2024 World Junior Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2024 World Junior Championships Women's Free Skate

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
Difficult to be Jia in this spot.You go on the ice knowing you are 2nd and nothing you can do about it.Anyway she still deliver her best šŸ˜­.Mao handle pressure very well and did what she has to do.Nice to see Rena with clean skate.Really good program from her.

Let's see how they grow up tru next years,but looks like Jia need at least 3A in her pool.

Overall good show to watch.Waiting for next year.

fehervari

On the Ice
Yes -- by not attending at all. China has some strong jr skaters -- it's sad for them to have fewer JGP opportunities next season.
in the championship, the junior girls and even the novices beat the seniors to death (of course, a little exaggeration). but covid, fed (and politics) put them at a big disadvantage. very sad

fehervari

On the Ice
Ikura Kushida is quite tall for a Japanese singles skater (164 cm). It might be hard to find a partner for her should she indeed want to do ice dance, unfortunately.
the bigger problem is that she is not very expressive for ice dance. I can imagine her better in pairs. if Bruno Marcotte finds her a nice tall Canadian boy...

Last edited:

yyzskater

On the Ice
And JGP spots:
2 entries in 7 events: JPN, KOR, FIN
1 entry in 7 events*: SUI, ITA, USA
1 entry in 6 events: FRA, CAN, EST, GEO
1 entry in 5 events: THA, CZE, HUN, ISR, TPE, POL
1 entry in 4 events: GER, AUS, SWE, SLO, SVK, KGZ
1 entry in 3 events: AUT, LAT, NED, KAZ, BUL, CRO, UKR, RSA, LTU, HKG, AZE, TUR, NOR, MEX, PHI, GBR

*Can receive additional spots if countries placed ahead of them don't use their allocated spots.

Countries hosting JGPs can enter up to 3 skaters as host spots, all other countries not mentioned can enter one skater in two events.
So if a country has earned 6 spots but they also have a JGP in their country (eg.France), do they get the other 6 JGP PLUS 3 spots at the French JGP (6 + 3 =9)? Or do they get 5 JGP, which includes France but they get 2 additional spots for their JGP (6 + 2 = 8)?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
USA still has 2 spots next year? I thought their placements added to 28.

Jia's score could likely medal at senior worlds. One day, she'll get the gold...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
USA still has 2 spots next year? I thought their placements added to 28.
Skaters who qualified for the Free but placed 16th and below get 16 points, skaters who didn't qualify for the Free 18.
As Josephine placed 20th, she gets 16 points, plus Sherry's 8 points = 24 points.

Apart from that, even if Josephine's points were directly corresponding to her placement, 28 is the upper limit for two spots, so the USA would be retaining their spots either way.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Itā€™s actually three in row, Barton. I really wish Jin would have won in 2022. If I recall, there was only a half point between her and Levito. I think that was her highest score yet she looked so disappointed. Sheā€™s tired of the silver at this point.
Its not so bad 3 silvers in a row if she gets 4 silvers in a row, she will be the only woman with that accomplishment, there are a couple who have had 3. And she is senior eligible the Olympic year and Mao is not. So its not so bad.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And Brandenburg continues the forming fine tradition of Swiss skating. Just lovely!

I also had a feeling that Rozanov tried to recreate the magic of Lipnitskaya deliberately with Godina's FS.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, the podium still went to JK, but with luck, we'll see more and stronger challenge next year as the competition strengthened. As predicted, junior women are now more interesting to watch than seniors. Hope they will open 3A in short for them to help a little bit with the scores that are too samey

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I was able to watch it live at the arena last night despite not having been following the sport for years so was privileged to observe everything with fresh eyes. Sadly judging biases are still very much prevalent contrary to what is being performed on the day. Still hugely favours the rich feds in particular Japan and the US.

Mao's program was incomplete, a jumping drill with pleasant background music that thoroughly lacked in choreography, interpretation, ice coverage, everything is just small, small jumps, and her movements were mostly incomplete and hurried. (I believe I was the first poster who recommended Karl Jenkins music in this forum all these years ago because they make a natural alternative to the warhorses that complements figure skating well, with a good dosage of the built-in emotional factor, but I do not mean the skaters don't have to do any work) The only interpretation I saw from her was halfway mark when she was required to jump to a highlight part of the music. Her jumps were tiny and favored by physical size, doubt she will be able to keep the jumps once grows. Eteri strategy still wins the sport.

She covers half the coverage relative to what the Jia covered, skated small in presence, and I am frankly astonished by her PCS mark that should be in the early 50s for a junior program ranked as high or close to the silver. There should be a good 7 or 8 points in PCS to separate them. If the last Olympics said balanced complete performance can triumph over quad jumping drills, then I don't understand why they blatantly skew the result by undermark the silver and overmark the gold medalist. There was muted silence when her scores were announced in the rink. The huge mark separating them is puzzling.

Jia was by far the most impressive even during warm-up among her group, posture/carriage, air positions, flow, skating skills, ice coverage, jump stability, don't think she even missed one triple during warm-up. She did not skate junior relative to the field, but to me personally, perhaps a bit too close to Yuna Kim's style by imitation that wouldn't qualify her as a senior me. It is not a bad thing though.. she should have won the Gold or at least no more than 1-2 points separate them due to the quality of everything she does.

I quite like the Swiss skater, her form was excellent but did not have the tech to back it up, needs experience, power, and stability. The Queen program was a riot, pure joy in a Junior way, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited: