2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 447 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
In case of a WD, do they not follow the SB list? In that case, next in line are Sakhanovich, Tarusina and Gubanova...

The federation ( as in the federation hosting the event) can invite anyone on the season's best list that they choose to. They might choose to invite another Russian lady or they might decide to invite someone else like Young You (who only has one GP).

Fluture

Record Breaker

Thank you! She's a sentimental favourite. Her FS last season was so incredibly tacky and yet I shamelessly enjoyed every second of it. I hope she does well in the FS today. Same for Sima and Nugumanova. Go girls!! :cheer:

I get what you are saying, and believe me, I too have compassion for Sotskova and it breaks my heart to see her skating like this. She got her GP spot because of the world standings and that ranking is designed to keep "older" skaters in the mix so they don't quit if they have a couple of bad competitions. That's good. And it works if you are skating for any other federation, but Russia has too many talented skaters waiting in the wings so unfortunately this system does not work in their favour. These other skaters don't even get 'B' events so they don't even have a chance to make the Seasons Best List or the World Standings. There is perhaps at least 10-15 Russian girls that would have loved to go to Nepela Trophy and most of them would probably have ended up on the podium, but they didn't even get the chance.

I have loved seeing Leonova all these years, she has been a part of the GP circus for 11 years! There has always been a place for her, but the last couple of seasons the competition in Ladies in Russia are steeper than ever so this year Leonova is out. It's sad, yes, and I will miss Leonova, but me getting sentimental about it doesn't help the sport.

Well, I understand this point then. I do not think Sotskova (or anyone, really) should get leniency because of their personal/private struggles. And as a professional athlete, I think Maria would be insulted to even hear someone suggest this. So, I definitely agree that if she continues to perform badly, then she should not receive any GP spots next year. Same for Stanislava, really. She's a lovely skater and one of my personal favorites and I was very hopeful when I saw her skate so well at the Aurora Games. But if she doesn't keep up and keeps performing the way she did this weekend, skaters like Tarusina, Kanysheva, Sinitsyna and Tarakanova should earn the opportunity to prove themselves. As for Challenger events - well, I would say this is again RusFed's fault and not exactly due to a lack of spots. At least not yet. There could have been three girls at Nebelhorn Trophy and instead we have none. I understand not sending someone to the US challenger due to altitude, lack of funding and high costs. But Nebelhorn? Nugumanova, Gubanova and Talalaikina for example all could have skated there and could have had the opportunity at an early challenger to try and get a high enough SB to qualify for GP next season. This is a problem that really needs to be addressed. RusFed has so much talent under their wing and yet they don't even try to at least give everybody a chance. If you have 10-15 skaters who all could medal at challengers, you should fill every spot you're being offered. Period.

I agree that getting sentimental doesn't help the sport. Spots should be distributed fairly. But no matter what - I do firmly believe that these girls deserve respect and should not be called failures or be told that they should be embarrassed. Again, Leonova received spots for 11 years when some were open to her. Now they aren't and she's not skating well enough anymore so other girls have got the chance. Same will happen in the future for girls like Maria and co. if they don't step up their game. I'm all for that. They can earn GP spots if they skate well enough. But at least this year Maria, Sima and the others have earned their spots. The rules are the rules. And unless they change I personally see no use in telling any of these girls to give up their spots to someone else.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Ice Star entries should be published soon and I hope we see some ladies not on the GP get a chance to earn a high SB. From today’s event I think Ksenia Tsibinova deserves a chance - she turned 15 in January so she’s senior eligible. Liza N had a few URs but overall not bad performances from her either.

Then of course there’s Tarakanova and Vasilieva who I hope will each get a challenger to try to increase their SB with the additional choreo seq element.

klena

On the Ice
1st stage Cup of Russia

Top 5

1. K.Tsibinova 206.18
2. S.Sakhanovich 192.42
3. E.Nugumanova 184.18
4. M.Talalaikina 175.95
5. A.Gulyakova 170.84

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Thoughts on the Cup of Russia event:

1st - Ksenia Tsbinova -> She was the best here, both programs were skated well, Davydov skaters are all very consistent, despite she had some underrotations here overlooked by the judges. I don't like her style, the free program was not a great tango in my opinion. (didn't love both the music cut and the costume)

2nd - Serafima Sakhanovich -> Solid season debut for her, even though she could break 200 easily with a cleaner skate, obviously few things to fix: she was a bit tired in the 2nd half of the free and made some mistake, but the elements that were clean they were very solid, no question. Good improvements on the 2a, i noticed more expression compared to last season and i like both programs, they suit her style.

3rd - Elizaveta Nugumanova -> Still a lovely skater, she's always great to watch, spins are still amazing, she needs to work on the underrotations tho.

4th - Maria Talalaikina -> doubled the toe in the combination in the short, mistakes with the combos in the free. Not her best outing unfortunately but she looks mostly in shape.

5th - Anastasia Gulyakova -> she looked injured in the free, great start on the combination 3f-3t and the 3ltz (e?), then the rest of the program fell apart a bit and by the end she was visibly in pain.

Fluture

Record Breaker
1st stage Cup of Russia

Top3

1. K.Tsibinova 206.18
2. S.Sakhanovich 192.42
3. E.Nugumanova 184.18

Can't believe I missed the FS. Will have to rewatch it later. But yay for Sima, silver! Score's not too high, I guess she had some errors? But this should hopefully set her up nicely for her GP event and give her some confidence. I don't think I've ever heard of Tsibinova but 206 is a great score so it seems as if she's a solid skater. Nugumanova looks as if she had lots of URs as well... such a shame. I'll watch now and be back later. :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think RusFed's motivation to keep the less talented skaters in Russia has a lot to do with the money required to send skaters abroad. I am unsure how much the fed actually pays (flights, accomodation, etc) but it is bound to get expensive when it comes to travelling overseas. So I understand why no Russian women were sent to International US, and only Medvedeva went to ACI. Gotta admit I'm scratching my head regarding no entries at Nebelhorn, though, it is reasonably close to Russia.

As far as I know, rusfed pays only for the members of the team Russia (reserves included), therefore skaters like Gubanova should have their traveling expenses to challengers covered.
Other skaters that are members of local federations, i.e. Sakhanovich, Talalaikina, Gulyakova, who’re not members of team Russia, receive funding from the local Saint Petersburg fed.
Since the funding differs for local team and team Russia, it’s possible they were not able to cover travel costs to North America. But who knows...
I think it also can be due to politics too.
Some skaters receive 2-3 senior Bs every year (like Konstantinova who got 3 last year, which is an exception) and some receive none at all.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
As far as I know, rusfed pays only for the members of the team Russia (reserves included), therefore skaters like Gubanova should have their traveling expenses to challengers covered.
Other skaters that are members of local federations, i.e. Sakhanovich, Talalaikina, Gulyakova, who’re not members of team Russia, receive funding from the local Saint Petersburg fed.
Since the funding differs for local team and team Russia, it’s possible they were not able to cover travel costs to North America. But who knows...
I think it also can be due to politics too.
Some skaters receive 2-3 senior Bs every year (like Konstantinova who got 3 last year, which is an exception) and some receive none at all.

No Russian girls at Nebelhorn is a mystery though. It's probably a funding thing, but Team Rukavicin are sending Ignatov there, couldn't they have added one of his girls to go as well?

Fluture

Record Breaker
No Russian girls at Nebelhorn is a mystery though. It's probably a funding thing, but Team Rukavicin are sending Ignatov there, couldn't they have added one of his girls to go as well?

Until I'm proven otherwise, I still believe they will include Alina last minute or so. :biggrin: I see no reason for her not to skate there. The competition is rather weak, she had a great experience last year and a challenger in the early season is never a bad idea. She doesn't have to do one, of course, she will be fine without it. But still... it was great there for her last year, why wouldn't she go again? But then again, there weren't any Russian ladies assigned for Nebelhorn last year already, were they? Alina was only included because of her passport problems that prevented her from competing at Nepela... definitely weird. It's not like Nebelhorn is that far from Russia either like ACI or US Classics for example, so travel costs shouldn't be an issue.

tempo

On the Ice
BTW, Andrey Kutovoy was today in YT livestream's chat supporting his cousine Liza Nugumanova.
I didn't know they are relatives :)
Andrey has wrote there: "My father is a brother of Liza's mother."

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is there any video of Guliakova from the Russian cup free skate that happened today? I can’t find any. What music did she choose for her free skate?

I’m unfamiliar with the girl who won. Is she a junior or senior?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Is there any video of Guliakova from the Russian cup free skate that happened today? I can’t find any. What music did she choose for her free skate?

I’m unfamiliar with the girl who won. Is she a junior or senior?

Ksenia Tsibinova's skated as both a senior and a junior, mainly as a senior recently, and placed 5th and 6th at her cup events (stages 3 and 5, respectively) last year. The screen showed that she was with Davydov now, but she's been with Panova before that.

MalAssada

Medalist
I'm starting to think Trusova's LP doesn't feature her as Daenerys, but as Drogon. She certainly flies when she jumps, and roasts her competitors once her program is done. I'm not a fan of the Dracaerys at the end, but it will probably grow on me.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I'm starting to think Trusova's LP doesn't feature her as Daenerys, but as Drogon. She certainly flies when she jumps, and roasts her competitors once her program is done. I'm not a fan of the Dracaerys at the end, but it will probably grow on me.

Maybe you are right. Aleksandra's image seems to be connected with the dragons, first cradling a hatchling, setting if free, chasing after it, revelling in its freedom. Then learning how to control it, imposing her will on it, finally realising she controls a weapon and setting it loose? Her dress might represent the three dragons united in one? Would like to hear a thorough analysis in the style of this blogger's excellent postings: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...Shcherbakova&p=2459154&viewfull=1#post2459154

The staged image might seem simple and disconnected from the actual skating, but knowing Gleikhengauz, there must be some hidden meaning that will perhaps reveal itself over time when we've seen the routine a few more times.