2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 832 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Seruleane

Final Flight
While her announcement made me sad because I love watching her compete, I also understand that Alina has won it all, that the life of a competitive figure skater, esp in Russia is extremely tough and she may have other things she wants to pursue. At the end of the day, Alina has to live her life for herself, not for her fans, her coach or anyone else. I do think this season and the last one was tough for her, and she bravely fought through, when she could have just retired after the Olympics. I hope she will be proud of all she has accomplished at such a young age, and I'm looking forward to following her future endeavors/successes. She has her whole life yet to live- this is something to be excited, not sad about. I'm sure it is bittersweet though, figure skating and competition being such a big part of her life.

I'll also say that I'm grateful for all the kind and complimentary remarks by GS posters, whether they are Alina fans or not. I know some of you have been critical of her or perhaps her coaching team in the past, and everyone has a right to their opinion, but it's nice to see you all rally around her.

:thank: Thank you, Alina! I'll still follow figure skating as I love watching the 3A compete against each other, and I like the Japanese skaters (Rika, Kaori, Wakaba) very much as well. But, I don't think I will ever be as personally invested as I was in Alina.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I was hoping to see Alina skate 2 clean programs at Russian Nationals, however it was painfully obvious she has not been happy skating for the past 2 seasons. Last season she looked truly miserable and there was talk of her wanting to withdraw. She was making everyone happy but herself.

I’m truly happy for Alina that she made a very difficult choice and I hope she finds her happiness with whatever she decides to do. She is a superstar in Russia. I don’t see her star fading anytime soon. Go and be a role model for all the skaters that will follow your path. These girls won’t be competing forever. Alina is 17- so far skating has been all she had known. Someday she will look back and remember when she was a child standing on the top of the Olympic podium. I hope her memories of everything after that are good ones.

Kudos to Alina. And to all these athletes. Find your happiness.

This is a funeral talk. Nice, but funeral. And there is no corpse to bury yet.

katymay

Medalist
I don't get it at all.

It would be one thing if Alina blamed Eteri for her problems.
But she always has been respectful and thankful to her coaches.
And she shoulders the blame herself for losing competitive focus this season.

Maybe instead of criticizing Alina, this person should try to act more like her.
You know, act like an adult.

In her statement, Alina could not have been more honest and classy. She said she wished she could have learned quads and/or a 3A when she was younger, but she didn't, and it is too late now. I hope she makes a huge income with commercial endorsements (and I hope she saves much of it!), and lives her best life.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
In her statement, Alina could not have been more honest and classy. She said she wished she could have learned quads and/or a 3A when she was younger, but she didn't, and it is too late now. I hope she makes a huge income with commercial endorsements (and I hope she saves much of it!), and lives her best life.

I don't think she's decided anything conclusive regarding quads or 3A, she didn't say she won't attempt them, she said it's going to be difficult and risky, but I don't think it means anything. Liza said exactly the same thing, that learning quads will be risky, dangerous and difficult, and then we saw her land one.
What I think it means, is that Alina understands all those potential risks and difficulties, and she'll take some time off, and decide to 'learn new elements' or not. :)

readernick

Medalist

I think Liza is showing that 17 is not "too late" to learn quads. But, everyone has different desires and motivations. Hopefully, Alina is happy. That is what is most important. She is still a teenager. Her whole life is in front of her.

SkatingFan9

On the Ice

No, that isn’t what she meant. It’s just easier to learn and master quads while one is younger, but she didn’t say it’s too late for her or anyone to learn them now. It’s just going to be harder, that’s all. And regardless, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva is 23 and doing quads.

Barring a change of heart, Alina will be trying to learn quads/triple axel while she’s taking a break from competition.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
This is a funeral talk. Nice, but funeral. And there is no corpse to bury yet.

And do you expect her to return to competitive skating? I expect it as much as I expect Osmond and Kostner to return. She hasn’t been happy. She had won it all.

How unfortunate for you to take my complimentary post and turn it into a negative. Shame on you!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catches up on thread...What the what?!! While I was asleep the FS world went insane!

I'm glad Liza didn't post that video after all! Her ex-manager sounds like a piece of work.

On the plus side, Liza did a 4T-3T combo!!! What an utter Empress. Go for it at Nats, Liza! I'll get up at stupid o'clock to see it!

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
And do you expect her to return to competitive skating? I expect it as much as I expect Osmond and Kostner to return. She hasn’t been happy. She had won it all.

How unfortunate for you to take my complimentary post and turn it into a negative. Shame on you!

Sometimes posts intended to be complimentary can be perceived as negative. For example, unless you know what was going on inside her head and what she was/wasn’t feeling, you can’t say for sure that she’s been unhappy skating these last two seasons.
Sometimes the happiest looking person can be unhappy on the inside.

She had nothing left to prove after the Olympics, but she continued anyway. She again had nothing left to prove after winning Worlds, but she still continued. One doesn’t do that unless they love what they’re doing.

She cares about her results and winning. And she doesn’t want to skate just to lose. She knows she’s at a huge disadvantage right now and even if she skates to her maximum, it wouldn’t be enough. That’s hard for anyone, let alone a champion like her who’s won it all.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't get it at all.

It would be one thing if Alina blamed Eteri for her problems.
But she always has been respectful and thankful to her coaches.
And she shoulders the blame herself for losing competitive focus this season.

Maybe instead of criticizing Alina, this person should try to act more like her.
You know, act like an adult.

Will Alina still want to deal with the nonsense of her coaches crazy sister? If not I would not blame her. I'm sure Alina wants a very calm productive environment to work in. That may not be her current situation.

Here is The $64,000 Question. Has eteri moved on from alina? The golden girl knows the answer to that and we'll keep it very private.

I am hoping whatever time off Alina gets her body to heal from the battering she's given it for many many years.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Sometimes posts intended to be complimentary can be perceived as negative. For example, unless you know what was going on inside her head and what she was/wasn’t feeling, you can’t say for sure that she’s been unhappy skating these last two seasons.
Sometimes the happiest looking person can be unhappy on the inside.

She had nothing left to prove after the Olympics, but she continued anyway. She again had nothing left to prove after winning Worlds, but she still continued. One doesn’t do that unless they love what they’re doing.

She cares about her results and winning. And she doesn’t want to skate just to lose. She knows she’s at a huge disadvantage right now and even if she skates to her maximum, it wouldn’t be enough. That’s hard for anyone, let alone a champion like her who’s won it all.

Unless you’re an admin on the board, I don’t think you should take the liberty of telling anyone how or what to post on this message board. It seems you’re trying to be the posting police. Nothing in my post was about you or directed towards you. My post was about Alina. I’m not sure why anyone would think they have the right to tell posters what they think they should be posting.

Alina’s own words, and her coach, indicate she wanted to leave the sport 1.5 years ago. Perhaps some are in denial or believe her own statements to be untrue. That’s her official statement. Unless you have insider information then I’m going to believe her own public statements over some fans on a message board.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Will Alina still want to deal with the nonsense of her coaches crazy sister? If not I would not blame her. I'm sure Alina wants a very calm productive environment to work in. That may not be her current situation.

Here is The $64,000 Question. Has eteri moved on from alina? The golden girl knows the answer to that and we'll keep it very private.

I am hoping whatever time off Alina gets her body to heal from the battering she's given it for many many years.

Isn't it only on IG? I don't think she is at the ice rink. Like all other useless "noise", Alina will probably just tune it out.
Alina said she wants to keep the same coaches. She will still be training there even if not competing.

So at least short term everything seems as usual.
We shall see.

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
Unless you’re an admin on the board, I don’t think you should take the liberty of telling anyone how or what to post on this message board. It seems you’re trying to be the posting police. Nothing in my post was about you or directed towards you. My post was about Alina. I’m not sure why anyone would think they have the right to tell posters what they think they should be posting.

Alina’s own words, and her coach, indicate she wanted to leave the sport 1.5 years ago. Perhaps some are in denial or believe her own statements to be untrue. That’s her official statement. Unless you have insider information then I’m going to believe her own public statements over some fans on a message board.

Nobody was telling you what to post. I’m just saying that compliments are not always perceived that way.

I don’t know which specific comments you are talking about, but Alina having self-doubts about her skating and having thoughts of quitting the sport is nothing unique. She’s not the only skater to have self-doubts and feel like quitting when things aren’t going right. Skating is hard - mentally, emotionally and physically.

Alina wanting/needing a break from competitive skating does not equate to her being unhappy when she did skate. She was happy skating, but she just needs some time away now.

If she truly didn’t love skating anymore, she would retire right now. She will still be training and trying to learn new jumps, so that should dispel your theory right away.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
sorry for my english .... this is the last time .....

There is a flag signal in the fleet for those who understand the eerie and sinister: "I am following my course."
It happens that in a battle or in a torpedo attack, there is simply no way to stall and save people who are swinging on the waves, since this clearly prohibits this explicitly, the captain has another task, which he is obliged to carry out first of all, no matter what is happening around.
And then the flags fly up on the mast, making up the sound of a death sentence, the ship goes without slowing down or changing course - right over the heads blackening in the water ...

So - over the ship, civilization and the continent, Russia is already flying - "I am following my course."
We throw lifebuoys into the water by sinking, rafts, everything that can stay on the water.
But that’s all we can do.
And our loans are also just a lifeline.

But the ship will go further, and a lifebuoy will only allow you to stay on the water longer.
Отправить отзыв
История
Сохранено
Сообщества

Scott512

Record Breaker
Isn't it only on IG? I don't think she is at the ice rink. Like all other useless "noise", Alina will probably just tune it out.
Alina said she wants to keep the same coaches. She will still be training there even if not competing.

So at least short term everything seems as usual.
We shall see.
I only wish she did not commit to 100% returning to eteri because things may change in her time off. Especially if eteris sister keeps spewing crap. Zhenya stated in an interview she was going to return to eteri and six weeks later she was out the door. Things change especially when people change.

I hope Alina can tune, everything out. She will need to.

alinaaaaaaa nfool fool fool fool fool
WTH?

Amei

Record Breaker
Alina's teammate sees it completely differently. From Darya Usachyova's interview to gazeta.ru:

Well you completely chopped up my comment that completely distorts what I said and the point I made. I didn't state she's not interested in competing I said if she withdrew from Nationals for 'injury' but then was skating in a show shortly after that its going to fuel the fire that she's lacking motivation/not interested in competing (that by the way reputable commentators have said similar).

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm sad to see that Alina's taking a break because I love watching her skate, but at the same time, she totally deserves a break! She's already won all that there is to win, it's not surprising at all that she's decided to take a step back and re-evaluate her priorities and goals.

I wish her all the best in whatever she decides to do next, whether that's an eventual return to competition or pursuing other opportunities.

And if this truly is the end of her competitive career, then she sure has given us some amazing performances to remember her by. Her Olympic free skate, 2019 Worlds free skate, and 2019 GPF short program are 3 that I can see myself rewatching for years to come :luv17: