2019-20 ISU Championships Applications | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 ISU Championships Applications

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
For me, I'd love something to come to Barcelona again, since that'd be the only way I might be able to attend one of these things without getting into debt. Or to my country, but I'm not even sure we have good enough rinks for something like this.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love something in the US or Canada. But Colorado does have 4cc in 2019 and I'm going to go if at all possible, so that's something.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Although, given that it is only recently built, you would have thought that the owners would have had some ambition and would have made it big enough to support big events... :rolleye:

What are the facilities like in the rinks on the East Coast? Would any of them be able to cope?

I don't think any rink in Australia has been built in a proper stadium style. We just wouldn't be able to support it. Even the hockey games, which sell well, wouldn't fill a stadium big enough to host Worlds. That was why I mentioned an arena I knew had held big ice events before, like Disney on Ice. It would be temporary ice for sure, but I think they could make it good enough for Worlds. I think that was also where they held that Gretsky Cup match?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Hungary successfully hosted Synchro Worlds and Junior Worlds in 2015-2016. So perhaps they should get a shot at a European Championship. Or have they already got another ISU Championship coming up?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Let's just make life easy for all these wonderful pairs and dance teams who train in Montreal ;) MONTREAL!!!! :)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The size of the arena that Skate Canada was looking for for Worlds 2020 is 7000-10000 seats. You got any of those in Montreal, 4everchan?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The size of the arena that Skate Canada was looking for for Worlds 2020 is 7000-10000 seats. You got any of those in Montreal, 4everchan?
well i am not sure... the Bell centre is much bigger.... with 21K+ seats which makes it the largest hockey arena in the world says wiki.

the videotron centre in quebec city... still too big at 18K seats may be a good option for worlds as the bell centre will certainly be busy with hockey.

place bell in laval (still accessible by the montreal subway) will be 10K seats and it should be soon finished (being built right now).

there are many smaller size rinks as well but the in between sizes 7-10k are harder to find

moriel

Record Breaker
I add a +1 on those choices:

ISU European Figure Skating Championships (January 20-26, 2020): Dundonald, NIR (hosted British Chamionships in 2001)

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 3-9, 2020): Ushuaia, ARG

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 2-8, 2020): Cape Town, ZAF (hosted a Junior GP in 2008)

ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 23-29, 2020): Melbourne, VIC (hosted Australian Championships in 2010, 2013, and 2016)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Scotia Bank Centre in Halifax has capacity of 10,500. That might work nicely! ;)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
London, O2 Arena (where the men's ATP Tour Finals are). Grand Prix Final, run up to Christmas. 2 groups of skaters per event. Stop it - I'm dreaming!

Can we do Glasgow instead? I was at the World Gymnastics Championships in 2015 and that competition at the Hydro was the best sporting event I've ever been to. :love: It had nothing to do with the gymnastics, but the whole event was presented as a very grand show for the audience.

It can't be USA. A half of the competitors may not be able to compete there because they would not be allowed to come into the country!

California will have seceded from the States by then because we're all no-good liberal reefer hippies who support equal rights, immigrants, and guac on everything! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I add a +1 on those choices:

ISU European Figure Skating Championships (January 20-26, 2020): Dundonald, NIR (hosted British Chamionships in 2001)

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 3-9, 2020): Ushuaia, ARG

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 2-8, 2020): Cape Town, ZAF (hosted a Junior GP in 2008)

ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 23-29, 2020): Melbourne, VIC (hosted Australian Championships in 2010, 2013, and 2016)

Thanks moriel.

Although, I am still a bit surprised that nobody has said anything about one of those suggestions of mine being an outdoor rink...

But, to be fair, apart from Dundonald of course, my suggestions were more about continents than specific cities.

I don't think any rink in Australia has been built in a proper stadium style. We just wouldn't be able to support it. Even the hockey games, which sell well, wouldn't fill a stadium big enough to host Worlds. That was why I mentioned an arena I knew had held big ice events before, like Disney on Ice. It would be temporary ice for sure, but I think they could make it good enough for Worlds. I think that was also where they held that Gretsky Cup match?

I have to be honest, I was shying away from suggesting arenas that weren't normally ice rinks. Because, let's face it, there are permanent rinks that can't manage to get the ice right (*cough* the recent EYOF in Erzurum *cough*), so how would a temporary rink manage?

But, bearing in mind that the arena you mentioned has not only successfully hosted ice events already, but has also hosted Summer Olympics events, then I think it could manage Worlds no bother. :agree:

:rolleye: London hosted the most successful major sporting event of the last decade, maybe even longer than that.

Ah! I didn't realise Sochi was a suburb of London...

Can we do Glasgow instead? I was at the World Gymnastics Championships in 2015 and that competition at the Hydro was the best sporting event I've ever been to. :love: It had nothing to do with the gymnastics, but the whole event was presented as a very grand show for the audience.

Glasgow also did a great job when hosting the Commonwealth Games the year before.

Although I wasn't there, I watched the entire netball tournament on TV. The early stages were held at the SECC, with the last four matches at the Hydro. And it seemed to me to have been very well run at both venues.

I should add that I hadn't watched a netball match before Glasgow 2014. But a girl that I went to school with was playing for the Northern Ireland team, so I decided to watch the NI matches to see her in action. And I enjoyed the first one so much that I ended up watching every match of the tournament, whether we were playing or not!

To a newbie viewer like me, everything seemed to go perfectly. So, I would say that they could cope with a major figure skating championship no bother.

But, as I said in the Ireland ice rink thread when talking about the Dundonald Ice Bowl here in Northern Ireland, the British Federation (NISA) only seem interested in holding things in Nottingham or Sheffield.

And I don't think they would be willing to go to the expense of hiring a big arena and putting a temporary ice rink into it.

California will have seceded from the States by then because we're all no-good liberal reefer hippies who support equal rights, immigrants, and guac on everything! :laugh:

Brilliant! :agree: :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
[*]ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 3-9, 2020): Ushuaia, ARG

And for those of you wondering why on Earth I chose Ushuaia for Four Continents, there are a number of reasons:

1. There has never been an international figure skating competition in South America.

2. Having a Major ISU Championship in Argentina might persuade Denis Margalik to come out of retirement.

3. Ushuaia, the capital of the Argentine part of Tierra del Fuego (the largest island in South America), has an Olympic sized ice rink.

4. I am curious to see how the skaters would cope with an outdoor rink... :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

THIS please!!!

Figure Skating is growing really fast in Argentina and Brazil, and it is difficult to us to go to figure skating competitions.

As for Denis, he is not going to return to FS, he is at university amd wants to focus in his studies, but Florencia could go :yahoo:

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
World S or at least 4C or World J to Almaty Kazakhstan: fantastic crowd, excellent new skating ring, impeccable Universiade just finished there, no opportunities to watch live top figure skating (fs) in the area, many fans and young competitors too, interesting new destination for competitors, staff and fs fans from abroad.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
World S or at least 4C or World J to Almaty Kazakhstan: fantastic crowd, excellent new skating ring, impeccable Universiade just finished there, no opportunities to watch live top figure skating (fs) in the area, many fans and young competitors too, interesting new destination for competitors, staff and fs fans from abroad.

Should have been the 2022 Olympics going to Almaty. All the facilities are already in place and are fantastic. And every event I have ever seen from there has been very well run.

And, as you say, the spectators were so enthusiastic. And that was the case for all the sports I watched.

After the extravagances of Sochi, I thought the IOC would have wanted to prevent the spending getting out of control again. And by having an affordable Olympics, that would have encouraged more cities to put in bids for future editions.

Or, to put it another way, people that would have been interested in hosting are put off by the cost.

Like, look at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. There were only 2 cities interested in bidding in the first place, Edmonton (CAN) and Durban (ZAF). And Edmonton withdrew their bid at the start of 2015, because of the cost. So, Durban got it when the vote was held at the end of 2015. But now, Durban is on the verge of pulling the plug because of the cost.

Of course, holding a stand-alone figure skating competition is not anywhere near as costly as holding a multi-sport event. But, the cost of holding sporting events in general is rising, and this is putting people off holding them.

The ISU Communication is hard to understand. But, I think it means that the ISU will make a contribution towards the cost, but the organisers will have to as well.

The problem is that a lot of Federations simply do not have a lot of cash. Like, the fact that there are so many skaters taking to crowdfunding sites is a perfect demonstration of this. If the Feds can't afford to fund their skaters' training, how are they going to be able to afford holding a major competition?!

I didn't take that into consideration when making my suggestions. :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan about Alberta: They were hit by a recession due to oil prices dropping so that may explain Edmonton backing out. Calgary also expressed interest in bidding for the 2026 Winter Olympics and are figuring out if they can reuse sites from the 1988 Olympics.

Canada has been kind of cyclical in hosting Worlds so I wouldn't be surprised if SC pushes hard for 2020 Worlds.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan about Alberta: They were hit by a recession due to oil prices dropping so that may explain Edmonton backing out. Calgary also expressed interest in bidding for the 2026 Winter Olympics and are figuring out if they can reuse sites from the 1988 Olympics.

Thanks for the info.

Just sticking with the off-topic for a moment, and I quite like the idea of the Calgary sites being re-used.

I don’t know if you follow any of the Nordic Ski disciplines (their World Championships are finishing today), but North America has been badly neglected in terms of hosting World Cup competitions never mind World Championships.

Each country has only hosted the Nordic World Championships once - Canada in 1995 and the USA in 1950. :jaw: :eek: :disapp:

Apart from the 2009 Olympic Test Event in Whistler (BC), the last time the Men’s Ski Jumping World Cup was in Canada was March 1994, with a round in Thunder Bay (ON). But, it should be noted that they were also at Thunder Bay every year from 1980 to 1990.

And the last time the Ski Jumpers were in the USA was February 2004, with a round in Park City (UT). This was the third visit to the USA since 2000. But, between December 1990 (Lake Placid, NY) and December 2000 (Iron Mountain, MI), there was only one visit to the USA, to Iron Mountain in February 1996! :eek:

The Women's Ski Jumping World Cup has only been going since 2011, and has never had a round in North America. :disapp:

The Men's Nordic Combined World Cup has only been in Canada four times altogether, with the most recent rounds being the same as the most recent Ski Jumping rounds. Before that it was Thunder Bay in March 1989 and Canmore (AB) in 1986.

And as for the USA, the last time the Nordic Combiners were there was December 2001, with a round in Steamboat Springs (CO). But, it should be noted that this was the end of a sequence of annual visits to Steamboat Springs, stretching back to November 1994.

There is no Women's Nordic Combined World Cup yet. :disapp:

So, if the ski jumping hills in Calgary are still usable, I would love to see the Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined World Cups go there.

Admittedly, the Cross Country World Cup has been to Canada quite regularly in comparison. This season’s World Cup Finals will be in Quebec, and there was a series of 8 competitions across Canada at the end of last season. And between 2005 and 2012 there were 7 visits to Canada. But, there were no visits between March 1995 and December 2005.

But for the USA, the last time the Cross Country Skiers were there was January 2001 with a round in Soldier Hollow (UT). And before that it was Salt Lake City in… December 1989!!! :jaw:

These are supposed to be World Cups. So, they each really need to have at least one round in North America every year to live up to that title!

So, I think we are not doing so badly in figure skating with a Grand Prix in both countries every year. :agree:

Canada has been kind of cyclical in hosting Worlds so I wouldn't be surprised if SC pushes hard for 2020 Worlds.

I never noticed it before, but I see what you mean about it being cyclical. On average, Canada hosts Worlds every 5 or 6 years. And the last time was 2013, so it is due to get another one.

• Calgary (AB), Ottawa (ON) and Vancouver (BC) have each hosted Worlds twice. Calgary and Vancouver have each also hosted the Olympics once.
  • Edmonton (AB), Halifax (NS), London (ON), Montreal (QC) have each hosted Worlds once.

So, given that:

• Alberta has hosted Worlds three times (and the Olympics once)
  • Ontario has hosted Worlds three times
  • British Colombia has hosted Worlds twice (and the Olympics once)

...it would be nice to see the next Canadian Worlds go to a different Province.

Spread the love around the country! :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
#Canada4WC2020
#Winnipeg4WC2020

:dev2::dev2::dev2:

Unless y'all want it in Saskatoon :eek:hwell: