2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 118 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

moriel

Record Breaker
@Payako, there is this thing
Buyanova is not really known for fixing jump technique and improving consistency. She just does the politiking lately.

I mean, Sotskova and Tsurskaya got 2 GPs each last season too.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Well people are saying like ugly wobbled muscled about her jumps.If I am wrong, then tell me the deficiencies that you think.
And i think you did not watch her protocol.You can see there is no deduction for her scores.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpf1617/

Seriously both are not like yuna or tuktamysheva.I don't expect them to have no problem with their jumps.

If you are saying that she scored 141 at Euros.How about Gp Gpf Worlds WTT?Euros was generous.Big score is not that important.Scoring is a relative thing.It becomes more important when it comes to compare with other skaters in same competiton.

Right she is european champion.But It doesnt mean she's very talented.She is not like Zagitova or Medvedeva.
Rusfed didn't want her to go Euros.They wanted zagitova, Konstantionova and Medvedeva.She was third at national even she almost made clean performance while Zagitova and konstantinova made many mistakes.Ialready knew Rusfed will send konstantinova over Sofia.But I never expected Tuktamysheva to getpneumonia😨

Sofia is so lucky compare with someone who always has been victim of corruption.😆Honestly Gubanova or tarusina should have gone to Euros and could be champion.When underscoring pcs and spin levels, chances are gone.😅

Even nastya always has been underscored but I expect next season will be quite different for her.Because It looks like she is going to get GP spots.This means Buyanova is working.And we know what Buyanova has done with her authority for a long time.I'm very interested to see what's going on😄

You're reducing all jumping deficiencies to "ugly jumping having no affect on scoring". That is untrue, if you refer to the ISU handbook.
You can refer to moriel's post that highlights TES of both skaters through the season, and also probability of scoring more in comparison. You'll see that Gubanova scoring higher than Samodurova is not favourable. The fact of the matter is, Samodurova, while being not "very talented", has fared much better than Gubanova. She placed well during 2 GPs, made GPF, Euros, and World's. And won Euros. All while having higher scores than Nastia, who didn't have any of these accomplishments the past season. She isn't just "lucky", she earned everything she got this season, fair and square. Scoring, sending whomever to which competition, is a hugely debated topic with the Russian ladies, but I don't think anyone can argue that Sofia didn't earn everything this season, whether you like her or not, and that scoring, placement, and ranking wise - where quantitative facts are involved - , she is doing much better than Nastia.

moriel

Record Breaker
My conclusion here: Samodurova may not be the most gifted of skaters out there. But she goes out and does what she knows. She doesn't let nerves get to her. She doesnt bomb. Yes, sometimes she makes mistakes, but you can be sure she will go there and score her 200-210 points.
It is debatable if we can call "better" a skater who can score, lets say 220-230 once a season, but scores 180-190 most of the time. Because most of the time, someone like Samodurova will beat this skater.
Also, this skater will be lucky to peak at Worlds, lets say, because well, it could happen at some B competition.

Payako

Rinkside
You're reducing all jumping deficiencies to "ugly jumping having no affect on scoring". That is untrue, if you refer to the ISU handbook.
You can refer to moriel's post that highlights TES of both skaters through the season, and also probability of scoring more in comparison. You'll see that Gubanova scoring higher than Samodurova is not favourable. The fact of the matter is, Samodurova, while being not "very talented", has fared much better than Gubanova. She placed well during 2 GPs, made GPF, Euros, and World's. And won Euros. All while having higher scores than Nastia, who didn't have any of these accomplishments the past season. She isn't just "lucky", she earned everything she got this season, fair and square. Scoring, sending whomever to which competition, is a hugely debated topic with the Russian ladies, but I don't think anyone can argue that Sofia didn't earn everything this season, whether you like her or not, and that scoring, placement, and ranking wise - where quantitative facts are involved - , she is doing much better than Nastia.

Well after you watched her protocol there is no deduction for her jumping technique.Lol I'm just done.Scoring is not about book.If it's like that I'm sure all russian skaters should stop jumping except Tuktamysheva.
I'm not saying Nastya has great technique, but still she gets high Goe on her jumps.I don't know why If you're curious go to judges and ask them.

As I mentioned scoring is relative thing that comparing their scores is meaningful when they are in same competiton.It doesn't mean Gubanova got 76.84tes,is better than Sofia.Because Sofia was not there.
They once competed at national last season.Nastya was of course very underscored.You can see they even lowered two spin levels which have no problem.Again definitely Gubanova should way ahead of Sofia in Pcs.

Do you remember people are very surprised when Sofia become European champion?People already knew she had insane consistency.Then why they are surprised?
Because they did not expect other skater's failure.They thought there will be no spots for Sofia as many other skaters are talented than her.

If you think she's talented compare to other russian skaters,then explain me why Sofia can't win over other skaters when they did not make mistake.
Everyone will agree she is just so lucky.
She can't be anything if there are no mistakes from other skaters.That is the biggest weakness she has.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
I just read the interview with Lakernik and something caught muy attention...

"Rafailovich: And yet: the three juniors from Tutberidze - Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya - can count on two stages of the Grand Prix?

Lakernik: I think, two of the three world championship medalists, for sure. But Kostornaya was not at the World Championship. It will be discussed."

Does this mean Kostornaya might get only 1 GP assignment initially just because she missed Jr Worlds? :rolleye:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well after you watched her protocol there is no deduction for her jumping technique.Lol I'm just done.Scoring is not about book.If it's like that I'm sure all russian skaters should stop jumping except Tuktamysheva.
I'm not saying Nastya has great technique, but still she gets high Goe on her jumps.I don't know why If you're curious go to judges and ask them.

As I mentioned scoring is relative thing that comparing their scores is meaningful when they are in same competiton.It doesn't mean Gubanova got 76.84tes,is better than Sofia.Because Sofia was not there.
They once competed at national last season.Nastya was of course very underscored.You can see they even lowered two spin levels which have no problem.Again definitely Gubanova should way ahead of Sofia in Pcs.

Do you remember people are very surprised when Sofia become European champion?People already knew she had insane consistency.Then why they are surprised?
Because they did not expect other skater's failure.They thought there will be no spots for Sofia as many other skaters are talented than her.

If you think she's talented compare to other russian skaters,then explain me why Sofia can't win over other skaters when they did not make mistake.
Everyone will agree she is just so lucky.
She can't be anything if there are no mistakes from other skaters.That is the biggest weakness she has.

I think a lot in elite sport depends on mentality. Even so than on talent. All the talent in the world can‘t help you if you aren‘t mentally strong or don‘t know how to work hard.

Didn‘t Eteri once say Zhenya wasn‘t as inherently talented as other girls? (she obviously is talented given that she‘s able to compete at such a level, just in comparison) Well, look at where she is now. Twice World Champ, Olympic silver, medaled at the most important competition her entire four senior years. And often she won because she had the strongest mind, because she kept her nerves under control. This is not easy to do and imo, more impressive than just talent. You get talent from birth. It depends on what you do with it.

And Sofia is the same. Maybe her jumps are tiny and she doesn‘t have the same skating skills as Gubanova. Well, but she lands her stuff. You can rely on her. She didn‘t crumble under pressure at Euros when she witnessed Alina crumble herself and realised she could literally beat the OGM. Really, I think she deserves tons of respect for that because I think there are a lot of skaters out there who would have lost focus at such a prospect. This is not luck. Being focused and calm even when under the biggest pressure is not luck. It‘s strength and a very admirable one at that.

Nastya has a lot of qualities, she has gorgeous skating skills, beautiful spins and she‘s musical. And if landed, her jumps ARE better than Sofia’s because she gets better height and distance. There‘s just the thing that she isn‘t as consistent and it‘s not only about falling - often the landings are rough and two-footed. With Sofia that‘s rarely the case. She‘s reliable and also, I don‘t think consistency is her only quality. She‘s not particularly musical and her programs don’t include the most difficult transitions but she‘s definitely a very engaging performer. Her Euros FS is one of my favourites to rewatch because she‘s energetic, joyful and radiates confidence and playfulness. I think this shouldn‘t be overlooked.

I would definitely say Nastya has been unfairly overlooked in the past by the fed and she definitely deserves a chance. I‘m very happy to see her on the reserve team and hope for her to get those two GP spots. But I don‘t think we can say that Nastya is ”better“ than Sofia on the baseline of what she can theoretically do or what she did two seasons ago. At the moment, Sofia is performing better and that‘s the only thing that matters. Should Nastya start to land her jumps reliably, I would definitely put her above Sofia. So far? No way.

moriel

Record Breaker

"Rafailovich: And yet: the three juniors from Tutberidze - Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya - can count on two stages of the Grand Prix?

Lakernik: I think, two of the three world championship medalists, for sure. But Kostornaya was not at the World Championship. It will be discussed."

Does this mean Kostornaya might get only 1 GP assignment initially just because she missed Jr Worlds? :rolleye:

I mean, it could happen.
My guess here that she may get 1 GP + then Russia invites her to Rostelecom maybe?
I would make no sense if they dont.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well, that seems understandable and fair. Is there still a chance for her to get JGPs? I'm hoping she keeps improving and doesn't fall too far behind her peers in terms of consistency and assignments. I really like her skating.

Two or three days ago somebody reminded Alyona Kostornaya during 2017/2018 season. She wasn't in the team, she wasn't even in reserve and wasn't invited to test skates. But due to her spectacular performance during Cup of Moscow she received JGP spot and because she won in Poland, she received another.

So, everything is possible for Daria and Maya.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I mean, it could happen.
My guess here that she may get 1 GP + then Russia invites her to Rostelecom maybe?
I would make no sense if they dont.

Sofia only had one GP event initially last season and she got two in the end, didn‘t she? I mean, I love Sofia but she never won a medal at Senior Nats, or medaled at Junior Worlds/JGPF. Alena has two medals from both Nationals, and two medals from the JGPF, including gold + one silver from JWorlds. Unless she bombs test skates hard, I can‘t see a reason why they‘d possibly think about her not getting two GPs.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Sofia only had one GP event initially last season and she got two in the end, didn‘t she? I mean, I love Sofia but she never won a medal at Senior Nats, or medaled at Junior Worlds/JGPF. Alena has two medals from both Nationals, and two medals from the JGPF, including gold + one silver from JWorlds. Unless she bombs test skates hard, I can‘t see a reason why they‘d possibly think about her not getting two GPs.

If I understand correctly, senior GPs aren't decided by the fed. So her national placements don't count; only her SB does. They will submit her for sure, then everything depends on whether she'll be invited to other events. RusFed can only chose to invite her (and they will) and give her the host spot if it comes to that.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
If I understand correctly, senior GPs aren't decided by the fed. So her national placements don't count; only her SB does. They will submit her for sure, then everything depends on whether she'll be invited to other events. RusFed can only chose to invite her (and they will) and give her the host spot if it comes to that.
Actually, to my understanding the fed can decide who gets spots. 3 ladies are guaranteed two spots and 9 are guaranteed one, but if the federation does not submit them, then they do not get that “guaranteed” spot. That’s why Sima’s guaranteed spot might not actually be given to her. But once the skater is submitted, yes, events are supposed to invite them (but the seeded skaters get to choose I believe).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
My conclusion here: Samodurova may not be the most gifted of skaters out there. But she goes out and does what she knows. She doesn't let nerves get to her. She doesnt bomb. Yes, sometimes she makes mistakes, but you can be sure she will go there and score her 200-210 points.
It is debatable if we can call "better" a skater who can score, lets say 220-230 once a season, but scores 180-190 most of the time. Because most of the time, someone like Samodurova will beat this skater.
Also, this skater will be lucky to peak at Worlds, lets say, because well, it could happen at some B competition.

In retrospect though it is debatable if Samodurova should have gone to Worlds. We knew that she couldn't medal there. She just didn't have the TES and PCS content. As a European champion, it is understandable that the RusFed sent her, but deep down I think many would have liked to have seen Tuktamysheva instead at Worlds. RusFed's hands were tied here. I am not saying Tuktamysheva would have medalled, she probably would have been snubbed by Medvedeva again, but I think Tukt could have been a bigger contender.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

:scratch2::drama::shocked::reye:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Sadly, I can't see her learning 3a or a quad. Her jump technique is kind of wonky. But I would love to be surprised! At least this season, I want her to go out on the SGP, land everything (3Lz-3Lp, 3F-3T) and be happy with that. Her SS and other PCS will finally be recognized (no offense to Samodurova, but Gubanova is way ahead in terms of PCS and really in TES). She can stand out.

I think a lot in elite sport depends on mentality. Even so than on talent. All the talent in the world can‘t help you if you aren‘t mentally strong or don‘t know how to work hard.

Didn‘t Eteri once say Zhenya wasn‘t as inherently talented as other girls? (she obviously is talented given that she‘s able to compete at such a level, just in comparison) Well, look at where she is now. Twice World Champ, Olympic silver, medaled at the most important competition her entire four senior years. And often she won because she had the strongest mind, because she kept her nerves under control. This is not easy to do and imo, more impressive than just talent. You get talent from birth. It depends on what you do with it.

And Sofia is the same. Maybe her jumps are tiny and she doesn‘t have the same skating skills as Gubanova. Well, but she lands her stuff. You can rely on her. She didn‘t crumble under pressure at Euros when she witnessed Alina crumble herself and realised she could literally beat the OGM. Really, I think she deserves tons of respect for that because I think there are a lot of skaters out there who would have lost focus at such a prospect. This is not luck. Being focused and calm even when under the biggest pressure is not luck. It‘s strength and a very admirable one at that.

Nastya has a lot of qualities, she has gorgeous skating skills, beautiful spins and she‘s musical. And if landed, her jumps ARE better than Sofia’s because she gets better height and distance. There‘s just the thing that she isn‘t as consistent and it‘s not only about falling - often the landings are rough and two-footed. With Sofia that‘s rarely the case. She‘s reliable and also, I don‘t think consistency is her only quality. She‘s not particularly musical and her programs don’t include the most difficult transitions but she‘s definitely a very engaging performer. Her Euros FS is one of my favourites to rewatch because she‘s energetic, joyful and radiates confidence and playfulness. I think this shouldn‘t be overlooked.

I would definitely say Nastya has been unfairly overlooked in the past by the fed and she definitely deserves a chance. I‘m very happy to see her on the reserve team and hope for her to get those two GP spots. But I don‘t think we can say that Nastya is ”better“ than Sofia on the baseline of what she can theoretically do or what she did two seasons ago. At the moment, Sofia is performing better and that‘s the only thing that matters. Should Nastya start to land her jumps reliably, I would definitely put her above Sofia. So far? No way.

Thank you for that very detailed informative and fair post. There's a lot of pressure on Anastasias tiny shoulders now. People are expecting very good things from her this season but she has 3a to deal with besides everyone else. Sofia did not have to deal with 3a last year.except at Nationals and we know what Anna Sasha and Alena did to everyone else. I'm hoping Nastya can become more consistent. it will make her beautiful skating and superb skating skills look even better when she skates cleaner.

The Grand Prix season for the ladies is going to be incredible. How many girls did Russia send to the Grand Prix finals last year? 3? 4? Could they get five this year?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The Grand Prix season for the ladies is going to be incredible. How many girls did Russia send to the Grand Prix finals last year? 3? 4? Could they get five this year?

For seniors: Zagitova, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova (second alternate Konstantinova, third alternate Medvedeva)
For juniors: Trusova, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova and the ones staying junior were Tarakanova and Kanysheva with Tarusina as first alternate

It is going to be even more competitive this coming season. Too many Russians and not enough spots. I can't wait to see where they all go.

Amei

Record Breaker

I can understand some not agreeing that a rookie with no track record on the Senior circuit getting 2 GPs over someone like Sotskova that would be guaranteed 1 GP based on her World standings that was earned from her results on the Senior circuit is unlikely to get submitted for GPs based on the national team that was announced.

katymay

Medalist
Two or three days ago somebody reminded Alyona Kostornaya during 2017/2018 season. She wasn't in the team, she wasn't even in reserve and wasn't invited to test skates. But due to her spectacular performance during Cup of Moscow she received JGP spot and because she won in Poland, she received another.

So, everything is possible for Daria and Maya.

Anya wasn't on the list last year either was she? Not even as a reserve.?

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
I can understand some not agreeing that a rookie with no track record on the Senior circuit getting 2 GPs over someone like Sotskova that would be guaranteed 1 GP based on her World standings that was earned from her results on the Senior circuit is unlikely to get submitted for GPs based on the national team that was announced.

I guess it would only be fair for Sostkova to get 1 GP, based on World Standings... but, since it's Russian Ladies we're talking about, I guess there's no guarantee.

Only 4 ladies (Zagitova, Medvedeva, Trusova and Scherbakova) are 100% guaranteed 2 spots based on their medals at senior and junior Worlds. That leaves 10 spots for the rest of the ladies.

We have 18 GP spots and 9 ladies on the national team (inc. reserves):

Zagitova 2
Medvedeva 2
Trusova 2
Scherbakova 2
Kostornaya 1
Tuktamysheva 1
Samodurova 1
Gubanova 1
Konstantinova 1

That's 13 spots... If Sotskova gets her 1 spot, that leaves only 4 spots available for the 6 remaining 1-spot ladies.

Now, on a more likely scenario, where at least the 7 ladies on the national team each get 2 guaranteed spots, we have:

Zagitova 2
Medvedeva 2
Trusova 2
Scherbakova 2
Kostornaya 2
Tuktamysheva 2
Samodurova 2
Gubanova 1
Konstantinova 1

Sotskova 1

That's 17 spots, which leaves only 1 open spot for 3 ladies... and I'm not including any other ladies besides Sotskova who are not on the national team.

This is crazy!! Russia, even with so many spots, still have some tough decisions to make and possibly even have to leave some talented skaters out altogether because they have so many to pick from. :shocked: