2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I like the idea to rank the power pre-season and then to watch how these rankings go down the drain. Just to remind what was discussed a year ago.

The key thing for everyone was to agree on who would be at the top, Mao or Liza Tuk. Well, we know how it went.

No one had a cristal ball to see the rise of Evgeniya....but Andyjo24 who placed her just after Liza: "I will give Evgenia second due to her consistency recently as well as unique style. I have a feeling she will do extremely well despite it being her first season. I am not a fan of hers yet, but I gotta give it to her. This girl knows how to compete".

No one placed the bronze medalist Anna Pogo into top three. The rest was quite chaotic.

So, let's try it again with hopes that this time the future will be the way we want it to be.

#1 Evgeniya Medvedeva, Russia Who would argue at this point of time? She crushed everyone everywhere last season (CoR was not important). She showed she can not only easily do 3s-3t toward the end of her FP - she can keep her cool after going just 4th after SP to break the WR in FP. What will she be up to this season? There were concerns that she gained weight, that she was not that impressive in Japan. I think, this season might not be an easy breeze for her. And with 2018 around the corner the task will be to stay healthy and to adjust to her body changes. So I think she might not be as dominant as the last season. But her margin over everybody else was so big (it was especially visible in Spokane) that it will be enough for her to win both Europe and the Worlds.

#2 Satoko Miyahara, Japan I am not a fan of her skating. But boy, this girl is consistent. Last season she achieved a good pcs increase although I cannot say that she improved a lot vs. the previous season. So she ended up as a 205-210 skater. If she keeps her consistency she will become a 210-215 skater which will be enough for any podium may be except the worlds.

#3 Anna Pogorilaya, Russia I would give her world silver in the last championship. She had 2 clean excellent programs. Masterpieces, I would say. I saw her live during the nationals. It was just mesmerising. She had 3 fabulous skates: Mordovia, Nationals, and the worlds. And she had disaster skates during GP and Europe. That's why I cannot put her above Satoko yet.

#4 Gracie Gold, USA Well, she was the fourth in the words - I would give her fourth power rank. She is fast and confident while skating. She has good edges. She used to have gigantic jumps - not anymore, though. And judges like her no matter what. But she is inconsistent. She had her best shot at the worlds - I am sure with a clean FP she would have received more than 150 and would have breaked all the records. This would have started lengthy discussions how unfair it had been....but it never happened. Will it happen again? I doubt, because if Medvedeva does not collapse like Tuk last season, her pcs will be equal to Gracy's and Gracy will never beat Medvedeva on tech.

#5 Mao Asada, Japan Mao is Mao - a triple world champion. But in the current field she should try something different from the last season to get podiums once again. With clean 3As and completed combos even with wrong lutz edge and a couple of <s she can be competitive with Medvedeva. If she aims at 2018, she may play it safe. But then the question is what Rika and Wakaba can show (the place of Satoko is firm, I guess)

#6 Ashley Wagner, USA I like her on ice much more than Gracie. But realistically, can she keep the momentum she gained in the Worlds? I am not sure. She is going to be 26 and her main goal is 2018 medal. I think she will try different things this season and play it safe. I don't think she will get big podiums this time.

#7 Elena Radionova, Russa She may get closer to top 3 if she gets back her landings. I understand the growth spurt had its toll on her and she fiercely fought for her place in the team despite all odds. But so far it is not clear if her troubles are over.

#8 Yulia Lipnitskaya, Russia Lakernik went to Sochi and reported that Yulia got her all jumps back. If it is true she will be back in the game. It does not matter that many other girls now try similar I-spins, that Lozko's spins are unparallel in creativity. Yulia is Yulia - a little girl with a tremendous charisma and brand equity. So if only her jumps are back.

#9 Rika Hongo, Japan She lost somehow very good momentum she gained during 2014-2015 season. She started to have consistency issues and her posture is not perfect. Still she has a lot of good values like big jumps and emotional skating. Her Lord of the Dance SS was a treat. I am sure she has not said her last word yet.

#10 Elizabeth Tursunbaeva, Kazakhstan Many expected a breakthrough from her last season. It did not happen. But is difficult to argue that there are a lot of good qualities about her. And being Orser's top lady she might have her redemption this year. The question is though if she is going to stay as tiny as she is. Because if she starts to grow she may lose it all.

That's my power ranking with some early forecasts. Will I laugh at myself at the end of the season?

Some other thoughts:

Tuk and Sotnikova. Somehow, I lost faith in them. There are no news that they are ready, willing, and able. May be I will change my mind after test skates.

Sotskova. She changed the coach. But it will be very very difficult to break into senior ranks as she could not win juniors after all these years. Although I like her style a lot.

Caro. I don't know. She was never the queen of consistency. And you cannot get to the top if you are not consistent now. It will be a miracle if she comes back stronger than she used to be. Let's believe in miracles!

Kuchvalska. Some people think she was robbed not getting a Spokane license. But frankly speaking I don't see much potential for her to get way above her 15th place in the last worlds.

Edmunds. There is a discussion if this season is going to be hers. Let's see - she has very good potential, indeed. But to get into 2018 team she should fix a lot of bugs.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Yay, so glad this is coming back. Last year when I did this I was worried other people might not be interested. :p

We saw how useless these Power Rankings are last season when neither Mao nor Liza (everybody's one-two) won much of anything. :laugh2: But they're still fun to do.

1. Evgenia Medvedeva- Russia.
Is there any doubt? She won nearly every competition she entered last year, and there's no reason to suspect her meteoric rise to the top of the sport was a fluke. Her jumps are big, backloaded, and unquestionably rotated (although that flutz still remains a problem) and her consistency was second to none last year. she doesn't really have a weakness- her spins are excellent, and she has better presentation and skating skills than most of the field, even at her young age. It will be interesting to see how she handles the pressure of being European and World Champion, but I'm strangely not worried about her at all. Her competitive fire and ability to grind out the jumps gives me a feeling that she's going to be just fine this season.

2. Ashley Wagner- USA.
Is this crazy? Yeah, probably. But Wagner deservedly receives some of the highest PC scores in the entire field- her ability to perform and sell her programs is excellent. She finally appeared to show a little bit of consistency in the latter half of last season- doing a clean short and a clean long in the SAME competition- and hopefully that's a confidence builder for her moving forward. Wagner is a really scary competitor, especially when she's rotating her triple triples. I think her Exogenesis program is a really refreshing choice for her, and should help her show off her skating skills. Is this Wagner's year? She's never looked better.

3. Satoko Miyahara- Japan.

Aside from Medvedeva, Miyahara is definitely the most consistent competitor in the figure skating world. She never blows you away- her jumps are much too small to have a wow factor- but she's always in the mix. I can't actually remember the last time she fell in competition. Some people have mentioned that her jumps have gotten a little bigger- great. But her best qualities will always be her fast entered spins and her lovely skating skills. I think Musette's Waltz will suit her perfectly, and though I'm not a fan of her long program (the backhanded use of the first 15 seconds and last 5 seconds of Jupiter makes me want to puke), it doesn't really matter what I think, does it? Miyahara will surely be in the hunt for another world medal this season.

4. Anna Pogorilaya- Russia.
I predicted an epic collapse for Anna at the World Championships, but she made me eat crow. Anna at her best is stunning- her jumps have so much air and distance. Her end to the season was so, so good, and if she could do that at every competition, she would be right up there with Medvedeva at the top of my rankings. But she still has work to do to show me (and more importantly, the judges) that she can keep up that quality of performance through an entire season. I also think her presentation is weaker than that of her compatriot Evgenia's- she skates fast but doesn't really perform or interpret the music to the standard of competitors like Wagner. Something to work on this season, maybe.

5. Gracie Gold, USA.
Oh, Gracie. I felt so sorry for her when she felt devastated by her fourth place finish at worlds. sHe's such a wonderful skater and has an incredible wow factor, as she displayed during her Nationals free skate. The only reason she's this low is because she's yet to find the consistency of her competitors. I think her programs the last two years have been relatively weak, and I must say i'm not particularly excited about her music choices this year either. One thing I'd like her to do is to perform her programs regardless of how well she's jumping. Gracie, as amazing as she can be, is a very bland skater when she's not jumping well- like she's given up on the skate. Don't give up, Gracie!

6. Mao Asada- Japan.
My opinion of her hasn't changed. If she skates clean with her planned jumps, there's no one in the world that can beat her. But her inconsistency is incredibly frustrating. Everyone thought after the Japan Open that she was the one to beat, but she never found her stride during the entire season. Her skating is among the best in the world, but her (IMO, low) PC scores reflect the technical struggles that she's had recently. If she gets her jumps back, she could absolutely contend for a medal at Worlds. I'd also like to see Mao give a little more in her performances- she has beautiful edges but doesn't open up to the audience as much as I'd like to see.

7. Elena Radionova- Russia.

I think it speaks to the depth of the ladies field that Radionova is down in seventh. The reason she's down here, despite her reasonably consistent results, is because I don't think she has as big of a ceiling as some of the other competitors. She doesn't have the big, clean jumps- instead, her jumps are scratchy and barely rotated. Her skating and presentation strikes me as a bit rushed and frantic; she's not quite as polished as some of the others. The reason she's still relevant is because she fought through puberty to land her jumps, and she's still an excellent performer. You can tell she loves to skate.

8. Gabby Daleman- Canada.

Another... Surprising pick, perhaps. but she really found her stride last year. She won Nationals with an excellent skate, and had a great finish at worlds. Her 3T 3T combination is exceptional, as are the rest of her jumps. I think she made great strides last year in her performance and skating- I think her programs were a great way for her to show off her fun, playful side. Last season was a confidence builder for Gabby and I look forward to seeing her continue to develop as a skater this year.

9. Rika Hongo- Japan.
Rika was probably a little disappointed with her results last season- I know she would have liked to make the Grand Prix Final again. Her programs last year were a hit, and I think Lawrence of Arabia will suit her quite well this year. She still has posture issues that I'd like her to fix, but last year she proved she was a very competent performer, capable of bringing in the crowd. If she gets her jumps down, she'll be in the mix near the top for sure.

10. Polina Edmunds- USA.
I struggled a lot with this spot- there were many contenders. Ultimately, I went with Polina because I feel she has so much potential. It's unfortunate that she couldn't compete at the two big international events late last season, because she was trending in the right direction with two exceptional skates at Nationals. Hopefully her boot and injury issues are behind her, and she can continue to build this season. Her GWTW program was quite lousy, truth be told, and hopefully her programs this year suit her a bit more. I'd love for her to keep showing off those incredibly long, elegant limbs. She proved she could be right up there with Gracie and Ashley when she can rotate her jumps.

Honorable Mentions:
Yulia Lipnitskaya- Russia. I could see some improvement from her last year after she switched coaches, but she still has plenty of work to do to catch up with the world's best. Her technical difficulty has to improve if she wants to keep up with her fellow Russians. she's still so lovely to watch though, I'm pulling for her.

Mirai Nagasu- USA. I wasn't a fan of her programs this season, but I think she's slowly regaining her form. She was rotating a lot of her jumps this year and showed a level of consistency that was encouraging. Her programs this season are far more sophisticated and should work wonders for her.

Wild Cards:

Adelina Sotnikova- Russia. In terms of skating skills and performance, i think she's improved leaps and bounds and deserves the highest scores among all Russians. That being said, her jumps are still wild and unsteady, and she'll need far more difficult programs to compete with the best.

Liza Tuktamysheva- Russia. It was a shame to see Liza struggle the way she did last year- it looked like the pressure and tiring schedule got to her. I'd love to see her come back swinging with her HUGE lutz and axel this year, but there's little evidence to suggest she will.

Carolina Kostner- Italy. The ULTIMATE wild card- she could win a world medal or finish dead last. No one knows. Her skating ability is simply unmatched right now, and when she's on, her jumps are sparkling. From what I've heard, the jumps aren't coming yet. She'll need to get them going if she wants to be successful in this current field.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
1. Evgenia
2. Satoko
3. Anna P.

The rest are a jumbled mess in my head and sentiment prevents me from going any further. :biggrin:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yay!

1. EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA

It's no guarantee-it seems like there's a one-season-and-disaster Russian phenom every season-but Evgenia seems different. Her jumps are more solid and she really doesn't seem to have a weakness to speak of. She could well be the first Russian teen in a while to have two extremely good seasons in a row.

2. SATOKO MIYAHARA

Satoko has made a name for herself with her insane consistency (and possibly for being GS's favorite person to criticize when it comes to jumps :slink:), which is her strongest asset, but she's got an impressive list of strengths to go with it: her spins, interpretation, and SS are all top-of-the-line. I like her new FS, and her jumps look to have improved. Barring anything crazy, she will be a force to be reckoned with again this season.

3. ELENA RADIONOVA

Call me nuts, but Elena's consistency in the midst of a huge growth spurt has been unlike anything I've ever seen and says loads about her competitive nerve. She needs to clean up her jumps and generally polish herself a little more, but her spins are great, she can land things when it counts, she's got boatloads of charisma, and she's unreasonably adorable to boot.

4. ASHLEY WAGNER

Ashley finally gained some consistency at the end of last season, which, provided she can somewhat keep it up, will be a big deal this season. She's still prone to two-foots and missed levels, but both areas are improving. As much as I don't like to admit it, I fully expect her to move ahead of Gracie in the US hierarchy this season.

5. GRACIE GOLD

Oh, Gracie...your endless potential and endless inability to actually perform to it are wearing me out. She literally has everything (except some artistic stuff) but she CANNOT LAND THINGS...gergh. I won't give up yet, but I'm not expecting a whole lot. *whacks head on table*

6. MAO ASADA

See above ^^. Has everything, rarely displays it in competiton. A living legend who I really want to skate well but usually doesn't.

7. ANNA POGORILAYA

A talented jumper who used to be consistent, it seems that she's sacrificed her consistency for great improvement on the artistic side of her skating. She's actually a decent performer now, but a truly tragic headcase. (Unlike Gracie, she sometimes puts two clean programs together-usually when it most counts-but when she bombs, she absolutely IMPLODES.) There are two Annas: "Scaryfalls McHeadcase" and "WORLD BRONZE MEDALIST, SUCKERS!" Her results depend entirely upon which Anna shows up.

Side note: she needs a costumer who isn't color-blind because her illusion never matches and is often a ghastly peach color. :bang:

7. RIKA HONGO

Rika started off last season extremely strong, and everyone thought it would be a breakthrough year after two stunning performances and a silver medal at Cup of China. Her programs fit her very well and she was looking really consistent. But she lost her momentum at COR and never really gained it back. I'm hoping she can break through again, but with a very deep Japanese field this year, making Worlds could be a struggle.

8. POLINA EDMUNDS

If her new programs are good, I think this could finally be her year. (I want it to be because people are so mean to her, and I want her to have great programs and skate well so they'll shut up!)

9. GABRIELLE DALEMAN

FINALLY, a semi-consistent Canadian lady! Gabby is a very well-rounded skater: she can jump, spin, and perform quite well, and she's becoming pretty consistent. She's definitely on the upswing.

10. WAKABA HIGUCHI

Gut feeling. Don't ask.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Yulia Lipnitskaya
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Maria Sotskova
Elizabet Tursynbaeva
Kaetlyn Osmond
Alaine Chartrand

temadd

Final Flight
1. Evgenia Medvedeva - She is a competitive rock and technically sound. Even if she has a growth spurt I don't see it affecting her too much.

2. Ashley Wagner - I know most people don't have a ton of faith in her but she continues to improve and prove the naysayers wrong. She's earned my faith in her.

3. Maria Sotskova - There has to be a new young Russian phenom in the top so I'm taking a stab at it.

4. Gracie Gold - I have little faith in her and don't enjoy her programs but she's been 4th at worlds 2 yrs in a row. I hope she finds a way to keep her head on straight this season.

5. Polina Edmunds - The judges have shown her very little love up til now but I'm hoping that she's cleaned up her jumps and sees the error of her LP packaging at nationals. Her competitive consistency has to benefit her some time. Maybe this is the year.

6. Anna Pogorilaya - unpredictable, enuough said.

7. Elena Radionova - Assuming that the growth spurt is over . . . I so enjoy watching her but Titanic . . . and her posture. I might move her up after seeing this season's LP.

8. Satoko Myahara - I know, great skating skills, spins and consistency but I can't get past the jumps that barely get off the ice and the lack of fire.

9. Rika Hongo - I just love her.

10. Mao Asada - She should be higher but she'll have to prove herself this season

Likely to be in the mix:

Elizabet Tursynbaeva
Gabby Daleman
Wakaba Higuchi

Could be in the mix:
Yulia Lipnitskaia
Tukt
Wakaba Higuchi

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Ashley sure has bamboozled people into thinking she's some magnificent and consistent skater now. Lol Wherever Gracie and Mao are ranked, she should be ranked with them. Let's be real here.

temadd

Final Flight
Ashley sure has bamboozled people into thinking she's some magnificent and consistent skater now. Lol Wherever Gracie and Mao are ranked, she should be ranked with them. Let's be real here.

No need to be condescending. It's just my opinion. I will not condemn you for expressing your opinion.

Eclair

Medalist
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
She has the nerves and the technique to overcome puberty issues and is the undisputeted number one in all predictions. I'm looking forward to her new programms and hope they'll turn out to be amazing!

2. Satoko
She should be past puberty and she's consistent. Personally I think she gets too much credit for her jumps (prerotation) and would rank her lower, but my guess is that the judges will continue to reward her full rotations. In contrast, I'd raise her PCS since she's very polished in her movements and very musical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO315JVxxlQ

3. Ashley
She has had a bite of the cake now and I'm sure she's on fire. With Ashley, everything stands or falls with good programms. Will she continue to get high PCs? I'm definetly rooting for her!

4. Anna Pogo
I expect her to be just like last season - hot and cold. When she's on, she's breath-takingly beautiful. When she's off, she's reeeeally off. I'm rooting for her to be on at the right competitions - namely worlds and nationals.

5. Yulia
I'm so glad to hear that all her jumps are back, even though I won't believe it until I've seen it with my own eyes! Even though I cringle at her (often uncalled) flutz or the (often overlooked) traveling during spins, I love her thoughful personality and her determination. If she has her jumps back, I expect her to regain her consistency!

6. Gracie
Gracie is like Satoko for me. Personally I'd rank her lower, but judges tend to give her high PCS that'll allow her to miss one or two jumps and still end up on the podium. I expect her programms to be just like last season, just different music. Maybe Gracie will be a little more consistent this season, since she's in the underdog position right now. Still, personally I don't think Gracie deserves the PCS she gets (sign). Her overscoring really takes the joy out of her skating for me - Maybe I'd even like her, if she didn't regularily place above more deserving skaters due to her pcs.

7. Marin Honda
I saw her technical repertoire and it's quite something. She definetly has a shot at the top 5 if she's consistent. Right now, I'm not too smitten by her music choices, but maybe she'll surprise me and portay a totally fresh Julia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Yab23mUgo

8. Mao Asada
She definetly deserves more PCs then what she's gotten last season, especially compared to Elena Radionava and Gracie Gold. Her UR issues doesn't seem to improve which is what holds her back in winning another wolds title. Her new sp is nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Yab23mUgo but the choreo seems weird to me sometimes..

9. Elena Radionova
She needs better programms this season. Apart from that I'll second what I wrote about her last year - she has the crazyness and the grit to push through puberty.

10. Rika Hongo
I don't love her programms this season as much as I loved them last season. It seems too repetitive. She seems to have underrotation issues coming up, so maybe this season she'll improve on technique and posture.

10. Zijun Li
She is working with her old coach Mingzhu Li again ... I have my doubts that this will turn out great, since Mingzhu is known for her strict diets she puts on her female skaters while I think Zijun needs more muscles and more energy. I expect Zijun to be doing better than last season, but I doubt she'll fully reach her potential, namely a world medal. I wish Zijun would switch to Frank Caroll, since she improved so much under him last season. Also, I expect her to improve on her SS, since Pang Tong will be part of her coaching team as well.

11. Polina
She's grown so tall! Polina seem to have become an outgoing young lady and I hope will see a bit of this side in her new programms!

12. Mirai Nagasu
I like her new FS to the winner takes it all and I'm rooting for her to finally overcome her UR issue. She didn't seem to be in great shape right now, that's the reason I'm ranking her so low, but maybe she can regain her form faster than I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Yab23mUgo

13. Karen Chen
Karen is a wildcard, since she's so inconsistent. She a little like Anna Pogo - when she's on she amazing, when she's off she's reaaally off.

14. Yuka Nagai
I loved Yuka's sp at Skate Canada last season (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvcxDRTX-8. It was graceful and fierce and I can't prase that step sequence to very difficult music enough. I was hoping she'd get more dramatic and fierce music this season, but her choreographer went with soft and delicate, which I personally find rather forgettable. At least she'll be skating to Legend of the Fall, which I like very much (it's just not the perfect choice for her style)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'd have:

1. Medvedeva

2. Pogorilaya

3. Miyahara

But this is kind of a problem as I don't think either the #2 or #3 here are really all that good on the general level. Pogorilaya even at her best has way too many weaknesses and Miyahara's performances always leave me completely cold and even bored, her jumps also are very tough to enjoy.

Radionova has begun to annoy me in the recent years not only due to her terrible programs but her poor posture as well, it looks like she always leans forward and looks straight up. My neck begins aching just watching her and so she falls as well.

Lipnitskaya is who I'd ideally have at #2 as her I do find very enjoyable in nearly every way when she's on her game. However, she's a big question mark to me.

Tuktamysheva really disappointed me last season and I've just about given up on her. She's fun to watch when she's at her best but she still doesn't have all the qualities I'd expect. She's pretty jump-based and there's not much to enjoy otherwise.

As for Sotnikova, she really has to prove herself again for me to begin thinking of her as a top contender again. Her last season's programs were in my opinion very cringe and her performance was poor as well. She's under risk of getting phased out.

Might as well add Sotskova, who has a chance of doing well and who I like somewhat, but who still lacks so much that it's tough to consider her a contender without some serious, sudden improvement.

So then for others:

I quite dislike Gracie Gold overall, but this might be her chance to shine. As is apparent, I don't think especially highly of anyone but Medvedeva at this point in time. Gold fans should feel confident.

Ashley Wagner is looking good as well even though I've started liking her performances less more recently. It's possible she still has a couple of good years in her, and this is, again, her chance to shine.

As for Mao Asada, I'm expecting her to decline, to be perfectly honest. She's been -okay-, but needs to improve to be a contender in my opinion, and that's not something I'd really expect out of her at that age.

And for a bonus, Zijun Li I actually really like and I wish she could consistently do well. If she ended up being so good she became considered a top 3 skater in the world, I would not mind at all.

So overall, as might be apparent, I've been pretty disappointment at the quality of ladies' figure skating outside of Medvedeva and don't expect this to be an especially strong year. The other top contenders don't really do much for me, which is a sat state of affairs. I'm hoping for Lipnitskaya to bounce back, Radionova to fix her programs and posture and Zijun Li to break through(As if, though...).

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
3. ELENA RADIONOVA

Call me nuts,
No I wont!:agree:

Ill go the unusual way

1 Med
2 Ashley
3 Elena
4 Mao
5 Satoko
6 Liza Tuk
7 Gold
8 Pogo
9 Hongo
10 Edmunds

winky97

Medalist
I know what I want and hope to happen, but not confident enough to predict. Too tough!

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
With these things, you go big or go home... I'll probably do both :laugh:

1. Anna - why not? :biggrin: she improved a lot last season, and I want the fun of the girl people only remembered for her falls to kick everyone's behind
2. Wakaba - I'm surprised she wasn't mentioned so far. The JSF likes her a lot, and I think they'd be willing to push her above Satoko (if they should or not). She might also go the high risk high reward route... If she gets the 3A, she could do some real damage.
3. Mao - hopefully healthier than last season... Then she could get a lot better results too
4. Elena - because her main problems last season were her programs... And now girls working with Shae Lynn :love:
5. Evgenia - because puberty, pressure, and I like to be contrary :biggrin:
6. Satoko
7. Ashley
8. Gracie
9. Julia
10. Rika

(No, I'm not completely taking this seriously ;) )

TheCzar

On the Ice
It comes as a big bag of LOLs whenever someone says Mao Asada needs to 'prove herself' to go up in the rankings. It's like saying Venus Williams needs to go to bootcamp so she can compete with the up and comers. These girls can only DREAM of the career Mao has had/is having. However If we are playing this game, she is around the 5th-7th position depending on her current status and politics. However if we have The Ice to gauge her, even with a 2A easy SP she is top 5 easy.

I agree with Max and his bamboozle analysis of Wagner-gate. Its true. Ashley's skating is textbook smoke and mirrors. She hides her inadequacies well because you believe what you see on her face. That being said, she is currently the most dependable US lady with clout.

1. Pogorilaya- preferential choice. I am more impressed with her rally at Worlds than anything or of anyone...which brings me to...
2. Medvedeva- she's a wunderbaby who leaves me cold. It's a meh from me, but I won't deny her impact. We'll see how she fares.
3. Miyahara
4. Wagner/Radionova
5. Gold- so near, yet so far...
6. Asada- because she's apparently just skating to collect pension cheques.
7. Nagasu
8. Honda
9. Li/Hongo
10. Tursynbaeva/Honda/Higuchi- those three, unlike the Russian babies, come with a complete set of skills. The difference being, finesse.

Layback11

Record Breaker
It comes as a big bag of LOLs whenever someone says Mao Asada needs to 'prove herself' to go up in the rankings. It's like saying Venus Williams needs to go to bootcamp so she can compete with the up and comers. These girls can only DREAM of the career Mao has had/is having. However If we are playing this game, she is around the 5th-7th position depending on her current status and politics. However if we have The Ice to gauge her, even with a 2A easy SP she is top 5 easy.

I agree with Max and his bamboozle analysis of Wagner-gate. Its true. Ashley's skating is textbook smoke and mirrors. She hides her inadequacies well because you believe what you see on her face. That being said, she is currently the most dependable US lady with clout.

1. Pogorilaya- preferential choice. I am more impressed with her rally at Worlds than anything or of anyone...which brings me to...
2. Medvedeva- she's a wunderbaby who leaves me cold. It's a meh from me, but I won't deny her impact. We'll see how she fares.
3. Miyahara
4. Wagner/Radionova
5. Gold- so near, yet so far...
6. Asada- because she's apparently just skating to collect pension cheques.
7. Nagasu
8. Honda
9. Li/Hongo
10. Tursynbaeva/Honda/Higuchi- those three, unlike the Russian babies, come with a complete set of skills. The difference being, finesse.
Marin isn't age-eligible yet and she's competing junior again.

Last edited: