2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings

KatGrace1925

Medalist
1. Medvedeva - for obvious reasons.
2. Miyahara - this girl is consistent and she consistently gets on the podium.
3. Gold - All she needs to do is skate clean and she'll medal, the judges love her. I think she either finds her confidence this season or she drops in my rankings.
4. Radionova - I looked at the season as a whole and Radionova was consistently at the top or near the top.
5. Wagner - she did wonderful at worlds, but can she keep the momentum going?
6. Pogoliaya - She's great but I ranked her lower due to her bad season. She seems like she's found some consistency, lets see what she does this year.
7. Asada - she could very well have a great year this year but from what I saw last year she's not there yet.
8. Lipintskaya - I want to see her come roaring back!
9. Edmunds - I have high hopes for her this year but I can't put her higher till I see what she's got.
10. Tuktamysheva - I don't see her coming back strong but she defintely could.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
here we go again with the presumption. :palmf:

No kidding, no one can predict what happened to someone through this kind of comparison. There's a possibility she'll struggle skating is difficult to be good at season after season but she could still remain consistent. Presuming that would be crazy.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
Can I just say, that as a Canadian who has watched our ladies field flounder over the past few years, I AM SO PROUD TO SEE MY GIRLS IN THESE LISTS. I'm too scared to make a ranking out of fear of jinxing them, but I've got my fingers crossed for all three of our ladies! I'm wishing them all healthy seasons, and crossing my fingers they'll bring home three World's spots for the Olympic season.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Can I just say, that as a Canadian who has watched our ladies field flounder over the past few years, I AM SO PROUD TO SEE MY GIRLS IN THESE LISTS. I'm too scared to make a ranking out of fear of jinxing them, but I've got my fingers crossed for all three of our ladies! I'm wishing them all healthy seasons, and crossing my fingers they'll bring home three World's spots for the Olympic season.

Does 3 worlds spots mean 3 Olympic spots as well?!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ha! Given my last year's ranking.. I am just going to say it is better if I say I know nothing right off the bat. LOL... live and learn!!

Mao, good luck! I am curious on the Russians teens du jour. I am kind of hoping Anna can pull an 'Ashley Wagner' and reach her full potential by year end. Liza Tuk san meldonium is still world champion material? I hope so.
Can Elena get a decent program FINALLY?!! Come on Marin and Wakaba, Zijun big cheer for you. US ladies? Sunset Boulavard Ashley, Come on Gracie, Go go Karen, Don't give up Mirai/// lol... Polina pls don't do another cliche program that is too old or too young for you, you are better than that.

Sotnikova is just gorgeous if she can land her jumps clean. She has an amazing speed and height when jumping, she has artistry, she has it all basically. The only question is how hard she's actually able (and wants to) train and how much consistency she can show. Evgenia and the other russian ladies surely won't make it easy for her, but if Adelina still is the same that won in Sochi, well...she's just te best of the russians (and maybe the world, lol) in my opinion.

:laugh2: :rofl:

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
#1 (expected) Evgeniya Medvedeva, Russia; They like me! They really like me! (for at least another year)
#2 (expected) Ashley Wagner- USA; Pushing the age limitations... But maybe not; maybe hitting that sweet spot where experience and confidence meets the power and talent of youth.
#3 (bold pick) Anna Pogorilaya, Russia: It's a new world, with new possibilities! Anything is possible.... just remember what it took and what you are capable of and the points will come.
#4 (expected) Satoko Miyahara, Japan; What didn't she do at Worlds that she hadn't consistently done all season before? Didn't even podium... Perhaps her "smallness" is wearing thin? But not thin enough yet. (for at least another year)
#5 (expected) Elena Radionova, Russa; She's Russian, c'mon! Seriously though, she believes she's podium material and she WON'T let the judges forget that. If Anna reverts to form and Satako brings nothing new and if Ashley...
#6 (expected) Mao Asada, Japan: Her time is up but she's also due but her time is up but she is ""MAO ASADA!!"" but, but, but... She's given herself a good talking to and she's told herself; self, pretend this is our last season... EVER.
#7 (bold pick) Polina Edmunds, USA: The Americans are back but sorry Goldie this pick is more about you than Polina. Scratch that; this IS about Polina!
#8(bold pick) Gracie Gold, USA: Bring in the usual suspects and see who cracks first... A season of ups and downs.
#9(bold pick) Adelina Sotnikova, Russa: The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming! The rehabilitation tour begins NOW.
#10 (bold pick) So Youn Park, Korea: Year before the Korean games and its national federation decides to "exert" some influence for the first time. Oh, and Park doesn't give the judges a choice in the matter.
And Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Rika Hongo and Maria Sotskova might have something to say about ALL my "bold picks" :drama:

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
#4 (expected) Satoko Miyahara, Japan; What didn't she do at Worlds that she hadn't consistently done all season before? Didn't even podium... Perhaps her "smallness" is wearing thin? But not thin enough yet. (for at least another year)

Everyone skated clean-ish long programs and she was given the lowest PCS. Even so, she was 3rd in the free and earned a small bronze medal. The same will happen next season; she will continue to receive low PCS but might get bigger TES because this time her programs have a higher base value. As a consequence, the bigger her TES, the bigger the number of pages in certain competition threads.

chloepoco

Medalist
Everyone skated clean-ish long programs and she was given the lowest PCS. Even so, she was 3rd in the free and earned a small bronze medal. The same will happen next season; she will continue to receive low PCS but might get bigger TES because this time her programs have a higher base value. As a consequence, the bigger her TES, the bigger the number of pages in certain competition threads.

So true, unfortunately.

ssffww

On the Ice
I've become very superstitious and I won't partake in this fun ranking exercise, strictly out of fear I might jinx someone. However I seriously can't wait for some of these currently lowly-ranked ladies to knock the non-believers' socks off this season... :cool:

Wow! You have some power to be able to influence the skaters by a mere post. If I had that, Ashley would have been world champ years ago. :)

ssffww

On the Ice
I'm just throwing this out there. I have no idea at this point how any of them are going to do, but it'll be good for a laugh at the end of the season. :)

1. New Russian wonder kid
2. Anna Pogorilaya
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Evgenia Medvedeva
5. Mao Asada
6. Satoko Miyahara
7. Gracie Gold
8. Carolina Kostner
9. Gabby Daleman
10. Polina Edmunds

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
1. Mao Asada - Because she is the best in the world, whether the judges like her or not - Her technical ability is unmatched and her artistry likewise unmatched - she may sometimes be inconsistent, but when I look at her performances the past year, she did impress me alot, the only thing that didn't impress me is the scoring, the judges have a tendency to underappreciate and underscore her, but marks today is soo unpredictable and strange and doesn't make sense, that's why I take it with a grain of salt, and decide to enjoy true skating, like the ones she presents, I love her new programs, her jumps, spins and steps look sooo beautiful in the clips that i have seen - it's quality skating. I really hope she will be on top of the podium at worlds, that's where she belongs!

2.Evgeniya Medvedeva - because she seem consistent and the judges love her

3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - I think she will have a comeback year

as for the rest I have no idea

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Wow! You have some power to be able to influence the skaters by a mere post. If I had that, Ashley would have been world champ years ago. :)

Haha, nice try ssffww... Nope, as tempted as I am to share with the forum a piece of my mind, I shall not jinx my favorite skaters. :biggrin: Let's just say I foresee (and hope) things turn out differently from what most are predicting right now. The ladies' field is super exciting because of its unpredictability.

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
Just putting here that I hope Lipnitskaya has an awful season... because all my predictions go wrong.

...If I do jinx her, though, and I am not seen after, know that it is because I slammed my head on the wall one too many times.

bosskil

Match Penalty
Just putting here that I hope Lipnitskaya has an awful season... because all my predictions go wrong.

...If I do jinx her, though, and I am not seen after, know that it is because I slammed my head on the wall one too many times.
Reverse jinx sacriface, love it! :laugh2:
Thank you on behalf of all ubers... :biggrin:

dogdog

Spectator
1.Asada
2.Medvedeva
3.Gold
4.Wagner
5.Miyahara
6.Radionova
7.Higuchi
8(or 3).Pogorilaya