2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Either Roman or Keegan could make top 10. It's hard to say whether either have the better chance. Perhaps Keegan due to his greater international experience level. But Roman has absolutely grown in skill and quality programs. It's tough that Canada only has one men's spot.
I think i is a three horse race. You have to include Nam. He has been improving artistically and he was second to Roman at Nats last y ear and Challenge and easily beat him at 4ccs. I would say his content has not improved but artistically and skating skills he continues to improve. I would be worried about Roman not have the experience Keegan and Nam h as. I appreciate you don't get experience without opportunities but Canada has one shot. It is the iggest gamble of their lives. I think it is a forgone conclusion they are not worried about the ladies even if they fluke out with two spots while a wonderful opportunity for a lady to go to theo lympics if she makes minimums really there is a lull right now . I think Canada would be happy with a Jennifer Robinson type skater or better yet Gabby comes back with a vengence.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@mrrice loves jennifer robinson.. and believe it or not, she finished 7th at Olympics... which is better than many... BUT NO... we do not want another Jen Robinson... Sorry not sorry. To me, she does represent the lowest of Canadian ladies skating. Right now, I do feel that there is emerging talent. Maddie, Alison... and the list doesn't end there. Gabby is still around... Veronik seems healthy.. Alicia is still young enough to come back... but with covid... no opportunities this year... So we haven't been able to see that talent. I am not one who sees the glass half empty. I am quite excited with our women right now. Skating just needs to resume so they get some exposure. The fact that Japanese and Russian girls are stronger doesn't mean that our girls suck. There is so much more depth right now than ever... When was the last time when there were maybe 5-6 girls able to win Nationals? The most recent depth was made out of 3 skaters... in the best years of Osmond, Daleman and Chartrand. Nobody else could have won nationals for a long time during those times... Right now, Maddie, Alison, Gabby, Emily, Alicia, Aurora, and perhaps even Veronik + soon, Kayia, Sarah-Maude and perhaps even girls like Kristina and Amelia, could contend... So i don't see this era as a Jen Robinson era at all...

mrrice

Record Breaker
@mrrice loves jennifer robinson.. and believe it or not, she finished 7th at Olympics... which is better than many... BUT NO... we do not want another Jen Robinson... Sorry not sorry. To me, she does represent the lowest of Canadian ladies skating. Right now, I do feel that there is emerging talent. Maddie, Alison... and the list doesn't end there. Gabby is still around... Veronik seems healthy.. Alicia is still young enough to come back... but with covid... no opportunities this year... So we haven't been able to see that talent. I am not one who sees the glass half empty. I am quite excited with our women right now. Skating just needs to resume so they get some exposure. The fact that Japanese and Russian girls are stronger doesn't mean that our girls suck. There is so much more depth right now than ever... When was the last time when there were maybe 5-6 girls able to win Nationals? The most recent depth was made out of 3 skaters... in the best years of Osmond, Daleman and Chartrand. Nobody else could have won nationals for a long time during those times... Right now, Maddie, Alison, Gabby, Emily, Alicia, Aurora, and perhaps even Veronik + soon, Kayia, Sarah-Maude and perhaps even girls like Kristina and Amelia, could contend... So i don't see this era as a Jen Robinson era at all...
I DO Love Jennifer however, I agree with you on this. When Jen was Champion, there was not a lot of depth in Canadian Ladies and she was often relied on to keep Canada's 2nd spot because she was the only Lady in the top 8 at Worlds. Canada is showing much more promise recently and I hope it continues.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I have a new interview with Meagan Duhamel on my web site and wanted to share the link:

In this piece, Duhamel talks about her life since the Olympics, becoming a mom, winning Battle of the Blades, her thoughts on how the pairs scene has evolved since Pyeongchang, and which pairs she thinks will challenge for medals at Worlds in Stockholm.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Any news who is going to worlds if anyone? I think the real drama is the men's and a lesser extent will Gabby rise again?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
be patient :) Skate Canada said to the skaters they would find out around Feb 24th... so that's still 24 hours away... and they may need a few more days... but it's not in their interest to delay the nominations : skaters NEED to know to prepare properly

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
On the Skate Canada website it says "The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will nominate to the CEO the selection of athletes no later than February 24, 2021". That doesn't necessarily mean that the public announcement will happen on Feb. 24. Their Board has to approve the selections and then if they don't agree it goes to another committee to make the final decision (I think). Roman said in his latest video that they are supposed to find out by March 1 so I would assume the announcement will happen between tomorrow and Tuesday, March 2. At any rate, the announcement is coming soon.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for the detailed information. I think we will find out very soon after the nominations are made... the athletes will leak the information on their twitter and instagram like they always do ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm just hoping there will be Canadians at Worlds. Despite a lack of training the Speed Skaters did not disappoint at their events, and what I have seen from the Challenge (and from Keegan at SA) the Figure skaters did not disappoint either. Sure, in the lower ranks maybe there was a certain lack of technical difficulty (although the skating skills among the men got me completely lyrical, I really enjoyed the men's event) but certainly not regarding the top 3 among the disciplines. But the men's must be the most difficult decision of all - three candidates, all three with merit but also with certain disadvantages. A pity there can't be a skate off or something, because all three are deserving.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm just hoping there will be Canadians at Worlds. Despite a lack of training the Speed Skaters did not disappoint at their events, and what I have seen from the Challenge (and from Keegan at SA) the Figure skaters did not disappoint either. Sure, in the lower ranks maybe there was a certain lack of technical difficulty (although the skating skills among the men got me completely lyrical, I really enjoyed the men's event) but certainly not regarding the top 3 among the disciplines. But the men's must be the most difficult decision of all - three candidates, all three with merit but also with certain disadvantages. A pity there can't be a skate off or something, because all three are deserving.
well... the speed skaters did disappoint in the individual longer distances... but yes... Canada did well in the sprints, team poursuit and mass start... but those are specialty events. From what was seen at challenge, a lot more jumps need to be landed to be competitive. But, yeah... let's hope the skaters do go to worlds... i would have prefered worlds to be canceled but if they are not, our skaters should go...

Ziotic

Medalist
So based on social media, I think Nam got the spot. He’s been posting a lot of landed jumps and pieces of his program.

either that or he’s salty about not getting picked and wants to show SC they made a mistake...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So based on social media, I think Nam got the spot. He’s been posting a lot of landed jumps and pieces of his program.

either that or he’s salty about not getting picked and wants to show SC they made a mistake...
Or he doesn't know who was chosen and is making a last-minute bid for the spot.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think he is posting just because the reviews are over. I wouldn’t jump to this conclusion based on this evidence.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm nam's post are more about skating outside than showing off... i just went to his instagram and it's all about skating on lake Ontario, flying above the CN tower, spinning with Toronto's as a background at night... there is a 3a EU 3s combo in the "stories" ... but that's it... I mean there is also a bowl of burned broccoli... so make your own guess about what that means... LOL

I have no idea how one can make any kind of conclusion about this. It really implies nothing else than someone having fun skating outdoors... like Keegan was doing earlier on in the year... the good news : the nightmare will end soon... We should get the news sooner than later.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm kind of surprised Emily got the slot. But then again we don't know what state they're all in (or if anyone declined). She probably has had the least training disruption since she's based in BC, so that may have helped her case.

There was no wrong choice out of the top 3 men, so I'm happy for Keegan, hope he does well.
Pairs and dance was straightforward, glad they're all healthy and good to go.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There was no wrong choice out of the top 3 men, so I'm happy for Keegan, hope he does well.
Pairs and dance was straightforward, glad they're all healthy and good to go.
It must have been so difficult with the men, any choice could have been considered as fair in my view. Three worthy men, how do you choose? I'm still thinking it was a toss-up (as I put forward elsewhere), and I agree with you. There was no wrong choice.

Ziotic

Medalist
Maybe they are sending Emily as she was/is national champ and it kinda doesn’t really matter as the chances of keeping by two spots are slim.
Happy for Keegan, I think he’s the least likely to have a potential meltdown so the best shot at getting two spots back.