2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Fault me for being bias, but not a fan of Davis and White, never was. She is fake and always seems to be over-actig. I don't buy it. And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done. Please the moment had passed, actually there was no moment. Call it sour grapes, they do nothing for me. Bland program like they always put out. I seriously thought Meryl was wearing a wig for the short dance to go with the program, but now I see it's her real hair. Girl do something about it! Tessa is gorgeous, simply stunning and their program was captivating from beginning to end. The mistake in the short dance did them in. On to Sochi!!

OK we'll call it: you have sour grapes. Go pout with Scott Moir.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Okay, so you don't like V/M's Carmen but know "A Day in Hollywood/A Night in Ukraine." I'm feeling very conflicted right now :D

No idea about Ragtime, truthfully. Depends on how they could make a medley, but starting with the opening piano from "Prologue." Very simple, Joplin-esque stuff. Segue into "A Shtetl Iz Amereke" or "Success" (the latter makes more sense, but I think the character work required for the former would be interesting). The last minute would be "Wheels of a Dream" with it's soaring crescendo.

It's not that I don't like their Carmen. If they had been allowed to skate it as a totally modern dance I think it would have been one for the ages. I always thought the problem was it is too much of a mish-mash. One moment they're doing moves that are right out of the modern dance lexicon, the next they doing traditional ice dance steps in hold. It's like cognitive dissonance on blades. Not their fault. The rules! They really should be honest and call it Ice BALLROOM Dancing. But can you imagine how great it would be if ALL kinds of dance were allowed? Le sigh...

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 189.56 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 185.04 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 169.19 Free Dance
4. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 168.04
5. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 166.20
6. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 165.60
7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 163.93
8. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 157.71
9. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 157.52
10. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 154.27

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoot me now...but I think the one team that was genuinely underscored in the Free was Chock and Bates. I'd have had them a very very close to 3rd 4th place.

Chock/Bates may make a big move up next season. They've been together just about two years now, but have competed as a team only since the fall of 2011. Their improvement this season has been astonishing---finishing 7th in their first World Championship is quite an achievement.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 189.56 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 185.04 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 169.19 Free Dance
4. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 168.04
5. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 166.20
6. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 165.60
7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 163.93
8. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 157.71
9. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 157.52
10. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 154.27

hi, you continue to be amazing. thanks!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's not that I don't like their Carmen. If they had been allowed to skate it as a totally modern dance I think it would have been one for the ages. I always thought the problem was it is too much of a mish-mash. One moment they're doing moves that are right out of the modern dance lexicon, the next they doing traditional ice dance steps in hold. It's like cognitive dissonance on blades. Not their fault. The rules! They really should be honest and call it Ice BALLROOM Dancing. But can you imagine how great it would be if ALL kinds of dance were allowed? Le sigh...

Modern/interesting dances ARE possible.

I know this is Jr. level but this Pink Floyd FD totally rocked out----it did not look like they were trying to cram dance holds. One of my favorites for this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzpqxHuiOI

I think Virtue/Moir certainly could have figured it out....

ETA: Correct video link
ETA2: I do realize that V/M have skated to Pink Floyd as well.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Charlie has asthma which is why it takes him a minute to get up after they perform. And what is wrong with Meryl's hair?

The Budweiser Arena is known to have very bad ventilation especially with a full audience..I have noticed skaters nearly collapsing on the ice after their programs (Hanyu, Ten, Charlie, Andrew Poje...) because of the air...for somebody with known asthma it is hell...

I think they need to do something where they can just let go and be crazy. I agree with Ziggy to an extent that their attempt to be subtle is strange considering IRL they are super happy, fun and humorous people.

It's almost like they are being told they need to be a certain way instead of going with their personal instinct. For example, until the SD the other day, I was absolutely clueless why Maia's costumes were so terrible. When she is off the ice, she is a very stylish girl and knows how to dress but somehow that ability goes out of the window when it comes to her costumes, mainly the SD costumes. (I love their FD costume.)

I think it's the 'we have to make you look mature' approach.

This is why all skaters end up skating overused, dire, dull, classical or pseudo-classical music. Because apparently that's what being mature is. :p

roots

Rinkside
LOL. Seriously? :laugh:

I like Meryl's hair. :)

Listen they're the rivals of my favourites and this afternoon they won. I'm upset and the only thing that makes me feel better is to write something bad even if deep down I know there's nothing wrong with her looks and their performance. It's childish on my part, but damn it feels better when writing nasty stuff even if you don't believe 'em.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Chock/Bates may make a big move up next season. They've been together just about two years now, but have competed as a team only since the fall of 2011. Their improvement this season has been astonishing---finishing 7th in their first World Championship is quite an achievement.

That's what I think too. I know people miss Emily, and while they had polish galore (second only to Voir I think), they lacked pizzazz (except for that 40s number they did). I thought their Olympic long in 2010 was a huge bore. And I do think that Chock has that indefinable "it" factor. Actually I think something Katharine Hepburn said about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers fits Chock & Bates to a T: he gives her class and she give him sex (appeal--get yer minds out of the gutter. lol!). :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Listen they're the rivals of my favourites and this afternoon they won. I'm upset and the only thing that makes me feel better is to write something bad even if deep down I know there's nothing wrong with her looks and their performance. It's childish on my part, but damn it feels better when writing nasty stuff even if you don't believe 'em.

exactly how i felt about tara lipinski ... still.

joyfuls

Rinkside
@roots Their appearance and personalities don't matter when they skate. I'm Canadian, but I've got to admit D/W had a great skate tonight and deserved to win overall. No need to be bashing on other skaters just because you favourites don't win.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
So insulting others makes you feel better about yourself?

Anyway, onto the Shibs. They have senses of humor and great personalities, I wish they could do something that would showcase that. When watching the Germans, I kept thinking that Maia and Alex could definitely pull something like that off.

KKonas

Medalist
Fault me for being bias, but not a fan of Davis and White, never was. She is fake and always seems to be over-actig. I don't buy it. And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done. Please the moment had passed, actually there was no moment. Call it sour grapes, they do nothing for me. Bland program like they always put out. I seriously thought Meryl was wearing a wig for the short dance to go with the program, but now I see it's her real hair. Girl do something about it! Tessa is gorgeous, simply stunning and their program was captivating from beginning to end. The mistake in the short dance did them in. On to Sochi!!

Really nasty statement re Meryl who is a lovely person inside and out- and Charlie does have asthma, so breathing hard after a difficult routine is par for the course for asthmatics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So insulting others makes you feel better about yourself?

Anyway, onto the Shibs. They have senses of humor and great personalities, I wish they could do something that would showcase that. When watching the Germans, I kept thinking that Maia and Alex could definitely pull something like that off.

Or this, again not the best example as they are Jrs, but I absolutely love this program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82qtei69fLg