2015 Russian Nationals Gala | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Gala

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Russian Nationals was really pleasant this year. Hoping to see everyone improved next season! Considering a sudden retirement from Machida, I am worried that we will not see some of the people competed here again.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just looked through the thread. Thank goodness I left before Kovtun came on. It was awful watching that routine during the GP Final Gala, so I'm glad I missed it here.

Annoyed about missing the rest of the routines and most of the Finale, though.

Thankfully, I got back just in time for Zhenya to get his moment in the Finale. :biggrin:

But, now I'm gonna be singing Abba's "Happy New Year" all day! :laugh:

Well, it could be worse. It could be One Direction... :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
No really. She is great in that character but the program was :disagree: , and the costume as well. Especially the low part. :scratch:

Oh, I was laughing at Kovtun's fall, not Anna. I should have been more specific.

makaihime

Final Flight
Anna Pogo...I have no idea what is happening there but I don't like it. At all. And what was up with her jumps? :hopelessness:

And Sergei's EX was really nice and the effects that his black gloves gave made him look like he had no hands. :unsure: Was it intentional?

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Anna's ex was a bit rough, esp. the end, it just kind of fizzled out without any kind of climax. I do prefer "Rise Like A Phoenix," but I actually love the Fifth Element concept and the costume looked pretty cool, imo. She is a risk taker, and I appreciate that a lot.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Anna Pogo...I have no idea what is happening there but I don't like it. At all. And what was up with her jumps? :hopelessness:

What jumps? I haven't re-watched Anna's exhibition a second time, but I only recall one jump, which she fell on. Other than that, she spent half the time rolling around on the ice.

But yeah, it was different, I will give her that.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Glad the gala was archived so I could watch it.

Kovtun's program both disappointed and impressed me. When I saw the posts about it in the GP, I thought it'll be really gratuitous, like he's doing Liza's Bolero choreography + hip thrusts. But now that I've seen it... it's actually pretty tame. More like "I'm partying" than "I'm sexy." I'm disappointed it wasn't as crazy as I expected, but impressed that after the first jump, he sold it much better than his competitive programs. I wish he'd bring some of that personality to his competitive routines. The contrast was stark, when Muse started playing and my attention immediately wandered away. But overall I still liked him more than any of his competitors in the gala.

Liza and Anna actually did go for sexy. :biggrin: I'm okay with Anna's outfit, but the music and program didn't seem to build or go anywhere. Elena is incredible as always--this girl's a star and she knows it!

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Tarasova/Morozov and especially Stolbova/Klimov. Usually not a fan, but S/K totally got the crowd going and I can see exactly why they were the last winners to perform. Even though they looked a little dizzy/tired, they still pretty much landed both throws.

Lovely emotional skates from I/Z and S/B. I felt bad for Zhiganshin and Bukin though--seemed like the cameraman only wanted to leer--er, look--at the pretty girls. The camera seemed out of it in general, focusing on feet and sometimes even shadows during spins.

Plushy is still the King. :rock: I'm sick to death of Storm, but the release of energy was incredible and made a nice contrast to the languid ease of his second program. I have no idea where he pulled that quad from.

The finale was a little disjointed but charming because of it. Artur and Kovtun win the awkward dancing award. :laugh:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Lovely emotional skates from I/Z and S/B. I felt bad for Zhiganshin and Bukin though--seemed like the cameraman only wanted to leer--er, look--at the pretty girls. The camera seemed out of it in general, focusing on feet and sometimes even shadows during spins.

The camera-work in general during the Russian Nationals was really bizarre, every day of the events. Many people have already mentioned the constant lingering shots on Christmas decorations. The camera seemed to zoom in for extreme close-ups (ala Wayne's World) every time Ilinykh was anywhere on the ice (literally seemed like the camera was glued to her for every second). Also, there was the extreme close-up of Julia in the K&C after the reality of the scores set in, but good for dramatic effort I guess. But then to make matters worse, they immediately cut to Adelina in the crowd, as if to ask, "What do you think of that, huh??"

Then today, there was a cut to a random guy who was apparently giving the middle finger to the camera. Why was that necessary?

Seconded on the awkward dancing by Kovtun. He was so out of sync with the rest of the guys, he stood out like a sore thumb.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The camera-work in general during the Russian Nationals was really bizarre, every day of the events. Many people have already mentioned the constant lingering shots on Christmas decorations. The camera seemed to zoom in for extreme close-ups (ala Wayne's World) every time Ilinykh was anywhere on the ice (literally seemed like the camera was glued to her for every second). Also, there was the extreme close-up of Julia in the K&C after the reality of the scores set in, but good for dramatic effort I guess. But then to make matters worse, they immediately cut to Adelina in the crowd, as if to ask, "What do you think of that, huh??"

Then today, there was a cut to a random guy who was apparently giving the middle finger to the camera. Why was that necessary?

Anything is better than when they went for this creepy angle last year. I don't approve :no:

https://pp.vk.me/c313919/v313919213/55af/zDdjrCIvmVY.jpg

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't managed to watch the whole Gala yet, but I did see the finale with the men dancing and doing the jumps and my first thought was "Geeze guys, can we have a bit of colour in here?", my second thought was ":laugh: Nice dancing!" and my third thought was "Oh yeah, Plushy, you show 'em how it's done!" :cheer2:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I wonder if it's the same camera guy that zoomed in on Brian's package for several lingering shots at Moscow Worlds a few years ago.

That's totally not why I have that video saved in my favorites, though. :slink::eek::

The photo with Julia is extremely creepy, not just because she is a minor, but her coaches were standing right there and did nothing! Terrible...

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anna looks stunning in her new outfit, but the program is bland. Maybe she does not have enough time to prepare, two different exhibitions in a season seem a lot.