2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Sure, it wasn't you who completely misquoted him to try and paint him like a villian because you don't think he deserves an Olympic spot.

If you look upthread, I was responding to a post, reply-quoted, bolded the relevant wording, indicated the bolding was mine.....

I didn’t say Rippon doesn’t deserve a spot. I said Rippon should get over himself ASAP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Any news on the World team?

It is the same team as the Olympics. I have to say I do feel "bad" for Ross. I mean Jason has not exactly had a wonderful two seasaons, no quad and had to be bumped on to the team last year and to have a rather ho hum year, with rather so so programs and to place not even fourth or fifth at Nats and to still get first alternate - I can see how Ross might feel slighted but I am sure he will smile through it all.

Jason has always been a bit lucky, maybe because he is a nice guy but nonetheless it is amazing how the body of work has allowed to prop up th elikes of even Max Aaron. Wow. I wonder if Jason had been fourth or fifth what the USFA would have done?

Vincent must be relieved. Adam elated. Nathan resting after doing so well with a cold. Jason also must be somewhat thankful; could have been much worse from barely making the 4cc's team to being first alternate.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Adam Rippon: I remember seeing Nathan skate (in 2012) and say, oh damn, well I'll be retired when he's senior. I guess the joke's on me because I'll be skating forever. http://bit.ly/2BmKMki #USChamps18

This is the direct quote. Miner has nothing to do with what Adam was saying.

Is "I'll be skating forever....." really that much humbler? :sarcasm:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Nationals should be a standalone event and the results the last bullet point on a resume for world/Olympic teams.

That will never happen. USFS and NBC want US Nationals to be one of the most prestigious figure skating events of the year, despite the ever-increasing indications that Nationals doesn't really mean anything.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
With better competitions earlier this season (and last season) Ross, Grant and Tim could have made a better case for themselves making the team.

Had Ross skated this well at Finlandia or Skate America he would have met more criteria.

The lead up to the Olympics is about making the most of multiple opportunities, not just showing up at Nationals.

While it's unfair that Ross doesn't get the Olympics (though he should have gotten a Worlds 1st alternate at least) he didn't help himself by not skating this well until the very last minute.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
If you look upthread, I was responding to a post, reply-quoted, bolded the relevant wording, indicated the bolding was mine.....

I didn’t say Rippon doesn’t deserve a spot. I said Rippon should get over himself ASAP.

Yes, you bolded a sentence and claimed Adam was saying that Ross Miner is old when, in fact, he was saying that he is the old one. When I corrected your wrong interpretation showing you the direct quote of what Adam was saying, instead of recognizing your mistake you proceeded to say that Adam is insincere.

It's okay to dislike a skater, but there's no need to use falsity as a base for your criticism. If you think Adam should get over himself, fine, that's your right and I will even agree that he can come across as cocky. But don't misinterpret things to back up your claims :roll5:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Poor Grant too; he and Caroline tend to get the short end of the stick - wasn't she like f ifth last year and not a grand prix not even skate america. Wow the body of work argument means really the USFA can do a lot of fudging - we have no idea the exact evaluations - sounds somewhat subjective. But yes it really appeared unless they won gold Ross and Grant were already not going to the olympics. It is exciting and maddening how the results at USFA were just a cluster mess.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Poor Grant too; he and Caroline tend to get the short end of the stick - wasn't she like f ifth last year and not a grand prix not even skate america. Wow the body of work argument means really the USFA can do a lot of fudging - we have no idea the exact evaluations - sounds somewhat subjective. But yes it really appeared unless they won gold Ross and Grant were already not going to the olympics. It is exciting and maddening how the results at USFA were just a cluster mess.

The bone they did throw all around—to Caroline last year, too, IIRC—is that an alternate slot gets higher funding for next year. I suppose that’s one reason to go 3 deep on the alternates.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou - PCS Scores During Season

Short Program
Cup of China - 36.57
Internationaux de France - 36.00
Nationals - 42.04

Free Skate
Cup of China - 75.08
Internationaux de France - 69.52
Nationals - 87.34

caseyl23

Rinkside
Does the USFSA not realize that the competitive landscape has changed and that quadless skaters with artistry are at a huge disadvantage?
I feel like this is still a real problem for U.S. men's figure skating. It's getting better with Nathan and Vincent (even with his rotation issues), but outside of them, I still feel like there is this idea of quads versus artistry, when the best men in the world have both artistry/skating skills and several quads in both programs. On that front, I worry U.S. Figure Skating is not sending the right message by picking Adam over someone who did land his quad attempt last night and had a nice program to go with it.

Why was it OK to send Polina Edmunds in 2014 over Mirai but not Ross over Adam? Huh?
And this might be the REALLY hard question to explain moving forward. We all know there's other criteria, we can explain it to others, and they might even understand it, but . . . this is an issue. I remember one poster (Sorry, I can't remember who.) write that no body of work is better than a bad one. Whether we agree with it or not, that seems to be the message being sent.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BBM. Now we’re making catty comments about the age of someone who beat you in competition?

Another example of sneering at a competitor. Rippon sneaked a similar attitude into his congratulations to Miner after the event, under the guise if being congratulatory. A backhanded compliment is not a compliment: it’s nastiness.

Why are we sending this behavior to the Olympics?

USFSA and his coaches should be schooling Rippon from now until the Olympics on how to make sincere compliments—and they should always be on the tip of his tongue and handy—if he’s going to say ANYTHING about a competitor. And if he can’t do that—as is expected sportsmanlike behavior—he shouldn’t say anything at all.

Bratty behavior is a lightning rod internationally for condemning an athlete or a whole team. It is not a good look for TeamUSA.

PS Ross Miner is YOUNGER than Rippon.

Adam was saying that he thought he would be retired by the time Nathan made it to the senior level. What's catty?

#USChamps18[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]#AdamRippon[FONT=&quot] Watched [/FONT]@nathanwchen[FONT=&quot] in the junior ranks and thought he'd be retired by the time he was a senior. Must be the ^^! Looking good [/FONT]@Adaripp[FONT=&quot]![/FONT]

https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/950061723251281920

Last edited:

louisa05

Final Flight
I hope those who watched Nats at the venue wonder "well, what was the competition for?"

It was one component in a published list of criteria for World and Olympic team selection. It determines athlete funding for the 2018-19 season. It influences the selection of GP assignments for the 2018 slate (ISU standings also affect this so accusing only USFSA of controlling this and manipulating it is not really fair). It influences selection of senior B assignments for the 2018 slate. It allows skaters to measure their progress against their teammates. It provides a high pressure competition to help mentally prepare younger athletes for the rigor of international senior level competition and the pressures that come with that.

Nationals has a lot of consequences. And World/Olympic team selection is only part of those. Many athletes come to Nationals knowing they will not medal and come with personal goals to raise their standings from the previous year, to get the competition experience, to improve their funding, to continue to progress up the ladder and make an impression on judges for the future. It isn't all about those few slots on international senior teams or there would be no reason for most of the skaters to bother.