2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yes, Gilles & Poirier would probably only have a shot at the bronze.

Realistically, it may take them another season or two to get in that position. But based on the Skate Canada results, they are now getting the #1 Canadian Dance team bonus since V&M and W&P have left the stage. So that's a good start.

I also just think there are a lot of underwhelming programs in ice dance this season, and they may be getting a reward for having programs and packaging that stand out a bit.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would actually like a video of Roman's free skate (including him leaving the ice), in case the youtube version disappears or is blocked. He picked up one of our animals!

Here's a non-YouTube version of Roman's SCI LP (No Commmentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/ein6g

You're lucky that he picked up your toy instead of a flower girl. :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's a non-YouTube version of Roman's SCI LP (No Commmentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/ein6g

You're lucky that he picked up your toy instead of a flower girl. :)

Thank you for the video.

The pickup wasn't just luck. My daughter lobbed 16 items onto the ice total, and 2 got picked up by the skater. We were sitting behind the camera pit, and most were sent in over the heads of the camera operators. To get something picked up you have to have good placement (sideways from ice level just where the rink starts to curve is ideal), good timing (too soon, and a predatory flower girl will swoop in and take it before the skater sees it), and a good arm.

Ykai

On the Ice
Thank you for the video.

The pickup wasn't just luck. My daughter lobbed 16 items onto the ice total, and 2 got picked up by the skater. We were sitting behind the camera pit, and most were sent in over the heads of the camera operators. To get something picked up you have to have good placement (sideways from ice level just where the rink starts to curve is ideal), good timing (too soon, and a predatory flower girl will swoop in and take it before the skater sees it), and a good arm.

Really like how you used the word "predatory" here, you are funny.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you for the video.

You're welcome, and it turns out you're not the only one who wanted a non-YouTube video of Roman's LP because it has 30 hits now (I know that's not a lot, but more than 1 person has watched it, clearly).

I didn't realize there was a specific strategy involved (I've never thrown anything on to the ice during a major fs competition because I'm always in the nosebleed section). With more practice, I'm sure your daughter's success rate will be higher (I suppose she wishes that the flower girls weren't so efficient). ;)

Sales & Wamsteeker
RD (TSN 720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7n2xh7
FD (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/rrgry

Am I the only one who's envious of Nikolas Wamsteeker's hair? I find myself wondering what conditioner he uses because his beautiful mane is so fluffy. :luv17:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn't realize there was a specific strategy involved (I've never thrown anything on to the ice during a major fs competition because I'm always in the nosebleed section). With more practice, I'm sure your daughter's success rate will be higher (I suppose she wishes that the flower girls weren't so efficient). ;)

My daughter worked out the strategy watching the short programs. But it did begin before that, with choosing the seats. You must be at the Kiss-n-Cry end of the rink, preferably near the end. The seats I chose weren't ideal for throwing because to get to the ice, my daughter had to go up to the very top of the arena, run behind the last row of seats, and go all the way down to the ice. It got too crowded for that route to be practical.

We were actually very pleased with our success rate. Our goal was to get one item picked up, and we got two. It's a much higher ratio than average, even disregarding the hundreds of Poohs thrown after Hanyu's performance.

The original impetus for our taking multiple items to throw was that some skaters at the GPF had nothing at all thrown on the ice for them. My daughter thought we should try to add to the "haul" for the skaters who were getting very little. We chose our recipients with that in mind.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Happy Halloween, everyone! :devil: https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/1189904920138461187

The original impetus for our taking multiple items to throw was that some skaters at the GPF had nothing at all thrown on the ice for them. My daughter thought we should try to add to the "haul" for the skaters who were getting very little. We chose our recipients with that in mind.

Awww, your daughter is so sweet for thinking about the less popular skaters. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad for Gabby :(
Assuming it’s not injury, but that she and Lee Barkell decides she probably won’t benefit from another GP and the issues of jet lag etc, and instead can continue to keep training so she can get in better shape for Nationals and the better half of the season? Just making assumptions, of course...

True. Gabby's SC freeskate wasn't that much improved over her Finlandia FS: at Finlandia, she landed 4 triples and had two falls, while at SC she landed only 3 triples and had 3 falls. And at SC, she didn't have the jet lag she had in Espoo. But she'd have even more extreme jet lag in China, and she probably couldn't improve that much in two additional weeks.

Gabby needs to work on her jumps and her stamina, and that's going to take time. She has just a little over two months to prepare for Nationals, and that should be her focus now.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
This has been discussed here quite a lot by this point; it’s by now been probably 6 weeks.

This is where I am very confused - On Sept. 16 she said she'd been on the ice for 2 weeks, so that's nearly 8 weeks by the time she skated at SC. But a few days ago she posted she'd been "off the ice for 12 of the last 14 months" which is not possible based on her competitions from 2019.... I assume she stopped training after her horrible injury (rightfully so, so 5 months off - during which she did post videos of herself skating - 2 months on), but she was competing (and I assume training) for Jan-March (3 months), so her instagram post doesn't really make sense... I'm not surprised people are confused by the timeline, because I definitely am!

(not bashing her skating at all, she's been through the ringer and I'm glad she's taken time to rest her mind and body, just genuinely confused by the timeline and wondering if I'm missing something).

Ziotic

Medalist
This is where I am very confused - On Sept. 16 she said she'd been on the ice for 2 weeks, so that's nearly 8 weeks by the time she skated at SC. But a few days ago she posted she'd been "off the ice for 12 of the last 14 months" which is not possible based on her competitions from 2019.... I assume she stopped training after her horrible injury (rightfully so, so 5 months off - during which she did post videos of herself skating - 2 months on), but she was competing (and I assume training) for Jan-March (3 months), so her instagram post doesn't really make sense... I'm not surprised people are confused by the timeline, because I definitely am!

(not bashing her skating at all, she's been through the ringer and I'm glad she's taken time to rest her mind and body, just genuinely confused by the timeline and wondering if I'm missing something).

I don’t think she meant consecutive time off just cumulative. She had other injuries and took time off last GP as well, only returning for nationals.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've experienced 3 power outages since Friday (no power = no Internet), and the situation is still unstable (I had no electricity for 90 minutes this morning), but I noticed that Nic's Internationaux de France performances are not on YouTube, so I uploaded his free skate and exhibition number.

Nicolas Nadeau
IdF LP (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/k3imh
IdF Ex (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/c2fql

His IdF SP performance was worse than at SCI :slink: , so I don't think any of you are desperate to see it.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Osmond4gold, I saw your dismissive post about Nic Nadeau before you deleted it (I can only paraphrase what you wrote, but it was basically "I'm bored by Nick's attempts to stay relevant in this sport; eyebrows and charm can only go so far. When he takes his career seriously, call me."), and I wanted to ask you how do you know that he doesn't take his athletic career seriously? Do you know him personally? Has he told you that figure skating is not important to him? You could be right for all I know, but if that's the case, please tell us how you got this information.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya won Alberta Sectionals (by a lot). Notably, she's now doing 3Lz+3T as her combination in both the short and the free (the free even has two Lutzes now; the solo one got a !).

The impression I got is that Ruiter is a natural flip girl, not a Lutz girl, so it's interesting that her coaches are evidently going all-in on making the jump work for her. With some success.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thanks Siberia. If I could rephrase.

I am always hopeful for Nic, and my wish for him is for more consistency, always. So when does he finally show us his full potential? I believe him to be a natural talent with charisma beyond. So what needs to happen to make Nic a complete skater? As we both know, he is a better skater than recent results would suggest.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks Siberia. If I could rephrase.

I am always hopeful for Nick, and my wish for him is for more consistency, always. So when does he finally show us his full potential? I believe him to be a natural talent with charisma beyond. So what needs to happen to make Nick a complete skater? As we both know, he is a better skater than recent results would suggest.

Nic has also been coming back from injury. So I don't expect his recent results to be a reflection of the skater he is at full potential.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nic's Grand Prix results this season were overall pretty solid for him, the best he's skated since his injury.

He still needs to work on his BV, but in terms of delivering what he's planned, he's made notable improvements. The triple Axel, especially, is much better than it was in the last couple of seasons.