2017 Japan Open | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 Japan Open

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wonder what Mirai can do to improve her scores to another 10 or even 20 points to be competitive against the very top? Her PCS scores - what can she improve there?

rosy14

Final Flight
So why do we think Evgenia chose her Karenina program for this? Show value (if any - I haven't seen it)? Audience preference? To see how it compares to her backloaded programs in competition?

Apparently the "old" program didn't go well with Fed.

Lipea

Final Flight
:cry: why Evgenia???? I really don't like this program and music. :sad21:

Well, maybe you should read or watch, or at least learn the plot of Anna Karenina. It is one of the greatest novels and people know it well.
There is one bad cut, but aside from it the music itself is fabulous (saying it as a musician) relatively to other music used in the FS world; great choice for Olympic season.

She will lose a point or two in TES but will gain more in PCS. This program, once polished can easily get her mostly 10-s in components.

I applaud to Evgenia and her team for taking this difficult decision possibly offending Averbukh but having a true champion long program.

skatenewbie

Medalist
why JSF only push Mai PCS here? Honda got 64 which is quite okay, i think Mai shouldnt get anything above 66/67

madison

Record Breaker
Well, maybe you should read or watch, or at least learn the plot of Anna Karenina. It is one of the greatest novels and people know it well.
There is one bad cut, but aside from it the music itself is fabulous (saying it as a musician) relatively to other music used in the FS world; great choice for Olympic season
I applaud to Evgenia and her team for taking this difficult decision possibly offending Averbukh but having a true champion long program.

If we know the story and enjoy it, it's not necessary to love Medvedeva's skate and performance.... What's the connection? Cause I don't see it..
I can understand that it gave born to some nationalistic feelings in Russian, but other than that...

Lipea

Final Flight
why JSF only push Mai PCS here? Honda got 64 which is quite okay, i think Mai shouldnt get anything above 66/67

Because Mai had a great skate and because by the results of the last season she is #1 in Japan now, which, in the big Federations, is always rewarded more.

Lipea

Final Flight
If we know the story and enjoy it, it's not necessary to love Medvedeva's skate and performance.... What's the connection? Cause I don't see it..
I can understand that it gave born to some nationalistic feelings in Russian, but other than that...

There is no nationalistic feelings about this story or program.
The music is quite gorgeous and dramatic. The program is very well balanced and gives Evgenia space to be artistic. The story is emotionally powerful and she plays it out.
What else do you not see?

madison

Record Breaker
There is no nationalistic feelings about this story or program.
The music is quite gorgeous and dramatic. The program is very well balanced and gives Evgenia space to be artistic. The story is emotionally powerful and she plays it out.
What else do you not see?

I think it is... being one of the greatest story written by a Russian author.... and let me guess, you are Russian and you like per se everything is related to the story... When it comes to Medvedeva, I don't even want to elaborate here again, but her interpretation always strikes me as being very superficial :(. Let me tell you something, it's not even a big difference between Leftovers program and Anna Karenina program because her way of skating is the same in every program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The problem with Anna Karenina for Evgenia is, that with a program to Anna Karenina, the watcher always connects a female skater to the main character, Anna Karenina. Kitty who is 18, is the other main female character and perhaps a better choice to interpret. Anna Karenina is a married mother, who has an affair. Her life ends tragically. Kitty is a young girl of 18 and could be the main focus, but I don't think Kitty is who Evgenia portrays here.

With the Leftovers that problem is not there. Evgenia is obviously not trying to be Kevin or Nora. I prefer that, that she's not trying to play a character, just interprets Max Richter's absolutely stunning soundtrack, the music itself. Not so much acting. I've rarely watched a show that has such a fitting soundtrack and I thought that this was a worthy program, with potential to get better and better during the season. Yes, it is similar to the soft piano pieces she had done before, but she does that for a reason. That airy lyrical style suits her better than the heaviness of Anna Karenina. But they obviously decided against it. In the end I don't think her chances or her being 'unbeatable' change with her choice of program at all. She will win the Olympics. She would have with The Leftovers, too.

madison

Record Breaker
The problem with Anna Karenina for Evgenia is, that with a program to Anna Karenina, the watcher always connects a female skater to the main character, Anna Karenina. Kitty who is 18, is the other main female character and perhaps a better choice to interpret. Anna Karenina is a married mother, who has an affair. Her life ends tragically. Kitty is a young girl of 18 and could be the main focus, but I don't think Kitty is who Evgenia portrays here.

With the Leftovers that problem is not there. Evgenia is obviously not trying to be Kevin or Nora. I prefer that, that she's not trying to play a character, just interprets Max Richter's absolutely stunning soundtrack, the music itself. Not so much acting. I've rarely watched a show that has such a fitting soundtrack and I thought that this was a worthy program, with potential to get better and better during the season. Yes, it is similar to the soft piano pieces she had done before, but she does that for a reason. That airy lyrical style suits her better than the heaviness of Anna Karenina. But they obviously decided against it. In the end I don't think her chances or her being 'unbeatable' change with her choice of program at all. She will win the Olympics. She would have with The Leftovers, too.

The ice is slippery, anything can happen.
Not even in ice dance, which is considered more predictable, we don't know who will win, much less in the others disciplines.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The ice is slippery, anything can happen.
Not even in ice dance, which is considered more predictable, we don't know who will win, much less in the others disciplines.

I still think she wins it. But, yeah, ice is slippery, but what I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter if Evgenia skates to Anna Karenina, The Leftovers, her old 9/11 program or even Sailor Moon. The program doesn't matter.

Erin S

Rinkside
I absolutely love the novel Anna Karenina and, while I didn't love this particular movie adaptation, I loved the soundtrack. I think it was a good choice over the Leftovers. That said I still don't love how literal all of Evgenia's programs are. Do we really need the actual sound of the train engine at the end? And all of the startled, hands over face business--it still just leaves me a bit cold. But with the technical content this program is, of course, OGM worthy. (I also love her dress, which looks gorgeous on her and perfect for the music, though I could do without the gloves).

madison

Record Breaker
I still think she wins it. But, yeah, ice is slippery, but what I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter if Evgenia skates to Anna Karenina, The Leftovers, her old 9/11 program or even Sailor Moon. The program doesn't matter.
Exactly, at this moment, it doesn't matter cause the judges give her anyway huge and I'd say undeserved scores. Unless if live she is much better. And she has the same movements and mimic all the time, in all her programs, regardless the theme or the rhythm.
It should matter and I hope the judges will wake up and reconsider her scores..... I mean besides the fact that she doesn't have anything special in a positive way, I find some moments when the program really looks hilarious.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Evgenia’s score is inflated as usual, but I like this new program way more than the previous one. But like some others said, I liked the exhibition version of it more though. As a competitive program, it’s not that much better or different than her other programs.

Mai’s performance impressed me. She moved the 3F to the bonus which upped her TES range, but more importantly, her presentation has improved! 70 for PCS is still way too high but this program has great potential. Change that step sequence cut though.

Alina seemed to be off sync with the music today, so her jumps weren’t as exciting. But I need to give her props for always consistently delivering this layout cleanly.

Very happy for Mirai! She’s actually the second skater now to have rotated 8 triples in a single program. The 3A still needs work, but I can see her challenginf for US #1.

Solid performance from Marin, and nice improvisation for that final jumping pass. Even though she wasn’t clean, Marin is looking good and prepared for the season. I can’t wait to see her SP!

I think the tech panel was too harsh on Karen. 2 of the 5 under-rotations she received weren’t necessary. Karen herself didn’t look too happy with how the scores turned out.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I absolutely love the novel Anna Karenina and, while I didn't love this particular movie adaptation, I loved the soundtrack. I think it was a good choice over the Leftovers. That said I still don't love how literal all of Evgenia's programs are. Do we really need the actual sound of the train engine at the end?

She raised her hand, so she is about to stop the train! She is Wonder Woman! Not Anna Karenina!

Ok seriously, finally s program that MAKES SENSE (to me). Less sound effects, more music. Less facial expressions and mime, more skating. Less weird acting and leg swing, more choreography. Thank you Evgenia for making this smart decision.

P.S. my cousins were watching with me and they asked me, "why is she wearing so much make-up?" and the other asked "why is she doing with her face? (her facial expression she means). I was like, "she is the World Champion girls *shrug*" "What???"

Anyway not bashing her or anything, just want to share some opinions from someone else. I really like this program.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team Europe
Javier Fernandez (189.47) Man of La Mancha
Evgenia Medvedeva (152.08) Anna Karenina
Alina Zagitova (145.28) Don Quixote
Alexei Bychenko (128.52) Bolero
Total: 615.35

Team Japan
Shoma Uno (175.45) Turandot/Nessun Dorma
Nobunari Oda (158.24) Tristan und Isolde
Mai Mihara (147.83) Gabriel's Oboe
Marin Honda (133.41) Turandot
Total: 614.93

Team North America
Nathan Chen (178.46) Mao's Last Dancer/The Rite of Spring
Jeremy Abbott (143.48) My Way
Mirai Nagasu (134.69) Miss Saigon
Karen Chen (116.32) Carmen
Total: 572.95

I've been keeping records for years here if interested.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Mirai - YES YES YES!! Almost perfect and I am happy with the score!! Beautiful dress too!!

Karen - Too bad about the mistakes and the URs. But she will come back strong I am sure.

Alina - A pleasant program demonstrating of course her jumping ability. Nice spring and nice flow. Love the 3Lz+3Lo. But the first part is still flat.

Mai - I love the steps sequence at the end where she really captured the climax of the music. The lyrical first part of the program suits her smooth skating very well. I would though like to see more variety in that part, with a change of tempo and dynamics etc.

Marin - Confident and strong skate, except the Flip, but overall it was a strong program. Her skating speed could show more variety though. I like the new ending choreography too!