2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 283 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think this is in very poor taste. Evgenia is a lovely young lady. Alina is a lovely young lady. Both would have made wonderful OGM and would have represented their sport and country well.

Let us not take women's accomplishments and boil them down to who is prettier and who has the more pleasant voice.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think this is in very poor taste. Evgenia is a lovely young lady. Alina is a lovely young lady. Both would have made wonderful OGM and would have represented their sport and country well.

Let us not take women's accomplishments and boil them down to who is prettier and who has the more pleasant voice.

Thank you!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Ideally this would be so, but marketeers know exactly what works best for their projected markets and target audiences. One should compare campaigns by exposure and penetration.
Don't underestimate Masaru, she has iconic value that adds to Alina's. A toy Masaru in Don Quichote dress will sell to the small children when Alina's face is on the box along with her picture in the same red dress.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Ideally this would be so, but marketeers know exactly what works best for their projected markets and target audiences. One should compare campaigns by exposure and penetration.

But instead the girls got compared ;)

mathlike

On the Ice
Here are some figure skating memes of our Russian ladies so that I don‘t have to listen to some more ridiculous nonsense of comparing which one of two absolutely unique and beautiful girls has the “nicer voice“ and is ”prettier“

Tell that to Japanese people, who are obsessed about certain looks and ready to pay for it.
Anyway, as Alina says: "be happy, don't stress out". :agree:

Vandevska

Medalist
Here are some figure skating memes of our Russian ladies so that I don‘t have to listen to some more ridiculous nonsense of comparing which one of two absolutely unique and beautiful girls has the “nicer voice“ and is ”prettier“:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zeqfHpVRb/?igshid=13xwwjzs0pab5

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0wr4xMpnfo/?igshid=1iiarut2pul14

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1BYIm6JNGt/?igshid=19eraz42u4oto

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0an76vJTwT/?igshid=k72vmwv7v3yf

From the Med meme: ^_^

2, 6 - me when I read the ridiculous comment about beauty above
1, 3 - how I feel about JGP/ the season starting
4 - my reaction when I got a call for a job I never expected and then actually got employed
7,9 - me when I passed the Probability and Statistics exam
5, 7 - how I'll feel when I finally graduate (I keep imagining myself right after I present my thesis saying "Dobby is free!!! Master gave Dobby a diploma!!")
8 - me every time I have to learn a new thing once again.... which is pretty constant.... because... IT :biggrin:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

It isn't really on topic though and this thread, which has a lot of traffic, needs to be kept on topic.

It might make for an interesting but probably highly contentious subject for debate.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia

Aren't you taking things a bit too seriously? :) No harm was meant to Zhenya, the comment was obvioulsy used as a personal compliment to Alina.

Vandevska

Medalist

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

4 - my reaction when I got a call for a job I never expected and then actually got employed
5, 7 - how I'll feel when I finally graduate (I keep imagining myself right after I present my thesis saying "Dobby is free!!! Master gave Dobby a diploma!!")
8 - me every time I have to learn a new thing once again.... which is pretty constant.... because... IT :biggrin:

This is a great post. :thumbsup:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Aren't you taking things a bit too seriously? :) No harm was meant to Zhenya, the comment was obvioulsy used as a personal compliment to Alina.

You can compliment Alina without insulting Evgenia.

And all of this is off topic anyway.

mathlike

On the Ice
This is a very unfair characterization of an entire country based on your own point of view. It is stereotyping.
Nah, it's not my point of view, it's me watching several interviews with Japanese people, when they praise people's facial features, they write it down in articles, you can even find it in wikipedia.
My entire fault is agreeing with them in this particular case. ;)

Fluture

Record Breaker

Love it! I‘ll give it a try:

2 - my med-look when I see someone forgot to take their meds again and is busy doing ridiculous trolling instead
4 me when I see a real Ina Bauer in a Daniil program
3 seeing a thread called ”the Tutberidze effect“ or sth like that on the edge forum, knowing to expect some... passionate responses
6 knowing that the end of the off-season also means the end of summer
5 still me when the season finally starts because skating is more important than lying in the sun
8 me after doing literally anything lol. Also: me while trying not to engage with certain users on here and having to stick to memes and some less effective sarcasm
1 finding out Sasha will skate to GOT and hearing her little brothers tell her to stay kind and nice and also tear her competition into pieces
9 me realising that I can actually stand a reasonable amount of the music choices for my faves

I tried to make it skating related and the numbers are terribly thrown together because that‘s the way I came up with the ideas.. :laugh:

NaVi

Medalist
I don't know how much Alina is making... and I wouldn't trust the Forbes number and the ESPN number is ridiculous. But there are a few things going for her endorsement wise.

• Her Instagram engagement rate is extremely(almost ridiculously) good. 3% is often considered good but her's is around 15%. This makes her instagram account much more valuable that it may seem. She has as much Instagram engagement as Ovechkin who has twice as many instagram followers: https://influencermarketinghub.com/top-sports-influencers-russia/
  • There's not many female sports stars in Russia to compete for attention with. Russian ladies tennis has declined. Rhythmic gymnasts are not quite as popular(though they quite often have modelling opportunities).
  • Some will hate me for saying this, but Russia kind of under performs in the major sports... so there's less general competition for endorsements. There's been the doping scandal too.
  • Zagitova is not only Olympic champion... but the sole solo gold medalist of the 2018 Olympics. The ratings were huge for the event and figure skating ratings have become pretty good in Russia.
  • Her followers trend young and female... which is a good demographic for fashion brands.
  • A lot of her fans are outside of Russia... especially Japan. PUMA started sponsoring Wakaba after Alina.
  • Figure skating is a very ficky sport performance wise... which makes it not so great for sponsors... but again she is Olympic champion so she'll always have that going for her.

I would suspect she's made at least $150,000 from endorsements in the past year.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Don't underestimate Masaru, she has iconic value that adds to Alina's. A toy Masaru in Don Quichote dress will sell to the small children when Alina's face is on the box along with her picture in the same red dress.
And I dislike seeing dogs wearing such costumes because humans find it cute. That's a dog not a doll to dress up.and I mean that in general , also in everyday life,

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
And I dislike seeing dogs wearing such costumes because humans find it cute. That's a dog not a doll to dress up.

Toy marketeers will tell you otherwise. A toy Tina in one of Trusova's more recognisable dresses will sell too. Anna Shcherbakova, has a dog too, Alyona Kostornaya a whole zoo IIRC, plus she rides her aunt's horse, if these skaters take over Japan, their pets become valuable assets in their marketing. Cute pets always melt hearts.

Children and teens from affluent families have a considerable spending income, or pulling power on their parents wallets. 4A would sell well if they cater to this market.

Medvyedeva on the other hand has little market appeal to under 16 y.o.'s I think. She needs to appeal to the older teens and twens (do twens still exist in marketing?) or young adults in general. Also also I think her 'market position' in Russia is more difficult compared to Zagitova's.

All in all I praise Zagitova (her parents/agent) and Khrustalniy/FKKM/FFKKR or whomever the contract partner is, on how careful and controlled they market their brightest star in figure skating. No overexposure, reasonable classy commercial outings, a plane painted in your honour, a racehorse named after you, most sportpersons would be very glad having such an image and exposure.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Lastly, the average monthly salary in Moscow is 1,000 USD, so 12K/year. If Alina is making 500K-2 million USD, she could easily afford to have her mom, dad, and sister live with her in Moscow, but she lives with Grandma in some tiny apartment. Yes, she gets salary for being on the national team, a pension for being an Olympic champion,and she is moving to a new apartment but Russia is not swimming in money. The Russian economy is stagnant with economic sanctions and depressed oil and gas prices. I have no doubt Alina earns good living by Russian standards, she most likely earn quite a bit more than her parents but a top figure skaters is by no means a global celebrity.

First of all, we sort of know her gross earnings now but we don't know the net after she pays her dues to whatever interested parties that she pays.

Second, even if her net income were equal to the mentioned sum no one including herself knows for how many years it will last. If she amortizes 3-4 years of such earnings over 40-50 years yet to come it will be a small sum. A decent 2 bedroom apartment in Moscow costs $300,000 - 500,000. With her net worth she could hardly afford to buy it, at least now. I am not talking about nice apartments that cost 1 million and up.

Third, why would her dad and sister go to Moscow? Her dad has a nice job with Ak-Bars now. No one offered him a job in Moscow as far as I know.

Fourth, what Russian economy and sanctions have to do with it? I could start to explain things but politics is not welcome here.