2018 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the end the Ladies competition was a bit of a letdown in that the top 3 for the Olympics was never really in doubt. Funny how going into Worlds Pogo looked like almost a sure thing for the Olympic team and perhaps the number 2 Russian girl behind only Med but that one competition changed everything and none of the other girls but Maria stepped up. With Pogo out and Rad and Tuk slipping and Polina not quite soup yet it was becoming clearer during the season that those three were just heads and shoulders above the rest of the girls.

russianfan

Match Penalty
In the end the Ladies competition was a bit of a letdown in that the top 3 for the Olympics was never really in doubt. Funny how going into Worlds Pogo looked like almost a sure thing for the Olympic team and perhaps the number 2 Russian girl behind only Med but that one competition changed everything and none of the other girls but Maria stepped up. With Pogo out and Rad and Tuk slipping and Polina not quite soup yet it was becoming clearer during the season that those three were just heads and shoulders above the rest of the girls.

consistency matters

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Pogo? That season, the nationals was just about the only competition where she delivered. She really wasnt looking like a clear #2 at all. Everyone was happy for her good performance but it always was a risk. That even is why her worlds spot was debated whether they actually would choose her to go.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feel free to read the quotes and recap from the ladies event and discuss here. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pogo? That season, the nationals was just about the only competition where she delivered. She really wasnt looking like a clear #2 at all. Everyone was happy for her good performance but it always was a risk. That even is why her worlds spot was debated whether they actually would choose her to go.

I meant going into Worlds this year not last year.

torinowak

Spectator
The hip transformation - it has nothing to do with things like muscles on the thighs - or even weight. I don't see it for Zagitova.

The only 17yo girl she imo looks like is medvedeva

Yeah If I hadn't known I would've said Med and Zagitova were only like a year apart in age.

torinowak

Spectator

Anna is in a slump hopefully she'll be able to regain her confidence and consistency. Not saying I want this to happen but is it possible for russia to sweep ladies podium at worlds?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Anna is in a slump hopefully she'll be able to regain her confidence and consistency. Not saying I want this to happen but is it possible for russia to sweep ladies podium at worlds?
This year it is possible but ultimately unlikely. Skater #3 is not quite strong enough.

Alifyre

On the Ice

Last season? Pogo got a European silver and a GPF bronze that season, but didn't even podium at nationals. Even with the bomb at worlds, it was hardly an "only delivered at nationals" situation. The season before however yes, her GPs were indeed a disaster and she was lucky to have made the teams for the second half of the season, although it really did end up paying off for the fed in terms of medals.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Last season? Pogo got a European silver and a GPF bronze that season, but didn't even podium at nationals. Even with the bomb at worlds, it was hardly an "only delivered at nationals" situation. The season before however yes, her GPs were indeed a disaster and she was lucky to have made the teams for the second half of the season, although it really did end up paying off for the fed in terms of medals.
Aah, sorry. I mixed these seasons up, didn't I? In that case all I have is the point that she is inconsistent. But I'm very sorry.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Aah, sorry. I mixed these seasons up, didn't I? In that case all I have is the point that she is inconsistent. But I'm very sorry.

No worries! I love Pogo but I don't deny she's not exactly consistent. I'm personally hoping this injury will be a wakeup call that she get a coaching change and get her nerves together so she can fight for her spot among all these amazing up and coming juniors.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
No worries! I love Pogo but I don't deny she's not exactly consistent. I'm personally hoping this injury will be a wakeup call that she get a coaching change and get her nerves together so she can fight for her spot among all these amazing up and coming juniors.
I hope so too. She has this fire and passion that is fantastic to watch when she is on. She really gives it her all and leaves nothing on the table. Actually, the inconsistency is also a part of her charm in a way.

Lipea

Final Flight

There was no a season for Pogo where she delivered only at the Nationals. For her the pattern was that she either would start great, or end great. That season you are talking about she got a medal at the Worlds. In all her active years she had more clean competitions than failed competitions, and especially in the last season everything she became one of the most consistent skaters until the Worlds. It is just her falls - they are so bad that one remembers them the most.

Lipea

Final Flight

If only Pogo didn't fail those Worlds THAT bad. And it is clear there was no point for her to prepare to Olympic season because even if she were as consistent and clean as Maria the Fed would not put her in the team because it lost trust in her. She let them believe that even if she is very clean and consistent for many competitions straight she could fail miserably at the most important one. Plus she knew there had to be at least one of Buianova's students because CSKA has a status of #1 sport club of Russia. The other two were clearly Eteri's. It must have felt terribly demotivating and it makes it clear why she started training so late and, consequently, got injured, if she did at all.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
hm, shouldnt be. O should be pronounced as A always unless the syllable is emphasized.

So you tell me that none of the syllables in Kostornaya are emphasized or that the last one is here so it stays either way (would be strange) - I've heard Kas-tar-na-ya. I am well aware of the fact concerning Russian "o" changing into "a" but I still find it perplexing sometimes.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So you tell me that none of the syllables in Kostornaya are emphasized or that the last one is here so it stays either way (would be strange) - I've heard Kas-tar-na-ya. I am well aware of the fact concerning Russian "o" changing into "a" but I still find it perplexing sometimes.

I’m mostly perplexed because when I first started posting in her fan fest I was told that I should spell her first name as Alyona but no one seems to be doing it but me :laugh:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I believe it is kostorNAya so the o arent emphasized, hence pronounced as a.

I’m mostly perplexed because when I first started posting in her fan fest I was told that I should spell her first name as Alyona but no one seems to be doing it but me :laugh:
I think in the fan fest people know it is pronounced as alyona so typing it as alena is faster, elsewhere that could cause misinformation though.