2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 225 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

randomfan

Record Breaker
Nice photo of Gracie and Jason rehearsing for the upcoming fundraiser:

Mariah Bell is planning to have two new programs for next season, per Lynn Rutherford's new article.

The article also covers Mariah's silver lining of extended time with her family and her thoughts on cancellation of Worlds and being off ice for so long.
It is accompanied by Mariah's video tour of the family home/RV, where the Bells (including Gizmo) are sheltering in place.

Excerpt from the end of the article:

... Mariah is strategizing for the 2020-21 season. She’s sticking with the same choreographers: Adam Rippon for her short program, and Shae-Lynn Bourne for the free skate.

“We have in mind what I am going to use for my short, but we don’t have anything for the long yet,” she said. “With Adam, we figure it out further in advance. With Shae-Lynn, it’s (closer) to the time frame of doing the work, maybe a few days before. ...

Great though it was, Bell is not tempted to use “Hallelujah” a ... second season.

“The last time I performed that program at nationals is a great memory to have,” she said. “I could never foresee me doing any better than that.”

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/mariah-bell-family-rv-coronavirus/ (Apr 15)​

I find it pretty interesting that she's already decided to not use Hallelujah again. Yes she had that amazing Nationals performance, alongside some other great ones throughout the season, so I thought that maybe, since the quarantine is likely to go for a lot longer, that she would just reuse such a successful program. In a way, it's actually nice that despite the current situation and the previous season being cut short, she's still intent on receiving two new programs (I'm assuming for the SP as well looking at the wording used in the article).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m worried about Pooja Kalyan. (Kalyan?) I keep having this awful thought that she was forced to quit the sport because she was seen as “too big.” She seemed to go through puberty much earlier than many skaters, but she definitely wasn’t too big. I want her to come back.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... (I'm assuming for the SP as well looking at the wording used in the article).

Ooops ... in hindsight, I should have been more cautious :hopelessness: when writing my previous post. Should have referred to a strong implication re the SP. :agree:

What I wrote about two new programs was indeed based on Mariah's wording re the SP -- which I took as a strong implication that she is getting a new SP (and that Adam and she have specific music in mind for a new SP), although she did not explicitly say so.

I’m worried about Pooja Kalyan. ...

FWIW, Tom Z recently posted video of Pooja training off ice.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Ooops ... in hindsight, I should have been more cautious :hopelessness: when writing my previous post. Should have referred to a strong implication re the SP. :agree:

What I wrote about two new programs was indeed based on Mariah's wording re the SP -- which I took as a strong implication that she is getting a new SP (and that Adam and she have specific music in mind for a new SP), although she did not explicitly say so.

FWIW, Tom Z recently posted video of Pooja training off ice.

Yes!!!! Thanks. So nice to see Pooja still involved in figure skating. I was worried.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As encouragement for all of us to move on, here is a long and interesting article about Gracie that is newly available online:

It is from the April issue of International Figure Skating.

Among other things, the article gives the backstory on how a USFS official first introduced Gracie to Vincent R and Pavel ... leading eventually to Gracie's decision to move to IceWorks and to start training for a return to competition.
(I do not try to keep up with every Gracie interview, and the backstory is new to me.)

I assume that the article was written before the pandemic (which is not mentioned at all) became a worldwide crisis.
Although there are some quotes from Gracie about her hopes/plans for continuing to compete, I think it is impossible to predict whether or not the pandemic will change any skater's outlook on her/his competitive career.

(AFAIK, this article was not yet posted elsewhere on GS? If I missed it, my apologies.)

macy

Record Breaker
As encouragement for all of us to move on, here is a long and interesting article about Gracie that is newly available online:

It is from the April issue of International Figure Skating.

Among other things, the article gives the backstory on how a USFS official first introduced Gracie to Vincent R and Pavel ... leading eventually to Gracie's decision to move to IceWorks and to start training for a return to competition.
(I do not try to keep up with every Gracie interview, and the backstory is new to me.)

I assume that the article was written before the pandemic (which is not mentioned at all) became a worldwide crisis.
Although there are some quotes from Gracie about her hopes/plans for continuing to compete, I think it is impossible to predict whether or not the pandemic will change any skater's outlook on her/his competitive career.

(AFAIK, this article was not yet posted elsewhere on GS? If I missed it, my apologies.)

thanks for sharing the article. i've been wondering lately how not being able to currently skate is affecting her and if its changed anything for her. i want her to keep going and see how far she can get, but this unexpected break has to be especially tough for someone like her.

elliana

On the Ice
Does anyone have any updates on Megan Wessenberg? She had a rough season. I wonder if she will continue training in Boston.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have any updates on Megan Wessenberg? She had a rough season. I wonder if she will continue training in Boston.

I'd like to know too. With the rinks closed right now, it has to be tough to find motivation. I really like her skating and music choices. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
What are the skaters up to right now? I would guess they are not in rinks, is that correct? It feels strange not to have training videos by now. I guess they are doing a bit of off ice stuff at the this point. Any reports?

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello posters in the US Ladies Figure Skating thread.

Please keep in mind that gossip, rumors and speculation about a skater or their family's personal life and other off-topic subjects that may derail threads are prohibited by Goldenskate guidelines:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?18607

Please do not speculate about aspects of a skater's or their family's personal lives.

Thank you!

macy

Record Breaker
What are the skaters up to right now? I would guess they are not in rinks, is that correct? It feels strange not to have training videos by now. I guess they are doing a bit of off ice stuff at the this point. Any reports?

theres been a lot on instagram. lots of skaters sharing what theyre doing for training and doing cute tik tok workout videos/dances, many are training twice a day. everyone is working as hard as they can to stay in shape off ice.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

USA Pairs looking and feeling feisty!

"Bring It To The Runway: Quarantined Pairs Edition"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_S8ZsUD8vU/

This is courtesy of Ashley Cain-Gribble's on IG ... it's a coordinated fun bit with music, involving six US pairs.

ETA: I know, this is the ladies' thread, but mrrice asked "what ... skaters" are up to. And 2 of the ladies in this video were pretty recently single skaters. One's something of a surprise ...

mrrice

Record Breaker
USA Pairs looking and feeling feisty!

"Bring It To The Runway: Quarantined Pairs Edition"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_S8ZsUD8vU/

This is courtesy of Ashley Cain-Gribble's on IG ... it's a coordinated fun bit with music, involving six US pairs.

ETA: I know, this is the ladies' thread, but mrrice asked "what ... skaters" are up to. And 2 of the ladies in this video were pretty recently single skaters. One's something of a surprise ...

Oh...…..I loved that. Thank you for posting.

macy

Record Breaker

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Poor Gracie. All that hard work for the comeback and now with the quarantine it's probably like 20 steps back. Then again, at least everyone else is likely in the same position.

macy

Record Breaker
Poor Gracie. All that hard work for the comeback and now with the quarantine it's probably like 20 steps back. Then again, at least everyone else is likely in the same position.

i have to admit i've had the same thoughts...

it's one thing to be 100% in shape, but a totally different thing when you're still trying to work your way back. i hope she isn't discouraged and will pick up where she left off.

if theres one thing we know, it's that Gracie is the one we can count on to get back up. she is the most resilient of all :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:

I was bored today so I was watching some skating videos and I came across Samantha Cesario. She skated well and made the final flight. Does anyone know what she is up to these days? Shows, Disney, Knott's, or maybe a cruise ship?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sammi Cesario. Best.Carmen. Ever.

You made me curious, Mr Rice, so I found her Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/sammi.kramer/

She married last May and her bio says figure skating coach, but I couldn't tell what rink. She also has an Etsy where she sells handcrafted hair bows and evidently is located in Long Island.

And has an adorable little dog:)

Last edited:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
:eek:topic:

I was bored today so I was watching some skating videos and I came across Samantha Cesario. She skated well and made the final flight. Does anyone know what she is up to these days? Shows, Disney, Knott's, or maybe a cruise ship?

She got married recently, but she also lost her father in 2017. Now she coaches with Mary Lynn Gelderman in Long Island. I miss Sam, she was one of my favorites in the US during that time!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

At least Gracie did get her jumps back once already (although without nearly the same consistency), so she knows she can do it again. I'm actually more concerned about the younger talents whose bodies are changing while also missing the training time required to modify their technique to suit their growth. If Gracie is staying fit, I think she'll be able to pick up where she left of rather quickly.