The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 188 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

Meoima

Match Penalty
for many years.. there's no secret in korea that the KSU is a joke.. i still cringed every time i saw a photo of yuna at the airport with the officials from ksu doing photo ops with the media.. and the way they treated their figure skaters in general and how they pressuring yuna to compete.. with no sense of gratitude whatsoever.. and their lack of awareness..
Then how are they going to hold olympic 2018 with the unprofessional system? I am so worried.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
LOL if I can, I'll vote for Kim Yu-Na as the prez for KSU

joking aside, well...that's a good (?) first step :/ they better clean more though

JayW

Final Flight
for many years.. there's no secret in korea that the KSU is a joke.. i still cringed every time i saw a photo of yuna at the airport with the officials from ksu doing photo ops with the media.. and the way they treated their figure skaters in general and how they pressuring yuna to compete.. with no sense of gratitude whatsoever.. and their lack of awareness..

It is big contrast between Yuna's graciousness and KSU's mess.

usethis2

Medalist
With a clear lack of sign that the ISU will do anything to ensure the fairness of the sport as well as Korea's apparent willingness to exert its own influence in 2018, I think I am going to fold for now. After this World, I am going to keep some distance with the sport. Being a skating fan I suppose I can't truly cut myself off even after my favorite skaters retire, but this madness was not what I wanted to see. I hope more skating fans wake up and realize that skaters are individuals, not some national mascot to be used by a less-than-honorable regime to confuse its people. In that end I was relieved to learn that Russian skating fans are wiser than that. (Thank you, melissa_ire)

I appreciate everyone who has participated in this debate/discovery/analysis including those who are under my ignore list. Sorry I read only a few glimpses of your comments through other members' quotes. I am sure everyone has had her/his reasons and feelings. I also thank Golden Skate Forum for providing us with this precious space to record this unfortunate history. Nowhere else could we have had this conversation and brought awareness. (Outside of Korea, that is. I am sure Koreans will write a history book about this scandal. :biggrin: ) Staff members have been exceedingly hospitable and did a wonderful job at moderating, for which I am grateful. I also apologize for my rash comments whenever I made them. No excuses.

I am not going away. I just feel like that almost everything I could do, have been done. This thread is bookmarked, and I will visit it from time to time to check if there is any new revelation. I also hope to go through the 250+ pages to recall and summarize our discussions, and recollect outside information when I have free time. Oh, and I will also keep voicing my opinions via social networks whenever skating and judging is trending.

What I feel regrettable about here is that we did not really move past Yuna and Adelina. There are other skaters who were victims of this scandal, and to be honest I hesitate to call Yuna a victim because she was a gracious victor even though she did not go back home with another gold. All the skaters were victims in my view, including those who appear to have received gifts: In a fraudulent system that is shielded by corrupt enablers, there will be an unending stream of victims - and you will always be a step behind to find out that you are duped. Think of Vatican's attitude toward allegations against certain priests' wrongdoings and how those priests are protected by the church itself and its appeasers who insists on "not making waves." (I am Catholic, BTW)

Sad to leave this final-ish note in such a pessimistic tone, but I seek others' generous understanding.

P.S. Yuna's Olympic performance on YouTube that is not blocked by IOC/NBC for whatever reason -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTkN1goOmk (Chinese commentary is actually easier to ignore than English one :) )

--------

(I am adding this post of mine from Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS so that I can look back later in one place)

Today in WC 2014, 9 out of top 10 women received level 4 for their step sequences in the SP, with the same programs they performed in the Olympics. I do not want to jump the conclusion, but doesn't it look at least strange? Wagner, Osmond, Li, Murakami, and even Pogorilaya. Very good GOEs all around as well. A large majority of them accrued +2s (with avg. +1.xx) from the looks of it. In the Olympics, there was only one skater who received level 4 in the SP.

So which was a correct judging? Should I believe that everyone not only changed their routines but also improved their skills in a month? Did the rules for determining levels change? Did this tech panel want to make some sort of statement? How does one honestly view this discrepancy, if s/he believes this is a sport? (can anyone answer? ;) )

Edit: Here are the protocols

WC 2014 Ladies SP (PDF)
Sochi Olympics Ladies SP (PDF)

leafygreens

Final Flight
What I feel regrettable about here is that we did not really move past Yuna and Adelina. There are other skaters who were victims of this scandal,

And there will be more victims of future scandals, if this one is not corrected. The SotBots are very short-sighted.

Julie K.

Rinkside
Yes, this whole event was a big scandal. The way the judges favorited Russians during this whole competition was ridiculous. Based on the team event, I knew it all would end up like this. Sad.

So Russia cannot be a leader but remains to be a bully to the world.

Nadya

On the Ice

Oh please, no one can pressure you to compete without your permission.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I moved this from another thread. It's more appropriate here.

And when top 3 gets 220 and higher at this world's, people will start feeling that Adelina's score wasn't that high... ISU's plan to keep people from saying "inflated scores".
All these scores are to cover up the inflated scores in Sochi....

I think the overall scores will continue to go up with this new emerging generation. Not everything has to do with Sochi or Yuna and Adelina. It might just be that bigger scores draw bigger crowds and the ISU is trying to build a fan base in the vacuum of Mao-Yuna-Caro leaving. Russia and USA has the most promising talent to sell and its rising stars could sell the future of the sport to the next generation. USA vs RUSSIA From a business point of view its the right move. It's really hard on backseat judges but that makes for great :popcorn: The problem is the scores are so high already they'll be no where left to go in a few years but I wouldn't fret though... they'll figure out a way to adjust it. No score can honestly satisfy the moments we got in the SP. It was that good.

cooper

Medalist
Oh please, no one can pressure you to compete without your permission.

well.. if you're the number 1 skater in your country..that the young skaters from korea will depend on you for future slots like the olympics.. and that you're responsible to continue to promote figure skating in your country.. yeah.. yuna had no choice.. :p

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
well.. if you're the number 1 skater in your country..that the young skaters from korea will depend on you for future slots like the olympics.. and that you're responsible to continue to promote figure skating in your country..

:thumbsup:

Nadya

On the Ice
well.. if you're the number 1 skater in your country..that the young skaters from korea will depend on you for future slots like the olympics.. and that you're responsible to continue to promote figure skating in your country.. yeah.. yuna had no choice.. :p
Actually she does have a choice to turn her back on all this, if she wants to. She doesn't have to care about young skaters getting slots. If she cares enough to compete, then it is her choice to compete. Don't belittle her by making her a victim. She's a master of her own destiny. She chose to compete. If she refused to go to the Olympics, the sun would have still come up the next morning. No one is responsible for promoting anything anywhere. It's not like they would have thrown her in prison over this, now is it.

bara1968

On the Ice
I am often getting confused by the object of some threads here.

Cooper's main point was to answer a question on "how messy" KSU is, and has been, in that in general, how little they care for their skaters, including Yuna. And somehow it turned into Yuna thread itself, again.

Well i hope that we can go back to the original post from now on. It seems that discussion is already going on in other threads as well though.

cooper

Medalist
Actually she does have a choice to turn her back on all this, if she wants to. She doesn't have to care about young skaters getting slots. If she cares enough to compete, then it is her choice to compete. Don't belittle her by making her a victim. She's a master of her own destiny. She chose to compete. If she refused to go to the Olympics, the sun would have still come up the next morning. No one is responsible for promoting anything anywhere. It's not like they would have thrown her in prison over this, now is it.

for an outsider it's easy for you to say..that she had a choice.. that she can walk away.. that she can refuse.. you clearly have NO IDEA the degree or amount that she endured.. yuna had to face that "responsibility".. it's more complicated than you think..

Nadya

On the Ice
for an outsider it's easy for you to say..that she had a choice.. that she can walk away.. that she can refuse.. you clearly have NO IDEA the degree or amount that she endured.. yuna had to face that "responsibility".. it's more complicated than you think..
I know that people don't endure pain unless they want to, or unless there's something in it for them. You can't convince me that Kim didn't go into this competition willingly. No one HAS to face anything unless they decide to. Just what do you think would have happened to her if she said no?