Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Junior ladies:
Trusova
Kostornaya
Shcherbakova
Tarusina
Sinitsyna :pray: just let her get JGPs!!
Tarakanova :pray: let her get JGPs too -- take Gubanova out

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Lol, we are 4 months from the GPF and this thread is already 10 pages long. This may be one of the most anticipated GPFs just due to how open the field is in many disciplines.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Lol, we are 4 months from the GPF and this thread is already 10 pages long. This may be one of the most anticipated GPFs just due to how open the field is in many disciplines.

Maybe because there are some sensitive subjects too.

NataFoxxy

On the Ice
Hmm. I'm not very familiar with POTO, so I can't say anything about the songs. I think the subtlety is in the message, not the actual steps themselves. Rather than Zhenya's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, for example, or Kaori's Amelie (I like both of these programs) it's less in-your-face and I think it's designed to show that part of her personality, the quieter girl with the fierce personality once you get to know her. And I do think that the chaos fits POTO and the theme. IMO, I'd rather have less guidance and more room for interpretation (in any program) because I'm more likely to like it if there's multiple ways to interpret it.

Here is music for Alina's short program. someone made it clean, remove all unnecessary noise and it sounds very good to me.
All videos from the show are not good quality, probably this is the reason people could not hear it very well and are not happy with the choose of songs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_iW8SUBU-0A

Note: Thanks for the video to someone from the followers on the website.
sorry, i do not remember name.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I think (i hope) it icludes juniors too. So:
Men
Gogolev
Rukhin
Danielian
Shun Sato
Mitsuki sumoto
Murashov

Completely agree, except maybe instead of Murashov, Phan.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate America is done and dusted, and we've got a whole bunch of Challenger event results to assess people's status, as well as various withdrawals, etc.

Men
- Nathan did what he needed to do at Skate America. Vincent, who in my initial predictions I thought could take the silver here easily enough, is definitely out of the running -- both because of his ordinal and because his UR problems are not likely to improve in the near future.
- Of the other podium finishers at SA, Brezina will have a tough road to replicate his success at his next event, just because it's a much tougher field. Voronov could maybe do it with a podium finish at NHK, depending on how the other competitions shake down (if he got silver, especially).

Ladies
- Satoko and Kaori, likewise, did what they needed to do at Skate America. And especially in Satoko's case, we've got an answer to whether she can compete under the new technical rules.
- Evgenia's ACI results show she's not as formidable as before, at least for the moment, so there'll be more in the way of genuine competition at her two events. Though Skate Canada International, which initially had an incredibly stacked ladies field, has been hard-hit by withdrawals and skaters with underperforming Challenger results -- Wakaba, especially, went from being my presumptive silver medalist there to a big question mark; if she was in top shape I'd probably be predicting her for gold at SCI right now.

Pairs
- This discipline feels so depleted that we're likely to see a mostly first-timer Grand Prix Final.

Ice dance
- I would say that the luckiest teams in this Grand Prix series are Stepanova/Bukin and Guignard/Fabbri.
- For the former, the retirement of Cappellini/Lanotte moved them into the top six for Grand Prix assignments; and then the non-participation of Weaver/Poje moved Chock/Bates into the top three, leading to Stepanova/Bukin and Chock/Bates getting assigned to the same two events; then Chock/Bates withdrew from Finland due to recovery issues, turning what would have been a dogfight into an easy gold medal for S/B; and even if they do show up at Rostelecom, C/B are unlikely to be in top form, and can't contend for a Finals berth regardless even if they did win gold. Basically everything has worked out to give S/B two gold medals.
- Guignard/Fabbri, meanwhile, were the third-ranked team assigned to Skate America, but Zahorski/Guerreiro had injury issues over the summer that had them not in top shape for the competition, allowing G/B to take silver (they might well have done that anyway, especially with them now being Italy's #1 team, but it was clearly easier this way). And the aforementioned Chock/Bates withdrawal from Finland puts them on course to another silver medal when they would otherwise have done no better than bronze.
- So current finalists are on pace to be Papadakis/Cizeron, Hubbell/Donohue, Stepanova/Bukin, Guignard/Fabbri, and two others.
- Gilles/Poirier and Sinitsina/Katsalapov are doing the same two events; the track record would suggest G/P have the edge (S/K have a higher total score this season, but if there's anything watching the Junior Grand Prix this year should teach you, it's how much variance there is in ice dance scoring under the new system), and the field at SCI, at least, would surely be tilted in their favour, while France is more neutral ground.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't think there's any luck involved regarding S&B and G&F. I think Russia knew C&B's status was questionable just like the rest of us. And Guignard & Fabbri had to defeat a team that is top 6 among those returning to competition this season. They were able to do it because they were ready and have always had the ability to defeat Z&G. G&F actually had a tough draw initially. Now they have a pretty fair one.

G&P and S&K did, indeed, have bad luck getting the same two events. (It's interesting that Canada selected S&K actually). These teams have a tough draw. This happens a lot when you have a team that isn't seeded. It is entirely possible that one of these teams could miss the final and still be top 6 among the teams competing on the GP this season. They do both have a shot of making the GPF at the same time, though, if they split events.