2024 U.S. Nationals - Where Are You Watching? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals - Where Are You Watching?

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't know where else to put this but I'm watching on Peacock and am completely disgusted and irritated beyond belief at the commentary. The two of them talk constantly and obsessively and it's ruining the competition for me. Ashley is horrible. And I swear Adam talks a lot just trying to out do her. I never thought I'd say this but they actually make Tara look good!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually like the Peacock App because it has so many high quality replay options and some pretty good features overall but lawdy lawdy it takes two full donkey years to load the Home Screen when using my FireStick! :bang:.

I have had the privilege of being in the arena so far and it’s really nice to come home watch the replay.

I think Tara and Johhny are enjoyable for the most part and I actually look forward to them but I think the intended mission NBC has given them is to keep things fun and somewhat young. Johhny has a very descriptive vocabulary and is really good at describing elements in very clear terms of how skaters and judges think in a way the average viewer can understand too. The only true gripe I have with them is that sometimes Tara needs to wait and find a better moment to start her commentary. There have been far too many times where the instant a program starts she starts talking all the way up into the first element. Tara…I love you but please let the music and skater create a mood for you to comment on or at least let me hear the first few notes of the music :cool:

Adam and Ashley seemed to have had an almost toxic positivity about everyone who skated from what I watched. I’ve never really heard them commentate before but was expecting some fiery sass. They aren't bad imo but could bring a little more pizazz when describing the technical aspects but listening to them gush over some of the skaters I really really like early on more than made up for it.

TL;DR and to answer the thread title…yeah…I’m watching on Peacock :ROFLMAO:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
lol @ "toxic positivity" They do always seem to have to say something like "she's a great skater though" or "she's an amazing performer". Ashley's annoying habit is to say "Was it a perfect program? No, but...." or "Was it the most difficult program? No, but...." All commentators have annoying overused habits... like Charlie White used to say "absolutely" a million times... Tara and Johnny with their "That's a one point mandatory deduction for a fall" (although I hear Adam and Ashley say this too!)

I don't really mind either commentary duo... sometimes they say things I don't agree with or don't like, sometimes they say things I am thinking and do like. I'm okay with it.

Now listening to the Youth Olympics last night though - that commentary was not good in my opinion. The lady would guess the score or placement before the scores came up and would often be wrong and say "oh well, it's okay wherever they place" lol and the guy obviously did not know figure skating.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many more videos uploaded today by some generous posters.
You should be able to see most of the final two groups in all divisions for as long as they last.
If you are a poster, thank you on behalf of the fans here from around the globe.:thank::cheer2::cheer::hap10:

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Funny to read people's opinions on different commentary. I'd been watching on Peacock the whole Nationals, and then for the Pairs Free I watched NBC live (it was Saturday night and I felt like it - what a depressing segment to watch live, but anyway...). I turned NBC on and was instantly bothered by the long explanations of the technical score box, the GOE sprinkles and extra credit comments, the one-point off for a fall (without mentioning anything at all about automatic -5 GOE, which is more damaging than a 1-point deduction), Johnny's cultural references that I don't get, and in general how they take so many words to say things rather than being concise. Oh, and the "Terrence" stuff and whether Johnny is excited because skaters are using certain music. Adam and Ashley talked a lot, but their comments didn't bother me like Tara and Johnny did.

My preference is no commentary, but that wasn't an option, and overall I liked Adam and Ashley more than Tara and Johnny.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have one suggestion for dance commentary -
Jean-Luc is available. Someone please ask if he will do commentary!
Funny to read people's opinions on different commentary. I'd been watching on Peacock the whole Nationals, and then for the Pairs Free I watched NBC live (it was Saturday night and I felt like it - what a depressing segment to watch live, but anyway...). I turned NBC on and was instantly bothered by the long explanations of the technical score box, the GOE sprinkles and extra credit comments, the one-point off for a fall (without mentioning anything at all about automatic -5 GOE, which is more damaging than a 1-point deduction), Johnny's cultural references that I don't get, and in general how they take so many words to say things rather than being concise. Oh, and the "Terrence" stuff and whether Johnny is excited because skaters are using certain music. Adam and Ashley talked a lot, but their comments didn't bother me like Tara and Johnny did.

My preference is no commentary, but that wasn't an option, and overall I liked Adam and Ashley more than Tara and Johnny.
I felt the same. Ashley & Adam still talk a bit too much for me, but at least they are more positive.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley and Adam improved vastly over the course of the comp.

At the beginning of the comp, they were talking over *everything* so much that they were diminishing my enjoyment of the programs. I don't care if they were saying that Jason Brown was the Emperor of Skating and Andrew Torgashev was the King, it was non stop. Just shut up. I also don't care if Ashley Wagner is the Warrior Woman of skating. Just shut up.

Well, lo and behold they did. Then I watched without fear.

Johnny returned to catty Johnny this comp, got no time for that....

Boy do I miss commentary free😢

kasha6

Rinkside
I actually like the Peacock App because it has so many high quality replay options and some pretty good features overall but lawdy lawdy it takes two full donkey years to load the Home Screen when using my FireStick! :bang:.

I have had the privilege of being in the arena so far and it’s really nice to come home watch the replay.

I think Tara and Johhny are enjoyable for the most part and I actually look forward to them but I think the intended mission NBC has given them is to keep things fun and somewhat young. Johhny has a very descriptive vocabulary and is really good at describing elements in very clear terms of how skaters and judges think in a way the average viewer can understand too. The only true gripe I have with them is that sometimes Tara needs to wait and find a better moment to start her commentary. There have been far too many times where the instant a program starts she starts talking all the way up into the first element. Tara…I love you but please let the music and skater create a mood for you to comment on or at least let me hear the first few notes of the music :cool:

Adam and Ashley seemed to have had an almost toxic positivity about everyone who skated from what I watched. I’ve never really heard them commentate before but was expecting some fiery sass. They aren't bad imo but could bring a little more pizazz when describing the technical aspects but listening to them gush over some of the skaters I really really like early on more than made up for it.

I totally disagree; I pay for Peacock so I can have Adam and Ashley; they talk about 30% of what Tara does; and I can enjoy the programs

kasha6

Rinkside
I wish that Johnny and Tara would stop with the “GOE sprinkles” and “marshmallow knees” in their commentary. This is a senior national championship and they make it sound like a kids birthday party.
I just wish Tara and Johnny would stop talking, period