2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1052 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Orlov

Medalist
to SkateSkates

As I understand it many of the posters have been watching FS for a very long time, many decades. In those days skaters, I guess, jumped and skate something like that - long preparation for jump, long trips along the sides and other medieval pleasures. Okay, it's normal, 50 years ago, triples were like quads now. And old viewers have learned to "close their eyes" to these gaps in the performance. People easily get used to conventions, get used to not seeing them. In Shakespeare's time, men played women and the audience "didn't notice it"; in my great-grandmother's time, movies were black and white, and the audience "didn't notice it" too.

But times are changing. And there comes a time when it is impossible not to notice the make-uped man in a woman's skirt. And the new viewer says " what the hell! what's going on?", and the old shakespearean' time viewers are surprised at the surprise of newcomers - "what's wrong? excellent performance of the role of Juliet".

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Unfortunately neither of the Nastyas are on the SB list this year, so their only hope is the host pick. I would bet it’s going to Gulyakova. The only other way either could get a GP is if they win an early season Challenger which puts you at the top of the replacement list in case someone WDs. For example, if Alina submits her name and is assigned 2 events but later decides she isn’t ready to come back and Gubanova wins Nebelhorn she could replace Alina, assuming the host fed invites her. I am not sure if you are added to the replacement list if you don’t win a challenger - someone please jump in if you know.

Both of their best bets is to hopefully get challenger assignments and preferably 2 so they have multiple chances for a high SB and can earn WS points.

My understanding is that it is the result that counts. So, for example, if three skaters do very well at Nebelhorn, they will all be added to the replacement list, along with all the ladies on the SB list that only has one or none GP assignment.

However, for Russian Ladies, this is still a very hard and unlikely way to get GPs. It kind of requires that RusFed don't fill their 18 spots to begin with. If a Russian skater WD, it is still not a certainty that the replacement will go to another Russian lady.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It's part of the usual PR speaking in figure skating you hear in every country. It's not just a russian thing they all do this.

For example Jason Brown has been saying for ages that he's going to plan x many quads, i recall past interviews even with Kori Ade saying that cause you want to be seen as a top contender, and without quads it's tough to be considered competitive in men's figure skating. But how many times have you seen him actually landing a quad sal or a quad toe?

Wounded pride is a good motivator, Yagudin's insults might have fired up Brown enough to finish and finally show his quad in competition.

Kostornaya didn't want to get left out and had her BFF suggesting to try finishing that triksel with Rozanov ...

Gulyakova has seen Gubanova skating before her, or heard the result and knew she could best this result without risking a triksel, falling on it would have ruined her chance.

Wether the whole RCF was rigged towards her winning? The fight for placements in the stages is probably more important to FFKKR than these somewhat lacklustre finals.

DenissVFan

Medalist
My understanding is that it is the result that counts. So, for example, if three skaters do very well at Nebelhorn, they will all be added to the replacement list, along with all the ladies on the SB list that only has one or none GP assignment.

However, for Russian Ladies, this is still a very hard and unlikely way to get GPs. It kind of requires that RusFed don't fill their 18 spots to begin with. If a Russian skater WD, it is still not a certainty that the replacement will go to another Russian lady.

From this season's rules:

"Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2019/20 and can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores."

So if you're not on the SB list, you need to win a Challenger to be added to the alternate list (but first you need to be assigned to one, which is not a given...)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
From this season's rules:

"Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2019/20 and can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores."

So if you're not on the SB list, you need to win a Challenger to be added to the alternate list (but first you need to be assigned to one, which is not a given...)

Thanks. I don't understand though what "bottom ranked according to their scores" means. Are they placed at the bottom of the replacement list?

DenissVFan

Medalist
Yes, they are placed at the bottom of the alternate list, but if X wins, say, Nepela with a score of 200.00 and Y wins Nebelhorn with a score of 190.00, they are both below those 10 who had the highest SBs from the previous season but are only alternates, but X is in front of Y. However, we know that the hosts don't really pick replacements in order (see the case of Yelim Kim), so it may not matter that much.

SkateSkates

Medalist
to SkateSkates

As I understand it many of the posters have been watching FS for a very long time, many decades. In those days skaters, I guess, jumped and skate something like that - long preparation for jump, long trips along the sides and other medieval pleasures. Okay, it's normal, 50 years ago, triples were like quads now. And old viewers have learned to "close their eyes" to these gaps in the performance. People easily get used to conventions, get used to not seeing them. In Shakespeare's time, men played women and the audience "didn't notice it"; in my great-grandmother's time, movies were black and white, and the audience "didn't notice it" too.

But times are changing. And there comes a time when it is impossible not to notice the make-uped man in a woman's skirt. And the new viewer says " what the hell! what's going on?", and the old shakespearean' time viewers are surprised at the surprise of newcomers - "what's wrong? excellent performance of the role of Juliet".

Thanks. I haven’t been watching for multiple decades (I’m not old enough to remember multiple decades 🤣). But I will say for me personally I like to appreciate different types of skating and different types of skaters for their unique strengths. Would I prefer to see a shorter prep for Gubanova’s lutz? Yes! Do I think she’s capable of it! Yes! But I still try to see the positives in her jump. I understand not everyone can see past the long entry but it’s just my opinion

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Wounded pride is a good motivator, Yagudin's insults might have fired up Brown enough to finish and finally show his quad in competition.

Kostornaya didn't want to get left out and had her BFF suggesting to try finishing that triksel with Rozanov ...

Gulyakova has seen Gubanova skating before her, or heard the result and knew she could best this result without risking a triksel, falling on it would have ruined her chance.

Wether the whole RCF was rigged towards her winning? The fight for placements in the stages is probably more important to FFKKR than these somewhat lacklustre finals.

For sure, i applaud Mishin's strategy cause i think it's a good one.

In this day and age it's very hard for the russian ladies to stand out: consistency and clean programs is something you can find in like 20-30 skaters there, but like quads and 3a are still unique to few of them.

That doesn't mean she had to show it here, like you said, placement was very important at this event and Nastya didn't need the 3a to win, as she didn't need it at Nationals. But when she'll add it in the repertoire it will certainly have a big impact.

I think Tutkamysheva's season in 2014-15: she showed the triple axel only after nationals but when she did it at Worlds, it was a huge deal.

Also i want to mention Talalaikina cause in such a rough season, this was a personal victory for her to skate a clean short and a clean long and finishing on the podium.

brakes

On the Ice
I also find it unlikely that they continue to send her to JGP, and unlikely for her to get GP events because of the insane depth in Russia but maybe if she can somehow get a challenger, she could make a statement. But after leaving Eteri she has not been favored with politics, and the fact that there are dozens of little girls coming up every year doesn't help either. She was once one of them. Hoping she can find passion and success in skating :sad4::eek:hwell::pray:
Actually, next season will be a dull year when it comes to newcomers in seniors. No supertalents born in 2005.
2021/22+ is when invasion of 2006+ begins.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Actually, next season will be a dull year when it comes to newcomers in seniors. No supertalents born in 2005.
2021/22+ is when invasion of 2006+ begins.

But there will still be Ksenia Sinitsyna, and hopefully Guliakova can make her senior GP debut :)

brakes

On the Ice
Gulyakova standing strong, looks in good physical shape, made Mishin proud in that K&C! :thumbsup:
Gubanova jumping high, hit by puberty, but her legs working well. Will she be invited to the test skates? :think:
Talalaikina radiating joy of skating, easily fan favourite with her non-artificial enthusiasm and adorableness.
Shulskaya with very solid jumps as well, good skater. Nugumanova's nasty fall caused another mistake, shame about another carrot fest, she's really an audience magnet though.

Overall solid tournament for most of the girls and very bad for Tarakanova and Frolova.

brakes

On the Ice

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Gulyakova and Sinitsyna both deserve GPs, I can't imagine that RusFed would refuse to give any of them an opportunity to shine, but who knows? RusFed can operate very strangely at times.

lpt

On the Ice
Gulyakova doesn't have ISU season best, so the only possibility to get her GP is Rostelecom wildcard.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Gulyakova standing strong, looks in good physical shape, made Mishin proud in that K&C! :thumbsup:
Gubanova jumping high, hit by puberty, but her legs working well. Will she be invited to the test skates? :think:
Talalaikina radiating joy of skating, easily fan favourite with her non-artificial enthusiasm and adorableness.
Shulskaya with very solid jumps as well, good skater. Nugumanova's nasty fall caused another mistake, shame about another carrot fest, she's really an audience magnet though.

Overall solid tournament for most of the girls and very bad for Tarakanova and Frolova.

I just hope we will see them at Challengers next season. This season only Nugumanova got the chance.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Can you please stop with this whole "disgusting judging" followed by FFKR "sekret planz" commentary? You did the same kind of posts after EC, smearing Kostornaia just because your favorite didn't win.

You remind me so much of Russianfan ( now banned): "Oh, Zagitova (or whoever else he was fanboying) didn't win! I better stink up the forums to vent my anger!"

Don't go down that path, Elucidus.

I don't have favorites in this competition. At all. Blame the judges, not me. And again, this time they made up Shulskaya's UR while not even checking Talalaikina jumps. The event looks clearly rigged in favor of St_Petersburg skaters. That, and Guliakova PCS was obviously inflated as well - Gubanova's SS is in another league compared to Guliakova but judges wanted to give gold to Mishin's skater :confused2:
I realize that my constant grumbling can irritate many people - I am sorry about that. But constant unfair calls or lack of them irritates me as well - I love athletes and respect their work too much to pretend that it's all right when someone is robbed of medals he/she deserves. I would really love to watch competition where judges work won't be noticeable at all - i.e. when viewers can share only personal impressions of skaters performances and nothing else - lamenting only about skaters own mistakes. Alas, such competition is pretty rare nowadays - mostly among prejunior ones - where politics between schools, coaches, nations and reputations do not influence tech callers.