2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
As per the CBC Eric responds to Meagan here. I feel like I do understand both perspectives, but I do think it is weird that per his report, he decided to look for a new plan the moment he learned she was pregnant. Like, she did skate with him pregnant. I don't know. I see why both are right and wrong.
100% but maybe he didn't think it was going to be sustainable?

I think there is no right side here.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
No black and whites...as I posted in the "James/Radford announcement' thread. I still have questions about some other things (about the French Federation and Vanessa's former partner). But I think Meagan and Eric will work this out eventually. A bit of miscommunication, different expectations but no malice on either side.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
As per the CBC Eric responds to Meagan here. I feel like I do understand both perspectives, but I do think it is weird that per his report, he decided to look for a new plan the moment he learned she was pregnant. Like, she did skate with him pregnant. I don't know. I see why both are right and wrong.

It also sounds like a distance thing...?

Last edited:

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
100% but maybe he didn't think it was going to be sustainable?

I think there is no right side here.
I don't know how to word this but from the way it was written here, it makes it sound like Eric made the decision that he couldn't skate with her because she started a family without speaking to Meagan about it. Hopefully its just bad wording

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I don't know how to word this but from the way it was written here, it makes it sound like Eric made the decision that he couldn't skate with her because she started a family without speaking to Meagan about it. Hopefully its just bad wording
I guess it comes down to what was said about the SOI Japan tour. Because it would to me like Eric was like well if you're not 100% in then I need to consider other plans.

And he did talk to her then.

I think neither were completely good at communicating. Because Megan says she was all in on doing shows but Eric says that she had reservations.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I guess it comes down to what was said about the SOI Japan tour. Because it would to me like Eric was like well if you're not 100% in then I need to consider other plans.

And he did talk to her then.

I think neither were completely good at communicating. Because Megan says she was all in on doing shows but Eric says that she had reservations.
Yeah, this seems like something that could have been solved with clear communications about their intentions. Seems like there was a lot of assumptions being made

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
From the statement I gathered that Eric was concerned that Meagan's family life would reduce her long-term availability for shows (not just SOI this year). It makes me wonder - are there many parents (particularly mums) active in professional skating? Not sure about Aliona Savchenko's long-term plans, but since she posted those vids of 4T in harness I guess her daughter isn't stopping her from going to the rink...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
From the statement I gathered that Eric was concerned that Meagan's family life would reduce her long-term availability for shows (not just SOI this year). It makes me wonder - are there many parents (particularly mums) active in professional skating? Not sure about Aliona Savchenko's long-term plans, but since she posted those vids of 4T in harness I guess her daughter isn't stopping her from going to the rink...
Zoe Jones...3 children, skated at the last WC. Not very good, but that had nothing to do with her kids. British Ice rinks had all been closed and I believe Zoe and Christopher had hardly trained. Miki Ando tried in 2013 to get a place at the Olympics, and she had a child. They are there.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Zoe Jones...3 children, skated at the last WC. Not very good, but that had nothing to do with her kids. British Ice rinks had all been closed and I believe Zoe and Christopher had hardly trained. Miki Ando tried in 2013 to get a place at the Olympics, and she had a child. They are there.
Zoe Jones has twins that are almost old enough for seniors 😲

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it's been an excellent day of drama, heartbreak but also excitement. I was still speculating yesterday, but I have now watched That Skating Show, read the Press release and some other articles. I've even gone on FB and Twitter and read some reactions (no, I have not posted there but I did read) and I still have questions. Not about the partnership....that's clear. I admit that I was excited about it, and I still am. Secretly at first, but no longer. I hope they are going to be great. I am just excited. But....

1. Why was it possible for Eric to talk with Evelyn and Trennt, for Julie to talk with Kirstin and Michael (even if that didn't satisfy Kirstin, that's not the point) but for neither of them to at least inform Meagan before the official launch? I get that it happened quite naturally because of Vanessa and Eric just skating together at a BotB practice, and then doing moves and elements, and finally deciding to have a go together. I get the enthusiasm about experiencing something new. But couldn't Meagan at least have been informed? Timely.
Do we know for sure that they didn't inform Meagan before the official launch? I could be wrong, but I don't think we do. Eric may have talked to Meagan weeks ago, we don't know, and it still could feel like such a blow to Meagan. It couldn't have been an easy conversation at any time. I don't know if we'll hear from Eric about this. In such a situation, explaining oneself often only makes things worse.
2. Why hasn't Vanessa at least mentioned that her reason for retirement was the big scandal with her former partner? I don't like mentionings of 'unfortunately necessary to retire'. This was a big thing. I totally understand why Morgan is congratulating them (even if it's showing bad taste) because her retirement was because of his bad (and criminal) bad behaviour. I don't even think Vanessa should have spoken out earlier as she wasn't the culprit and there is such a thing as loyalty - even to a disgustingly acting partner. But she could have mentioned it now, and acknowledged that this was bad and unforgiveable. It's not af she condoned his actions, but just acknowledging that is was wrong would have helped. Whatever the legalities.

thanks for mentioning loyalty. I've been thinking that, and also thinking about family behaviors of silence, or Vanessa not having ever thought that such a thing would happen, etc. As far as mentioning it now, I don't think that would have been helpful. This announcement is about looking forward to something new, and she's focusing on happiness and feeling blessed to be able to take this course.

3. Why is the French Federation acting as it is? I recall how nasty they were in releasing Bruno, and now suddenly a release can be done in weeks with no compensation? Yes, I know Vanessa is Canadian in any case (she has always said she felt Canadian) and Bruno was not German originally. Yes, I know that awful guy is no longer the president but Nathalie is now, and she might be having a different stance. But still...could it be that despite the investments in the French team, they realise they are/were in the wrong in relation to Morgan and because of that don't want to make any problems? Which gives me a bad taste in the mouth.

Well, anybody who knows, please answer. I'm excited about this team, am hoping it's going to work out and be great, but for me there's this little shadow on them because of these questions.
Again, I don't know, but perhaps they've learned from their mistake in holding Bruno for ransom. And Vanessa reflects well on them ... maybe keep her in the foreground. They could be trying to move on.

I'm only trying to look at things from both sides.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dear @skylark . Question 1 is answered. Perhaps not to anyone's satisfaction, we do know a bit more. I agree with you on the second question, but it didn't help that her former partner congratulated them (and we all know why that wasn't helpful). And on 3. going with your notion is constructive...I do believe they want to move on.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dear @ladyjane. Yes! I had this all written out then was away (dinner, family zoom) for 2 hours. I sent the message, then saw Eric's response. I'm glad there is a response. It at least gives a fuller picture, when we have both parties' understanding and memory of the conversation. It's noticeable that Eric felt that in the April 2 conversation, she offered him support.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Do we know for sure that they didn't inform Meagan before the official launch? I could be wrong, but I don't think we do. Eric may have talked to Meagan weeks ago, we don't know, and it still could feel like such a blow to Meagan. It couldn't have been an easy conversation at any time. I don't know if we'll hear from Eric about this. In such a situation, explaining oneself often only makes things worse.

Again, I don't know, but perhaps they've learned from their mistake in holding Bruno for ransom. And Vanessa reflects well on them ... maybe keep her in the foreground. They could be trying to move on.

I'm only trying to look at things from both sides.
We know that the first person he called was Meagan when Vanessa was released.

I do wonder about Vanessa's incredibly rapid release and it's potential relation to the C scandal/abuse. Maybe she knew and this way the Fed knows she'll stay silent. Or maybe she did and the Fed threatened her to stay silent and are afraid she would say something? Remember these are Vanessa's own partner and coaches and Federation. It's at the minimum an unbalance of power. Or maybe she didn't know.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this looks like it was done by PR firm LOL :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Somehow it's still not great lol
it is good at saying nothing and leaving things open. It doesn't make him "that" look bad, nor does it make Vanessa look bad... Using the distance as an excuse to me is laughable : they were fine being apart for shows (before covid).... and would have been fine forever that way... Show skating is not the same as competitive skating... To me, it's smoke and mirrors

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Just heard late this afternoon and OMG! How many times have I said here, that Vanessa should leave her abusive boyfriend, come home and compete in singles or doubles for Canada.

What a dream team and I can't wait to see where she and Eric take this.