2024 Europeans Where Are You Watching? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2024 Europeans Where Are You Watching?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I’m officially Confused now. It says Eurosport for the Netherlands. I thought Eurosport didn’t have the FS anymore. So what, we get Eurosport, NOS and ISU youtube? That seems a bit… superfluous!

Edit: looks like Eurosport shows FS in the UK, too. Life is strange…
So am I. I stopped my subscription to eurosport because they weren't broadcasting FS anymore, the NOS never has and suddenly does (but without rewatching) and the ISU channel as well.

meliaren

Rinkside
Country
Netherlands
I’m officially Confused now. It says Eurosport for the Netherlands. I thought Eurosport didn’t have the FS anymore. So what, we get Eurosport, NOS and ISU youtube? That seems a bit… superfluous!

It’s on Eurosport 2 and the Eurosport player, so you’d need an extra tv package or a Eurosport subscription for that.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
That's not true. They show the entire free skates on red button/iplayer as well as the highlights show. The Red Button Channel is still available on tv if you don't have a smart tv (601 on freeview i think) or other access to iplayer.
Hmm. I've not been able to find it the past couple of years. 🤔 It would have been iplayer I looked on (or the live bit of the BBC website if I was trying to watch live, which is maybe what I'd tried to do). We don't get reliable TV reception here, so I tend to just watch everything online as it is much easier than the repeated re-tuning that's needed to try to catch the intermittent bits of reception which always seem to disappear again when I'm in the middle of watching something.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Just checked the Sky EPG, and all Eurosport are showing on the linear channels over the next few days is Snooker, Cycling and various Ski Sports. And there's no skating on Discovery+ either.

I think you've been caught out by a quirk of the Eurosport schedule pages, whereby no matter what version's website you go to, they show your own country's schedule.

I've been caught out by that many times myself.

CaroLiza_fan

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom

It’s on Eurosport 2 and the Eurosport player, so you’d need an extra tv package or a Eurosport subscription for that.
Are you sure? I cannot find any sign of upcoming Figure skating on the UK version of the Eurosport player - either live or on demand. 🤔 For the senior GP series, it showed on the central Eurosport schedule but was only available in the small number of countries where Eurosport still had the rights.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I have both, but much prefer the Eurosport player livestreams over any other way to watch FS, because far as I know it’s the only way to watch without commentary audio.
Just checked the Sky EPG, and all Eurosport are showing on the linear channels over the next few days is Snooker, Cycling and various Ski Sports. And there's no skating on Discovery+ either.

I think you've been caught out by a quirk of the Eurosport schedule pages, whereby no matter what version's website you go to, they show your own country's schedule.

I've been caught out by that many times myself.

CaroLiza_fan
Looks like you’re right. But I blame this page for listing the UK for eurosport. ;-/

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here in the States looking forward to watching on Peacock.. so many favorites. Reruns are usually available for a day or two after each event.. and the Gala is scheduled too.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I have both, but much prefer the Eurosport player livestreams over any other way to watch FS, because far as I know it’s the only way to watch without commentary audio.

Looks like you’re right. But I blame this page for listing the UK for eurosport. ;-/
The ISU did the same before the GP series, then realised their mistake and corrected it. We had to watch Skate America via VPN because the ISU had geoblocked us, then they unblocked us for the rest of the series.

meliaren

Rinkside
Country
Netherlands
Are you sure? I cannot find any sign of upcoming Figure skating on the UK version of the Eurosport player - either live or on demand. 🤔 For the senior GP series, it showed on the central Eurosport schedule but was only available in the small number of countries where Eurosport still had the rights.
My comment was about the Eurosport for the Netherlands part of the post, sorry. I cannot view the UK version of the site, it is switching from TNT Sports back to the International version (which has also switched from English to Polish now 😄)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Still no sign of streams on the ISU page (in UK anyway). Anyone else have any luck?
Yes, finally! :jump:

Men SP

Pairs SP

Women SP

Ice Dance RD

@dorispulaski

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Free Programs:

Men FS

Pairs FS

Women FS

Ice Dance FD

@dorispulaski

Country
Norway
Does anyone know what the broadcasting situation is in Sweden?
I think you should be able to watch the ISU YouTube stream without a geoblock. From my understanding there was no provider in Sweden with GP and I don´t think they have come up with a solution for Euros. I suggest you check the links just posted in this thread, if they are blocked in Sweden it will say it´s not available in the region, if it´s not blocked now, you are free to watch.

I just checked the links and it´s blocked already for me in Norway. Norway had a last minute provider called VGTV buying all skating rights this fall after the two first GP events, including speed skating etc. Well, it´s the same commentator as the YouTube stream so I guess they bought the stream, so there will be no local commentators. There was a campaign running now so I was able to buy a month subscription for less then 10 Euros (79 NOK). Today I also learned there is actually an app where you can watch it as well so I was able to install it on my television so I will be able to watch it on the TV screen.

It´s a shame Sweden doesn´t have an own provider considering there is a full team both at Euros and Worlds this year.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think you should be able to watch the ISU YouTube stream without a geoblock. From my understanding there was no provider in Sweden with GP and I don´t think they have come up with a solution for Euros. I suggest you check the links just posted in this thread, if they are blocked in Sweden it will say it´s not available in the region, if it´s not blocked now, you are free to watch.

I just checked the links and it´s blocked already for me in Norway. Norway had a last minute provider called VGTV buying all skating rights this fall after the two first GP events, including speed skating etc. Well, it´s the same commentator as the YouTube stream so I guess they bought the stream, so there will be no local commentators. There was a campaign running now so I was able to buy a month subscription for less then 10 Euros (79 NOK). Today I also learned there is actually an app where you can watch it as well so I was able to install it on my television so I will be able to watch it on the TV screen.

It´s a shame Sweden doesn´t have an own provider considering there is a full team both at Euros and Worlds this year.
I've talked to Swedish Television. Or let's say their communicators, who don't know a thing. I think Swedish public service and some other European nations' television broadcasters missed the fact that Nent group didn't bid for the 2023/24 season. So sad.

Seems weird that a newspaper, Verdens Gang, buys figure skating in Norway. Suppose they had to take it with speed skating. Do they have local commentators for speed skating?

Here is what the Swedish fed says where to whatch: https://www.skatesweden.se/nyheter/nyheter/2024-01-07-sa-foljer-du-em-2024 With wrong times if you watch in Sweden. Kaunas is one hour ahead.

Country
Norway
I've talked to Swedish Television. Or let's say their communicators, who don't know a thing. I think Swedish public service and some other European nations' television broadcasters missed the fact that Nent group didn't bid for the 2023/24 season. So sad.

Seems weird that a newspaper, Verdens Gang, buys figure skating in Norway. Suppose they had to take it with speed skating. Do they have local commentators for speed skating?

Here is what the Swedish fed says where to whatch: https://www.skatesweden.se/nyheter/nyheter/2024-01-07-sa-foljer-du-em-2024 With wrong times if you watch in Sweden. Kaunas is one hour ahead.
Yeah I for sure didn´t know either the contract had ended for NENT.

Well the paper had TV-section for a while and they had added more and more programs lately. But from my understanding the Skating Fed had worked on getting a solution for the season, and got sponsor involved with money, so I guess that is how they could afford it. I guess it mainly was for speed skating but as you say, they were able to include figure skating as well.

Yes, I discovered today that there is one hour difference, I do not always check because most of Europe are in the same time zone but not all countries.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yeah I for sure didn´t know either the contract had ended for NENT.

Well the paper had TV-section for a while and they had added more and more programs lately. But from my understanding the Skating Fed had worked on getting a solution for the season, and got sponsor involved with money, so I guess that is how they could afford it. I guess it mainly was for speed skating but as you say, they were able to include figure skating as well.

Yes, I discovered today that there is one hour difference, I do not always check because most of European are in the same time zone but not all countries.
Well, you are not in the business :)

Yeah I also miss it sometimes. With Finland I'm always aware while I have friends there.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
UK viewers: It seems to be geoblocked for us. :( I can only see the Euros as upcoming streams if I log in with a VPN (set to Sweden).

Edit: I wish the ISU would update the info they use so that they knew we no longer have Eurosport fir figure skating.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
UK viewers: It seems to be geoblocked for us. :( I can only see the Euros as upcoming streams if I log in with a VPN (set to Sweden).

Edit: I wish the ISU would update the info they use so that they knew we no longer have Eurosport fir figure skating.
100% !!!!!! :bang::rolleye::(

We have to go through this aggravation and panic before every season starts or big event, just to watch our sport!

The BBC is a disgrace. Several years ago I was told by a female sports reporter that when British Skaters start winning medals at the highest level again they would be featured. The past 2 seasons Britain has risen in the sport again, winning Junior GP Medals, Senior GP Medals including Gold, and a European Championships Silver. Not one mention on either Radio or TV Sports Bulletins, no TV coverage of the events, nothing. Even the broadsheet newspapers, which once always had a Skating Correspondent and covered the major events, had no word. It's as though Skating only happens on Dancing on Ice. But come the next Winter Olympics, BBC will want to know who is representing GB and what their story is? You can't ask only every 4 years then forget them. :(

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
100% !!!!!! :bang::rolleye::(

We have to go through this aggravation and panic before every season starts or big event, just to watch our sport!

The BBC is a disgrace. Several years ago I was told by a female sports reporter that when British Skaters start winning medals at the highest level again they would be featured. The past 2 seasons Britain has risen in the sport again, winning Junior GP Medals, Senior GP Medals including Gold, and a European Championships Silver. Not one mention on either Radio or TV Sports Bulletins, no TV coverage of the events, nothing. Even the broadsheet newspapers, which once always had a Skating Correspondent and covered the major events, had no word. It's as though Skating only happens on Dancing on Ice. But come the next Winter Olympics, BBC will want to know who is representing GB and what their story is? You can't ask only every 4 years then forget them. :(

It's just not popular enough. Sad, but that's the reality. To be fair, the BBC did have articles about Fear and Gibson when they won European silver and placed fifth at worlds. But they have a limited budget (subject to increased scrutiny these days) and have to cover the sports which the British public are most interested in.

And as for them not caring about JGP medals.. it's junior sport. There isn't that much interest. The public barely cared when the the England U21 football team won Euros. And that's football! Our most popular sport!

As for the Broadsheets having a dedicated 'skating correspondent'.. when?! Sure, there may have been more media coverage in the past. But we got results- multiple World, European, Olympic champions . That's not been the case for a very long time now.

It's also not an accessible sport for many people. It's expensive, not many facilities around outside the big towns, requires speciallist equipment that's not very widely available. Not easy for kids to even try it (schools are often the gateway to sports for many kids- can't do that with figure skating like you can with say, rugby, swimming, athletics or gymnastics. Many people also become spectators because they played/took part as kids.).

It's not correct to blame the media entirely for the sport's unpopularity when there's a miriad of reasons.

Last edited: