2018 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs FS

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Everyone on medal stand lucked out. Not sure the weight things hold when so many top pairs missing. (serious question) Does Olympic placement or pairs hold more [points?? than 4CC year of Olympic games?) then depending on teams going to Worlds. I am thinking 4cc this year will be noted pairs there and not there just wondering how Olympic pair counted?

In terms of ISU ranking points at 4CC, first place is worth 840 points, second place is 756 points, and third place is 680 points.

At the Winter Games (and the World Championships), first place is worth 1200, second place is 1080, and third place is 972 points.

But really, ranking points not matter too much apart from getting better draws at ISU events and "as a criteria for the skaters selection for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating".

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Poor France, but really those were atrocious...they would have been better off giving those chocolate coins to the medallists, they look nice from a distance and are also edible!

Maybe in place of those ridiculous stars, they should’ve given out Gabriella Papadakis jewellery.

:devil: :laugh:

*runs like a bat out of hell out of this thread*

Disclaimer: I sincerely thought the Skate Canada jewellery fiasco involving Tessa was blown way out of proportion. So I say the above in jest, as I do for almost everything else I post here, for the most part.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
skatemouse,

If you're asking about ranking points, Euros and 4CC are equal, Olympics and Worlds are equal, and Euros/4CC give less points than Worlds/Olympics. However, you can only get points from ONE of those 4 competitions, whichever gives the highest points for the skater/team.

The "can only count one competition" is why it's good for a federations to switch up the teams if they have nearly-equal competitors (like Spain dance now, Canadian pairs for the last 4 years). Sending one team to Euros/4CC and a different one to Worlds allows BOTH teams to earn ranking points.

Nana, I have learned something from this post. I did not know that points could be earned from only one competition.

I assumed that if a skater won 4CC/Euros, then also won World's, they'd be racking up a huge number of ranking points.

I made this point on a men's thread... but when the dust settles from this season, I need to learn a lot more about the ranking system, because I clearly do not understand it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to all medalists! So happy for Tarah and Danny. Tarah really had to fight back from her surgery / injury and concussion. That grin of his -- wish he could bottle that sunshine. I especially love the lift where he does the spread eagle. Yikes! Jim Peterson cracks me up. They haven't even stepped off the ice and he's critiquing their performance. Look forward to seeing them at Worlds.

Danny's smile is megawatts, and so joyful. I walked in to my first pairs practice at 2016 Nationals, and there he was, just lighting up the place with his smile. He was the one who looked so happy to be there. That is quite a gift ... to him and everyone!:rock:

skatemouse

On the Ice
skatemouse,

If you're asking about ranking points, Euros and 4CC are equal, Olympics and Worlds are equal, and Euros/4CC give less points than Worlds/Olympics. However, you can only get points from ONE of those 4 competitions, whichever gives the highest points for the skater/team.

The "can only count one competition" is why it's good for a federations to switch up the teams if they have nearly-equal competitors (like Spain dance now, Canadian pairs for the last 4 years). Sending one team to Euros/4CC and a different one to Worlds allows BOTH teams to earn ranking points.

That's interesting. So if the Chinese or Canadians skate at only World's and Olympics and do well I am guessing those points will out rank the American's here at 4CC? Maybe that is why we do not see the top 3 Chinese, top 3 Canadians or the top American team here? It was strange they were not here?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congratulations to all the medalists. Regardless of who was there and who faltered, the medalists rose to the occasion and deserve their placements.

auser

Record Breaker
The skating world really needs more Poison, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper and Van Halen.

Ohhh, you were talking about the OTHER heavy meDals, not meTals..

I’ll see myself out. :rofl:
Sweet dreams if you nap :). Did you ever get anything to eat? I mean I know it was late when you brought it up, but even honeymooners must get hungry sometime :laugh:?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's interesting. So if the Chinese or Canadians skate at only World's and Olympics and do well I am guessing those points will out rank the American's here at 4CC? Maybe that is why we do not see the top 3 Chinese, top 3 Canadians or the top American team here? It was strange they were not here?

I think the reason we didn't see the top Americans or Canadians (and the top Chinese pairs) here is the relative closeness to the Olympic Games, and the body shock of changing timezones in a short period of time.

Last year, nearly every major competitor was at 4CCs. Part of that was because it was like a dress rehearsal in the Olympic arena, but part of it is because the championship is growing in prestige.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

A first at worlds is better (more points) than a first at 4CC. But I have seen teams go to both Euros and worlds and earn more points at Euros because their placement was enough higher. You can look up the points awarded for various competitions. I am too tired to do it tonight. Google is your friend.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Danny's smile is megawatts, and so joyful. I walked in to my first pairs practice at 2016 Nationals, and there he was, just :luv17: lighting up the place with his smile. He was the one who looked so happy to be there. That is quite a gift ... to him and everyone!:rock:

We talked with him for quite a while at the FOFS breakfast. Tarah wasn't there yet cos she was still putting on her makeup, according to Danny. :luv17: He's from the Chicago area...They've had a tough go of things for a while. I hope their troubles are behind them and they can now thrive!

Spinning

On the Ice
Congratulations to Tarah and Danny, Ashley and Tim, and Tae and Ju!

I thought the medal ceremony was p-r-e-t-t-y cool, with two American flags beside a North Korean flag. Coexist!:points: And athletes lead the way. :bow:

With all these crazy news going around, this result is pretty refreshing. Humanity might be saved by figure skating after all! Lol

Love all 3 pairs so Congrats!

skatemouse

On the Ice
I think the reason we didn't see the top Americans or Canadians (and the top Chinese pairs) here is the relative closeness to the Olympic Games, and the body shock of changing timezones in a short period of time.

Last year, nearly every major competitor was at 4CCs. Part of that was because it was like a dress rehearsal in the Olympic arena, but part of it is because the championship is growing in prestige.

Oh interesting I would have thought they wanted to come. Makes sense though. It is growing to be a strong competition it is why I was looking forward like Europeans to seeing those top pairs here. I did not realize thank you for explaining.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sweet dreams if you nap :). Did you ever get anything to eat? I mean I know it was late when you brought it up, but even honeymooners must get hungry sometime :laugh:?

A pack of crackers and some juice, that’s about it. My dog is safe. :laugh:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nana, I have learned something from this post. I did not know that points could be earned from only one competition.

I assumed that if a skater won 4CC/Euros, then also won World's, they'd be racking up a huge number of ranking points.

I made this point on a men's thread... but when the dust settles from this season, I need to learn a lot more about the ranking system, because I clearly do not understand it.

Look at the actual standings . There's only one column for "world championships or Olympics", and none for Europeans/4CC. I'm pretty sure Europeans/4CC points go in that same slot.

The other thing that happens is that not all the values given are added up to calculate the total points. I know only the top 4 GP/GPF numbers are used, even though there are 6 shown in all. There's also a limit on the number of "Selected International Competitions" that count.

gold12345

Medalist

Yup, 4CC is just about fully attended in every year except the Olympic year, where it becomes barren because of its proximity to the Olys. Unless you're from a similar time zone, there's no way you're competing both 4CC and the Olys. It wouldn't be smart to do so. Last season's 4CC was easily one of the strongest 4CC pair fields ever assembled. Sometimes one of the top Chinese pairs will miss 4CC for whatever reason, but 2017 had everyone there. It was very comparable to Europeans in terms of strength, if not better. This year's 4CC was the opposite in terms of strength of field, and it didn't help that the one higher ranked pair entered, Lubov & Dylan, have sort of been in disarray this season. But both 2017 & 2018 4CC get the same amount of World Standings points, because the system doesn't account at all for strength of field.

I don't think the World Standing points are that important, but this is another example of why those standings are sometimes skewed inaccurately. The pairs here in this extremely depleted field are getting the same points as Europeans, even though this season's Europeans looked very similar to how any normal Europeans would. If only the points system could take into consideration depth of field, but that of course would be more complicated than the simple setup they have now.

figuristka

Medalist
Sad I/M did not have a better year. I read the post he had a concussion. I hadn't known this and something is wrong with his hand. They also missed a lift at nationals. If healthy they would have been the class of the field here but hope with D/R retiring next season they get healthy and make worlds again next year.

Nice to see medalists so happy must be thrilling to get the chance to medal.