2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

moriel

Record Breaker
This is one of the most amazing in-depth posts I've ever ready especially on the topic of friendships which are very complex. To that I say thank you sir. I can understand why your father was so upset over his situation. And I really did kind of forget about the Diana factor in all of this between Alina, Evgenia and Eteri. The dynamics are very tricky and very sensitive and very complex.

Thank you again Moriel for opening up like you did.

Welcome, its not really a big deal, but sometimes people kind of forget those details and just treat it as "well, there is a coach and then there is a student", and forget stuff like Zhenya even staying at Eteri's place in the beginning, the whole situation where a coach has a brilliant student of roughly same age as her own child (i can see how those things can get stingy too), the time all those kids spent together, and all sorts of different interactions they had. Its not just professional, and its just so much more complicated.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Welcome, its not really a big deal, but sometimes people kind of forget those details and just treat it as "well, there is a coach and then there is a student", and forget stuff like Zhenya even staying at Eteri's place in the beginning, the whole situation where a coach has a brilliant student of roughly same age as her own child (i can see how those things can get stingy too), the time all those kids spent together, and all sorts of different interactions they had. Its not just professional, and its just so much more complicated.

Out of curiosity, when did Zhenya stay at Eteri's place? :)

Claudalie

Rinkside
Out of curiosity, when did Zhenya stay at Eteri's place? :)

I believe she stayed over Eteri's several times. They were extremely close and virtually had a mother-daughter relationship. Eteri's daughter was friends with her too. Medvedeva's program at the worlds 2016 (SP) is basically about Eteri's daughter.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Friendships are something that has degrees.
For example, people here can look at their previous jobs, or school - while you were friendly and goofed around with some of the coworkers or school mates. But then it not necessarely converted into friendships once you left. Its not because people started hating you and you started hating them because you left, but because that is not enough to forge a friendship that will remain if you stop spending time together.

Imho, Zagi and Med relationship is somewhat like that. They were sharing same rink and spending lot of time together, and had fun, but once that ended, there were not enough common interests to remain closely in touch and so on.

Diana's case is different here. First, its much more personal for her, since Eteri was obviously hurt by Medvegate and Eteri is Diana's mom.
Just a personal example here: my father is a university professor. When I was finishing school, my dad got this undergraduate student, lets say John. Then, John went through master degree and PhD with my dad, and at that point John was basically part of family. He stayed with us for a couple of months when he had $$$ issues. He would come to my parents house to work on research with my dad and so on. Then, at some point, John gave up academics and decided to move on and work in a bank. Now see, my dad is a very strict person, and he could get rather nasty - as he indeed got when I chose to not pursue academic career, and we didnt speak for over a year - and I totally understand John's decision of not say anything to my dad, and simply avoid and ignore him. But my dad was devastated with that (devastated as in spending over a year depressed). Now back to my point of view as daughter: both my father (for being strict and not tolerating weaknesses) and John were in fault. But my dad is my dad, and John hurt him deeply. John may be a nice guy, but i have this resentment about him. I dont want to be his friend, and I dont want to interact with the guy who hurt my dad like that, period.
THen, there is a second factor: Diana was heavily bullied by Medvedeva's fans (who demanded her to support Zhenya against Eteri), and it was quite unpleasant, so I wouldnt be surprised if she chose to avoid as much as possible simply because of that.

How was Diana brought into this? I have seen that Evgenia and Alina were “close friends”. I have seen that Alina and Diana were/are friends. I have never seen that Evgenia and Diana were close.

Vandevska

Medalist
I believe she stayed over Eteri's several times. They were extremely close and virtually had a mother-daughter relationship. Eteri's daughter was friends with her too. Medvedeva's program at the worlds 2016 (SP) is basically about Eteri's daughter.

I am completely new to this fact (the staying over, not the FS* from that season). I know the team goes to events together, but not the staying over :)

moriel

Record Breaker
I am completely new to this fact (the staying over, not the FS* from that season). I know the team goes to events together, but not the staying over :)

Ive read at some forums that when Zhenya was a kid, she would stay at Eteri's place sometimes (not when she was senior)

Claudalie

Rinkside

SP or FS, the program was about a very personal and sensitive subject for Eteri. The type of person she is, judging from her interviews, she would not let just any skater exploit it in the program, except for a very special one. She also kept Medvedeva's framed photo along with her daughter's in her office and that's a known fact as well.

Vandevska

Medalist
SP or FS, the program was about a very personal and sensitive subject for Eteri. The type of person she is, judging from her interviews, she would not let just any skater exploit it in the program, except for a very special one. She also kept Medvedeva's framed photo along with her daughter's in her office and that's a known fact as well.

Actually that program was originally meant for Yulia. And that was not the only time programs have been repurposed. Of course it was a dear program for Eteri nonetheless.

Claudalie

Rinkside
Actually that program was originally meant for Yulia. And that was not the only time programs have been repurposed. Of course it was a dear program for Eteri nonetheless.

It was a special program for her, for personal reasons, so she gave to a special skater. Ironically, both Julia and Evgenia were special to her.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Very much so. I can only hope all parties are healthy and happy. Although coaches arent usually happy. ;)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
How many Russian girls get 2 GP spots??

This is up for debate. There will probably be 9 Russian ladies with 2 spots which is maximum. Problem is that there is 12 Russian Ladies eligible and guaranteed 1 spot. RusFed will probably cut three girls...or not?

sx98423

On the Ice
Indeed it was not. And all those quad wars at the end of Gala people are oooohing and aaaaahing over? I would prefer to see a spiral war or spin war... it would be much more aesthetic to see two skaters outglide each other or do more creative spin for once... instead of seeing girls splatting in attempt to outquad her competitor.

I feel next season will be "whoever splats the least, wins" and may some change of rules will follow.

they already changed the rules bc of the splats in mens its probably not gonna happen again, im not even sure how the rules could be changed to discourage quads even more.

and i mean its nice that you enjoy spirals and all, i enjoy them too. but clearly the majority of the public are more impressed with quads.

Last edited by a moderator:

margarete77

Spectator
Do you guys know why Trusova is “only“ doing 6 Triples in her FS? Could she switch the 2A for a 3F or would that be prevented by any rules?

karina17

Final Flight
Do you guys know why Trusova is “only“ doing 6 Triples in her FS? Could she switch the 2A for a 3F or would that be prevented by any rules?

Aside from the axel being compulsory, if she does another 3F she gets Zayaked. (In her layouts where she doesn't do a 4-3, she does 3F-3T to replace it, but if she does two of the same quad, two 3Lz, and then two 3F, she gets one of her jumps invalidated.)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
As for Sasha. I assume that this season can have many changes in the FS layout. Not at all like the previous season. Perhaps it will leave only 4T, or return 4S, or add a quad to the second half of the program. Perhaps it will be a program without any single triple. One can only guess now.