2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, there was also that hearsay (?) report that she did no jumps during a test skate run through last week and still appeared to be affected, so - a) she recovered quickly in the past few days b) Team Wagner is putting on a brave face while they're struggling/melting down inside c) the "hearsay report" is wrong and she's rolling and ready to go.

Again: I'll believe it when I see it.

frida80

Record Breaker
Well, there was also that hearsay (?) report that she did no jumps during a test skate run through last week and still appeared to be affected, so - a) she recovered quickly in the past few days b) Team Wagner is putting on a brave face while they're struggling/melting down inside c) the "hearsay report" is wrong and she's rolling and ready to go.

I hope this report is wrong. The last thing Ashley needs is to hide an injury this close to worlds. If we lose our 3 spots, I'd doubt USFS would ever let that go. If she is truly injured, it's better if she skips this worlds and focus on next year instead. But I don't think anyone would risk doing that after what happened to Rachael Flatt.

frida80

Record Breaker
Again, the first alternate is Mirai Nagasu......

You're right! And just like 2011, she just did well at 4CC. The similarities are creepy. I hope these are all just coincidences. I'm going to just going to think positive thoughts.

narcissa

Record Breaker
She's basically self-supporting. No family money, few endorcements. Needs to pay her half of Raf's plane ticket to Boston.

Why doesn't Ashley have endorsements? Does Gracie? Seems like Gracie would rake them in because she's conventionally attractive but that just seems so unfair, IMO.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why doesn't Ashley have endorsements? Does Gracie? Seems like Gracie would rake them in because she's conventionally attractive but that just seems so unfair, IMO.

Ashley and Gracie both are very attractive.

They both have some endorsements, but any income earned from shows prob. is very helpful in paying the bills of both skaters.

desertskates

Medalist
I hope this report is wrong. The last thing Ashley needs is to hide an injury this close to worlds. If we lose our 3 spots, I'd doubt USFS would ever let that go. If she is truly injured, it's better if she skips this worlds and focus on next year instead. But I don't think anyone would risk doing that after what happened to Rachael Flatt.

I agree. The Rachel Flatt thing is way too fresh in everyone's minds to let a situation like that come into play. Hopefully, Ashley can shake this off and turn in great programs in Boston!

Last edited:

temadd

Final Flight

I doubt that she's pulling a Rachel Flatt. More likely that she was just playing it safe last week.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

How much money do competitive skaters even make? They don't get salaries do they? I've often wondered how these athletes make enough money to pay for cars and rent, etc. when the training and equipment costs so much. I know you get paid for shows and medaling at competitions, but what happens if you're a skater who isn't medaling at a bunch of competitions and not getting top level funding from your federation? Do you have to then become dependent on family money and sponsors?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How much money do competitive skaters even make? They don't get salaries do they? I've often wondered how these athletes make enough money to pay for cars and rent, etc. when the training and equipment costs so much. I know you get paid for shows and medaling at competitions, but what happens if you're a skater who isn't medaling at a bunch of competitions and not getting top level funding from your federation? Do you have to then become dependent on family money and sponsors?

I think so. Even the champion's prize money at the biggest events would probably barely cover expenses for the year. There was a small windows after Lillihammer when a lot of skaters were doing well; I even remember Todd Eldridge talking about buying a Ferrari. These days, I think it has to be family money for most skaters (at least in the US). As for current ladies, I'd be shocked if any Americans other than Ashley and Gracie were earning six figures through all of their commercial engagements.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if you guys followed Canadian ladies, you would know about our Cinderella story... Michelle Long

the article linked is from last year... when she made her debut at the Nationals, at age 22 and surprisingly finished 7th.. this year, she bettered that result and earned a spot on the National team with a 5th place.... nope... she doesn't do all the triple jumps... nope.. she's not a world contender let alone a Canadian podium contender... but here is why I mention her... Figure skating is EXTREMELY expensive... and for many it means this
Her unlikely story is even more astounding when you consider Long balances her training by holding down three serving/bartending jobs and part-time studies at York University. On a typical day, she is up at 7:00 a.m., and goes non-stop. By the time she leaves work, it is after 2 a.m. the next morning.

mrrice

Record Breaker
if you guys followed Canadian ladies, you would know about our Cinderella story... Michelle Long

the article linked is from last year... when she made her debut at the Nationals, at age 22 and surprisingly finished 7th.. this year, she bettered that result and earned a spot on the National team with a 5th place.... nope... she doesn't do all the triple jumps... nope.. she's not a world contender let alone a Canadian podium contender... but here is why I mention her... Figure skating is EXTREMELY expensive... and for many it means this

I will never be able to stress enough how much a lack of money can influence a skaters career. I grew up in Santa Barbara, Ca. and most people who live in, or near the area have a relatively decent amount of money. Maybe it's because there wasn't another rink within 50 miles of our town that skating was so expensive but it was. Also, In my case, the better you got, the more expensive it became to stay competitive. I don't know if I would ever have become a high level skater but, I know there were some very good skaters who had to quit because they couldn't afford it.

Here's another question. Can these skaters except financial gifts from friends or family? I just helped a friends daughter pay for cheerleading which was a frightening $1,100.00 just for to pay for football season. This did NOT included the most expensive part of being a cheerleader which is Uniforms. Now, if you're from the US, you know that American Football doesn't start until late August and most don't start until after Labor Day. The coach said that those who hadn't paid for their uniforms would not be allowed to PRACTICE until they had paid in full. Frightening....It's March for goodness sake.:drama:

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
I will never be able to stress enough how much a lack of money can influence a skaters career. I grew up in Santa Barbara, Ca. and most people who live in, or near the area have a relatively decent amount of money. Maybe it's because there wasn't another rink within 50 miles of our town that skating was so expensive but it was. Also, In my case, the better you got, the more expensive it became to stay competitive. I don't know if I would ever have become a high level skater but, I know there were some very good skaters who had to quit because they couldn't afford it.

Here's another question. Can these skaters except financial gifts from friends or family? I just helped a friends daughter pay for cheerleading which was a frightening $1,100.00 just for to pay for football season. This did NOT included the most expensive part of being a cheerleader which is Uniforms. Now, if you're from the US, you know that American Football doesn't start until late August and most don't start until after Labor Day. The coach said that those who hadn't paid for their uniforms would not be allowed to PRACTICE until they had paid in full. Frightening....It's March for goodness sake.:drama:

I've seen some skaters do gofundme pages to raise money towards going to nationals and stuff. So I'm pretty sure family and friends can donate towards the skater as sponsors. I wonder if they can do the beauty Pageant thing and ask local businesses to sponsor you.

o_O at the cheerleading thing. Another reason I'm pushing my kids into science.

mrrice

Record Breaker

KABOOM!!!!!:laugh2: My Father tried.......and failed to get me to do the same thing. Dissecting a cat?????? Are you kidding, Never!! My Baby..:drama:

frida80

Record Breaker

KABOOM!!!!!:laugh2: My Father tried.......and failed to get me to do the same thing. Dissecting a cat?????? Are you kidding, Never!! My Baby..:drama:

They don't really do cats anymore. It's fetal pigs and sharks now along with the frogs. Zoology was great. All amount dissecting invertebrate and drawing their innards. Ironically my niece loved sitting in the class with me. :scratch2: oh well, she's always been fascinated with animals. Better than paying for another sport or hobby she quits after a few weeks.

mrrice

Record Breaker
They don't really do cats anymore. It's fetal pigs and sharks now along with the frogs. Zoology was great. All amount dissecting invertebrate and drawing their innards. Ironically my niece loved sitting in the class with me. :scratch2: oh well, she's always been fascinated with animals. Better than paying for another sport or hobby she quits after a few weeks.

This very interesting to read. I will admit to being a very "Dorky" child. I was terrible at math but, I could spend hours writing stories for English class. I was also very good in speech and debate. However, show me the inside of an animal......I was like a bat of He**..:dev2: Gone.......

frida80

Record Breaker
This very interesting to read. I will admit to being a very "Dorky" child. I was terrible at math but, I could spend hours writing stories for English class. I was also very good in speech and debate. However, show me the inside of an animal......I was like a bat of He**..:dev2: Gone.......

I was a science nut. I despised reading and didn't take to it until I was an adult. The best thing about this class is that make prof was has worked out in the field researching tons of exotic and endangered species around the world. She had so many stories, which were hilarious and kept our attention. Her sons were violin protégées and often stopped by to visit. I got reamed out for letting the elder attempt to dissect a clam with a knife. He had "violin hands" after all. I guess that's why I she had my niece enthralled.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was a science nut. I despised reading and didn't take to it until I was an adult. The best thing about this class is that make prof was has worked out in the field researching tons of exotic and endangered species around the world. She had so many stories, which were hilarious and kept our attention. Her sons were violin protégées and often stopped by to visit. I got reamed out for letting the elder attempt to dissect a clam with a knife. He had "violin hands" after all. I guess that's why I she had my niece enthralled.

That story is great!!!! There are so many stories about how over bearing Parents can be. My Father was a very BIG Military Officer and to say that he didn't "Fit In" in a skating rink is an understatement. I will never forgot the words that ended my skating career...."That's It!! We're leaving!!" It sounds very sad when I write it down but, that's exactly what happened. We got into our station wagon, and my skating career was over. :sad21:

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
That story is great!!!! There are so many stories about how over bearing Parents can be. My Father was a very BIG Military Officer and to say that he didn't "Fit In" in a skating rink is an understatement. I will never forgot the words that ended my skating career...."That's It!! We're leaving!!" It sounds very sad when I write it down but, that's exactly what happened. We got into our station wagon, and my skating career was over. :sad21:

:sad21:

That's so sad! I'm glad she didn't let her difference interest affect her sons' talent. She was very supportive of them. It wouldn't surprise me if they both were playing in the Phil harmonic.

This has been like the longest month in history. Worlds is takng too long to get here...

Last edited: