2014-15 Japanese Nationals Mens SP

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here would be my placements, if I ever were a judge:
Shoma > Tatsuki > Dice > Yuzu > Takahito :sarcasm:

Well of course I am no judges... :eek:hwell:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ constant flexibility training, especially in the waist area will hinder the elongation of waist, which will result a body type that has relatively longer limbs comparing to torso.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Shoma is progressing technically very fast now. Anyone knows if he is working on other type of quad ? or just toe for now ?

He has attempted 4S and 4F in practice. His 3S had been a problem earlier in his junior days, so I see him getting a 4F before a 4S, unless he improves his 3S technique. I mean, there's a reason he does 2A 1Lo 3F and not 2A 1Lo 3S like most of the other skaters that do the half loop combo.

ks777

Record Breaker
1m60 might be the highest IMO. I don't know how to explain but that body type is the type that I have seen many times in my life and most didn't get taller.
Sota Yamamoto's body type is the type that might get much taller IMO.
But anyways who are we to talk. :laugh: I am sure even the athletes themselves couldn't tell.
Sorry for being off topic.
well, when we first saw Caroline Zhang, most of us thought she wasn't going to be 160cm. Caroline Zhang did have that body type that stay short.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

I would have put Tatsuki much closer to Yuzu...or even ahead by a little. The perfection of Yuzu's 4t and 3a are just amazing...coupled with a beautiful presentation over all.
Tatsuki really redeemed himself with the SP and he skated with conviction and gave it his 100%. But his jumps have slightly less quality than Yuzu's.

Shoma has improved so much this year and I'm really happy for him. But I found this version of his SP kind of boring. Did he change this around for Seniors?
I got a completely different vibe off of the Junior's SP. Or maybe watching him skate and then watching Hanyu and Machida, I saw that he did have a tiny bit of polishing up to do...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
There is no need to be diplomatic here - it is simply RIDICULOUS.

Machida was magical today, Hanyu - blah...
I wasn't sold on Tatsuki's SP, even at SA - he was too hectic throughout the program for me. But today everything clicked in - finally that subtle balance between lyrical and dramatic is here :love:

But of course JSF, with their Yuzuru fixation, will never let Tatsuki win.

This sport is so sad...

I absolutely agree with your opinion on Tatsuki's performance today except the fact that I've been really sold on Tatsuki's SP long before you do. ;)

I could see he is a poet in the beautiful performance.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Shoma has improved so much this year and I'm really happy for him. But I found this version of his SP kind of boring. Did he change this around for Seniors?
I got a completely different vibe off of the Junior's SP. Or maybe watching him skate and then watching Hanyu and Machida, I saw that he did have a tiny bit of polishing up to do...
Yes he did change the choreography to fit the senior version of the layout and the program unfortunately looks like a weaker version of the original.

yyyskate

Record Breaker

just watched Yuzuru and Machida, both give out brilliant performances, but I have to agree with you on this one. Machida is great here. actually, after I watched their GPF fancams. Yuzuru certainly got easy ice coverage, but he is sloppy at times, and Machida is better in this area, and actually looked very impressive on fancam.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Yes he did change the choreography to fit the senior version of the layout and the program unfortunately looks like a weaker version of the original.

Yeah I have to agree on here. Shoma put a quad today at the expense of some of original choreographies, I guess.

Josh78

Spectator
Country
United-States
Some great skates today at Japanese Nationals..but I'm really feeling SAD for Kozuka...He really needed to skate solidly in the short program to have ANY chance of making it..and even though, by the score, he's still kind of in it (and of course, anything can happen), I fear he sealed his fate for the rest of the year with that skate...if he could only put it all together when it counted! On the other hand Uno, Machida, Murakami, and to a lesser degree Yuzu, were all MAGIC today...great event!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Kozuka should really throw out quad from programs, it doesn't work any longer for him in competition and he can score way higher with clean programs than with bombing that starts from quad fall

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
There is no need to be diplomatic here - it is simply RIDICULOUS.

Machida was magical today, Hanyu - blah...
I wasn't sold on Tatsuki's SP, even at SA - he was too hectic throughout the program for me. But today everything clicked in - finally that subtle balance between lyrical and dramatic is here :love:

But of course JSF, with their Yuzuru fixation, will never let Tatsuki win.

This sport is so sad...

I'm puzzled as to how this program was not in first place. That awkward pause and clapping from the audience after his score was announced describes my feelings precisely.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Machida desevered the lead today or at least the margin between him and Hanyu should have been a lot smaller. He should have had the higher pcs given Hanyu's cautious skate.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu's wasn't cautious... It was understated with lots of complexity.

However to me Machida put his heart out there and Hanyu made a visible error. If Machida did indeed UR his 4T-3T combo that's still not as bad as Hanyu's lutz 3-2.

A case can be made for Machida very slightly leading but IMO Hanyu's 4-point lead over Machida is too large. As mentioned, I'd raise Machida's and lower Hanyu's with Hanyu leading 92.5-93 points to Machida with 91-92 points.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I absolutely agree with your opinion on Tatsuki's performance today except the fact that I've been really sold on Tatsuki's SP long before you do. ;)

I could see he is a poet in the beautiful performance.

I sense that too... He really puts himself entirely out there. It's unfortunate that he skated so well and still got hosed on PCS (well more like, his PCS was almost fine but Hanyu was a beneficiary of inflation).

ioanna

Record Breaker
I sense that too... He really puts himself entirely out there. It's unfortunate that he skated so well and still got hosed on PCS (well more like, his PCS was almost fine but Hanyu was a beneficiary of inflation).

His press conference quotes said it all. "I'm here to perform for the spectators, regardless of ranking." :)