2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
This definitely shakes things up. I like it.

And, really, you have to earn your spot to go to the Olympics, no matter who you are. The partnership might look threatening to others on paper, but you never know how it will go until they actually skate and compete together... if indeed this is what is confirmed to be happening.
The thing is IF it IS threatening and you're beaten fair and square, then you're not the best team.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
well i have 11-12 years old students who are in grade 9 and 10 RCM... seriously, RCM is a marketing scam. ARCT is of pre-university level. Most people who do not even practice very much can get to grade 10 at the end of high school. He has not even finished the RCM program, nor did he finish his BMUS from a lower ranked (for music) University... Grade 9 means that he has never even reached the level to play a Beethoven sonata, a Bach prelude and fugue nor a Chopin Etude. This really is even below basic level.
The thing is I would consider that above a basic level. But I guess it guess it comes down to what he's tried to present himself as and what one considers basic.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
well, where does your perspective come from? Among olympic athletes, Eric's musicianship is remarkable. From a professional musician, it is basic.
Yeah, I found both Patrick Chan and Kamila Valieva's programmes a bit generic. There's already a glut of similar music in skating, probably because it's easy to interpret. Einaudi, Bosso, Max Richter, Cinematic Pop, Balmorhea, Armand Amar etc. all sound the same to me... I'm a layman in terms of modern music genres, not sure what to call this - classical pop? Minimalism? (But Glass is minimalist and I like some of his stuff :scratch2:)

I'm still slightly confused about Meagan's reaction... Not disagreeing with her, just wondering how large a chunk of income she lost by not being able to do shows with Eric, given that she also coaches. Maybe she has other reasons to be upset?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I guess I'm off to buy a year supply of imaginary popcorn and wine.
:popcorn:
I am so conflicted about this pairing but I can't deny that the clips give me amusement.

Tyche

Rinkside
Meagan said she couldn't coach - I wonder if she just meant coach alongside Bruno (due to Vanessa/Eric) or for some other reason, she can't coach anywhere at all ?

"Meagan mentioned in her insta stories & in her recent post that there was some drama that happened when she tried coaching last season so she doesn't really feel able to do that right now."

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Meagan said she couldn't coach - I wonder if she just meant coach alongside Bruno (due to Vanessa/Eric) or for some other reason, she can't coach anywhere at all ?

"Meagan mentioned in her insta stories & in her recent post that there was some drama that happened when she tried coaching last season so she doesn't really feel able to do that right now."
I could be wrong, but I think I saw a post on her Instagram about how she was too nervous about C19 to coach.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, it's been an excellent day of drama, heartbreak but also excitement. I was still speculating yesterday, but I have now watched That Skating Show, read the Press release and some other articles. I've even gone on FB and Twitter and read some reactions (no, I have not posted there but I did read) and I still have questions. Not about the partnership....that's clear. I admit that I was excited about it, and I still am. Secretly at first, but no longer. I hope they are going to be great. I am just excited. But....

1. Why was it possible for Eric to talk with Evelyn and Trennt, for Julie to talk with Kirstin and Michael (even if that didn't satisfy Kirstin, that's not the point) but for neither of them to at least inform Meagan before the official launch? I get that it happened quite naturally because of Vanessa and Eric just skating together at a BotB practice, and then doing moves and elements, and finally deciding to have a go together. I get the enthusiasm about experiencing something new. But couldn't Meagan at least have been informed? Timely. I'm quite sure it's not just about money with Meagan (because shows provide income) but also about wishing to continue to perform and show the world new, innovative things. Like the double axel straight after a throw (that was so fascinating to see).
2. Why hasn't Vanessa at least mentioned that her reason for retirement was the big scandal with her former partner? I don't like mentionings of 'unfortunately necessary to retire'. This was a big thing. I totally understand why Morgan is congratulating them (even if it's showing bad taste) because her retirement was because of his bad (and criminal) bad behaviour. I don't even think Vanessa should have spoken out earlier as she wasn't the culprit and there is such a thing as loyalty - even to a disgustingly acting partner. But she could have mentioned it now, and acknowledged that this was bad and unforgiveable. It's not af she condoned his actions, but just acknowledging that is was wrong would have helped. Whatever the legalities.
3. Why is the French Federation acting as it is? I recall how nasty they were in releasing Bruno, and now suddenly a release can be done in weeks with no compensation? Yes, I know Vanessa is Canadian in any case (she has always said she felt Canadian) and Bruno was not German originally. Yes, I know that awful guy is no longer the president but Nathalie is now, and she might be having a different stance. But still...could it be that despite the investments in the French team, they realise they are/were in the wrong in relation to Morgan and because of that don't want to make any problems? Which gives me a bad taste in the mouth.

Well, anybody who knows, please answer. I'm excited about this team, am hoping it's going to work out and be great, but for me there's this little shadow on them because of these questions.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With the obvious caveat that the training clips we're seeing are the best moments they can offer: the twist is alarmingly good for as little time as they've been really training. Same with the throws, which was an area of particular interest for me since Vanessa and Eric used different throw techniques with their old partners.

Notably they don't include any lift footage. Possibly they're still building up to that.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

She is listed as a coach on Miura/Kihara's ISU bio though? They gave her a shout-out of sorts at WTT with props in the Kiss and Cry so I guess she had some active involvement.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
She is listed as a coach on Miura/Kihara's ISU bio though? They gave her a shout-out of sorts at WTT with props in the Kiss and Cry so I guess she had some active involvement.
I believe she said a bit ago that she has nothing to do with them right now. She was asked a question about them and didn't know the answer or the info ahead of time. She did say they have nothing to do with the drama though. (The drama probably being this new partnership but who knows what else. lol)

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
As per the CBC Eric responds to Meagan here. I feel like I do understand both perspectives, but I do think it is weird that per his report, he decided to look for a new plan the moment he learned she was pregnant. Like, she did skate with him pregnant. I don't know. I see why both are right and wrong.