Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
I can access the stream and Pairs first warm-up is on even though I was supposed to get geo-blocked. :scratch3:
I wonder for how long though. :laugh:
I really really hope it stays this way.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I bleeping hate you ISU. Entire GP season down the drain, just because the stupid Czech TV is showing men's programs when Brezina is there and doesn't show anything else. Bravo, what a whooping way to make FS accessible to everyone! Just continue your illustrious ideas next year, and rejoice how many fans you create! :disagree:
The only thing that could ease my misery is if at least the archived streams aren't geoblocked.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm not tech savvy enough to install VPN or a good antivirus, and am afraid to use the Russian and Chinese streams for that same reason. I'm doomed. And waiting for some tech savvy relative so... next week maybe. Joy. =_= Hate you big time, Czech TV and ISU.

madraykin

Rinkside
I'm not tech savvy enough to install VPN or a good antivirus, and am afraid to use the Russian and Chinese streams for that same reason. I'm doomed. And waiting for some tech savvy relative so... next week maybe. Joy. =_= Hate you big time, Czech TV and ISU.

Just download Opera browser from here: https://www.opera.com

Then enable the VPN by following steps here: https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-on-the-Built‐In-VPN-for-Opera-Browser

ETA: There's also the Eurovision stream here (https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/infront/) that you might be able to use.

Midian

Rinkside
It's now. It's on. My dream came true - the whole GP competition legally in the net.

With no commentators at all. :sad4:

I'm into FS for about 3 years now. I thought I've learned a lot about this sport and now I realize I know nothing. Without a support I confuse elements, sometimes I don't quite get where those GOE come from. I miss the stories behind the scene 'cause I don't know that much about the skaters.

I can't imagine someone who's not interested in this sport stumbling accross something like this and staying for longer. It's boring if you don't really understand what you see.

It's so sad because last season I could watch at least some of GP events and then Europeans and Worlds in TV with great commentators speaking in my own language. I didn't realize how helpful they are.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just swore. Loudly.

Australia (SBS) and New Zealand (Sky) have been added to the list.

Never mind that there's apparently nothing in place for this weekend.

Fortunately I have my VPN but wow, ISU, wow!

LOL, the ISU got back to me on that before SBS did, now that's got to be a first. Still, with any luck they'll have their streams up in time for Brendan at Skate Canada next week!

Till then, VPNs are a great invention. :)

Lota

Record Breaker
Wow, if this is the quality I have to expect each time I watch the ISU stream then :shocked: :palmf: :bang: I don't know if there was something wrong on my end or if it really as bad as it seemed, but the sound was sort of in and out - getting louder and then randomly quieter, as if there was something obstructing it, and the visuals were not as great as I'd hoped either. Just a couple of weeks ago I watched Artistic Gymnastics Wolds streams on the official FIG YouTube channel - commentary, sound, visuals - everything was far more decent, so I know it's possible. All I can say is that I really miss Eurosport. Their commentary was the soundtrack to my Figure Skating watching experience for years and years, and watching a stream with no commentary just seems really empty :(

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:( Looks like my browser or whatever can't cope with the livestream. I can access it but keep getting the "An error occurred, please try again later" messages. Have to hope somebody eventually pops Harley and Katia, Alexei, Jason and Keegan's performances up on their own...

icybear

Medalist
It looks like ISU is only going to post the top 3 finishers from each competition. Also no Ted:(

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's now. It's on. My dream came true - the whole GP competition legally in the net.

With no commentators at all. :sad4:

I'm into FS for about 3 years now. I thought I've learned a lot about this sport and now I realize I know nothing. Without a support I confuse elements, sometimes I don't quite get where those GOE come from. I miss the stories behind the scene 'cause I don't know that much about the skaters.

I can't imagine someone who's not interested in this sport stumbling accross something like this and staying for longer. It's boring if you don't really understand what you see.

It's so sad because last season I could watch at least some of GP events and then Europeans and Worlds in TV with great commentators speaking in my own language. I didn't realize how helpful they are.

Because often they come out of thin air and are completely disconnected from what you see there on the ice. As in, a good portion of skaters should absolutely not be getting the GOEs they do. Commentators often just talk BS trying to justify the scores.

For my part, I'm glad not to have any prattling and being able to actually focus on the performance.

GF2445

Record Breaker
SBS Australia made a last ditch deal to get the broadcasting rights....only to choose not to broadcast live.

Will probably have to wait until December for a "highlights" episode.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm so happy I could watch. After all the issues with Eurosport (which ended okay, as I got my money back), my unanswered questions to the Dutch rights holder, it all turned out fine. No commentary either. Miss our Dutch commentators who are quite knowledegble but if that's all? Please continue with the stream!

pesto

On the Ice
The stream worked pretty well for me, but by Toutatis, I miss the Eurosport commentary team. I really need the explanatory help, and also, it just seems so lonely to watch the skating without the companionship of a human voice.

If it weren't for the fact we have GPF finals tickets this year, I don't know how much I would bother with this means of watching, but I really want to follow the GP, to know how the skaters are performing on their way to the final.

1111bm

Final Flight
The youtube livestream worked perfectly for me. And as is usually the case with youtube, you can even go back/rewind the livestream! :luv17:
Praying that no one in my country buys any rights again, ever! (well, I could use a VPN I guess...)

For my part, I'm glad not to have any prattling and being able to actually focus on the performance.

YES! :clap::cheer::hap57:

No offense, but it is beyond me why anyone would wanna listen to commentary. Especially with the new scorebox that tells you what kind of element has just been executed.
Not only is it extremely disruptive to the performance, many commentators are also extremely annoying (CBC and British Eurosport were sweet though) and many of their comments are so redundant, I can't believe they're getting paid for that.
"She really needs this one after that mistake in the beginning"
"Aaaand he jumps!"
"And she lands that jump!"
Really now...? :sarcasm: Stating the obvious...