2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks for this information. I have another question. Does the harness/pole help "lift" the skater or it is more to allow her to come down more softly? If it's the latter, Gracie is getting tremendous height on her own with the 3A attempts (https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rtqdCnA-k/).

This is a good question. You can see him lifting up and she leaves the ice but, what I'm most impressed with is her landing position. She may not out jump Alysa but, she can certainly give Bradie and Mariah a run for their money. I'm excited for her. I'd still like to see a run through of a complete program.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Looking at the Nebelhorn ladies field, Mariah is in the top 1-2 along with Yelim Kim. Mariah has a real opportunity to win an international competition for the first time. Best of luck to her!

natsulian

Final Flight
Looking at the Nebelhorn ladies field, Mariah is in the top 1-2 along with Yelim Kim. Mariah has a real opportunity to win an international competition for the first time. Best of luck to her!
Mariah doesn’t necessarily start the season strong. Last year, she scored 70 in the Short, but did not quite perform up to par in the Long. Mariah’s team is very long term oriented and they want her to peak at Worlds. However, looking as she doesn’t have the incentive of competing in a very limited pool like last season with Bradie, Ting, Karen, Amber, and Starr all hungry for those world spots, she’ll need to prove herself with each competition. The great thing about having a much more competitive senior field is that none of our ladies are guaranteed anything and must stay on edge at all times. If Mariah manages to earn a personal best at this competition and continues to improve with each event, then I think we’re in for a truly special season. Also, VERY excited to see Bradie’s condition and how consistent her 3Lz+3Lo will be. Japan Open will be held next week October 5th.

Don't know if this was already posted, but here is Alysa's interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkAEC9yUts

Things she said she wants to improve: flow in and out of jumps and speed. I think she mentioned speed like three times. A very self aware and charming young lady this Alysa Liu is.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mariah doesn’t necessarily start the season strong. Last year, she scored 70 in the Short, but did not quite perform up to par in the Long. Mariah’s team is very long term oriented and they want her to peak at Worlds. However, looking as she doesn’t have the incentive of competing in a very limited pool like last season with Bradie, Ting, Karen, Amber, and Starr all hungry for those world spots, she’ll need to prove herself with each competition. The great thing about having a much more competitive senior field is that none of our ladies are guaranteed anything and must stay on edge at all times. If Mariah manages to earn a personal best at this competition and continues to improve with each event, then I think we’re in for a truly special season. Also, VERY excited to see Bradie’s condition and how consistent her 3Lz+3Lo will be. Japan Open will be held next week October 5th.

Don't know if this was already posted, but here is Alysa's interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkAEC9yUts

Things she said she wants to improve: flow in and out of jumps and speed. I think she mentioned speed like three times. A very self aware and charming young lady this Alysa Liu is.

This is true. I remember her sitting in the KnC with Raf last year. I think she said something like...."That's not bad" after her SP score came up. Hopefully, she'll have a stronger debut this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is true. I remember her sitting in the KnC with Raf last year. I think she said something like...."That's not bad" after her SP score came up. Hopefully, she'll have a stronger debut this year.

Mariah has been with Raf for three years, and has been up and down during those years.

Her first year, she had a very strong start. She medaled at her Challengers and even took silver at Skate America. Bronze at the US Championships. Everyone was wooo hooo. . Of course, she had Rohene's choreo that year too. ;)

Next year, (Olympic year) no Challenger medals, no GP medals, no US podium (5th).

Last year, Challenger medals but no GP medals. 4th in ladies, but because Alysa couldn't go to senior worlds, Mariah did.

She is such a personable skater, but up and down and up and down. Starts fast, starts slow, starts in the middle.

IMO, she's impossible to predict :)

ssffww

On the Ice
Mariah has been with Raf for three years, and has been up and down during those years.

Her first year, she had a very strong start. She medaled at her Challengers and even took silver at Skate America. Bronze at the US Championships. Everyone was wooo hooo. . Of course, she had Rohene's choreo that year too. ;)

Next year, (Olympic year) no Challenger medals, no GP medals, no US podium (5th).

Last year, Challenger medals but no GP medals. 4th in ladies, but because Alysa couldn't go to senior worlds, Mariah did.

She is such a personable skater, but up and down and up and down. Starts fast, starts slow, starts in the middle.

IMO, she's impossible to predict :)

She is impossible to predict. However, she was the bronze medalist at U.S. National 2019, not 4th. We only had two slots and Alysa was too young, so 2nd and 3rd went to worlds.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is impossible to predict. However, she was the bronze medalist at U.S. National 2019, not 4th. We only had two slots and Alysa was too young, so 2nd and 3rd went to worlds.

oops:eek:: Thanks for the correction!

natsulian

Final Flight
Mariah needs to continue to drill those 3-3s and work on her consistency and PCS. She’s a PCS skater and with improved skating skills and consistency, she can get 67+ in PCS. There is no reason Mariah should not be a podium threat because she has ALL the talent in the world and we saw that the judges were willing to reward her when she was consistent. If she can bring Worlds level consistency to EVERY competition and improve with each event, she is a dark horse for international medals.

Also, her page on the USFSA website has been updated:

Short Music: "Radar" and "Work B****" by Britney Spears
Long Music: "Hallelujah" by KD Lang

Link: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=74

Weathergal

Medalist
Mariah needs to continue to drill those 3-3s and work on her consistency and PCS. She’s a PCS skater and with improved skating skills and consistency, she can get 67+ in PCS. There is no reason Mariah should not be a podium threat because she has ALL the talent in the world and we saw that the judges were willing to reward her when she was consistent. If she can bring Worlds level consistency to EVERY competition and improve with each event, she is a dark horse for international medals.

Also, her page on the USFSA website has been updated:

Short Music: "Radar" and "Work B****" by Britney Spears
Long Music: "Hallelujah" by KD Lang

Link: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=74

I think that long program music could really work for her!

sammy78

Spectator
Does anyone know if alyssa liu is definitelycompeting seniors again this year at nationals? Didn't know if they can go back to juniors if they so choose and i am thinking of going but can only afford to go Friday through Sunday competition days. Thanks!!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if alyssa liu is definitelycompeting seniors again this year at nationals? Didn't know if they can go back to juniors if they so choose and i am thinking of going but can only afford to go Friday through Sunday competition days. Thanks!!

Yes, I think she will compete in seniors at Nationals. Why should she suddenly go back to junior level at nationals ?

GBs mom

Rinkside
For those of you better versed than I in judging figure skating, I'm genuinely curious what your thoughts are on Alysa's scoring vs Kamila's. I'm surprised at how different their GOE and PCS scores are. Do you think this has more to do with the particular judges at Chelyabinsk and Gdansk, or are they really that far apart?

andromache

Record Breaker
For those of you better versed than I in judging figure skating, I'm genuinely curious what your thoughts are on Alysa's scoring vs Kamila's. I'm surprised at how different their GOE and PCS scores are. Do you think this has more to do with the particular judges at Chelyabinsk and Gdansk, or are they really that far apart?

I think they are really that far apart. Kamila has just about better quality of everything right now, and the scores reflect that.

No way Alysa will compete juniors at Nationals. She's the reigning senior champ and will want to defend her title.

arewhyaen

On the Ice

It's difficult to compare scores competition to competition. But I dont think they're THAT far apart. With that said, Kamila does a slightly deeper edge and appears to travel quicker across the ice. If both go clean, Kamila would come out on top. That IF is a big IF for both of them though.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I think its always difficult to compare between competitions. That being said, if you want to compare, I'd do it between Gdansk and Courchevel, because scoring at home evens for both probably isn't going to be quite reflective of what scoring would be on neutral ground. But for a true comparison we'll have to wait for the JGPF, which is bound to be amazing.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I noticed that their TES scores were the same at the last competitions. Kamila, of course, fell on her quad so her score clean would have been higher. But Alysa also had a mistake on her 3A combo landing. So she would score higher, too, if 100% clean. Kamila has a GOE edge but it's not that great. If Alysa adds a second quad, she could surpass Kamila on TES. Where I see a discrepancy is in PCS. I don't think Kamila is 10 points higher than Alysa, as was the case last week. I actually think Alysa is quite a bit better in P and I, though the scores don't reflect it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think Kamila is 10 points higher than Alysa, as was the case last week. I actually think Alysa is quite a bit better in P and I, though the scores don't reflect it.

I thought that Alysa's PCS marks at the last event were fair, more or less. I know most people here believe that speed is only a small factor that goes into PCS scoring, but it is really important that she improves in that area. Lack of speed was a big part of why Caroline Z was held back, and probably factored in to why Yuna would regularly top Mao on PCS (even though Mao had arguably more complex transitions).

concorde

Medalist
I think they are really that far apart. Kamila has just about better quality of everything right now, and the scores reflect that.

No way Alysa will compete juniors at Nationals. She's the reigning senior champ and will want to defend her title.
At Regionals, you can only skate at the highest FS level you tested. You cannot go backwards.

At Nationals last year, Alyssa skated as a Senior so that means she has passed her Senior FS test. So Alyssa MUST skate Senior.