2019 Europeans: Pairs FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans: Pairs FS

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Don't know if this is a thing or not, but not only are J/C the first French Pairs team to win the EC since 1932 and the first non Russian-USSR or German team to win the Pairs event since 1958, but does this make John Zimmerman and Jeremy Barrett the first American coaches to win a European Championship? Brian Orser is Canadian and I can't think of any other non-European coaches to win the EC. Anyone have a clue and is this even a thing?? :biggrin:

There's Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon with P/C, though Romain is also part of the coaching team and is French. I can't think of any other Americans, but I only looked back to around 2008.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Don't know if this is a thing or not, but not only are J/C the first French Pairs team to win the EC since 1932 and the first non Russian-USSR or German team to win the Pairs event since 1958, but does this make John Zimmerman and Jeremy Barrett the first American coaches to win a European Championship? Brian Orser is Canadian and I can't think of any other non-European coaches to win the EC. Anyone have a clue and is this even a thing?? :biggrin:

There's Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon with P/C, though Romain is also part of the coaching team and is French. I can't think of any other Americans, but I only looked back to around 2008.

Wasn't Frank Carroll the coach of Kostner when she won in 2010?

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Per Wikipedia:

Kostner placed 6th at both of her Grand Prix events, the 2009 Trophée Eric Bompard and the 2009 Cup of China. In the middle of the season, she left Carroll but continued training with Christa Fassi,[21] and in Pinerolo, Italy with Edoardo De Bernardis. In December 2009, Kostner lost her national title to Valentina Marchei, which threatened her spot on the Italian team for the Vancouver Games, but the following month she rebounded to win gold at the 2010 European Championships, held in Tallinn, Estonia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Kostner

So....does this mean John Z is first?? :biggrin:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Sounds like you have renounced Marie-France's and Patrice's Canadian citizenship, having declared them American! Fine, we'll take them and all of the gold medals they have produced! :dance::laugh:

Though you're right. I thought about them along with Brian Orser, but knew that Romain is basically P/C's main coach from France and they followed him to Montreal. But yeah, Canadian coaches are boss, but for the most part American coaches seem to not have very many international skaters which is something else that makes J/C and the rest of the French team training in Florida unique. Like Medvedeva is now. :rock:

hansspanky

Spectator
I was thrilled that Vanessa and Morgan won---they truly deserved it. Clearly, from their glum looks on the podium, Evgenia and Vladimir were not pleased to be #2.

The French team has become very consistent, and they both commit fully to the characters in their programs, and they relate to one another throughout the skate.

That is what is missing in the Russian team---they don't relate much to one another while they're skating. The only one who seems to show any interest in what she's doing is Evgenia. Vladimir seems to be checked out most of the time. Even when everything is going smoothly, they are sort of blah.

agree

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So....does this mean John Z is first?? :biggrin:

I think you're right! and YES I think it is and Should Be a thing. :party2: Also, Charlie White (genius, IMO!) choreographed their FS and I think in subtle ways advanced J/C's skating, with transitions, attention to detail and making every move beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by esteticlove View Post
As someone who hasn't been following Vanessa and James up until now, I am speechless and absolutely thrilled for their victory. They are with no doubt the equivalent of Papadakis/Cizeron in pairs figure skating. Their free skate is a true piece of art. I can't even find the right words to describe what an experience it is to watch such a masterpiece. After each lift I was just speechless, some of the moves I hadn't seen before. The entry into the death spiral is unique. And how about the transitions in-between?

I completely agree! :points:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think you're right! and YES I think it is and Should Be a thing. :party2: Also, Charlie White (genius, IMO!) choreographed their FS and I think in subtle ways advanced J/C's skating, with transitions, attention to detail and making every move beautiful.

I completely agree! :points:

I heard the British Eurosport commentators (Chris & Nicky) speak about awarding coaches and the other remarked they do at Olympics. You know maybe we should petition for John Z, Charlie White, and the rest of the crew to get a special award for a achieving a new first! I don't think it's being a national. They deserve recognition for an outstanding program! :yahoo::agree2:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard the British Eurosport commentators (Chris & Nicky) speak about awarding coaches and the other remarked they do at Olympics. You know maybe we should petition for John Z, Charlie White, and the rest of the crew to get a special award for a achieving a new first! I don't think it's being a national. They deserve recognition for an outstanding program! :yahoo::agree2:

I've said this elsewhere, but I think it's so interesting that John Zimmerman, who was known for creative flair and drama in his pairs skating days, is now someone who appears to create stability in his skaters. I think it has to do with positive reinforcement, calm and bringing out their best. With J/C, and this year with Denney/Frazier. He, his wife Silvia, and Barrett are a great team. And Charlie choreographed D/F this year too.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've said this elsewhere, but I think it's so interesting that John Zimmerman, who was known for creative flair and drama in his pairs skating days, is now someone who appears to create stability in his skaters. I think it has to do with positive reinforcement, calm and bringing out their best. With J/C, and this year with Denney/Frazier. He, his wife Silvia, and Barrett are a great team. And Charlie choreographed D/F this year too.

John Z has said he credits his coaching style and technique to his former coach Tamara Moskvina. So his skaters are in essence reaping the benefits of both Russian and American school of skating. Not bad! :agree2: Hopefully this is only the beginning of a great new era in skating (especially Pairs) both in the US and abroad. :cool2: