2019 Europeans: Pairs FS | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans: Pairs FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
jcf.jpg

In their eighth appearance at the event, France's Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres captured the Pairs' gold at the 2019 European Figure Skating championships. Russia's Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov, the two-time and defending champions, took silver. Teammates Aleksandra Boikova and Dmitrii Kozlovskii edged out Italians Nicole Della Monica and Matteo Guarise for the bronze in their debut at this event.

“It is a dream come true,” said James of winning the gold. “We’ve dreamed of that forever. We’re so pleased to have skated like this for you (the audience)! I am so happy and proud, I can’t even find words to express how much.”

“We are indeed happy that we didn’t stop, but kept skating because we finally accomplished our dream after I don’t know how many years,” James added when asked about retiring

More...

What are your thoughts on the Pairs' Free Skate?

Last edited:
B/K are amazing, and I hope they rise quickly to challenge S/H. Pairs is just so boring currently otherwise. (don't @ me with p/j, y/z or r/k, they're nice, but there's a big gap that might never be closed.)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
After the program J/C skated it would be hard for the russians to get close, but I hope T/M can straighten out the details in their programs because they are really good. I liked the podium, all pairs skated really well, even the italians.

bobbob

Medalist
Tarasova and Morosov are straightening this out though. I think they would have (and should have) won had they landed the SBS combo. J/C have an amazing free program, and they are very consistent now which is really good for them, but something about their skating quality doesn't do it for me.

LRK

Record Breaker
This was a very enjoyable event - I loved all top three performances; though I'm of course extra happy for my Favourites Aleksandra & Dima.:)

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I am super happy for Vanessa and Morgan. They deservedly won here and their both performances were stunning. I love love love their fresh modern and edgy style of skating. Hopefully we will see more of it in years to come.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I thoroughly enjoyed the pairs competition, even though the number of skates was disappointingly low. But the top 4 were really great. dM/G skated with some small mistakes but compared to the GPF much improved. B/K were beautiful (as always in their FS) but also with a mistake. I think the small difference between them reflected the skates excellently. A pity for the Italians, but still. It could have been the other way round with another panel, but that's just how it is.

T/M have a beautiful FS but it just wasn't enough today. J/C really moved me (again), and I am so happy for them. But it's great to see that the top 2 are close. The better the competition! But, I'm very happy with the results, and of course very happy for Vanessa and Morgan.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was thrilled that Vanessa and Morgan won---they truly deserved it. Clearly, from their glum looks on the podium, Evgenia and Vladimir were not pleased to be #2.

The French team has become very consistent, and they both commit fully to the characters in their programs, and they relate to one another throughout the skate.

That is what is missing in the Russian team---they don't relate much to one another while they're skating. The only one who seems to show any interest in what she's doing is Evgenia. Vladimir seems to be checked out most of the time. Even when everything is going smoothly, they are sort of blah.

ntnext

Rinkside
I was thrilled that Vanessa and Morgan won---they truly deserved it. Clearly, from their glum looks on the podium, Evgenia and Vladimir were not pleased to be #2.

The French team has become very consistent, and they both commit fully to the characters in their programs, and they relate to one another throughout the skate.

That is what is missing in the Russian team---they don't relate much to one another while they're skating. The only one who seems to show any interest in what she's doing is Evgenia. Vladimir seems to be checked out most of the time. Even when everything is going smoothly, they are sort of blah.

Maybe it's because they are not together in real life any more :sad21: They broke up this summer. And all the coaches changings and the fact that you have to learn how to work with the person who was your partner on ice and in life, but now only on the ice, of course reflects in their presentation. They have a tough time now. Especially if the roumors is true and Zhenya has a new life partner - Fedya Klimov.

esteticlove

Final Flight
As someone who hasn't been following Vanessa and James up until now, I am speechless and absolutely thrilled for their victory. They are with no doubt the equivalent of Papadakis/Cizeron in pairs figure skating. Their free skate is a true piece of art. I can't even find the right words to describe what an experience it is to watch such a masterpiece. After each lift I was just speechless, some of the moves I hadn't seen before. The entry into the death spiral is unique. And how about the transitions inbetween? There was no 2 foot skating from end to end, they complemented every second of the music and became one with it. Initially I was sad that this season Savchenko/Massot won't compete at the EC because it was the only title that they didn't have and I would have been very happy to see another perfectly choreographed program from them, but now all I can say is that Vanesa and James did the perfectly well and I am happy that the title is theirs. They, like Aljona and Bruno, are taking pairs figure skating to a new level by introducing ice skating elements into their choreography and for me as a spectator this is far more worth it than any performance with a difficult jump/throw whatever but without any emotion. In this context, how Vanesa and James' PCS for the free skate is as high as the PCS of Tarasova/Morozov is a mystery... :noshake: Everyone with eyes saw the difference, I hope...

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats to the podium! This was a very close and good race for medals. I enjoyed it! :agree:

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Maybe it's because they are not together in real life any more :sad21: They broke up this summer. And all the coaches changings and the fact that you have to learn how to work with the person who was your partner on ice and in life, but now only on the ice, of course reflects in their presentation. They have a tough time now. Especially if the roumors is true and Zhenya has a new life partner - Fedya Klimov.

I've seen several variations on this rumor pop up, but as with all rumors not confirmed by the subjects(s), I'm taking it with a big grain of salt.

Off the ice and out of the heat of the moment of competition, they still as of late seem to be happy and connected to each other.

This was posted as a story on the ISU instagram earlier today, I think from before the medal ceremony. They came across as distant in the K&C, but they seem to be literally clinging to each other here:
http://tinypic.com/r/2n221he/9

The GPF also didn't go well for them, but they seem happy here--Vladimir's even smiling. From davesskatingphoto.com
http://tinypic.com/r/2pyu6o6/9
http://tinypic.com/r/15xaiar/9

This was their part of a video that was made at Russian nationals with the skaters giving Christmas greetings. She's looking at him with goofy eyes.
hxxps://www.instagram.com/p/Br1v314h9nY/ (change the xx to tt)

Then, the at about 5:42 during the medal ceremony at Russian nationals, he rubs her arm in a way that does not read as platonic skating partners.
https://youtu.be/XgZKbHemBCo?t=341

They also seemed happy and relaxed when they were in Italy for the show they did a few weeks ago.

In experience as a grown up for almost two decades, if two people break up and are trying to establish a new normal, they're not doing cuddly hugs, or making goofy eyes, or being handsy in a medal ceremony. I think nothing as changed with them off-ice out of competition.

My take is that both of them are very shy and reserved to begin with. Then, I think that in dealing with competition nerves and trying to stay focused, it causes them both to withdraw into their shells. I think this season, it's all getting amplified. It's almost like something broke in them after that Olympic FS and they're still stuck back in Korea reliving it. It's like like they lost a bit of that fire in the belly and the confidence to compete and deal with things. At the same time, I think they really wanted to come out this season and vindicate themselves for last year and set themselves up as the top team this quad. Needless to say, it hasn't gone according to plan. It seems like with each progressive imperfect skate, they both just withdraw further and further back into their shells in the post skate and kiss and cry and it's reading as distant when it's really two freaked out and worried turtles shutting down in that moment. Add in the external pressure they must have on them and the pressure they must be putting on themselves, and it's just a recipe to show up looking and feeling miserable while competing.

I don't know what the exact answer is. They have the talent to be world champions. Heck, the talent to be Olympic Champions. The first obvious thing is if they aren't seeing a real sports psychologist, they need to be. I think they are wonderfully expressive in the choreography and how they move their bodies, but I know that emoting does mean something to a lot of people. I don't think it's that they can't do it--the Ordinary People gala program is exhibit A that they can. They just need help in letting a bit more of their personalities out while they're competing and a choreographer who is going to know how to use all of their gorgeous strengths of power, line, extension, and polish without having to resort to them being the all classic warhorses, all the time team. (Which I don't think they want to be.)

I think they will eventually come out the other side of this. Almost all skaters go through a season like this at some point where things just don't go right. The post-Olympic season can be bear, especially for skaters coming off disappointment.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm very happy for Vanessa and Morgan! Who would have thought they'd become European Champions when they were just starting out? (I've watched some of their earlier performances and yikes their split twist was scary!) They're such a great couple and their skating is exciting to watch!

I am sad for T/M because they're my favourites and I do worry that they might be feeling discouraged ever since last season and the Candyman kerfuffle! They must have been aware of the nasty comments :( plus the whole Olympics thing - to go from first place to fourth must have been a huge blow. I hope they can rally for Worlds! Sui/Han will be returning and competition will be very tough for them.

Congratulations to Aleksandra and Dimitrii for picking up the bronze, well done! :cheer:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who hasn't been following Vanessa and James up until now, I am speechless and absolutely thrilled for their victory. They are with no doubt the equivalent of Papadakis/Cizeron in pairs figure skating. Their free skate is a true piece of art. I can't even find the right words to describe what an experience it is to watch such a masterpiece. After each lift I was just speechless, some of the moves I hadn't seen before. The entry into the death spiral is unique. And how about the transitions in-between?

I totally agree. I am so happy for them, it's about time!! :cheer:

bobbob

Medalist

Source?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even early in the game when they were a couple, Vladimir was skating like a robot. That has never changed. In some ways, T/M remind me of Totmianina/Marinin (another T/M), who were also aloof and non-relating to one another in performance.

Bcash

Final Flight
Great to see the consistency of J/C becoming a norm. Love all the transitions in their program. Puzzled at the B/K love on this forum. To me they (especially she) look very rough around the edges. He's got great hair but that's about it.

bobbob

Medalist
Even early in the game when they were a couple, Vladimir was skating like a robot. That has never changed. In some ways, T/M remind me of Totmianina/Marinin (another T/M), who were also aloof and non-relating to one another in performance.

who were undefeated for two seasons and basically dominated for an entire quad from 2002-06. Comparing them to Totminanina/Marinin is a major compliment. I think that in general some Russian men just don't emote as much. Doesn't mean they are bad skaters, clearly many of them are very good.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
What a great pairs event overall.
First of all, Jones/Boyadgi earned 2 spots for GBR next year (and didn't finish last in the FS) - Good for them!

James/Cipres are not only the first french pair to win since 1932 - they are the first champions not from Russia (USSR) or Germany since 1959!
They do need to get their levels in check if they want to be real contenders though.
Right now, they are winning simply because they are making less mistakes then Tarasova/Morozov.
Everything that Tarasova/Morozov did was of real high quality (except for the combo) - their Tech score (before calling out the downgrade+Combo) was almost identical to James/Cipres.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Don't know if this is a thing or not, but not only are J/C the first French Pairs team to win the EC since 1932 and the first non Russian-USSR or German team to win the Pairs event since 1958, but does this make John Zimmerman and Jeremy Barrett the first American coaches to win a European Championship? Brian Orser is Canadian and I can't think of any other non-European coaches to win the EC. Anyone have a clue and is this even a thing?? :biggrin: