US Nats - Info | Golden Skate

US Nats - Info

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*squees*

as of this moment I'm going! :rock: I haven't gotten my tickets yet... but I am 98% sure that I'm going (if I don't I know of at least one person who would come hunt me down :laugh: )

who else is gonna be there?

mpal2

Final Flight
You can consider me to be the 2nd. I need to feel like I'm not the only one being a paparazzi with the camera! :laugh:

Is anyone going to sign up as a volunteer?

Here's a fun game. Click on one of the menu items on the web site, then back to "home" and see who's picture you get. So far I got Johnnie Weir bestriding the landscape like the St. Louis Gateway Bridge (twice), I got two different Sashas (in white and in red), Orscher and Lucash, and Tim Goebel. How many clicks would I have to do to get Michelle, LOL.

MM

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mpal2 said:
You can consider me to be the 2nd. I need to feel like I'm not the only one being a paparazzi with the camera! :laugh:
:laugh: Compared to me you and Heather don't even seem to take photos :laugh: Though I hear that may change now that she's got this new digital camera... I may have a rival in the photo dept come January :laugh:

Grgranny said:
We need to find Mathman a hobby!

I agree!!!! :laugh:

to answer your question, MM, I believe kwanfan1212 will be volunteering again this year :)

mpal2

Final Flight
They also have Tanith and Ben and Jenny Kirk after several tries. I think it's loaded for Sasha though. I got far more of her than any other that popped up.

If you click on the link to Michelle's picture, then change 8 to 7, 6, 5, etc., you can see them all.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I am going. As soon as they announced that 2006 Nats are in the best city in USA, I new I would be there. I normally fly home 2 times a year, and typically, January is not the month I choose for a visit, but are you kidding me? I am so there!

As I mentioned before, if anybody has any questions about the city, venue, hotels, etc..please do not hesitate to PM me.

Yana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
As I mentioned before, if anybody has any questions about the city, venue, hotels, etc..please do not hesitate to PM me.

Yana

I should be sending you a pm shortly ;)

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Hello all,
Haven't been by in a while, but we are going. Through a credit card mixup, we ended up with 2 pairs of tickets, but we found some friends to come with us.

STL_Blues_fan said:

Yana

Thanks for the offer of help. We've got our hotel reservations; I'd love some restaurant recommendations (particularly for vegetarians). We'll talk when it gets closer...

STL_Blues_fan said:
As I mentioned before, if anybody has any questions about the city, venue, hotels, etc..please do not hesitate to PM me.Yana

Yana, What is a MUST SEE in St. Louis? I'll be there and I think I'll be at the Official Hotel.

Joe

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
For Joe and sk8fanconvert

Argh..I just typed a really nice and long response, and my computer just crashed..

So, here we go again:

STL is home to a lot of really neat places, but because you guys will be in STL in Jan, some things would not be possible/advisable to do (e.g.: zoo, botanical gardens and the river cruise). But here's a short list of things that I think are the gems of the city:

1) Central west End: this is the area just west of downtown, and it is about 15 min ride on the MetroLink from the Arena. The main drag is the Euclid Avenue, and it is the home to many art galleries, fine restaurants and just pubs, antique stores, bookstores and boutiques. It is somewhat similar to Newberry St in Boston and Broadway in Saratoga, NY. CWE is where rich and famous lived in the 1800's-1900's. Famous STL Cathedral is located in CWE. as well as other gorgeous churches/temples. This is a good place for a nice walk and dinner. My guess is that is the best bet to find a vegetarian restaurant.

2) Forest Park - one station east of CWE. Forest Park houses a very respectable STL Art Museum (http://stlouis.art.museum/index.aspx?id=1), the Zoo and the Science center. Most of these places are free. Highly recommeded.

3) Other historic neighborhoods in the city: the Italian Hill (home to finest Italian restaurants and shops, though I don't think the shops could rival Arthur Avenue in the Bronx); the French Soulard (http://stlouis.missouri.org/soulard) and Lafayette (http://www.lafayettesquare.org). Both French places are great for food and architecture. Note that these are inaccessible by the Metro, so you would need a taxi (at the most 15 min).

4) Of course, the Arch (http://www.gatewayarch.com/)! It is only a few stations east of the arena, and about 10 blocks (max) by foot. It is the home to the museum of westward expansion. I am pretty sure the admission is free.

5) The Midtown (need the taxi to get there) is the home to the entertainment district: theaters, symphony, jazz clubs.

6) Midtown is also very unique that it houses the largest Bosnian community outside of the former Yugoslavia. They live around the Bevo Mill area and have opened a number of eateries, restaurants, bussiness, etc.. Something that even NYC doesn't have!

7) Of course, STL is also the home of the STL Blues!!! I suspect they will be playing on the road during the championships, but they are worth the extra days stay in the city:))

8) Found this great site for the restaurants in STL: http://www.diningstl.com

just click on the area of interest on the bottom.

I do want to say that there's good food in the downtown, especially for lunch, but your best bet for fine dining that won't break the bank is CWE, the Hill and Soulard.

9) Washington Street is the area for night clubs and other hip places. Certainly not a must, but I just wanted to mention it.

So, I think all of the above are great palces to visit. I think Arch is a must, b/c that's what we are known for! But CWE and Soulard and Lafayete are very unique and they deserve a look. There's so much more, but I just listed those places that are located in the City.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Yana

Thanks Yana again - I'm going to print your post and use it as a tour guide. Hope I run into you and wonder if Kimmie will upset the apple cart ;)

Joe

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
To answer a question from a while ago, yes I am volunteering again for US Nats and I am SOOOOO excited about it. I am also the person who will hunt Toni down if she doesn't come to St. Louis so its a good thing that she's planning on being there right now. ;)

IIRC, I think there is an Olympic Spirit Center in St. Louis now too which would be TONS of fun to visit. I've been to the one in Toronto and we saw St. Louis as another city that has one of these there. Its basically a celebration of the Olys and it has all this fun stuff to do and see inside. DEFINITELY worth checking out!! :rock:

And my digital camera is going to put me in the poorhouse after US Nats because it takes AWESOME pictures and I will have to print out tons if my skating adventures from this summer any indication of how US Nats will be for me! Good think I have a 1 GB memory card all ready, LOL :agree:

Chele615

Rinkside
We definitely did see St. Louis on the list of other cities. I can't wait to bring Brenda with me and make her row against me if they have the rowing part!!! LOL...Olympic Spirit was so much fun!!!! :)

But yes I will be at US Nationals this coming January. I'm very excited and could throw up already in anticipation ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
To answer a question from a while ago, yes I am volunteering again for US Nats and I am SOOOOO excited about it. I am also the person who will hunt Toni down if she doesn't come to St. Louis so its a good thing that she's planning on being there right now. ;)

yeah well... IF Erin gets the job she has applied for at the Rose Garden I may or may not decide to go to her place for a week... she'll be catering for the different events there (meaning SOI !!!) and yeah.. we may have to take in SOI ;)

*loves playing with Hez's mind*

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
I am going to bop you a good one Toni, my friend, LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well I haven't heard if she got it... but I mean, come ON... Stevey and Dave and free tickets? I can't pass that up!!!!!! :laugh: