2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

brightphoton

Medalist
How is this a backhanded compliment to Nathan???? He literally was saying "When I first saw Nathan I thought he was going to become incredibly good as a senior competitor, but that I wouldn't have to face him because I would be retired" - ????????????????????????????????????????

I think Adam said he was surprised that Ross was skating for so long, and that Ross would have retired by the time Nathan was a senior

louisa05

Final Flight
I think a lot of people are frustrated because they see Nationals as bogus because they perceive it as the most important qualifying competition. This is the fault of the commentators.

The USFSA makes it clear that it is just one of the three most important qualifying competitions. It's the last of the three which is why the team is announced immediately upon the conclusion. However, that doesn't mean it's the most important one in the series, just because the team is announced then.

It's on the commentators to make this clear so that Nationals doesn't make it seem bogus. They hype it up as the most important one, and the USFSA makes it very clear that this is not the case, both in their actions (the men's team they chose) and in their words (they released the criteria very early on).

NBC's team is pretty clear throughout that the team is not selected based only on Nationals placements. What they fail to do is to explain what the other criteria is. On the broadcast of each FS, they need to put the criteria on the screen and show which skaters have the advantage coming into Nationals based on the selection criteria so fans understand how it may shake out.

But I think it is complicated in terms of public opinion (not here obviously) by the loud angry voices of the every four years fans that show up about this time. In 2014, I had a conversation with someone who was livid over Mirai being left off the team and it turned out she had no idea that there were other competitions besides Nationals, Worlds and the Olympics, had no idea that Mirai had not been skating like she did in 2010 for the last four years (at just Nationals and Worlds because she thought those were the only events) or that Ashley had 2 national titles under her belt.

ks777

Record Breaker
Actually when you look at that, what stands our is how much Vincent is the one who was propped up and pushed into the spot. It's not Adam that is the issue, the real issue is Vincent and I do feel sorry for Ross, in that regard.

yeah Vincent getting higher components score than Hochstein is ridiculous. He still skates like a junior skater.

GGFan

Record Breaker
A lot of us are not claiming that USFS did anything against the rules. We're just processing. We knew about body of work, but it's still different when it's actually applied and the 2nd place finisher at nationals doesn't make it. You have to understand that we've been hearing on TV for decades about how big nationals is and how much pressure is on a skater there. When thinking about body of work I just expected that some 3rd place finishers would be booted. That is not how it turned out. Brave new world . .

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
How is this a backhanded compliment to Nathan???? He literally was saying "When I first saw Nathan I thought he was going to become incredibly good as a senior competitor, but that I wouldn't have to face him because I would be retired" - ????????????????????????????????????????

It’s not directed at Nathan. It's directed at Miner. “He would be retired.”

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It's not the same thing of course, but as an actor, I always want to know if I got the part or not immediately after an audition. You can't function during the wait, and aren't able to be as productive as normally. That's just me of course, but I think that's the same for most other actors.

And I can totally see that, which is why i would love to hear from skaters on this. At the same time I do see the advantage of waiting till the dust settles so everyone can make a more logical and less emotional decision. I think if the decision had been delayed we would be seeing less hostile reaction. I am not a fan of how it played out, but I also can see the logic and think some people's reactions are a bit, shall we say heated. I think some time may have tempered the bitterness, and that might have been a good thing.

ks777

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/950050289234489346

Worlds is same as Olympics, including alternate order.

Jason, Ross and Max are going to 4CC

Alex Krasnozhon, Tomoki Hiwtashi and Camden Pulkinen for Jr. Worlds. Dinh Tran, Andrew Torgashev and Maxim Narmov are alternates (not in any certain order)

Why Max instead of Grant?? Grant finished way ahead of Max Aaron... The USFSA might be the most corrupt federation.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
It’s not directed at Nathan. It's directed at Miner. “He would be retired.”

Adam Rippon: I remember seeing Nathan skate (in 2012) and say, oh damn, well I'll be retired when he's senior. I guess the joke's on me because I'll be skating forever. http://bit.ly/2BmKMki #USChamps18

This is the direct quote. Miner has nothing to do with what Adam was saying.

lavender

Record Breaker
Don't Japan and Russia also have a selection criteria and don't necessarily pick their medalists? I don't see the big deal if US applies the same methodology and go for a team that may result in the highest placements
Yes...this pissed off reaction is the result of years of just using nationals as the only criteria. I for one am glad they changed but it can be awkward.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Adam Rippon: I remember seeing Nathan skate (in 2012) and say, oh damn, well I'll be retired when he's senior. I guess the joke's on me because I'll be skating forever. http://bit.ly/2BmKMki #USChamps18

This is the direct quote. Miner has nothing to do with what Adam was saying.

This game of telephone has made me anxious. Geesh. Poor Adam being badmouthed for something he didn't even mean. Thanks for your efforts in setting the story straight.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
He was talking about himself.

Rippon never seems sincere to me, including in the other “congratulatory” messages he sent Miner last night. And then there was the “coronation” he projected for his nationals performance, and now his harping on his track record. Get over yourself: behave like an Olympian if you want to be one.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Why don't they announce the "pool" of skaters eligible for the Olympic team in advance? :sarcasm:This way, if the Olys were the goal for some skaters, they might not risk their health and funds to train quads for the Nationals.:disapp:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Miner was so robbed. It’s not even funny. Now some guy who never medaled at worlds is claiming to be great? Silly.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Rippon never seems sincere to me, including in the other “congratulatory” messages he sent Miner last night. And then there was the “coronation” he projected for his nationals performance, and now his harping on his track record. Get over yourself: behave like an Olympian if you want to be one.

Sure, it wasn't you who completely misquoted him to try and paint him like a villian because you don't think he deserves an Olympic spot.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Don't Japan and Russia also have a selection criteria and don't necessarily pick their medalists? I don't see the big deal if US applies the same methodology and go for a team that may result in the highest placements

The rule usually applies to 3rd at Japanese Nats. I have never seen 2nd gets bumped while 3rd selected.

USFS just selected whom they wanted to select including alternates. They can add any reasons and excuses later.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's an awkward situation but no....nationals is no longer everything. What would Ross bio look like. Seriously I don't know.

Nationals should be a standalone event and the results the last bullet point on a resume for world/Olympic teams. Making it into an Olympic trial trivializes the reward for being the country's best. It also brings out the worst in many skaters and has been problematic as far back as 1994 when Scott Davis beat Brian Boitano and the whole Nancy/Tonya mess.

gstrain

Rinkside
The American skaters should now be aware that though the Nationals medals are up for grabs, the Olympic team eligibility has been pre-screened and limited before the Olympic season. This is comforting to some and discouraging for others.

Ross and Grant never had a chance.
I'm very disappointed. You have skaters like Ross, Grant and Tim that have spent the last year living the dream that if everything came together right, they could make the Olympic team. This was never the case. I know Tim relocated to another city and new coaches this year, leaving his family and girlfriend behind, for something that could never actually happen.

What's next, committee selection of who advances out of sectionals and regionals instead of how people actually competed head-to-head? US Nationals is the only competition where all the US skaters come together and compete head to-head and where we can judge their current performance level and fitness going into the Olympics. I understand the case for sending someone that is head and shoulders about the field like Nathan, but even then I'm not entirely convinced its the right thing, and that should be the exception and only apply to extremely clear cut cases, not cases like Adam and Ashley.

I hope the press gets ahold of this story and crucifies the USFSA in the court of public opinion.