2017 Japan Open | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 Japan Open

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I did not like Karenina. Zhenya's previous "hear - not hear" and "9/11" were complete performances to a theme. Here I saw just the attempt to convey emotions and although I neglected the last season's lamenting about "the same layout" here it kind of stands out. With her masterpiece of a SP and a solid skating to the familiar layout, I am sure, it will be enough to keep winning everything. But I would expect more of her than this safe bet. Unless the strategy is to win OGM and retire. Then who cares? Just play it safe. Or may be the program is just not ready.

Zagitova was not at her best. Or the picture was out of sync with the music as she did not hit the notes the way she usually does. This immediately detracts from the DQ program making it just a TES fest.

Mai was more fluid than she usually is. I would say she is no worse now in terms of smoothness than Marin. The program is one piece of a bore though. And her FS score getting 15 extra points since Canada. Yes she doubled the Salchov there but still.

Mirai has finally the chance to become US leading lady. Frankly speaking, everyone else I saw skating this season (Ashley excluded) are struggling big time. Big respect for her resilience and not giving up on 3A.

Marin, sigh. She is young, yes. But I think she is losing it rather than getting better and better. May be just early in season to make any conclusions.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
That's fine, but then why is no one criticizing Karen Chen for literally mimicking STABBING HERSELF in her program? Or did I see that wrong :unsure:

If you're Number 1 and dominating World Champion you will be held to a different standard. Those at the top will always be scrutinized much more harshly.

madison

Record Breaker
I did not like Karenina. Zhenya's previous "hear - not hear" and "9/11" were complete performances to a theme. Here I saw just the attempt to convey emotions and although I neglected the last season's lamenting about "the same layout" here it kind of stands out. With her masterpiece of a SP and a solid skating to the familiar layout, I am sure, it will be enough to keep winning everything. But I would expect more of her than this safe bet. Unless the strategy is to win OGM and retire. Then who cares? Just play it safe. Or may be the program is just not ready.

Zagitova was not at her best. Or the picture was out of sync with the music as she did not hit the notes the way she usually does. This immediately detracts from the DQ program making it just a TES fest.

Mai was more fluid than she usually is. I would say she is no worse now in terms of smoothness as Marin. The program is one piece of a bore though. And her FS score getting 15 extra points since Canada. Yes she doubled the Salchov there but still.

Mirai has finally the chance to become US leading lady. Frankly speaking, everyone else I saw skating this season (Ashley excluded) are struggling big time. Big respect for her resilience and not giving up on 3A.

Marin, sigh. She is young, yes. But I think she is losing it rather than getting better and better. May be just early in season to make any conclusions.

I think Evgenia said that she wants to compete as much as possible, I don't think she is taking into the consideration the retirement scenario after Olympics.
I don't know if it's because of me of because of her, but I cannot enjoy her skate as much as I'd try, and I am really trying :(. It's just she isn't emoting anything (in my perspective), the fact that she has that overused mimic it doesn't add anything good to the program. I do ask myself if she really feels the music and understands it :mad:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
As I suspected, Nathan trying to cram in 5 quads in this program has bogged it down a bit, he looks slower, and the program became labored and less interesting. However, this is early days, once he gets used to it, the program may pick up energy and smoothness again. I like the potential...it could be great.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I really like the change of music into the first spin and the step sequence in Nathan's FS. It's so effective.

Barb

Record Breaker
I love Nathan´s program, the last part especially is a beauty :love:, too bad the mistakes :eek:hwell:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Mai was more fluid than she usually is. I would say she is no worse now in terms of smoothness as Marin. The program is one piece of a bore though. And her FS score getting 15 extra points since Canada. Yes she doubled the Salchov there but still.

she also had an edge call on her flip there, her TES from worlds is 74.4(and 76 at WTT i know that was in Japan but still :biggrin:), and that was before moving her 3F into 2nd half, so i dont think her TES here is unreasonable, yes her PCS was little high but i think she made a lot of progress both TES and PCS wise and this competition is in Japan :p

pearly

Record Breaker
That's fine, but then why is no one criticizing Karen Chen for literally mimicking STABBING HERSELF in her program? Or did I see that wrong :unsure:

A lot of Carmen programs over the years had that. I don't see how it's different from finger pistols in various Bond or other themed programs. Peng/Jin competing at Finlandia this week had at least two points in their Assassin's Tango short program where she "pointed a gun" at him.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Shoma did the 'why' hands. --Don't pick up bad habits from Marin! :laugh:
On the plus side, he kept the smoothness of the program throughout. -Perhaps an overabundance of crossovers though.
Everyone still needs to bake their LP's in the oven some more. -As is normal at this time of year. :thumbsup:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Oh Shoma, no need to apologize, it's just a fake competition. You'll be fine.