2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
limiting the team to ONE event : nationals is stupid...

1) it prevents up and coming skaters (let's say Jo Phan or Conrad Orzel) to be funded until they are podium ready.. .well.. that makes no sense...

2) it doesn't help the general elite skaters who year after year may place anywhere from 1st to 5th... especially in singles where right now, there is a lot of movement as the talent is mostly still developing... a guy like Roman could that way lose his funding if he finishes 4th this year at Nationals and that would be so wrong... Athletes need to get funding OVER SEVERAL YEARS to develop... I suspect this method, if it's there to stay, will be a career ending factor for many.

How can they name Alicia for worlds, and then look over her for funding, giving it to teenagers who have not really done much yet if anything on the senior circuit???

How can they risk funding only two pairs when 2 of the top 5 pairs split/retired this year.

Nothing in this makes sense, unless they have given more money to the provincial associations to fund their top athletes who are overlooked by Skate Canada

The Skate Canada website did say it's 'due to the exceptional circumstances', so I assume/hope that this funding cut is a temporary measure for this season only.

But I agree, it doesn't seem wise for a fed that's supposedly trying to rebuild post-Pyeongchang :( Even if skaters might not need a large budget for competitions this season, they have to be able to cover training expenses to at least maintain their level - or better still, build towards a breakthrough next season. If austerity is unavoidable, couldn't they have spread the impact a bit by keeping the funding for more skaters while reducing the amount per person (maybe tiered by level of potential/achievement)?

Roman Sadovsky placed 7th or below at Nationals from 2017-2019 - if they'd pulled his funding back then, I really doubt he'd be skating at his current level (or at all, since it's not cheap at the top).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
National team isn't the only way to get funding (not sure it actually guarantees any?). Don't most of the skaters get Sport Canada funding anyways?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope this is true and they can make a go of a partnership. I think Justine Brasseur is immensely talented. I'm not as familiar with Zach Daleman's skating. I'd also love to see a partner come out of the woodwork for Lubov, and Julianne Seguin (if she wanted to return). It's so incredibly sad to see these amazing pairs girls languish without partner options.

It would be great to see Julianne and or Lubov come back but it doesn't look good. Lubov is in her late 20's I believe and announced she is coaching I believe provincially. Besides Canada need a strong and consistent man and woman if they hope to qualify for the team even and perhaps more to the point challenge for the a team medal. It looks doubtful right now. Japan, France, Italy and China who has home advantage are fighting for the bronze with Russia and US fighting for the gold. The problem is Canada doesn't have one event where they are a super strong contender for a medal - maybe outside chance in dance. And top five is not a guarantee in any event. I was thinking dance but with France, at least two american teams two russian teams and the Italians. Top 5 is hardly a sure thing.. Aurora seemed to be a huge hope until injuries struck. I wonder if Gabby can refocus - though is she planning to compete or is she focussing on other goals? I think the men have hope even if Stephen Gogolov has gone into puberty and like Nguyen spending a couple of years struggling trying to regain jumps there is Keegan and Nam. If Keegan skates well and clean the judges are prepared to reward him. Nam was fairly consistent. Roman is a contender too and who knows about Nick Nadeau who has a lot of charisma or Conrad or Stephen or Joseph - al have potential. The key is to have who represents Canada ready to go and skating consistently well getting a clean SP and decent long.

Canada in ladies doesn't have a consistent top 10 or 15 skater. In the past they would be expected to beat at least teams like France, Germany and now that is not likely let alone Russia, Japan or the US.Even beating a Kostnerless Italy is not a sure thing.

The men well it is the US and Japan and then a dogfight. France,Italy, China, Russia are all beatable by "on" Nam or Keegan. They also could be dead last

In pairs they are not sitting too bad it is possible they could knock off France but unlikely Russia and China. They can probably hold off the Americans..

Ice dance. They need to hope to beat the Americans or Russians or better yet both . France has dance. They will have to rely upon using the top dance and pairs team for now though there are two up and com ing teams

Skating to Canada is like women's hockey to the US. to see Canada not really having a medal worthy team is shocking.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not really related to the 2020-21 season, but couldn't find an alternative Canadian thread to post it in.

Pairs skater Brianne Delcourt may or may not have got married to Irish footballer Kevin Kilbane.

They only got engaged in February, having met when they were partnered together on the most recent series of "Dancing On Ice" (I know, it doesn't make sense to me either why the producers of an Ice Dance show would choose a Pairs skater to be one of their "Professionals"). And she recently announced that she would be quitting the show after being on it since the 2010 series.

On Saturday, they both posted a photo of them kissing wearing wedding outfits, and her caption explained that they were supposed to be getting married in Ireland that day. But, because of the ongoing restrictions (Ireland is still being very strict on travel into and out of the country), that didn't happen.

Brianne's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvWAVOJQLu/

Kevin's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvXRN9Hjw6/

I'll be honest, I don't know whether they have actually got married or not. The British press are reporting that they have. But the captions on their posts are not very clear. The way the captions are worded could be interpreted that they were just having a dress up on what was supposed to be their wedding day.

To further complicate matters, Brianne mentioned something about 9[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2020. So, did they manage to bring it forward and get married early? Or, is it a typo, and they have rearranged it for 9[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2021?

Either way, they look very deeply in love.

I wish them all the best!

CaroLiza_fan

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada press release indicating that they plan to hold the senior and junior events at Skate Canada Challenge as originally planned, with the novice and pre-novice events to happen at some indeterminate later point.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Why don't we see more of the men's/woman's skaters training wtih top coaches? Is it just too expensive for Canadians?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why don't we see more of the men's/woman's skaters training wtih top coaches? Is it just too expensive for Canadians?

What are you defining as top coaches?

Maybe Eteri T, Rafael Artunian, and Brian Orser? They were the nominees for "Coach of the year" after all.

I don't think it's true that few Canadian men train with "top coaches". Nam Nguyen, Roman Sadovsky, and Stephen Gogolev have all trained with Brian Orser, though none of them do now. Brian still has some Canadian men training with him: I know of Conrad, Joseph Phan, and Corey Circelli without looking anything up.

I think there are a lot of different reasons skaters choose a particular coach. I can't picture Keegan changing coaches because he doesn't want to relocate from Anchorage (and he seems to get along very well with Ralph Burghardt). Roman and Nam seem really happy with their present coaches as well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's official-official (as opposed to TSL official), Justine Brasseur & Zachary Daleman are added to Skate Canada's NextGen pairs roster. Though Skate Canada hasn't yet bothered to do a composite image of them as a pair like they did for Brooke & Benjamin.

Justine squeaks into a final season of junior eligibility by ten days, so if Junior Worlds actually happens this year, they'd be eligible to take one of Canada's two berths there.*

* setting aside the issue of minimums, but the ISU (if they haven't already and I just missed it) is going to have to figure out some formula for waiving or getting around minimums this year if they're planning on holding ISU championships later, since there's nowhere for new teams or newly-eligible skaters to get them at present, especially at the junior level.