2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Any news from Quebec sectionals? I understand they were not recorded, which is so weird, still anybody knows the results?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Any news from Quebec sectionals? I understand they were not recorded, which is so weird, still anybody knows the results?
I believe they were recorded but the recordings and results haven't been made public. That is in case they can't perform and record again for Challenge; they want to be able to use the same recordings/performances, if absolutely necessary.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
NanaPat is right. If you want to know more, read local newspapers from some of the athletes in smaller regions... they leaked some of the results :)

Now, it seems that Quebec is hosting another series of videos for Challenge. The current restrictions have not changed so it is still possible to do it as of now. I haven't looked to find out when this is all planned to happen. I would then be interested to see if the Quebec section will post the first round of results and/or videos

haribobo

On the Ice
BC Sectionals Jr and Sr Schedule (PST, 3 hours behind EST)- starts today, and I think it might be a mix of real live competition and recorded videos

THURSDAY
JR & SR Dance RD 3:15pm
Jr Ladies SP 5:15
Jr Men SP 6:30
Sr Men SP 8:15
Sr Ladies SP 8:40

FRIDAY
JR and Sr Dance FD (and novice) 9am
Jr Ladies 5:30pm
Jr Men 6:55pm
Sr Men 8:00pm
Sr Ladies 8:30pm

LIVE STREAM

FULL SCHEDULE

RESULTS/MAIN PAGE

Quote Reply

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Assorted Challenge-related news:

- Piper & Paul (and presumably the other Ontario dancers) did their RD today.

- An article en francais about Marjorie & Zach, who are confirmed to be competing at Challenge (and didn't do Sectionals).

- Nikolaj posted a Story about competing their RD today.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
very ordinary skates in BC sectionals.... Emily Bausback had poor jumps and earned 54 and is leading... Sara Tamura is making a comeback with a new coach. She looks differently (not talking about the blonde hair)... stronger, better technique, but clearly, she is still adjusting. She only tried edge jumps (apart from the 2t) tonight in the SP, and of course, she was "known" for he big 3lz-3t combo when it was on... so I am looking forward to seeing how she will develop. Only 3 men participated in the Senior category. Beres is first. Nice to see him grow up as a skater. He tried the 3a. Gabriel is in second (if I recall) with a nice skate but if i liked the PCS part of his skating, I didn't like his jumps and spins.... the tricks look awkward. Aleksa finished third with poorly executed jumps but he is only 15 and he seems to be adapting to longer limbs... and new hair... It looks like he is emulating Kevin Reynolds... :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Some of the Skate Oakville pairs at Challenge, including a look at Justine & Zach's free skate costumes (in Justine's case, gifted from KMT's wardrobe):

haribobo

On the Ice
BC + ON + AB Top Scores (Quebec didn't post scores)

Senior Ladies
Madeline Schizas 162
Emily Bausback 159
Amelia Orzel 157
Gabrielle Daleman 157
Michelle Long 157
Alison Schumacher 156
Kristina Ivanova 140
Catherine Carle 140
Amanda Tobin 137
Katherine Medland Spence 137
Emily Millard 135
Emma Bulawka 134

Senior Men
Beres Clements 206
Corey Circelli 201
Gabriel Blumenthal 188
Aleksa Rakic 187
Bennet Toman 187
Matthew Markell 182
Jack Dushenski 181

Senior Pairs
McIntosh/Mimar 158

Senior Dance
Sales/Wamsteeker 175

Junior Ladies
Lia Pereira 136
Michelle Lee 134
Michelle Deng 133
Natalie Roccatani 130
Alexandra Sarmiento Diaz 128
Jessica Lui 128
Grace Johnson 124
Emma Szeto 121
Mikayla Kramer 120
Miriam Kleiman 120

Junior Men
Matthew Newnham 171
Rio Morita 170
Shohei Law 167
Brian Chiem 165
Wesley Chiu 159
Tim Pomares 150
Brendan Wong 146
John Kim 142

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
very ordinary skates in BC sectionals.... Emily Bausback had poor jumps and earned 54 and is leading... Sara Tamura is making a comeback with a new coach. She looks differently (not talking about the blonde hair)... stronger, better technique, but clearly, she is still adjusting. She only tried edge jumps (apart from the 2t) tonight in the SP, and of course, she was "known" for he big 3lz-3t combo when it was on... so I am looking forward to seeing how she will develop. Only 3 men participated in the Senior category. Beres is first. Nice to see him grow up as a skater. He tried the 3a. Gabriel is in second (if I recall) with a nice skate but if i liked the PCS part of his skating, I didn't like his jumps and spins.... the tricks look awkward. Aleksa finished third with poorly executed jumps but he is only 15 and he seems to be adapting to longer limbs... and new hair... It looks like he is emulating Kevin Reynolds... :)
I enjoy your insights into Canadian skaters.

Pretend at this moment that you're forced to answer this question:

What athletes, one in each discipline, do you think will grow into a star in the next two years?

For the sake of this discussion, lets leave off any ice dancers and men who medaled at Canadian Nationals - so you'll have to pick someone from the middle of the senior pack or a rising junior. I'm on the lookout for new blood (or rejuvenated blood).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I enjoy your insights into Canadian skaters.

Pretend at this moment that you're forced to answer this question:

What athletes, one in each discipline, do you think will grow into a star in the next two years?

For the sake of this discussion, lets leave off any ice dancers and men who medaled at Canadian Nationals - so you'll have to pick someone from the middle of the senior pack or a rising junior. I'm on the lookout for new blood (or rejuvenated blood).
well if we leave off medalists from senior nationals :

Men is easy... i still believe a lot in 3 boys : Joseph Phan is the best all-around skater... he is the type of skater I like, with good skating skills, strong and powerful legs, passion... Conrad Orzel is a skater who has all the quads in practice (but the 4a)... he has gorgeous body lines but needs to refine his skating a lot... and everyone knows about Stephen Gogolev... will he be hot or not when he gets to the international senior ranks? Time will tell. BTW Gogolev already is a National senior medallist, so technically, he doesn't count in the exercise.

For ladies, it would have been easier to answer last year, but now, a couple of the ladies on the national podium last year are no longer eligible LOL but i can cheat : I really like Alicia Pineault. She's been seen on the circuit so you may know her already but she choked last year while she should have won nationals... and finished 4th... Kaiya Ruiter is also a name not to forget...coming in from juniors.. but i don't like putting pressure on junior skaters.

Ice dance : well lajoie lagha are already making their name known after winning world juniors.... but i adore Bronsard-Bouaraguia.. but in ice dance, there are a lot of prospects coming from juniors... some prefer d'alessandro-waddell, others, makita-gunara. In senior ranks, and who have not yet medaled, i really like fabbri-ayer...

pairs : a few months ago, it was a bad time... in seniors : stellato -deschamps are promising.. if ever she gets her release... matte-ferland have a great energy... they are shorter but he is very strong. she needs to be more confident with landings but that's the game in pairs...
the real prospects come from mcintosh -mimar and brasseur-daleman... both are recently formed and should shake things up.

enjoy!!!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my, @4everchan you named more than one for each discipline.

I'm afraid our esteemed panel of judges has disqualified you on a technicality. So much potential, and yet you cracked under the pressure.

As a consolation prize, please accept this emoji of a chili pepper: 🌶️

All jokes aside... thank you or taking the time for such a detailed reply! This gives me a list of Canadian skaters to follow more closely over the next year or two. I am so ready to see some skating! Even another Zoom competition will do at this point.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
I watched the BC-Yukon senior free programmes last night. Beres Clements really impressed me - what a gorgeous triple axel. His skating is light and smooth and the jumps seem to mostly come out of nowhere. I know he was injured last year and didnt compete so very nice to see him last night. I hope his journey continues upwards.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I watched the BC-Yukon senior free programmes last night. Beres Clements really impressed me - what a gorgeous triple axel. His skating is light and smooth and the jumps seem to mostly come out of nowhere. I know he was injured last year and didnt compete so very nice to see him last night. I hope his journey continues upwards.
beres was the definitely the one skater that was enjoyable to watch, with shohei law in juniors... the rest was sad. I agree with your input... nice smooth skating...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh my, @4everchan you named more than one for each discipline.

I'm afraid our esteemed panel of judges has disqualified you on a technicality. So much potential, and yet you cracked under the pressure.

As a consolation prize, please accept this emoji of a chili pepper: 🌶️

All jokes aside... thank you or taking the time for such a detailed reply! This gives me a list of Canadian skaters to follow more closely over the next year or two. I am so ready to see some skating! Even another Zoom competition will do at this point.
i could have cut it down to one in every category but not the man... i adore both joseph and conrad, yet they are completely different skaters. i will take the hot peppa anytime... thanks :)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What I’m most excited about Canadian Nationals is how competitive the men and ladies are in regards to being quite even. Nam, Keegan and Roman are so evenly matched and anyone of these three can win the gold. Also, right behind them are Joseph, Stephen and Conrad right behind them able to fight for a spot in the podium. In regards to Ladies, there are 6 of them between 156 to 162 (6 points apart). Very exciting!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I’m most excited about Canadian Nationals is how competitive the men and ladies are in regards to being quite even. Nam, Keegan and Roman are so evenly matched and anyone of these three can win the gold. Also, right behind them are Joseph, Stephen and Conrad right behind them able to fight for a spot in the podium. In regards to Ladies, there are 6 of them between 156 to 162 (6 points apart). Very exciting!
i would find ladies more exciting if the points were closer to 190-200.... from having watched ontario and bc sectionals, it's like who will fall the less often will win... which is sad... not sure of the level of pineault and mallet in quebec though i don't count on it being above 160 either