2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Apple1078

Final Flight
Yes, I can't believe Skate America is still on either. Though to the organizers' credit, their safety protocols and guidelines are pretty thorough and in strict accordance with the Nevada Gaming Control Board guidelines. They are essentially creating a "bubble". But still...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Is everybody already under the bubble, or are they still at their home rinks?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't expect them to cancel the US, Russian, Chinese or Japanese GP. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the French one.

I really didn't think Skate Canada Int. was going to happen. People are being told to not travel into and out of Toronto and Ottawa (and I believe Montreal, Quebec City and Gatineau). We are being told to avoid doing anything other than going to work and essential business.
Hospital beds and Long Term Care facilities are the main focus of concern here. Most of our deaths have occurred in LTC but the testing numbers and now the hospitalization rates are moving into a younger demographic. They really, really want to keep the schools open so parents can go to work. They are trying to avoid another total shut down of schools, malls and non grocery stores like we had in the late winter.

Also, winter comes early in Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. This moves people more indoors and as soon as that happens the rates will spike again and they need to get ahead of the curve at the hospitals or risk huge problem. They have been testing out waste water (much more accurate assessment of where a population is for rates because people can't avoid it like some do with testing) and the word the chief medical officer used was "exponentially" when talking about the rise in rates since August.

Last edited:

MaHa75

On the Ice
I really hope that French GP will be held as they planned because whats different with other competition in Europe? There has been sucsessful Nebelhorn Trophy, today is starting another Challenger in Budapest so no panic and keep going please...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
If the LOC abides to the local health authority rules and requirements, it should be enough NOT to have the event cancelled.

At the door testing for temperature and simple questionnaires will keep the people inside the buildings safe, they think. But there are so many entrances for audience, participants, staff and general personnel, suppliers, cleaners and who else.

Given the poor discipline shown at many events with regards to proper use of masks and distance it's only matter of time outbreaks within top rinks and the larger figure skating community will happen.

We can only hope for the best and put people's health and safety above sports and our own pleasure in watching it.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
COC has updated the TBA spots.
Men:
Zhiming Peng (can do 3A and 4S but not stable, he appered in Asian Open last season)
Juwen Xu (not impressive last season)

Ladies:
Minzhi Jin (nice posture, but only 3T 3S 2A last season)
Angel Li (has 3Lz3T but not consistent, appered in Shanghai trophy gala last season)
Siyang Zhang (good sakting but also only 3T 3S 2A, appered in JGP last two seasons)
Lu Zheng (switched between Single and Pairs, can do 3T 3S 3Lo 2A, appered in 2015-16 4CC)

Dance:
Yufei Lin/Zijian Gao (appered in JGP last season)

well most of the TBA spots are not impressive at all. At least Boyang said he will show two new programs today.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, unfortunately for ISU and CHN fed, Cup of China is going to be a pitiful event.

KOR fed probably won't risk its skaters.

opruh

Rinkside
China manage to control the outbreak in their country, they wont risk it by accepting foreigners to compete in COC. The Koreans should try Japan, maybe rules there are more lenient.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
China manage to control the outbreak in their country, they wont risk it by accepting foreigners to compete in COC. The Koreans should try Japan, maybe rules there are more lenient.
Since SC has already been cancelled, Korean Fed should try asking ISU to hold a temporary GP just like what they did two years ago with Finland and China. They have enough single skaters to be an event.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Since SC has already been cancelled, Korean Fed should try asking ISU to hold a temporary GP just like what they did two years ago with Finland and China. They have enough single skaters to be an event.
Sounds like a great idea to me. If someone goes forward with it, I imagine it would be added as the end of GP series, as it takes time to organize an event like that, even if it's just for a few skaters. I have no idea if such a GP would include an ice dance event at all, and likely no pairs. Anyhow, I wish this would happen, for the sake of the great Korean skaters.