2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Wow. I would never have thought that in my wildest dreams at that point. There was no indication that Chris & Alexa would split their partnership and she would continue skating. There was a sense among some fans that Chris was unhappy competing, but still no inkling of what was to eventually transpire at 4CCs.

As well, Brandon was extremely loyal to Haven. And during Nationals, even though Haven & Brandon didn't perform well, that was no indication they might split. I thought they might regroup and find another coaching venue, due to the awkward and distracting situation at their Florida training rink. They actually had a very good season, winning two bronze medals on the GP and coming full circle with their popular Lion King program (originally from 2014-2015 season). It turned out to be their swan song, fittingly.

It's surely also their low marks from U.S. judges and the sense that they had gone as far as they could go together (partly due to Haven's long road back from injury and continued inconsistency on the jumps). They were probably assessing things immediately after Nationals, having not figured in post-season assignments. I don't think there was any doubt that a change of coaching venue had to also be in their thoughts.

For me, it wasn't until 4CCs and Chris' retirement announcement coupled with Alexa's determination to continue skating, that the partnering speculation began. I immediately ruled out Brandon. But my next thought was how much the situation was the perfect storm since Haven & Brandon hadn't performed well at Nationals, and they were probably looking to make changes. So I immediately thought and voiced that it had to be Brandon who could be the perfect partner for Alexa under the circumstances. I had no idea though that my prediction would turn out to be accurate. I didn't base it upon thinking about their physical attributes. It's just that Brandon's size and partnering experience and possible availability made him the best option among veteran U.S. men pairs skaters.

When I saw Alexa & Brandon practicing off-ice for the first time over the summer months, I was immediately struck by their mutual coordination and athleticism, which has only gotten better as their partnership has progressed. What few fans probably realized was the fact that Chris & Brandon were old friends from their Colorado pairs training days. And that Brandon had accompanied Chris & Alexa on their first date. Realizing that they were all three old friends made the Brandon/Alexa partnership even more appealing in that they didn't have to go through any awkward getting to know each other phase. And trust issues were probably easier to cement right away.

I had always looked at Haven/Brandon and Alexa/Chris as rivals. But they apparently were always friends and competitors who respected and rooted for each other, even as they competed against each other. And now, a new and exciting chapter has begun. :)
I would say it was mostly just a lucky guess. I did watch practices and both teams didn’t seem super upbeat during them, but as we now know Chris was going through a rough time and while Brandon and Haven had a pretty good season, unfortunately her jumps were never reliable after her injury. That is totally expected because what a terrible injury it was and I think she is incredibly lucky that it wasn’t career ending for her! It just seemed when I was watching these teams that both Alexa and Brandon were still so into the skating and Chris and Haven didn’t seem as into it. That’s in no way to say they weren’t trying or anything like that, just simply How they looked. Then, I noticed that Brandon’s build was most similar to Chris’ and his jumps seemed secure so I just told my friend that I felt they would make a great pair team. That’s as far as it went, however when I heard that Chris was retiring the first thing I did was text my friend and say Alexa should skate with Brandon.
Both teams were extremely loyal to the other, I believe each only had one other partner and I think it says a lot about them all that they stayed together that long. I know we don’t really know if the splits/pairings were amicable, but it sure seems that way which is a wonderful thing for US Pairs because there would be a gaping hole without two of our top teams. It does seem as though Chris, Alexa and Brandon are quite good friends which I am sure made the transition to partners easier. From what we saw at Skate America and from their Instagrams, they genuinely seem to like being in each other’s company and seem to respect each other which I’m sure helps The partnership a lot.
I think some of the pair girls are probably closer than others but they are all still competitive and at the end of the day, they all want to be at the top of the podium. Just like every person, I’m sure some of the personalities click better than others, but you’re right it does seem like Haven is rooting for Alexa and Brandon’s success which is nice.
I am getting so excited about Nationals, May have to go rewatch some of 2020 nationals to get ready!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the reason to keep working harder and get rid of the non talented

Working harder is fine. I think all the pairs teams are working plenty hard. Working harder does not, at all, equate to medalling more. :)

The fact that a pairs team has not won or medalled does not make them non-talented. You may enjoy only watching teams that medal, and that's cool for you😎

I have seen and watched and enjoyed many skaters who have not medaled. That's cool for me 😎 And those teams, that have not medaled, are very talented teams. And very hard workers.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think its going to be a very interesting pairs event. ( BTW just to add to Ice Dance, im so excited to see Chock and Bates this season) I think USA FINALLY has 2 quality pairs teams that could be in the top 5 in the world, IF THEY SKATE CLEAN... Callalang/Johnson and S-K/ Frazier. I think the new team is the ones to beat IMO. I think their chemistry and unity in the first months of a partnership to be this strong is a once in a lifetime event. While this year I highly doubt an American team will challenge for a medal at worlds I think the next few years and going into 2022 the United States could have an actual shot at a medal. This is the first time in my life i've actually wanted to pay attention to American pairs event. with actual feelings for it lol. I think a strong showing at this years worlds could have USA with 3 pairs teams going to the Olympics in 2022.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They do nothing for me emotionally either Im afraid.
I'm hopeful, though. And Alexa said in a recent interview "All we need is time." I decided to take that as at least partly that she was talking about developing their connection on ice further.

I think its going to be a very interesting pairs event. ( BTW just to add to Ice Dance, im so excited to see Chock and Bates this season) I think USA FINALLY has 2 quality pairs teams that could be in the top 5 in the world, IF THEY SKATE CLEAN... Callalang/Johnson and S-K/ Frazier. I think the new team is the ones to beat IMO. I think their chemistry and unity in the first months of a partnership to be this strong is a once in a lifetime event. While this year I highly doubt an American team will challenge for a medal at worlds I think the next few years and going into 2022 the United States could have an actual shot at a medal. This is the first time in my life i've actually wanted to pay attention to American pairs event. with actual feelings for it lol. I think a strong showing at this years worlds could have USA with 3 pairs teams going to the Olympics in 2022.
Top 5 is very optimistic, considering Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Tarasova/Morozov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, and Moore-Towers/Marinaro, all of whom have skated at Worlds before and have built up reputation and credibility internationally. (As you noted, it's all about that phrase if they skate clean. That goes for all the skaters.) I may be forgetting someone. I do agree with you that we could possibly have 3 pairs going to Olympics 2022, and I'm hoping for that. Speaking of credibility and respect internationally, Cain-Gribble have more than some American fans seem to think.

For myself, I'm extremely happy that my love of US Pairs (and single skaters and dancers) doesn't hang on whether they have a realistic chance to go to Worlds or Olympics. I'm also glad that I can relate emotionally to lots of skaters and not just pick one team in each discipline to cheer for. My thrills and chills happen more when pairs have a connection that is strongly expressed through their actual skating programs. Such as Sui and Han (just to cite one) saying recently that their connection is through their mutual commitment to their music. That's something that we as viewers and audience members can all participate in.

Of course I'm beyond delighted when my favorites skate well in competitions, but that's not always tied to where they finish. I thrill for their happiness when they've skated well, have shown audiences what they do all the time in practice, and have lived up to their potential and their dreams as athletes and artists. It can be a mixed bag when medals are won but skaters aren't happy with how they performed. But that ebullience, those intoxicating few moments when skaters have "created a moment" and dazzled and surprised even themselves, even before the marks come up -- that's priceless. For audiences, too.

I am clearly with @elhenry. If skaters haven't won world or olympic medals, it doesn't mean they aren't talented. Or that they don't work hard. That's imo a no-brainer. The first time I saw Bradie Tennell or even heard of her was (I think) 2016 nationals. A GS member posted afterwards that they felt sorry for people who'd paid to see it, because -- get this -- Bradie was the only skater who'd completed a triple-triple. (this must have been the short program.) I was appalled at the comment, because that whole evening was particularly enjoyable for me. Some of the very first women skating showed gorgeous, joyful skating. And every group of girls had at least a couple of really stand-out performances. I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones, because for me It's not all about the marks or the placement, and certainly not all about the elements.

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Top 5 is very optimistic, considering Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Tarasova/Morozov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, and Moore-Towers/Marinaro, all of whom have skated at Worlds before and have built up reputation and credibility internationally.
and should T/M and/or B/K falter, be injured, etc., there are several amazingly talented young Russian pairs coming up just behind them, as the recent Russian Nationals showed us— including no less than three pairs who were World Juniors Champions. Russia’s depth in pairs is truly astounding!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and should T/M and/or B/K falter, be injured, etc., there are several amazingly talented young Russian pairs coming up just behind them, as the recent Russian Nationals showed us— including no less than three pairs who were World Juniors Champions. Russia’s depth in pairs is truly astounding!
Yes! I was going to mention Daria & Denis (I struggle with remembering her last name, but D&D I can handle:wink:) and A. Mishina and A. Galliamov, because one or the other will be going to Worlds 2021 if we have it, at least it's my assumption that it will be one of those two. But I was already off on a tangent :laugh: ... so thank you for mentioning the other Russian pairs.

None of them have been to Worlds yet as seniors, although the 3 pairs who were World Jr. Champions do have that huge accomplishment and recognition. Well, Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson did so well at 2020 4CC, so there's that.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hopeful, though. And Alexa said in a recent interview "All we need is time." I decided to take that as at least partly that she was talking about developing their connection on ice further.

I am clearly with @elhenry. If skaters haven't won world or olympic medals, it doesn't mean they aren't talented. Or that they don't work hard. That's imo a no-brainer. The first time I saw Bradie Tennell or even heard of her was (I think) 2016 nationals. A GS member posted afterwards that they felt sorry for people who'd paid to see it, because -- get this -- Bradie was the only skater who'd completed a triple-triple. (this must have been the short program.) I was appalled at the comment, because that whole evening was particularly enjoyable for me. Some of the very first women skating showed gorgeous, joyful skating. And every group of girls had at least a couple of really stand-out performances. I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones, because for me It's not all about the marks or the placement, and certainly not all about the elements.
Ugh...Alexa. I am between a rock and a hard spot because I do adore Alexa. But I shed many tears when Chris retired. Just not sure I can go there again. With any pair. If a married couple can’t stay together, who can?

I’m with you and @elhenry. One of the highlights of 2019 Nationals for me was Andrew Austin’s joyous skating (and his fabulous sparkly shoed coach). He finished last. I did not care.

Highlight of 2019 Collegiates was Hope Noelle Lassiter, who delighted me with her skating and her attitude. Stuffies were thrown! Thank you notes were given! Hugs were exchanged! Tears were shed! She was 23rd of 24th.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Timothy LeDuc (@ty_leduc) • Instagram photos and videos

I wonder if this video clip is showcasing a new program by Ash & Timothy, or if it's just a practice thing, or an exhibition?

BTW, interesting thread discussion earlier. It's very hard to predict what will happen in figure skating. A lot of what happens is about luck and things coming together at the right time. It's not always a given that the top international pairs or the favored pairs politically will perform to their best abilities. Although the current top-favored international teams are bound to be placed ahead of newer teams who haven't built rep with the judges, it's still a competition in which everything doesn't always pan out as expected with placements.

Regardless, Calalang/Johnson and Knierim/Frazier for the U.S. are teams with top-notch elements in every category, aside from C/J's inconsistency on jumps and the fact that K/F are a new team still defining themselves. Pairs in the rest of the world are not always rock solid consistent, so if politics doesn't rule the day, and U.S. teams perform well, they can begin to build buzz and rep moving toward 2022.

Regarding partner splits, Chris K did not want to skate anymore largely due to injury and emotional exhaustion. So it's good that he retired. Without desire, he and Alexa would not have had a chance to excel at the highest level. Brandon and Alexa do have that chance, and frankly they are a very compatible athletic pair who have come together very quickly. With hard work, they will continue to improve, and hopefully develop the impactful extra something that some fans aren't feeling at the moment. I really like how Alexa & Brandon exude joy in skating together. This is only the beginning for them.

Meanwhile, Brandon & Haven made a valiant and worthy effort, but the hiccoughs with her jumps was affecting their ability to progress. Also, Brandon was impacted by worrying about Haven on the sbs jumps. With Alexa, as we can see, Brandon is not faltering on jumping passes. In their final season together, Brandon & Haven won two bronze medals on the GP and they were alternates for GPF. That's something satisfying and memorable, and now they move on their separate ways. It is what it is.

The point we should be remembering is that a very promising team in Alexa & Brandon has been formed out of two of the former partner splits. Tarah & Danny splitting should also hopefully benefit them as well as allow room for other competitive up-and-coming teams to seize opportunities. In addition, we still have Cain-Gribble/LeDuc who are strong contenders for the World team with C/J and K/F. Lu/Mitrofanov are an ever-improving young team with very good elements across the board. They just need to continue to mature and to continue gaining experience and defining themselves. As is obvious, there are a lot of newly formed teams this season, so at the very least there's some exciting new energy and a lot to look forward to as pairs fans in going on a journey with all these teams.

Tarah and Danny had progressed to the limits of their abilities together, apparently. They had noticeable weaknesses and by this point the lack of speed and the problems with their 3-twist were beginning to leave them behind even up-and-coming teams like Lu/Mitrofanov. It made sense for K/O to part in order to try something different.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarah and Danny had progressed to the limits of their abilities together, apparently. They had noticeable weaknesses and by this point the lack of speed and the problems with their 3-twist were beginning to leave them behind even up-and-coming teams like Lu/Mitrofanov. It made sense for K/O to part in order to try something different.
Do we have any idea what is going on there? Are they seeking other partners?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ I haven't heard anything. I imagine there won't be any news for awhile. Perhaps not until after U.S. Nationals, when additional partner changes tend to occur.

Meanwhile, I saw the news that Jessica Calalang did an interview with the Canadian podcast, Beyond the Rink. You can find it on Spotify or other podcast platforms. Or google for more information about this interview show.

I checked the podcast out on Spotify because it's so easy to access there. The most recent interview is with Jessica, and another engaging recent interview is with Brooklee Han of Australia.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And please someone catch me up...was watching Junior pairs qualifying and saw Voigt/Finister..does anyone know who they are? Google was completely unhelpful. I know Kate has a brother Chase who skates, but he competes in men’s singles.

Kate's brother Chase Finster is skating pairs this season with Voigt.
True that he has been known for singles for the past few seasons.
Going further back, Chase and previous partner Sydney Flaum were U.S. champions in Juvenile Pairs.

... ETA:

Forgot to post today's new 54-minute podcast interview with Jessica Calalang:​

...​

... Meanwhile, I saw the news that Jessica Calalang did an interview with the Canadian podcast, Beyond the Rink. You can find it on Spotify or other podcast platforms. Or google for more information about this interview show.

I checked the podcast out on Spotify because it's so easy to access there. ...

In case an Apple link to the podcast with Calalang is useful to anyone, I have quoted myself from two pages earlier in this thread.
I enjoyed the conversation with Jessica.

Side note that I do not consider Beyond The Rink to be a Canadian podcast.
Kevin Wu, who is based in San Diego, is one of the hosts, and Mitch Islam from Canada is the other.
My understanding is that the podcast is a personal project of theirs (and is not an initiative of their employer Jackson Ultima, which is headquartered in Canada).

Yes! I was going to mention Daria & Denis (I struggle with remembering her last name, but D&D I can handle:wink:) and A. Mishina and A. Galliamov, because one or the other will be going to Worlds 2021 if we have it, at least it's my assumption that it will be one of those two. But I was already off on a tangent :laugh: ... so thank you for mentioning the other Russian pairs. ...

I am partial to Denis and Daria, and it is nice to see their names in this thread.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for you input regarding Beyond the Rink podcast, @ice coverage. I remember noticing that Mitch Islam was one of the hosts, but I didn't know much about the other host.

Also, forgive me that I didn't notice you had already mentioned the interview with Jessica Calalang earlier in this thread.

I see that there's more information about Jackson Tech Rep, Kevin Wu, on the Jackson Ultima website. A link to a YouTube video about Kevin is included, along with one about Mark Ladwig who is also a Jackson Tech Rep:
Tech Rep Program – Jackson Ultima Skates

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was looking at the 2021 U.S. Championships program booklet available on fanzone site. When I checked out the pairs bios, I was surprised to see Nina Mozer listed as one of Knierim/Frazier's six coaches!

The list of coaches in order:
Todd Sand, Jenni Meno, Chris Knierim, Nina Mozer, Christine Binder, Rafael Arutunian

Huh? Since when is Nina Mozer on board as one of the coaches for K/F? Was Mozer previously listed as one of the Knierims' coaches??? Is this listing simply a formality?

I thought it was strictly Meno/Sand, Binder who were coaching K/F. I understand Chris now being listed in his transition to coaching, and Raf since he had previously been working with the Knierims on jumps. But when did Mozer come aboard, I wonder? Is this a Zoom long-distance coaching thing?

As we know, Mozer had been enlisted to help Cain-Gribble/LeDuc when they were U.S. fed faves. Did Mozer also help the Knierims at some point and that's why she's now listed for K/F. Or, was Mozer requested to come aboard for K/F recently (i.e., post Skate America 2020)?

Another question I have is why the heck Raf is not listed as one of Calalang/Johnson's coaches? If anyone needs to be working with a skilled jumps coach, C/J do! The only coaches listed for C/J are Todd, Jenni, and Christine. Is it that Meno/Sand prefer to keep their home-grown pair formally under their aegis?

If a Russian coach is needed for U.S. fed's fave pairs teams, then it should be Moskvina! But that won't be happening again. Moskvina coached the last U.S. pairs team to make the Worlds podium: Ina/Zimmerman, in 2002.

In my opinion, Mozer is more of a technical coach and strategist. She is not great at aesthetics guidance or performance value coaching. But I'm speaking as a distanced, observing fan.

Do C/J work at all with Raf too? Why do K/F need to have six coaches? Nothing wrong with it, but I'm curious when Mozer came aboard, or if she was already aboard with the Knierims? I'll bet that Meno/Sand/Binder are doing most of the coaching, while Chris may now be helping with training practices and giving his tips and opinions. I wonder how often K/F work with Raf on improving their jumps (which they are fairly decent at anyway-- they just need to gain more smoothness on landings, and jump a bit closer together and in unison). What would Mozer be helping them with that Meno/Sand/Binder and their choreographer Renee Roca isn't already providing?

I understand Mozer working with Cain-Gribble/LeDuc. She's helped them a lot over the years with their 3-twist, lifts, throws and confidence. They already possess chemistry and presentation skills. And Camerlengo has been their choreographer of record in recent seasons. C-G/L used to attend Mozer's summer training camps in Italy which definitely helped them gain confidence, sharpness and strength as a pair. Not being able to attend any training camps this summer seemed to impact C-G/L's preparedness for the first comps this season (ISP Challenge and Skate America).

From what I can see C-G/L continue to need help with 3-twist dismount (avoiding contact on the set down). Plus Ashley has to work on avoiding double-footing and leaning forward on her throw landings, and they need to be cleaner and sharper on their sbs jump landings to avoid the occasional UR.

Calalang/Johnson need to gain confidence, self-belief, and consistency on sbs jumps; gain better rhythm and distance on their throws (Jessica has lovely posture and a strong back on her landings); they should also continue to incorporate interesting and difficult transitions and in-betweens. Otherwise, C/J only need to hone everything else that they are already world-class at (great speed; gorgeous lifts; superb death spirals; good spins; excellent blade skills; wonderful ice coverage; great chemistry).

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not being able to attend any training camps this summer seemed to impact C-G/L's preparedness for the first comps this season (ISP Challenge and Skate America).
IIRC, Tim had an off-ice training injury over the summer that resulted in a concussion or broken teeth or something. Something happened that reduced their training in addition to the covid-related restrictions that affected everyone else. They've been looking much stronger in practices now than at Skate America. The biggest issue seems to be the landing of the throw lutz; the throw salchow looks solid & the twist looks cleaner.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes, thanks @Moxiejan. I recall that there was a concussion injury for Tim over the summer. Of course, that impacted their training time, along with COVID-related rink restrictions.

Does anyone know anything regarding my queries about Mozer being listed as a coach for Knierim/Frazier? And why is Raf not listed as working with Calalang/Johnson, when C/J can clearly benefit from specialized jump-coach advice!?