Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Men's FINAL
Entries/Results

1. Jason BROWN 263.42
2. Mikhail KOLYADA 253.14
3. Alexander SAMARIN 237.84

What are your thoughts on the event and the men's performances?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason

:yahoo:

That is all. :biggrin:

Seriously, the international judges have shown that Jason’s SP is all that. And yes, other men did not have their best days at the LP (neither did Jason), but that’s what makes it a sport.

Wish that Deniss had felt well enough to compete :sad21:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy for Jason! Does anyone have a link to a video of his performance? :yahoo::hap57::hap93:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I have never been a particular Jason Brown fan, but finished movement, attention to detail, commitment to choreo etc. is always better to watch than the opposite. A deserved win of overall great quality over sloppy attempts of technical difficulty.

E

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Jason proves two things:

1. Skating is not all about jumps. All the things a skater does when his blade(s) are actually on the ice matter too.
2. There's more than one way to win this game.

I'm just Pleased as Punch for him.

And I still wish I could have seen BO's reaction to the news.

rachno2

Record Breaker
smh....

Things just aren’t going my way this season (it happens!), but I’m happy to see Jason getting rewarded for his quality elements. I look forward to his performances at Worlds, especially the short :)

Russian Nationals is certainly going to be.....an event that will happen.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Jason Brown - Another gorgeous short program! If he can remain consistent on it, he will likely be on the first page after the short program at Worlds. Still a shaky free program with the now problematic Loop jump and downgrading a 3T to a 2T, but still a little better. His spins, footwork, and transitions put him over Samarin and Kolyada who both had very inconsistent free programs.

Bradie Tennell - Some under-rotation calls here, but still good momentum going into Nationals. Shame on the Salchow fall. I can see her really working the choreography. I hope that she can improve her glide across the ice and give more emotional intent with each move.

Gilles/Poirier - Back to great form here after a rougher skate at Grenoble. I think they deserved to be at the Final as well, but it just didn't work out. The judges here really liked both their SD (would have been 2nd in GPF with that 79) and their FD which I think is stellar and one of the best FDs this year. I think both programs could use a bit more ice coverage compared to the other top teams and about two more moments where they absolutely emphasize the musical nuance and/or beat.

Mariah Bell - While she didn't do as well here, the international judges are responding well to her artistry. She won the PCS mark over Tennell by about a point and a half, so she's quite a contender to take Nationals if she skates with full triples like she did at NHK.

Mikhail Kolyada - Get it together! Good short program but very frustratingly messy free program. This Carmen program is full of vigor and attack, but he lost his consistency after the first few Senior Bs.