2018 Broadmoor Open | Golden Skate

2018 Broadmoor Open

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Aren't they testing the new GOE and SoV scale here?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since it’s going on, might as well have this thread.

Plus I did not expect to hear Donna Summer in a skating program. https://youtu.be/qg1AfDYSt00

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

The skater looks like she's 14. Not only is she skating to "Hot stuff, baby, I need some hot stuff baby tonight", she does a little hip thrust in the program. Oh please.:bang:

We have a winner for the 2018-19 "Big Spender/Fever for Juniors" inappropriate award:scard7:

I'm not a huge fan of Journey, but at least I don't hate them like I hate Kansas or Queen. With Andrew T., I'm more concerned about the bombast of that song. He is an expressive performer who doesn't need bombast to carry him through. And I hate to say this about my boy, but I saw no step sequences or choreo that charmed me like Tango de Roxanne. Fingers crossed for his LP:hap85:

HolySalchow

Spectator
Is anybody there that can report on what is happening in Novice through Senior? Nothing available online anywhere....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh no, oh no, oh no.

The skater looks like she's 14. Not only is she skating to "Hot stuff, baby, I need some hot stuff baby tonight", she does a little hip thrust in the program. Oh please.:bang:

We have a winner for the 2018-19 "Big Spender/Fever for Juniors" inappropriate award:scard7:

I'm not a huge fan of Journey, but at least I don't hate them like I hate Kansas or Queen. With Andrew T., I'm more concerned about the bombast of that song. He is an expressive performer who doesn't need bombast to carry him through. And I hate to say this about my boy, but I saw no step sequences or choreo that charmed me like Tango de Roxanne. Fingers crossed for his LP:hap85:

I could see him doing a Journey ex if that's what he really likes, sure....but this song for an SP, for Andrew, makes no sense to me. He has great skating skills and artistry - why give him this dreck that was overplayed 30 years ago at every prom and wedding reception?

I'm a fan of Donna Summer, but again the choice of song for this particular skater is just so...:scratch2: Can it really be that hard for choreographers to find something appropriate?

haribobo

On the Ice
Thanks to some heroes on twitter, we have Senior Men SP standings!

1. Camden Pulkinen 77.87
2. Emmanuel Savary 76.77
3. Andrew Torgashev 71.18
4. Jimmy Ma 66.41
5. Dustin Sheriff-Clayton 59.74
6. Tim Dolensky 57.34
7. Jordan Moeller 56.51
8. Ben Jalovick 51.24

For Senior Ladies SP, I only know Alysa Liu 71.00 and Ting Cui 56.32....

SENIOR LADIES FINAL
1. Alysa Liu- 198.25 (FS 127.25)
2. Hanna Harrell- 169.17 (FS 117.86)
3. Ashley Lin- 166.84 (FS 110.65)
4. Sierra Venetta- 147.87 (FS 93.92)
5. Livvy Shilling 146.90
6. Ting Cui - 145.76 (FS 89.44)

Spinning

On the Ice
I'm not a huge fan of Journey, but at least I don't hate them like I hate Kansas or Queen. With Andrew T., I'm more concerned about the bombast of that song. He is an expressive performer who doesn't need bombast to carry him through.

Inspired by Michael Weiss???
https://youtu.be/-NPxVaYYyZM

Ooh...at least it will be a hit with Asian fans. EXO did a cover of Open Arm a few years back.

Haleth

On the Ice
Anyone know the final standings for the seniors? I see the SP scores above and checked the web and FB page, but ?? Note, I'm not asking about the other events (Aerial or PFT), just the more conventional competition, since it looks like the FS was yesterday.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
But this Donna Summer programme sure is a lot of fun. Yay! I really don't care that the lyrics are inappropriate. Come on guys, this is disco at its best. I used to dance on that when I was 14-15, so why can't a young skater skate to it? It's a bit like the inappropriateness of Candyman, a programme I did not like at all, but with regard to it being appropriate or not: no I won't say it but I have a word for it. Let these youngsters just skate to what they like.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But this Donna Summer programme sure is a lot of fun. Yay! I really don't care that the lyrics are inappropriate. Come on guys, this is disco at its best. I used to dance on that when I was 14-15, so why can't a young skater skate to it? It's a bit like the inappropriateness of Candyman, a programme I did not like at all, but with regard to it being appropriate or not: no I won't say it but I have a word for it. Let these youngsters just skate to what they like.

I am afraid that I think that you dancing with your friends at age 14 is different than this young lady performing a routine for all to see.

And I remember when I was a tad older than 14, when Donna Summer was cool. At least in the states, we all thought her tunes were so great *precisely* because the lyrics were so sexual, because we were teens and we thought sex was cool and of course only teens know that sex is cool:laugh:, and what better way to show all those old fogies how hip, cool and sensual we teenagers were. I need hot stuff, hot love tonight, gotta some have some love tonight, ooh, ooh.....

If Ashley Wagner, Karen Chen, or anyone else “of age” wants to skate to it, bless. But not a junior. There are lots of other fun disco hits that aren’t “Hot Stuff”. And since I know them all, if they want to ask me, I’ll give them some choices:biggrin:

ETA: that is to say, I agree that disco is fun music, and could be a good SP. I am afraid I just can’t with this song.

figureskater2515

Spectator
I am afraid that I think that you dancing with your friends at age 14 is different than this young lady performing a routine for all to see.

And I remember when I was a tad older than 14, when Donna Summer was cool. At least in the states, we all thought her tunes were so great *precisely* because the lyrics were so sexual, because we were teens and we thought sex was cool and of course only teens know that sex is cool:laugh:, and what better way to show all those old fogies how hip, cool and sensual we teenagers were. I need hot stuff, hot love tonight, gotta some have some love tonight, ooh, ooh.....

If Ashley Wagner, Karen Chen, or anyone else “of age” wants to skate to it, bless. But not a junior. There are lots of other fun disco hits that aren’t “Hot Stuff”. And since I know them all, if they want to ask me, I’ll give them some choices:biggrin:

ETA: that is to say, I agree that disco is fun music, and could be a good SP. I am afraid I just can’t with this song.

lol I'm a junior skater, got any good songs I could skate to? 😂

I agree that Ashley Wagner could skate to a "mature" song... but not Karen Chen. She can't really act when it comes to skating. 🤷

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
lol I'm a junior skater, got any good songs I could skate to? 😂

I agree that Ashley Wagner could skate to a "mature" song... but not Karen Chen. She can't really act when it comes to skating. 🤷

Since I have no idea what would work for skating, despite my compendious lived knowledge of 70s disco, I would be reluctant to truly recommend any song to anyone.:biggrin:

However, for a junior skater, here's a tune from the later disco era that is one of my favorite jams, totally infectious and dance-able, and the lyrics could not be better:

Mama Used to Say: Junior Giscombe

Mama used to say, take your time young man
Mama used to say, don't you rush to get old,
Mama used to say, take it in your stride,
Mama used to say, live your life

:dance3: :yes2:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

gkelly

Record Breaker
There were three different competitions:

Broadmoor Open, which is a normal summer competition with normal programs; the only difference being that skaters had the option to enter short program-only instead of a combined event (or both), as is common at summer competitions

Peggy Fleming Trophy, an artistic competition with its own rules. Some ofthe entrants used their regular competition short programs, or adapted versions thereof, but they were judged according to the PFT rules, not the standard ISU SP and freeskate rules.

Aerial Challenge, a jumps-only competition with its own rules

I understand xeyra's videos posted in this thread to be from the standard short program competitions.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am super interested how Jimmy Ma's SP looked like, with 'Mi Gente' and stuff;)