2017 CS Finlandia Pairs SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Pairs SP

Kittosuni

Medalist
Great program by S/K but the elements are still not there. Even the lift looks labored. Great SS.

P/J good elements but zero performance aspect.

I/M cute and elements are OK.

A/R ok elements and just o/k program.

DM/G i just find them rough. Ok elements.

I think the placements are right and surprisingly the judging is OK.

jcmerman

Rinkside
I always fall for it! I always think that by some chance the American Pairs team(s) will come out and skate clean and place decently. But Nooooooo, USA pairs teams always come out and give us mistake filled mediocre performances. So over it!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Great program by P/J! :clap: Strong start to the season. :agree:

I'm liking S/K's SP too a lot, but can we talk about the two +1's/two +2's on S/K SBS 3T's when there was an obvious touch down from him?! Like, come on judges. You obviously saw the twist error, so what's with ignoring the hand down?! That shouldn't have gotten +GOE.

Really liked I/M's SP too, but the -1's on I/M's 3T< were too generous too.

Some shady judging already.

nimi

Medalist
I'm liking S/K's SP too a lot, but can we talk about the two +1's/two +2's on S/K SBS 3T's when there was an obvious touch down from him?! Like, come on judges. You obviously saw the twist error, so what's with ignoring the hand down?! That shouldn't have gotten +GOE.
I should check but I think that in the slomo replay it looked like his hand didn't touch the ice, so technically no hand down. Still, not a good landing from Klimov and I agree with you about +2s being ridiculous.
Judging... :rolleye:

skatemouse

On the Ice
I always fall for it! I always think that by some chance the American Pairs team(s) will come out and skate clean and place decently. But Nooooooo, USA pairs teams always come out and give us mistake filled mediocre performances. So over it!

UM A little too much drama lol. First no one here was amazingly clean. It is still early. Most of the US teams peak late except D/F who normally peak early. A lot like some of the other teams here. It will be ok. Also the Knereims beat S/K before and have placed well and so have D/F and some other teams normally. So take a breath it will be ok. When the US teams mess up the judges are very harsh (no gifts) were as other (cough cough) teams can do obvious mess ups and get +'s?? Interesting judging today really? Look forward to more skating and take it for what it is and enjoy pairs. Hope everyone does their bests in the FS!!!

skatemouse

On the Ice
I love the international branch of Mozer Team! Well done, guys!
I really like her but for S/K to put out a twist like that? criminal for a senior team (I understand he is healing but the mistakes are still present and not his fault the coach) and throws on the wall? Shows weakness so does anyone who does a twist on the wall. With other issues from Italians and C/L earlier? S/K are mature and that counts for something but second? S/K if you watch there is an ease though that shows the length of time they have been together and the strength in their skating skills that is nice to watch but you can't depend on that (Well here they could). They don't seem to like each other much though. It reminds me of watching a married couple that has been married 50 years and all that goes with that. I half expected her to slap him in that program. I thought the Canadian's were very strong here. In emotion and skating, maturity and command over edges more than Italians. China is strong and I like this team but they still seem thrown together which is why the emotion to each other just may not be there. It is all about trust. I still think single jumps and spins should be out of pairs. The pair moves are too big or should be. I hate to see a team trick and fake a throw by making it small or cheat a pair move to focus on a single move. It is what got our American team of S/B and Americans had some issue again pairs is hard. Respect that S/B are doing an actual twist, and throw. With that force it is hard to learn to land takes time, years sometimes. C/L tend to go lightly and small this team skates bigger pair elements which means you will fall sometimes. If she was doing it by herself it would be small and landed, so RESPECT to them for not taking the easy way out. Pair elements and skating is hard!!It is not for the good single skater and faint of heart alone that is to be sure! SO focus on one or the other. The other team just need to keep training. It is an exiting discipline to watch though so understand the high emotion but no one perfect. The top three I'd have China, Canada, Russia. In that order. The other Russian, Italian team were close but so much black. Whom ever said that was right. Well pairs is fun to watch anyway. Probably different to watch in person and I know judging is complicated. Sorry for long post.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't agree.
Their performance is perfect.
I don't know if it was perfect but to say there was "zero performance" is just absurd. They really stayed true to the tango character (esp. her) and there were so many great little details.

snd

On the Ice
PENG AND JIN WERE SO AMAZING I JUST CAN'T. there. i said it. they should absolutely be china's no 2 pair. that performance was SO crisp and they synchronized all their steps and gestures so perfectly - fantastic. they were so in character and skated with such great abandon in terms of music. wow.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
My thoughts on the top four:
1. P/J
I like the program and they are evenly matched and look great as a pair. Both are very diligent performers / dancers. Their unison and lines are very good, not even considering that they are only skating together for a little over a year. They look as if they were already skating together for years. So good that China has three pair spots at the Olympics!
2. S/K
I never liked them less and I'm not sure why. Maybe because I watched I/M and P/J before I watched them. I mean, yes, both have great skating skills and are very good single skaters, but is this pair skating? They only look at each other if it's totally unavoidable. The choreography only highlights the missing harmony between them. This is a huge disappointment.
3. DM/G
They hit the levels and that's quite impressive. Their program isn't really exciting, but it's nice enough and 3rd after the SP must feel like a little victory to them.
4. I/M
Horrible music selection ... and I think the judges didn't like it either. A change is needed asap! But Lubov looks very fit and that's good to see. The Canadians really get their ladies into good shape. I approve.

snd

On the Ice
i liked i/m's music, though. never seen anyone else skate to it. but i can see why it would be difficult to swallow as skating music for some people... i liked the program the best after p/j and believe they should be ahead of s/k.

s/k have awful music and the throw was small and the twist is as terrible as ever. their high scores always puzzle me.

and thanks for that word, psusanne - UNISON. yes, that's what p/j are so, so great at. cannot be beat.

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
S\K: Great Olympic program, a chic dress, uhh...handsome! Step sequence fantastically cool, Ksenia is so temperamental in her.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
i liked i/m's music, though. never seen anyone else skate to it. but i can see why it would be difficult to swallow as skating music for some people... i liked the program the best after p/j and believe they should be ahead of s/k.

s/k have awful music and the throw was small and the twist is as terrible as ever. their high scores always puzzle me.

and thanks for that word, psusanne - UNISON. yes, that's what p/j are so, so great at. cannot be beat.
I/M's music is too much 80's remix (is this an 80's remix?) for my taste. I would give them something totally fresh or something classical.
And I actually like S/K's music and I like the choreography ... just not for them. But yes, unison is the important thing - for everyone who thinks that S/K are oh so great, just look at that twist entry ... I mean, it's nice that she can lift her leg so high but he obviously can't ... or should we be glad that they are able to do their crossovers in unison? And that step sequence has no harmony between them. Yes, there are parts were they are doing the same thing, then they are mirroring and that's done quite well, but it just doesn't feel right. Something is off, always. If you watch P/J and S/K back to back you see what I mean, the harmony is missing. The feeling that this is exactly as it's supposed to be. And then the forced smiles at the end ... why are they still doing this? I doesn't even look as if they honestly hate each other (could be a good thing for them, a little honest hate could make all the difference and spice up their performance) ... they just don't care. The partner is just a tool.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I/M's music is too much 80's remix (is this an 80's remix?) for my taste. I would give them something totally fresh or something classical.
And I actually like S/K's music and I like the choreography ... just not for them. But yes, unison is the important thing - for everyone who thinks that S/K are oh so great, just look at that twist entry ... I mean, it's nice that she can lift her leg so high but he obviously can't ... or should we be glad that they are able to do their crossovers in unison? And that step sequence has no harmony between them. Yes, there are parts were they are doing the same thing, then they are mirroring and that's done quite well, but it just doesn't feel right. Something is off, always. If you watch P/J and S/K back to back you see what I mean, the harmony is missing. The feeling that this is exactly as it's supposed to be. And then the forced smiles at the end ... why are they still doing this? I doesn't even look as if they honestly hate each other (could be a good thing for them, a little honest hate could make all the difference and spice up their performance) ... they just don't care. The partner is just a tool.

This is all true and they are very very beatable this year. What is going on with their coach? The teams are just ok either bad music or no connection or very very small throws or they skate clean but everything is small or connection or music? something is off. No idea what.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
OMG I love P/J so much! What a performance! So much in character all the way. And those huge perfect elements! I just wonder how come the margin is so small between P/J and S/K. That throw, I was worried that she might land on his toe. And the performance/interpretation? I saw hate me more instead of kiss me more, not even hate me more, more like do I know you, leave me alone. K/ S should not even be in second, a couple of pairs could be robbed. Too bad Deena had that bad fall. Ouch. Good luck everybody tomorrow and hopefully better judging

crankyintheAM

On the Ice
It's great to see Ksenia and Fedor again, but they're so far from their best. :( The fierceness is there, but not much else.

Peng/Jin were lovely, such a charming SP! :love:

Alba

Record Breaker
Mozer is training the Italians now?

They been training with Mozer for years now. Not full time but mostly. Maybe now they are full time, idk.
Haven't seen the performances yet. I think I've got some catching up to do.

slider11

Medalist

I agree. I think Luba and Dylan's music is unique and has alot of potential with it's bluesy, emotiional theme. It will take awhile for some to engage with the music but thank goodness it is not some overused piece. I do think they are judged harshly by judges. Their lifts are SO good and still get +1s or even 0s. And their last throw jump did have a two foot landing but it was rotated -did it really deserve -3 goe's? I think they deserved third.