he has to be Japan's star attraction... but then he has to yet to find a way to win against Yuzu.

Shoma also gets a lot of flack he doesn't always - or even mostly - deserve and no not mainly from Hanyu fans.

Boyang is underrated - inconsistent, but underrated. And Boyang should be credited with the one to start the quad race in earnest. Though whether that should be credit or not is probably an unpopular opinion either way.

Nathan Chen is amazingly uninteresting, even when jumping.

It's a simple fact that two of the three can never make Olympic Gold, but my opinion is that none of them will. It's too far away, the tech level is now too punishing and someone is waiting in the wings... (before anyone looks squint-eyed, think back to 2011)

Maybe the Olympic Gold Medal is overrated, but you'll never persuade the popular audience that winning it doesn't make a skater greater than someone who doesn't.

IF anyone thinks the team medals are equal to the individual, ask the skaters if they'd swap. Were it possible, I think every one of them would.

Yuzuru's FS at Sochi was faulty, but in its own way - after that hideous start - was an indicator of why he was then on his way to becoming the probable GOAT, maybe even more than the brilliant SP.

Virtue and Moir missed a huge chance by not doing the Masochism Tango, they were born to do it (umm, how unpopular is that idea, though?)

Wynter

On the Ice

All depends on what he wants to portray from the programs, I suppose. He is more expressive in programs like Requiem, LGC, and Origin (still work in progress though).

-

Although Rika's FP is brilliant, I prefer Kaori's LP this season.
Jun Hwan is not a similar skater to Yuzuru. They have different personalities and it is shown in their programs. (FYI, I can appreciate both).
I hate Moonlight Sonata as skating programs.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
500 Thread Count Sheets are Too Expensive!

Why can't ice be warm? Huh? Huh?

Yellow looks good on 18 people in the entire world. I am not one of them. Neither, probably, are you.

Oh wait, you mean unpopular SKATING opinions...

Uhm never mind...

:slink:

Unicorns! Rainbows! Smiley Faces!

Plastic Medals for Everyone!

:dance2:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why can't ice be warm? Huh? Huh?

Sooner or later they will invent fake ice (casting a jaundiced eye over the shops in my hot Australian hometown already bedecked with fake snow) and everyone will... hate it.