2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 120 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Orlov

Medalist
and that video doesn't even pause at the moment her toepick hits the ice

what?

Are you seriously do not see her outside edge, slight lutz's move before the toepick hit? do not see flat edge at moment of hit? well, okey i'm powerless here)) But don't be surprised if next time technical panels will not be so funny like you.

P.S. And my dear medoroa I answered you here about all your smart words about "camera's 3D position" and "access to an AI"

macy

Record Breaker
Bradie has improved leaps and bounds since her GP debut 2 years ago. No she isn't at the level of someone like Carolina Kostner, but i applaud her efforts. PCS is something really hard to change, and she looks in great shape for coming off an injury. But, i hate to be that person...her dresses :gaah: i'm not sure who her seamstress is, but she is doing Bradie a major disservice. The FS isn't bad, but the SP dress looks very cheaply made. The girl is a US champion, Olympian and gets top funding from USFSA...why isn't someone who is known for doing great work making her dresses? whether we like to admit it or not, costumes are a huge part of packaging in skating and it's just not there. i guess if Bradie is happy with them it is what it is, but it makes me frustrated.

Grin

Medalist
Medvedeva is not the skater of 2-3 years ago. Bradie is skating near her peak and a bronze is certainly in reach.

You mean Medvedeva improved under Brian Orser - better technique, better skating skills, better choreography etc. Or not?

Btw, can someone tell me whom or what is Bradie portraying in her SP?

andromache

Record Breaker
I love Bradie's programs this season. She has made incredible improvements every season. I admire her hard work. In particular, I think her SP is a masterpiece. It's extremely unique, and she sells the heck out of it. I've had a soft spot for Bradie ever since she started getting a lot of hate for winning Nationals in 2018, and I'm glad to see she has really found her artistic niche. Would be a big surprise to see her make the GP final.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
You mean Medvedeva improved under Brian Orser - better technique, better skating skills, better choreography etc. Or not?

No clue I find bradies SP very put on and cringe, like she’s trying to act mature and diva-like but it feels fake. I like her FS a lot more, you can really see the improvement. As for evgenia I think Bradies jumps are a lot more solid, but Evgenia is miles ahead of her artistically and should beat her fairly if clean.

medoroa

On the Ice

This is pretty off-topic for this thread, but I've been waiting for Medvedeva's better choreography for a while now and thinking about how in retrospect, Averbukh sure knew how to cater to her style. I rewatched her The Leftovers recently and it was great.

The music...? :scratch2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is pretty off-topic for this thread, but I've been waiting for Medvedeva's better choreography for a while now and thinking about how in retrospect, Averbukh sure knew how to cater to her style. I rewatched her The Leftovers recently and it was great.

Right!!

macy

Record Breaker
on another note, Ashley Wagner announced today she will be going to school next spring to become a clinical psychologist. go Ashley!

Grin

Medalist

Mechanisms? Is she portraying some kind of mechanisms? Wow, that is such a bold move from her. Like you know - make you weakness become your strength! Great!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mechanisms? Is she portraying some kind of mechanisms? Wow, that is such a bold move from her. Like you know - make you weakness become your strength! Great!

I think the user meant, and correct me if I’m totally wrong here, how the music sounds. She’s skating to the sounds of the music. Not literally portraying the title or anything else. Just being herself and skating to how the music sees fit.

Grin

Medalist
I think the user meant, and correct me if I’m totally wrong here, how the music sounds. She’s skating to the sounds of the music. Not literally portraying the title or anything else. Just being herself and skating to how the music sees fit.

Ah, I see. Anyway, we all liked her short program. So we can say that she portrayed the music very well.

Grin

Medalist
Bradie's music has some ticking background sounds in the second half. And her movements are so fast and precise just like clock hands. I'm Alena's fan but I think even Alena couldn't portray that music better than Bradie. My congratulations to Bradie on the silver medal.

macy

Record Breaker
so next weekend, Bradie is the only US lady at Skate Canada. She will face Sasha, Evgenia, and Rika- some tough competition. I am going to go ahead and make the obvious assumption Sasha will easily win if clean- where will Bradie stack up against the others? Can she make the podium?

i think she can pull out a bronze or maybe even a silver if there are mistakes made.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think a bronze is possible. Zhenya is not extremely consistent, and Bradie could edge her out in TES due to no e call on her lutz and higher spin GOE. I think it will be close.

Hard to imagine Trusova not winning, and Rika is relatively consistent other than a botched 3A sometimes, but solid on her other triples.

Then again, I never expected Bradie to have a chance against Liza, and Skate America proved me wrong. We'll see.

I do think Bradie will likely be at a disadvantage because she is doing back-to-back events while she's still returning from injury. It seems like it will probably be strenuous.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think a bronze is possible. Zhenya is not extremely consistent, and Bradie could edge her out in TES due to no e call on her lutz and higher spin GOE. I think it will be close.

Hard to imagine Trusova not winning, and Rika is relatively consistent other than a botched 3A sometimes, but solid on her other triples.

Then again, I never expected Bradie to have a chance against Liza, and Skate America proved me wrong. We'll see.

I do think Bradie will likely be at a disadvantage because she is doing back-to-back events while she's still returning from injury. It seems like it will probably be strenuous.

I do think bronze is possible but also wonder if the back to back weeks will effect her, we shall find out this weekend. I loved both her programs as well.

medoroa

On the Ice

I think you need to branch out from the idea that programs must express a concrete concept or be a "play" of some sort. As far as physical expression accompanied by music goes, what you're conceptualizing is in the minority. (So your question was genuinely puzzling to me. :scratch2:)

Grin

Medalist
I think you need to branch out from the idea that programs must express a concrete concept or be a "play" of some sort. As far as physical expression accompanied by music goes, what you're conceptualizing is in the minority. (So your question was genuinely puzzling to me. :scratch2:)

Probably I got used to programs where skater portrays a particular character. So if there is no character at all I still subconsciously draw it in my mind.

Probably I got used to programs where skater portrays a particular character. So if there is no character at all I still subconsciously draw it in my mind.

There are lots of examples of programs where the skater skates to the character of the music, not necessarily pretending to be Juliet or Don Quixote. My favorite was Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica LP in 1998.

In 1996 she portrayed the Biblical character Salome. In 1997 she presented herself in the character of a generic exotic Indian or Middle Eastern lady (if not exactly the queen Mumtaz Mahal herself https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ait_of_Mumtaz_Mahal_(Arjumand_Banu_Begum).jpg)

But in 1998 her choreographer (Lori Nichol) decided to go with the theme, "Michelle Kwan skating." :)

Last edited: