2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

TMC

Record Breaker
I can't say for sure - but I will be amazed if they don't sell these at the arena in Helsinki, as well as online.

Finland "generally" seem to be very good at making the most of merchandising and franchising opportunities... I recall Angry Birds at Finlandia Trophy... along with the usual and always-busy Luhta sports gear etc merchandise stands...

Yes - there are tons of merchandise stands at FT, there are bound to be many at Worlds, too. I remember buying a cute beanie hat to toss on the ice for Samantha Cesario one year :)

grace75

Rinkside
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask: I'll be in Helsinki for Worlds and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on accomodations. Any suggestion about hostels or other not too expensive solutions? Is anybody looking for someone to share apartments or anything like that? I already have an all-round ticket and I plan to be in Helsinki for the whole week.
Thanks!

baterka

Spectator
Hello :)
So I was thinking of going to Worlds but I must confess, it´s my first time trying to buy a ticket from a site like that and I´m a bit confused. Are the single event tickets available already? Thank you :biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker
Hello :)
So I was thinking of going to Worlds but I must confess, it´s my first time trying to buy a ticket from a site like that and I´m a bit confused. Are the single event tickets available already? Thank you :biggrin:

The single event tickets will be available in October. I'm not sure about the exact date, though.

aynia

On the Ice
I can't say for sure - but I will be amazed if they don't sell these at the arena in Helsinki, as well as online.

Finland "generally" seem to be very good at making the most of merchandising and franchising opportunities... I recall Angry Birds at Finlandia Trophy... along with the usual and always-busy Luhta sports gear etc merchandise stands...

Yes - there are tons of merchandise stands at FT, there are bound to be many at Worlds, too. I remember buying a cute beanie hat to toss on the ice for Samantha Cesario one year :)

Thanks, sounds great - now I only have to worry about spending too much money. ;)

TMC

Record Breaker
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask: I'll be in Helsinki for Worlds and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on accomodations. Any suggestion about hostels or other not too expensive solutions? Is anybody looking for someone to share apartments or anything like that? I already have an all-round ticket and I plan to be in Helsinki for the whole week.
Thanks!

Have you considered airbnb?

We usually stay at hotels in Helsinki - the cheapest are around 65-70 euros per night. I had a look at Trivago and it looks like hostels are not much cheaper than that... My husband just found an airbnb in Helsinki for 15 euros per night :laugh:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
In my experience hostels in Helsinki are only a lot cheaper if you don't take your own room but only a bed in the dorm. And even with your own room, communal bathrooms are still a given. So that bit of extra money for a cheap hotel at least buys you your own bathroom. (A gazillion years ago we stayed at the hostel Diana Park a few times. It's tiny but clean and the staff was always friendly.)

Renting an apartment might also be something you could look into. I also checked airbnb a couple of months back, and there were several affordable places in the city center.

Only stay at the GLO hotel if you're on your own or with someone you know very well. Their bathroom walls are see-through. I'm not kidding :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
In my experience hostels in Helsinki are only a lot cheaper if you don't take your own room but only a bed in the dorm. And even with your own room, communal bathrooms are still a given. So that bit of extra money for a cheap hotel at least buys you your own bathroom. (A gazillion years ago we stayed at the hostel Diana Park a few times. It's tiny but clean and the staff was always friendly.)

Renting an apartment might also be something you could look into. I also checked airbnb a couple of months back, and there were several affordable places in the city center.

Only stay at the GLO hotel if you're on your own or with someone you know very well. Their bathroom walls are see-through. I'm not kidding :laugh:

Whaaaaaattt that's insane!!!

We've only stayed there in the luxury suite (it pays to have friends who work there ;) ), and that room thankfully has regular old walls between the bedroom and bathroom.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Actually it was pretty hilarious :laugh: I suppose they consider this to be "artistic interior design" or something else I don't understand. I stayed there with a friend last year. We bought a cheap travel package from some online agency. And when we checked out the room, I suddenly found myself standing in the shower and waving to her in the bedroom :laugh2: Good thing we've known each other for 10+ years and have been through worse than a see-through shower.

TMC

Record Breaker
Actually it was pretty hilarious :laugh: I suppose they consider this to be "artistic interior design" or something else I don't understand. I stayed there with a friend last year. We bought a cheap travel package from some online agency. And when we checked out the room, I suddenly found myself standing in the shower and waving to her in the bedroom :laugh2: Good thing we've known each other for 10+ years and have been through worse than a see-through shower.

Why would anybody ever think that that would be a good idea? Baffling :laugh:

grace75

Rinkside
Have you considered airbnb?

Thank you TMC, I'll have a look at that. I was hoping to find someone to share an apartment or hostel room with, it might be fun to share the experience with other fans because I'll be travelling from Italy alone. But any other suggestion is more than welcome: I've never been to Helsinki, so I'm a bit unsure about it!

Only stay at the GLO hotel if you're on your own or with someone you know very well. Their bathroom walls are see-through.

Thanks to Pamigena as well!

In your opinion is it possible that someone will start threads about accomodation sharing?

gwenyct

Spectator
Hey I'm thinking exactly the same! :hap36: I'll be going from UK by myself, will be there for the entire week too. It'll be lovely to team up for accommodation and share the experience!

Rissa

Record Breaker
Why would anybody ever think that that would be a good idea? Baffling :laugh:

From what a friend told me, Finns are the opposite of prudish and nakedness doesn't faze them much. Some hostels, for example, have swimming-pool style showers without any curtains or cubicules, and they're sometimes mixed-sex. :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
From what a friend told me, Finns are the opposite of prudish and nakedness doesn't faze them much. Some hostels, for example, have swimming-pool style showers without any curtains or cubicules, and they're sometimes mixed-sex. :laugh:

That is very true! But it's different to have a shower or a sauna (usually the two go together) with somebody else if that somebody else is fully dressed and not actually in the sauna/shower with you :laugh: I'll quite happily go to sauna in the buff with any of my friends of both sexes, but I'd feel self-conscious if I was in the shower and my friend was there sitting on the bed in their jeans and could just turn their head and see me through a glass wall, scrubbing away :laugh2:

grace75

Rinkside
Hey I'm thinking exactly the same! :hap36: I'll be going from UK by myself, will be there for the entire week too. It'll be lovely to team up for accommodation and share the experience!

Good! Let's keep in touch and see if anyone else will be interested!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The single event tickets will be available in October. I'm not sure about the exact date, though.

I emailed about all-event seating and the person told me single even tickets will be on sale the second week of October.

supsu

On the Ice
I emailed about all-event seating and the person told me single even tickets will be on sale the second week of October.

Hey, does anyone have an idea how much the single event tickets will be.. Say.. Balcony seats.. Cause i'm really having a hard time deciding if i should wait or get the full event. I'm taking mom with me and i really dont have a ton of money. Mostly i'd love to see men's both programs and dance free.

Can i maybe sell the events I'm not interested in or are they for the same people only..?

How far is the balcony from the ice..? Is it even worth it to get those tickets or maybe just go with quality over quantity... Terrible to make these decisions now that i finally could go..! :laugh:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Hey, does anyone have an idea how much the single event tickets will be.. Say.. Balcony seats.. Cause i'm really having a hard time deciding if i should wait or get the full event. I'm taking mom with me and i really dont have a ton of money. Mostly i'd love to see men's both programs and dance free.

Can i maybe sell the events I'm not interested in or are they for the same people only..?

How far is the balcony from the ice..? Is it even worth it to get those tickets or maybe just go with quality over quantity... Terrible to make these decisions now that i finally could go..! :laugh:

Balcony (at least in Boston) was not that bad. I got a good view and it was perfectly tolerable. Those individual tickets were probably an average of $50-60 per segment per discipline for Balcony in Boston.

In my opinion (for whatever it's worth as Boston was my first Worlds), I'd pay the extra for non-Balcony/"lower bowl" seats. My friend and I were able to sneak down for pretty good seats for the free dance, ladies SP, and had tickets for pairs SP and the view is just so much better and you really get a sense of speed and the intricacies of the skating. I'm also inclined to the all-event tickets because you get to go to the practices.

If you bought the all-event I'm sure you could find someone to purchase the tickets for the events you don't want. You can keep track of the seating map to see the availability. Second week of October isn't that far away and there was plenty of Ice Level 1 and 2 seats left.

Others who have more experiences can probably give better advice than I. Lol

supsu

On the Ice
Balcony (at least in Boston) was not that bad. I got a good view and it was perfectly tolerable. Those individual tickets were probably an average of $50-60 per segment per discipline for Balcony in Boston.

In my opinion (for whatever it's worth as Boston was my first Worlds), I'd pay the extra for non-Balcony/"lower bowl" seats. My friend and I were able to sneak down for pretty good seats for the free dance, ladies SP, and had tickets for pairs SP and the view is just so much better and you really get a sense of speed and the intricacies of the skating. I'm also inclined to the all-event tickets because you get to go to the practices.

If you bought the all-event I'm sure you could find someone to purchase the tickets for the events you don't want. You can keep track of the seating map to see the availability. Second week of October isn't that far away and there was plenty of Ice Level 1 and 2 seats left.

Others who have more experiences can probably give better advice than I. Lol

Awesome, thanks for the reply! The practices would be great for me personally but mom probably wouldnt be so interested. She's turning 70 and i want to get this as a surprise for her.. And at the same time get to go too, how sneaky of me lol.. But i guess i should randomly ask her what she values more.

Pamigena

Record Breaker

The cheapest all-event tickets are for "Balcony 2", which doesn't include practices. I think the first three rows of the balcony are "Balcony 1", those tickets do include practices.

I don't think that it should be a problem to sell parts of an all-event ticket. We have All-Event-9 tickets and got 17 separate tickets (8 for practices, 8 for competitions, 1 for the gala). On each ticket there's a price (in our case 46,50€), but that's only the total price divided by 17 (on each practice ticket it also says 46,50€, but good luck selling one of those for that price..... on second thought, you may even find someone crazy enough to pay it :p)