2014 Skate America FD 10/25 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America FD 10/25

Scout

Final Flight
Thank you for the commentator info Scout:). Which broadcast/commentator are you watching/listening to?

I'm watching the cbc streaming in Canada. I actually don't know who the commentator is. I didn't recognize her voice. Not Carol Lane or Brenda Irving. Anyone else watching that knows?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Madison Chock has improved nicely these past couple of seasons, no need to throw shade her way. Yes Evan is a tad flat but they balance each other out nicely. The Shibs are just not at their level. They have been struggling with their technique and the vitality of their programs for at least three seasons now. They are smart people. They need to draw the right conclusions soon otherwise there will be nothing to look forward to in the future.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm watching the cbc streaming in Canada. I actually don't know who the commentator is. I didn't recognize her voice. Not Carol Lane or Brenda Irving. Anyone else watching that knows?

I'm pretty sure it's Tanith Belbin.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Yesterday, CBC streaming was showing the IceNetwork feed (which would mean Belbin), according to what I read (Bev Smith tweet, IIRC). Dunno about today.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well kudos to S/B for getting rid of those horrendous poop brown costumes. Is there a single person on the planet whose favorite color is brown? Just wondering.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we post the CBC feed in the men's FS? Maybe I can actually hear an event. :slink:

iPhone and figure skate fan equals a lot of mental humming!!!

JayW

Final Flight
So happy for C/B, I guess their innovation and 100% devotion pay off. I feel bad for Shibs, although their skating is very refined and smooth, it is just not that exciting and memorable. It is almost generic. Maybe it is time to leave Marina.

I just watched the whole show on the You Tube videos posted by Mao88 and Doris Pulaski on the Videos thread. Ice dance is the best discipline any more. I liked Maia and Alex the best. Plus, they had the best music and the prettiest dress (Maia). If you are going to dance, why would you do any dance besides a waltz and why would you dance to anything else except the Blue Danube. ;)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think C/B should be at least 5 points higher in PCS. 1.5 higher in SS, 2.5 higher in choreo, .5 in everything else. They are heirs to D/W.

meem

On the Ice
Just watched some of the videos for the FD and am amazed to realize that Chock and Bates FD was, for me, the most interesting and enjoyable. Maybe it's the music. You can't go wrong with Gershwin's An American in Paris...a real lively jazzy tune that just showcases lifts and twizzles. Bates still looks bent over all the time IMO, but this FD was good (don't know much about ice dancing...but I do know what I like). Watching the beautiful Shibs made me agree with all who feel they should've gone with Igor. The Blue Danube was elegant but I have to admit--kinda boring. I think they deserve a lot more than they're getting from Marina et al. Maybe Rohene Ward as a choreographer to shake things up...

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 171.03 Free Dance & Interview, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 160.33 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 143.87 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Elisabeth PARADIS / Francois-Xavier OUELLETTE (CAN) - 137.30 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 135.61 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 135.50 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 131.72 Free Dance
8. Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 128.88 Free Dance, 2nd Copy

caitie

Medalist
The Blue Danube was elegant but I have to admit--kinda boring. I think they deserve a lot more than they're getting from Marina et al. Maybe Rohene Ward as a choreographer to shake things up...

They tried to shake up their choreography last season, but it didn't really work out.

I was surprised C/B beat the Shibs in TES because to my eye I thought their skating was a little better tonight. I think people are right that they should switch from Marina because not getting the levels is really hurting them. They are great skaters and work really really hard. They don't seem to be poor competitors. I don't understand what the issue is.

Anyway, congrats to C/B on the win! I really love their FD.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They tried to shake up their choreography last season, but it didn't really work out.

I was surprised C/B beat the Shibs in TES because to my eye I thought their skating was a little better tonight. I think people are right that they should switch from Marina because not getting the levels is really hurting them. They are great skaters and work really really hard. They don't seem to be poor competitors. I don't understand what the issue is.

Anyway, congrats to C/B on the win! I really love their FD.

I honestly think part of it is they have never been forgiven for the temerity of winning world bronze their first year. I really do.

I don't know what it would take to pry them from Zoueva, but at this point I'm almost tempted to stage an intervention. She's doing them NO favors.