2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating

ribbit

On the Ice
I'm not a skater, so I don't know the dynamics. But, I was thinking someting similar. It would be a good way to train - often skating for each other and critiquing. They are competitors but they don't have to be enemies - not that they are. There's no secrets - they know each others programs. Skating around each other would create some comroderie that could support them in competition. In track and field competitors have to actually run togeather in relays. They are very used to performing around each other.

That's a good point, and one that's also true of gymnastics, where individual athletes have to compete with each other as teammates in the team event, supporting and drawing on each other, and then against each other as competitors in the individual all-around and apparatus finals. Heck, the team event also serves as qualifying for the individual events, so you have to learn to support your teammates to do their best so your team can medal, even though that best may cost you a chance to compete for a medal in a later event. No wonder gymnasts often seem to have such a laser focus while they're competing. Not only might individual skaters benefit from training alongside fellow athletes who can give them a real sense of where the competitive bar is on a regular basis, but skating is adding more team events. Skaters will need to develop a similar ability to compartmentalize and to handle these mixed emotions, and that mental toughness would presumably carry over to their individual events.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does everyone know that there will be no US judge on the ladies panel in Boston? There won't be a Russian judge, either, but there will be a Japanese judge, a Korean judge and a Canadian judge.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does everyone know that there will be no US judge on the ladies panel in Boston? There won't be a Russian judge, either, but there will be a Japanese judge, a Korean judge and a Canadian judge.

Seriously!!!! Well, I hope everything go's smoothly because this sounds like a scandal in the making......:drama:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That's actually good news. It means the key players will be more likely to win based on how they perform. I mean, ideally there would be no Japanese judge either but the lack of Russian and US judges at least means there won't be insanely high PCS. Satoko is underscored anyways so any favours given to her by the Japanese judge would probably just give her the scores she deserves (at least relative to the Russians).

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's actually good news. It means the key players will be more likely to win based on how they perform. I mean, ideally there would be no Japanese judge either but the lack of Russian and US judges at least means there won't be insanely high PCS. Satoko is underscored anyways so any favours given to her by the Japanese judge would probably just give her the scores she deserves (at least relative to the Russians).

Don't get mad. IMO, Satoko doesn't deserve PCS marks as high as Med's or Ashley's. This certainly will make things interesting.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure everyone would agree she is overscored. Fair or not it takes skaters time to up their scores, arguably deserved or not, besides, she seems to constantly get generous marks for tes/goes in respect to he heigh of her jumps and prerotations. she does turn fast but that is no a huge bullet point. In respect to Gracie even with a misake (minor) in the short she still could win a medal The judges are ready if she performs. I am thinking one of her, Ashley or Mao are going to get it together for worlds. I would rather see Miyhara, Evgenia or Rad win as they have been consistent his year but life isn't fair; it comes down to two performances.

fairly4

Medalist
as far as the judges with one being a canadian, japanese, korean,

i can see both candians despite messing up finishing ahead of clean u.s.
even though all 3 u.s. ladies skate better than them.

I should point out both canadians ladies , korean, has to skate clean to be in the top 10.

the u.s. , japan, russia can skate a little sloppy in the short and finish ahead of all of the the others.

i just hope that they judge fairly, in other words if one is taken off for ur's in the short and looked closely at they all should not just one.
Or the skaters that are known for it. Why the young russian skaters appear to skate better is the fact it appears spin fast on their jumps so their landings don't appear ur or close from any tv and/or judges angle.

They are alot of times the skaters ur in front of the tv camera angle but not from the judges point of view.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think one judge will make a difference. When skaters get a home advantage it is likely due to the audience reaction. The Americans and the Russians will still get great scores if they skate well.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

Is that confirmed anywhere? Actually, I'll like that.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Consider the past 2 years had ALL European panels in a row for the ladies. This is only a slight improvement. Surprised there's no US judges though... are all the other 5 judges European? Ukraine among them? Who's the tech caller?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a skater, so I don't know the dynamics. But, I was thinking someting similar. It would be a good way to train - often skating for each other and critiquing. They are competitors but they don't have to be enemies - not that they are. There's no secrets - they know each others programs. Skating around each other would create some comroderie that could support them in competition. In track and field competitors have to actually run togeather in relays. They are very used to performing around each other.

This is how Kori Ade's group works. They have weekly performance days when they are judged. And she wants to improve figure skating in the US.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
For the ladies especially, the name of the caller will likely have more effect on the results than the countries of the judges.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So how about those U.S. Ladies?

If you feel a post breaks the guidelines please report it. Do not argue or call out posters in the thread.

R.D.

Record Breaker
FWIW, Wagner said in today's US World Team Hangout Session that she has recovered from a hard fall she took during a show a couple of weeks ago - she claims that 3-3s are strong and the only thing left is "repetition" - take it for what it's worth

I'll believe it when I see it, of course ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FWIW, Wagner said in today's US World Team Hangout Session that she has recovered from a hard fall she took during a show a couple of weeks ago - she claims that 3-3s are strong and the only thing left is "repetition" - take it for what it's worth

I'll believe it when I see it, of course ;)

She must be referring to the unfortunate splat she took at the Skate Niagara ice show on February 26th. I'm glad to hear she's better, as I was really worried for her at the show.