2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
What an event for the ladies as there's a few senior debuts that rocked it in the juniors! October can't come quick enough!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Bradie Tennell and Vincent Zhou are forced to do back-to-back events. At least Bradie's events are geographically close, but Vincent has to go from China to Russia.

Nic Nadeau goes from Canada to France, but considering that he's 33 on the SB list and 54 on WS, he's lucky to get 2 events.

And how is it that Russia gets spots for NINE men--and six men get two events each? That's their weakest discipline. The US and Japan have the strongest men, and each got only 7, with five men getting two events.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Preliminary dance predictions:

Skate America
1. Hubbell/Donohue
2. Stepanova/Bukin (will make a fight of it)
3. Zahorski/Guerreiro vs. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen

Skate Canada International
1. Hubbell/Donohue
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Hawayek/Baker

Internationaux de France
1. Papadakis/Cizeron (bold, I know)
2. Chock/Bates
3. Guignard/Fabbri

Cup of China
1. Sinitsina/Katsalapov
2. Chock Bates
3. Hawayek/Baker vs. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen

Rostelecom Cup
1. Sinitsina/Katsalapov
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Kaliszek/Spodyriev vs. Hurtado/Khaliavin (based on scores it should be the former, but the Poles never start strongly)

NHK Trophy
1. Papadakis/Cizeron
2. Stepanova/Bukin
3. Guignard/Fabbri

For Rostelecom Cup, my money is on Lajoie/Lagha for that 3rd place! I expect them to perform a lot better than Hurtado/Khaliavin, but then again it's hard to say for sure since this is their Senior debut. Otherwise, I agree with your predictions!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
For Rostelecom Cup, my money is on Lajoie/Lagha for that 3rd place! I expect them to perform a lot better than Hurtado/Khaliavin, but then again it's hard to say for sure since this is their Senior debut. Otherwise, I agree with your predictions!

My money is on Hurtado & Khaliavin.

And I would be prepared for Skoptcova & Aleshin to place above Lajoie & Lagha in Russia (as they did throughout all of their junior career); but there could definitely be some surprises in the mix with the young skaters. (And really I think Popova & Mozgov have pretty good odds over both if they get their act together this season, get the host berth, and show up with some quality programs--which I realize is a big if).

slider11

Medalist
I'm curious why Hawayek and Baker, as third in their Nationals, didn't get the Skate America assignment along with Hubbell and Donahue. Or even McNamara and Carpenter who placed fourth at US Nationals. Instead, Carreira and Ponomarenko got the slot with a TBD for the US third. I know the first and second National team is generally split but I would think third or fourth would be given a shot. Isn't a home country assignment considered somewhat of a nod for a team who placed well?

hyperbunny

Rinkside
Preliminary dance predictions:

Skate America
1. Hubbell/Donohue
2. Stepanova/Bukin (will make a fight of it)
3. Zahorski/Guerreiro vs. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen

Skate Canada International
1. Hubbell/Donohue
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Hawayek/Baker

Internationaux de France
1. Papadakis/Cizeron (bold, I know)
2. Chock/Bates
3. Guignard/Fabbri

Cup of China
1. Sinitsina/Katsalapov
2. Chock Bates
3. Hawayek/Baker vs. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen

Rostelecom Cup
1. Sinitsina/Katsalapov
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Kaliszek/Spodyriev vs. Hurtado/Khaliavin (based on scores it should be the former, but the Poles never start strongly)

NHK Trophy
1. Papadakis/Cizeron
2. Stepanova/Bukin
3. Guignard/Fabbri

On what planet are the Kaliszek/Spodyriev better than Hurtado/Khaliavin??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
About what I expected. One day Brendan will get two in the first round, but apparently it is not this day.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm curious why Hawayek and Baker, as third in their Nationals, didn't get the Skate America assignment along with Hubbell and Donahue. Or even McNamara and Carpenter who placed fourth at US Nationals. Instead, Carreira and Ponomarenko got the slot with a TBD for the US third. I know the first and second National team is generally split but I would think third or fourth would be given a shot. Isn't a home country assignment considered somewhat of a nod for a team who placed well?

The most likely answer is because Hawayek & Baker have two guaranteed berths. They don't need a host spot right now. They did in the past when they were ranked 4th and 5th at Nationals, and they were given a host berth at SA twice when they were in that position. They were a medal threat on the GP at the time so other countries didn't want to invite them, and SA gave them the spot. They will probably get one again in the future (most likely at some point when it might clearly help them make the GPF). But they don't need it right now because they have the guaranteed berths.

The young teams need them, and they are hard to place with non-host invites right now because both McNamara & Carpenter and Carreira & Ponomarenko have GP medals from last season but no guaranteed second spots because they couldn't go to Worlds. Their records make them an additional unseeded and non-mandatory threat at every dance event on the GP. They are a problem at SC for Lajoie & Lagha, in France for Lauriault & Le Gac, in Russia for Skoptcova & Aleshin, in China for Wang & Liu. The only exception isn't really an exception. They are obviously a problem for Komatsubara & Koleto at NHK also. But everyone NHK invites will be a problem for K&K so Japan really doesn't have much of anything to lose by inviting the young U.S. teams. So it is not at all surprising that C&P and M&C ended up there.

H&B had the second SA spot two years ago. M&C had it last season. So C&P get it this season.

And Green & Parsons (a team made up of one U.S. Junior Champion and one medalist on last year's GP) get a good shot at a second GP spot.

As far as Hawayek & Baker are concerned, their best results have actually always happened at NHK rather than SA anyway. I don't think they would necessarily be better off in this particular field at SA with Hubbell & Donohue, Stepanova & Bukin, and Zagorski & Guerreiro there. They lost to Z&G at the GPF last season. It's tough this season for H&B going up against Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson, but H&B did defeat them in both matches last year. In the end, you probably learn more and make a stronger argument for yourself competing away from home than you do at home anyway. The goal is not to win at the start of the season. It's to win at the end of it.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Guys, I’ve spent the entire day searching for my lost shaker of salt.... and I finally found it. Right here. In this thread. The claws are out. Sass and snark are hitting record levels. Extreme tension fills the air that can’t be sliced with a machete, nevermind an ordinary knife. Yet it hasn’t even been a full 24 hours since the assignments were announced.

I’m confused about the lack of a placement for Alaine, as others have already mentioned.

Also. Where’s Larkyn?

Are WeaPo skipping the GP again this season to tour in Tessa and Scott’s new show? Or are they retiring for realz? :sad21:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Guys, I’ve spent the entire day searching for my lost shaker of salt.... and I finally found it. Here. In this thread. So many claws, so much sass.

I’m confused about the lack of a placement for Alaine, as others have already mentioned.

Also. Where’s Larkyn?

Are WeaPo skipping the GP again this season to tour in Tessa and Scott’s new show? Or are they retiring for realz? :sad21:

Larkyn retired.

Alaine could be injured or pulled out for other reasons. Maybe we'll hear something soon?

Weapo haven't said but after Kaitlyn's Instagram post it sounds like maybe Andrew wanted to retire.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Zagitova and Shcherbakova both have as World and National Champion respectively.

Scherbakova having easy route? Are you kidding me? 0_0
She is put against Tuktamysheva with 3A, Tursynbaeva with 3A and 4S, Tennel and Sakamoto, isn't she? All four of them will have higher PCS too due to reputation differences. Pretty easy route, eh? :rolleye:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ice dance events ranked by Gadbois-iness:

1. 6/9 (67%), Cup of China
2-3 (tie). 5/9 (56%), Skate America / Internationaux de France
4. 5/10 (50%), NHK Trophy
5. 4/10 (40%), Skate Canada International
6. 1/9 (11%), Rostelecom Cup (zut alors!)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Larkyn retired.

Alaine could be injured or pulled out for other reasons. Maybe we'll hear something soon?

Weapo haven't said but after Kaitlyn's Instagram post it sounds like maybe Andrew wanted to retire.

Thank ya. I’ve been pretty much out of the loop since worlds ended several months ago.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who remembers when the 2015-2016 GP assignments came out four years ago? The huge debate in ladies was centred around Mao vs. Liza, battling it out to eventually win gold and silver at worlds, all because of their 3As. Just to refresh everyone’s memory, that’s not how the season planned out at all.

Enter Zhenya. I didn’t originally label her as fitting the mould of either a jumping bean, nor an artistic queen. I thought she was well-rounded from the start, using backloaded jumps with tanos and rippons as her weapon of choice. Overscored? In PCS, sure, especially in the beginning of her senior debut. I can’t argue that.

Granted, this season, we have many young ladies moving up into the senior ranks with potentially consistent 3As and quads. Mao and Liza’s ages were 25 and 19, respectively; whereas the majority of this season’s potential power jumpers are several years younger; minus Lil Bet, of course. To be clear, I’m not knocking any young skater down, or dismissing any young skater’s talent, simply for being a teenager with an impressive technical resume. I’m also not someone who sees the relevance in debating the age-old battle of why we should or shouldn’t have teenage girls competing against adult women in senior level competition. I know the struggles from the inevitable body changes in teenage girls brought on by puberty are real, not a myth, and they definitely do happen, but it’s not impossible to retain those skills as the female skater matures.

Still though, I’m not as convinced as some of you that it’s going to be a runaway for all the ladies with quads and 3As. Stranger things have happened. Ice is slippery. Yadda yadda, insert other like-minded metaphors here. Personally, I’m hoping to be presently surprised at the end of the season, with a mixture of both newbies and veterans; jumping beans and artistic PCS queens; on all the major podiums. I’m excited to see the newbies grow artistically. I’m excited to see the veterans up their technical arsenal, which CAN be done. For reference, see Mirai Nagasu getting her 3A two seasons ago, at the age of 25.

It’s going to be a wild ride, filled with twists and turns, surprises and upsets, unpredictable results, and just a lot of fun in general. Let’s all be sure to buckle up for safety, and simply enjoy the show.. :cheer:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Still though, I’m not convinced as some of you that it’s going to be a runaway for all the ladies with quads and 3As. Stranger things have happened. Ice is slippery. Yadda yadda insert other like-minded metaphors here.

It’s going to be a wild ride, filled with twists and turns, surprises and upsets, unpredictable results, and just of fun in general. Let’s all be sure to buckle up for safety, and simply enjoy the show.. :cheer:

This. Judging by previous seasons, rarely have the favorable predictions come true.

katymay

Medalist
Scherbakova having easy route? Are you kidding me? 0_0
She is put against Tuktamysheva with 3A, Tursynbaeva with 3A and 4S, Tennel and Sakamoto, isn't she? All four of them will have higher PCS too due to reputation differences. Pretty easy route, eh? :rolleye:

I think it will be Tuk, Lilbet and Scherbakova (with two spectacular quads)-top three. I do not believe Tennel will be a factor, I would guess Sakamoto will be 4th or 5th. I believe the only skaters with PCS boosts this year will be Alina and Zhenya, and I doubt it will enough to overcome the potential high tech scores of Anya, Sasha, Rika, Young You,(?) Lilbet and Tuk.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if Anna Kuzmenko will get the third French spot at GP France? [emoji848]

No, she's been listed on the French team for JGP Courchevel, which means she's not eligible for the senior GP. Same goes for Adam Siao Him Fa and the TBD spot in men's, by the way.

Lea Serna is the most likely choice for the third place at I de F, but Julie Froetscher and Maia Mazarra (if I'm right about her having transferred to France - she's definitely not skating for Switzerland any more and will have waited out her year by then) are also options. It'll depend on how well they do at the Master's de Patinage, I assume.