2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 282 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Anyone know when the entry list for the Moscow Open will be available?

Here perhaps https://sportvokrug.ru/competitions/6039//participants/ ?

But this list is probably still preliminary (registration closes August 23 officially) and limited to 1stSP and KMS ranks ??

There are already a few non Moscow entries.

The administrators maintaining these lists always complain about last minute substitutions, and last season FFKKR doled out punishments to certain rinks for applying their skaters and in the end not turning up.

Regarding 'last minute emergency qualification' to JGP events, that list is probably strictly at FFKKR discretion, I suppose you need to have at least KMS rank and meet the age criteria?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Here perhaps https://sportvokrug.ru/competitions/6039//participants/ ?

But this list is probably still preliminary (registration closes August 23 officially) and limited to 1stSP and KMS ranks ??

There are already a few non Moscow entries.

The administrators maintaining these lists always complain about last minute substitutions, and last season FFKKR doled out punishments to certain rinks for applying their skaters and in the end not turning up.

Regarding 'last minute emergency qualification' to JGP events, that list is probably strictly at FFKKR discretion, I suppose you need to have at least KMS rank and meet the age criteria?

Thank you! That was the list I was looking for. I am wondering if Vika and Anna Tarusina will end up competing there since they missed test skates. I believe Gubanova was required to compete that last season after missing test skates.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Thank you! That was the list I was looking for. I am wondering if Vika and Anna Tarusina will end up competing there since they missed test skates. I believe Gubanova was required to compete that last season after missing test skates.

Vasil'yeva and Tarusina have been assigned the 'home event', Chelyabinsk stage of JPG, together with Valiyeva. Russia, the hosting federation has three starts there.

Gubanova is completely unclear at the moment.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Vasil'yeva and Tarusina have been assigned the 'home event', Chelyabinsk stage of JPG, together with Valiyeva. Russia, the hosting federation has three starts there.

Gubanova is completely unclear at the moment.

Right, but I’m wondering if they will be required to compete here, just like Gubanova was last year. She wasn’t ready and lost her JGP spot. She was also initially assigned to JGP Linz, pushes back, and then subbed out of I remember correctly. Unless fed officials will go directly to CSKA and hold a private test skate to ensure they are in form.

Sorry if this was unclear but I was not talking about gubanova this season.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Right, but I’m wondering if they will be required to compete here, just like Gubanova was last year. She wasn’t ready and lost her JGP spot. She was also initially assigned to JGP Linz, pushes back, and then subbed out of I remember correctly. Unless fed officials will go directly to CSKA and hold a private test skate to ensure they are in form.

It seems this year's selection already has 2 other skaters of the same age on the list for JPG. We must wait and see if SKA SPb, where Gubanova is now, has any pulling power to get her assigned a start in Moscow Open.

On that sportvokrug sheet, I saw Artur Danelyan and Il'ya Yablokov who both participated in the Test Skates, listed. They have already been assigned JGP stages, so perhaps an extra competition to test their new programs?

thedude

On the Ice
They are not "made up". Forbes has models and experts who make projections, estimates.

There was a Russian article that said she made more like 2 million last year. So Forbes might be an underestimate. Just guessing, I think it would be closer to 2 million. Hopefully a portion of that is set aside until she reaches majority.

I work in finance. My colleagues and I laugh at these Forbes' lists and other highest paid lists. It's hard projecting revenues when there is lots of publicly available info. Even then our estimates can be off quite and our models rely heavily on assumptions. If you actually read their methodology of how they came up this list, it's laughable because they rely heavily on insider "sources" and from those sources they make estimates . An owner of NBA was asked about his place on the wealthiest list, he laughed and said the magazine sends him a letter telling him what they estimate his net worth and if he would like to respond with better information. He throws away the letter and they publish it anyway.

Forbes Russia is not owned by Forbes. The Forbes name is licensed to Forbes Russia. Russian laws prevent foreign ownership of media and publishing or restrict it to 20% ownership. Forbes the website is not Forbes the magazine. The way publishing works now in the internet age is that most writers aren't full time staff. The ones who are staff writers cover important topics like international trade and the domestic economy. They're not writing fluff pieces on celebrities' and athletes' earnings. Most of these lifestyle articles on the website come from contributors who can be anybody. The quality of publishing has gone down because of the internet. Publishing companies are struggling financially, these companies need views and ads to compete with Buzzfeed, Youtube, etc. Magazines that used to be highly regarded aren't anymore. They've changed ownership several times, and each time sold for less money. The name stays the same, but the editors and publishers are totally different.

That 2 million came from ESPN website. Here's how that number is "made up". In finance, we call it finding "comparables". Here's an example with made up numbers,they look at Serena Williams, thanks to their "inside sources", it's rumored that Nike pays her 10 million. Serena has 10 million instagram followers, therefore each follower is worth $1. Zagitova has 500K followers therefore her Puma endorsement is worth $500K. If you think I'm exaggerating, well, in the fine print of their website they specifically said that's how they came up with Yuzuru's earnings.

Lastly, the average monthly salary in Moscow is 1,000 USD, so 12K/year. If Alina is making 500K-2 million USD, she could easily afford to have her mom, dad, and sister live with her in Moscow, but she lives with Grandma in some tiny apartment. Yes, she gets salary for being on the national team, a pension for being an Olympic champion,and she is moving to a new apartment but Russia is not swimming in money. The Russian economy is stagnant with economic sanctions and depressed oil and gas prices. I have no doubt Alina earns good living by Russian standards, she most likely earn quite a bit more than her parents but a top figure skaters is by no means a global celebrity.

You guys are overestimating the value what it means to be an ambassador or spokesperson for a company. In the era of internet influencers, companies spread their advertising dollars to as many sources as possible, the top get paid a ton, the rest get mostly free stuff. Show me the Shiseido contract is more than a just a press gathering when she happens to be in Japan or a makeup artist doing her makeup at skating events. I want to see an actual ad compaign. Show me a Puma campaign, that's more than few posters at a store in Moscow or short internet video.

With all that being said, here's where I think things will interesting over the next few years with Eteri's girls. 1. The prize money is much bigger than at the junior level(although it's much smaller than other sports). 2. Med has Nike, Alina has Puma, Trusova has Addidas. That leaves Alyona or Anna without one, is there room enough for these two let alone the next juniors to get a apparel deal. 3. The Olympics - there is only 1 gold medal. These girls have seen the difference in Olympic gold vs silver. Less than point separated Alina and Med. Alina became the new darling of Russia and Japan. Med exiled to Canada. If Med would have won, who do you think Shiseido would have as their ambassador, who do you think the Japanese shows would offer more money? Who's getting the VIP treatment from the Japanese TV shows. The 3As got a taste of it this summer. It pays to be the winner and there is only one gold medal.

Trusova's baby brother is right. You have tear your competition to pieces.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Trusova's baby brother is right. You have to tear your competition to pieces.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you had me in stitches here :2thumbs:

And it seems only Khrustalniy has this shrewd business sense. Being a strong coherent unit really benefits them.

The coaches always wear designer clothing and accessories at the boarding and in the K&C in the big events, so those exclusive brands know how to market their products and by whom to the affluent upper working class. Dudakov perhaps being the odd one out since he doesn't like being up front under the spotlights, but Tutberidze and Gleikengauz always look their smartest and even D. wears stylish black so he blends in.

It will indeed be interesting to see how the new seniors will be marketed, still to tweens and young teen girls, or to the typical 16 y.o. big city girl with her Saturday job and that extra money to spend on trendy fashion?

Boots and blades manufacturers are still somewhat reserved in openly sponsoring these skaters that are such crowd pleasers and which many young girls want to emulate, why is that?
Edea still has Kostornaya and Kanysheva? Riedell (I think) has Trusova and Shcherbakova?

And then the difficult part, how to market boy's and even adult men's skating? Chen, Brezina, Rizzo etc. have such good looks ...

ruga

Final Flight
I too found the salaries on Forbes Russia kind of suspicious. At first I thought it could be their net worth as girls surely might have earned it throughout their careers. But it's bit weird that, say, more than 80% of Alina's earnings came not from competitions, but from endorsements and shows. Though it would be very interesting to find out how much top level figure skaters really earn these days because we only have true information on prize money. I heard a rumour that Trusova's contract with Adidas is worth 1 million dollars and lasts 3 years, but I only heard it once so not sure how reliable it is.

mathlike

On the Ice
If Med would have won, who do you think Shiseido would have as their ambassador, who do you think the Japanese shows would offer more money?
Alina. :)
She's prettier, has nicer voice and Japanese audience claims she has somewhat Asian facial features, which they find appealing.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She's prettier, has nicer voice and Japanese audience claims she has somewhat Asian facial features, which they find appealing.

To which I agree, Alina has a multi cultural appeal I think.
In my eyes she looks kinder, with a pleasant face.

ruga

Final Flight
We can talk a lot about what could have happened (even if it's irrelevant now), but somehow I'm pretty sure that Evgenia winning OGM on top of her 2 World titles would have raised her status even higher compared to newcomer Alina. Physical appearance doesn't make much difference as it is subjective and both Alina and Evgenia are very pretty (in my subjective opinion of course ;) )

Fluture

Record Breaker

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Well, she IS Asian, being an ethnic Tatar... :confused: Her shyness makes her especially charming, although I'm afraid she'll soon get over it.