2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gracie and the Shibs-yes amongst multiple other teams, but Nathan not so much anymore. ;)

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
well considering challengers have entry deadlines... (ACI is August 18).. i guess the fed assigns spots based on something else???? and of course, in september, it's a bit late to make major moves if skaters are going to us classic or autumn classic... meh...

ahhh. Now I understand reasoning of Jrs and Srs on Thurs Aug 17 and Fri Aug 18 for Thornhill.....

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
for the records, i am planning to do the lifting... so i better stay with chiddy ;) could probably handle scott.. but poje... ouch... my back... plus sarah would hisssssssssssss

That's right, you can't pull the wool over these eyes. I'm always watching.

*finds Police CD, puts "Every Breath You Take" on continuous loop*

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The most logical thing for Marina to do would be to hire us as her ghostwriters.

I think I feel a song coming on...

"It's time to put on make up. It's time to dress up right. It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight. Why do we always come here, ...I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, to have to watch the show..." ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Joseph Phan won the Junior Men SP at the Quebec Summer Championships / Championnats québécois d'été with a vibrant performance :luv17: (the password is joseph): https://vimeo.com/229222938

TGee

Record Breaker
I like the start and Charlie's, Justin Trudeau haircut ;)

I agree...

And I also agree with the Instagram commentator who said that it's a change, but it suits them very well.....

Frankly, I haven't felt that their programs since the "In Your Eyes" free as Juniors, had really hit the mark in terms of a best fit for them in creative approach. That program just said 'watch us, watch us' in a way one rarely sees at the Junior level.

But something in this gif has at least the same power, if not a whole lot more...it's intense, but it's them....as they are now...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I admit I'm a little anxious about Piper&Paul's SD (Paul doesn't strike me as Mr. Snakehips), but at the same time I'm confident that they'll come up with two creative, coherent and in-character programs, like last season.

:laugh: at 'Mr Snakehips' phrase :)

personally - after seeing Paul being so much into character for the last few seasons, especially last one in Tango FS where he was Argentinian macho all right - I have no worries over Paul and Latin SD. This is a rare example of a Ice Dance duo who is incredibly clever with their team about music and convention chosen in line with their way of movement and expression aesthetic. Their programs are very original, out of streamline and 'daring' to look at, usually not leaving anyone indifferent. With Latin, Paul really does not have to 'shake hips', do dramatic 'grab face' gestures or have cleavage out - he will definitely play out the character given by music, choreography, convention used by SD along with Piper, not being on 'cliche' side. What is his absolute forte among Ice Dance men I feel (alongside other Canadian ID Men - Scott and Andrew) is the sensuality and commanding way of leading, yet without being too obvious or 'harsh' in movement. These are the qualities he sure will utilize in SD:)

and I totally see them doing sensual Bachata/Salsa combo...:love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:laugh: at 'Mr Snakehips' phrase :)

personally - after seeing Paul being so much into character for the last few seasons, especially last one in Tango FS where he was Argentinian macho all right - I have no worries over Paul and Latin SD. This is a rare example of a Ice Dance duo who is incredibly clever with their team about music and convention chosen in line with their way of movement and expression aesthetic. Their programs are very original, out of streamline and 'daring' to look at, usually not leaving anyone indifferent. With Latin, Paul really does not have to 'shake hips', do dramatic 'grab face' gestures or have cleavage out - he will definitely play out the character given by music, choreography, convention used by SD along with Piper, not being on 'cliche' side. What is his absolute forte among Ice Dance men I feel (alongside other Canadian ID Men - Scott and Andrew) is the sensuality and commanding way of leading, yet without being too obvious or 'harsh' in movement. These are the qualities he sure will utilize in SD:)

and I totally see them doing sensual Bachata/Salsa combo...:love:

Paul can do it all ;)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Watched Kaetlyn's performances at the 2017 Wild Rose.

SP -> loved it, i think it suits her style, i appreciate the fact she will try to backload her 3Ltz (only a double here). My only question mark is on how the judges will look at this type of programs: personally i would have chosen two classical pieces, because it's safe and always appreciated, and i felt the same way when i watched her Big Spender program at Sochi: beautiful, but not very appropriate for an Olympic competition. However figure skating has changed a lot in the past few years with the introduction of lyrics so at the end it could be just fine.

LP -> bittersweet feelings. The ending is great but i feel that she is not that balletic skater you'd like to see skating this music. Not the most inspired Black Swan in general, but as i said, a classical piece is a safe bet for the Olympics.
Jumps -> great loop (her nemesis), a couple of doubles but not bad overall!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Watched Kaetlyn's performances at the 2017 Wild Rose.

SP -> loved it, i think it suits her style, i appreciate the fact she will try to backload her 3Ltz (only a double here). My only question mark is on how the judges will look at this type of programs: personally i would have chosen two classical pieces, because it's safe and always appreciated, and i felt the same way when i watched her Big Spender program at Sochi: beautiful, but not very appropriate for an Olympic competition. However figure skating has changed a lot in the past few years with the introduction of lyrics so at the end it could be just fine.

LP -> bittersweet feelings. The ending is great but i feel that she is not that balletic skater you'd like to see skating this music. Not the most inspired Black Swan in general, but as i said, a classical piece is a safe bet for the Olympics.
Jumps -> great loop (her nemesis), a couple of doubles but not bad overall!

thanks for sharing your impressions

i think that kaetlyn won't suffer from her program choices at this point in her career... she is seen as a podium contender now that she's the world silver medalist... so I don't think that her jazzy program will hurt her... also, keep in mind that it is still very conservative : it's just a jazzy version of summertime... men do a lot of jazzy programs. It's not like she is skating to death metal :)

re the LP. I think it will improve a lot but I don't expect to see balletic moves here. Yes it is Tchaikovsky but there are so many ways one can skate to classical music... even ballet music. The last thing I want Kaetlyn to do is to try to ballet it up... she references the black swan with her costume (boobwings) and that's enough for me. And yes... she did a couple doubles but she landed 5 of them!!!! that early in the season, i think she's in good shape. I agree with you that the loop was great!

CuriousQuip

Rinkside
We went to the So You Think You Can Judge event tonight at the Scarboro Skating Club. All of the teams who skated there were looking very strong, there were some novice and junior teams there as well who looked very promising.

Piper and Paul didn't perform their free dance, but they did skate an "exhibition" which looked an awful lot like a short dance to Gopher Mambo. They were looking very strong (and with great Latin expression - I wouldn't be too worried about Paul's hips!).

Very excited to see what they and the rest of the SSC dancers can do this season!

TGee

Record Breaker

Very excited to see what they and the rest of the SSC dancers can do this season!

Welcome to GS CuriousQuip, and to the Canadian thread on the Edge...:yahoo:

Love your alias, and we look forward to your dropping in....

nimi

Medalist
Piper and Paul didn't perform their free dance, but they did skate an "exhibition" which looked an awful lot like a short dance to Gopher Mambo. They were looking very strong (and with great Latin expression - I wouldn't be too worried about Paul's hips!).
Yay! Thanks for the info. (Also, phew!) :dance3:

CuriousQuip

Rinkside
CuriousQuip that was indeed their SD. Whose program did you enjoy the most? I was melting at those baby dancers in the beginning. :luv17:

I suspected as much, but I couldn't understand a word the announcer was saying over the PA!

Loved Piper and Paul of course, and there's nothing I love more than watching little baby ice dancers doing pattern dances! I also really enjoyed Kuzmich and Sinicyn's programs and Roman - haven't had the chance to see him in person before, and he's got a great presence. The other adorable team was the pre-novice couple skating to Star Wars, who were also too cute!

Also thanks for the welcomes all; I've been a lurker here for a long long time, and I'm ready to now emerge from the shadows I guess!