2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Also there's a new article about Bradie by Lynn Rutherford (posted Oct 1):
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/O...opes-Mile-High-Move-Pays-Off-With-Triple-Axel

Much as I have my reservations about Tom Z, it seems they're at least being smart about training the 3A (specifically not working on it every day or every session because of injury) and not rushing to put it into programs. Her performance in the ISP was a bit rough (though expected) so hoping she can have some of those kinks worked out by Skate America.
I agree. Bradie doesn't need a 3A to make the world team and that should be her main focus right now. If she skates clean, she is technically stronger than Mariah. Some strong combo's in the second half of her LP and I think she beats Mariah. We'll have 2 spots, At least, for the Olympics and if she goes clean, I'd go with her. It would be great if we had 3 spots so that all these talented ladies could go to the games.

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I agree. Bradie doesn't need a 3A to make the world team and that should be her main focus right now. If she skates clean, she is technically stronger than Mariah. Some strong combo's in the second half of her LP and I think she beats Mariah. We'll have 2 spots, At least, for the Olympics and she goes clean, I'd go with her. It would great if we had 3 spots so that all these talented ladies could go the games.
If Olympics get postponed by a year, it's entirely possible that Alysa will get to go to Worlds and get US 3 spots.

natsulian

Final Flight
Skate America looks like a mini-Nationals and I am so excited! Despite the exemption of an audience (which is totally understandable), the energy for a Grand Prix or anything remotely similar to a nationals is simply hair raising. Isabelle Inthisone has now moved up to the senior level and was supposed to debut her programs a few weeks ago but withdrew. I'm hoping to see her, Calista, Ting, Hanna, Amber, and a slew of our other senior ladies either on October 6th or the Championship Series.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also there's a new article about Bradie by Lynn Rutherford (posted Oct 1):
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/O...opes-Mile-High-Move-Pays-Off-With-Triple-Axel ....

Also from yesterday re Bradie:

She is seen working with Ben Agosto (I am 99% sure) at approx. 2:25 in the new USFS video.

ETA:
USFS later uploaded the video to YouTube:
https://youtu.be/kSK_yfYKoe8?t=145 (Oct 5)​

Nothing surprising, because it is not unusual for Tom Z's skaters to work with Agosto.
But I think it is worth underlining, because I do not agree with the (unfair, IMO) assumption by some others (I am not referring to Makemi) that TZ skaters care only about jumps, and have zero interest in improving expression or anything else.​

And ... the whole video with Bradie, Karen, and Camden is worth watching. :)
Some great comments from all of them on the theme of, "Back To The Ice: Unique circumstances leading to finding determination inside."

As for Isabelle and Kate, I'm happy to see them here but a little confused. Does that mean they are skating senior this year (especially since I think Kate entered the junior ISP challenge)? Or does this not count because it's a kind of a non-season? Or is it just compensation because there's no JGP? ...

Just a guess, but my guess(?) would be that it remains possible that Kate would compete in Junior Ladies in the Championship Series (starting in Nov), which for juniors is the only qualifying pathway to Nats.
On the ISU SB list, Kate is in the top 75, so given the ISU modifications this year to GP assignment procedures, USFS invited her to Skate America.

[The longstanding ISU rule is only that a skater cannot compete in both JGP series and GP series in the same season (in the same discipline).]

ETA:

Any news on Calista Choi so far this season? Is she competing Junior or Senior? ...

FWIW, Calista Choi is on the entry lists for Senior Ladies SP and FS at Battle of the Blades in Fort Wayne, taking place thru Oct 4.
(I have not seen any information about live streaming.)​

Last edited:

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
And ... the whole video with Bradie, Karen, and Camden is worth watching. :)
Some great comments from all of them on the theme of, "Back To The Ice: Unique circumstances leading to finding determination inside."
Thanks for the link, really enjoyed watching those. I’m excited to think I’ll be watching live competitions in just three weeks.

zounger

Medalist
And ... the whole video with Bradie, Karen, and Camden is worth watching.

Nice to see them on ice and working. Is Bradie training 4S? It will be interesting to see that development. This season is nice at least in this direction, to try new things without the stress of competitions.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who was that masked man??! Was it Ben Agosto?!! I never would have caught that if ice coverage hadn't pointed it out. Always enjoy his positive critiques when he commentates, so I can only guess he would be a great asset to a coaching team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Who was that masked man??! Was it Ben Agosto?!! I never would have caught that if ice coverage hadn't pointed it out. Always enjoy his positive critiques when he commentates, so I can only guess he would be a great asset to a coaching team.
Bradie, Mariah and Alysa any combination of the three are capable of earning three spots for the US especially in light of puberty issues with the Russian girls. I don't think a lot of people would have thought that Alysa would struggle as much with puberty. time will tell like with the Russians if they regain the 3A and quads. But I agree with posters Mariah, Alyssa and Bradie dont need a quad or triple axel necessarily to make the world and olympic teams.

brakes

On the Ice
Bradie, Mariah and Alysa any combination of the three are capable of earning three spots for the US especially in light of puberty issues with the Russian girls. I don't think a lot of people would have thought that Alysa would struggle as much with puberty. time will tell like with the Russians if they regain the 3A and quads. But I agree with posters Mariah, Alyssa and Bradie dont need a quad or triple axel necessarily to make the world and olympic teams.
Is she? The article only mention she grew 3 inches, doesn't mention puberty problems at all.

Dogo

On the Ice
Hello everyone, after a year of sporadically reading comments here I decided to finally make an account 😁 Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Would anyone happen to have links for Alysa & Mariah's Japan 2020 Open programs?
I thought I might ask here since I am looking forward to comment on their programs' progress.

natsulian

Final Flight
Is she? The article only mention she grew 3 inches, doesn't mention puberty problems at all.
I think the article hinted at her having lost her 3A and quads due to growth. Alysa performed at Carnival On Ice and... no 3-3 or 3A. Her layout was, according to people on Twitter, 2A, 3F2T, and 3Lz. Either the 3-2 was a mistake or her 3-3s have lost consistency as well.

skatinggold

On the Ice
I think the article hinted at her having lost her 3A and quads due to growth. Alysa performed at Carnival On Ice and... no 3-3 or 3A. Her layout was, according to people on Twitter, 2A, 3F2T, and 3Lz. Either the 3-2 was a mistake or her 3-3s have lost consistency as well.
Maybe she is doing it with the new jump technique? It’s hard to switch coaches especially when Laura was like a mother figure to her. It’s just stupid for them to have a coach that is not with her and have an ice dancer be her primary coach when he doesn’t have the technical aspect to help her. They need to get rid of Lori. Lori is in control and it is not working out. They should just included Laura as part of the team and not just fire her outright. She should be there for motherly support. If she can’t do triple triple, triple axel, or quad lutz her chances are gone.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello everyone, after a year of sporadically reading comments here I decided to finally make an account 😁 Hope everyone is having a good week so far.:)

Would anyone happen to have links for Alysa & Mariah's Japan 2020 Open programs?
I thought I might ask here since I am looking forward to comment on their programs' progress.
Welcome and post often.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I second the motion. I'd love to see their programs.

Or, a third option, Alysa "elected" to do a 3-2, as Dick Button used to oh-so-elegantly say. Maybe her 3-3 just isn't ready yet, with her growth added to the issue of time away from the rink.

Maybe she is doing it with the new jump technique? It’s hard to switch coaches especially when Laura was like a mother figure to her. It’s just stupid for them to have a coach that is not with her and have an ice dancer be her primary coach when he doesn’t have the technical aspect to help her. They need to get rid of Lori. Lori is in control and it is not working out. They should just included Laura as part of the team and not just fire her outright. She should be there for motherly support. If she can’t do triple triple, triple axel, or quad lutz her chances are gone.
What has given you the idea that Lori is 'in control'?

You make a good point about a possible new jump technique. Only if she worked in person with Lee Barkell to change it, though. I can't imagine how one could do that via zoom or google.

natsulian

Final Flight
The tweet in question: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1312339000930177024?s=20
Alysa Liu’s “La Strada” SP was shown (prerecorded) during Carnival on Ice. I think the layout was 2A 3Lz 3F2T—but I wasn’t taking notes, so don’t hold me to that!

It very well could have been a 3-3, but was missed. Carnival on Ice will be broadcasted tomorrow on TV (in Japan), so we'll hopefully get some footage from those who have subscriptions and such.

In other news, the second round of the ISP Points Challenge will be posted on October 6th, 2020 (Tuesday). Usually, USFS posts the videos between 6:00-9:00 PM (EST).

I hope to see Alysa, Amber, Isabelle Inthisone, Calista Choi, Karen Chen, Lindsay, Ting, and Hanna.

Last edited:

Makemi

Rinkside
What has given you the idea that Lori is 'in control'?

You make a good point about a possible new jump technique. Only if she worked in person with Lee Barkell to change it, though. I can't imagine how one could do that via zoom or google.
There was a rumor going around (I don't know if it was here or another forum) that Lori was instrumental in getting skaters that she worked closely with to switch to Lee Barkell. First there was Satoko, then Vincent, and now Alysa. (Not going to comment on how reliable that rumor is... In all honesty it may just have come down to convenience because he's near Lori and it isn't like Lee is an unknown coach).

That being said, the more I hear about this switch the more I find that the pieces just don't fit. The decision to move to Lee happened in June, well into the pandemic with the border closed with Canada and no indication of when Alysa would be able to physically get there. It must be extremely hard when coach and skater know nothing about each other and the coach is asked to retool technique via zoom (case in point: even though Evgenia and Brian had been working together for two years remote coaching still didn't work out). Then she chooses an ice dancer as her main coach and its clear from the articles that Massimo is out of his depth when it comes to the jumps. This sort of reminds me of when Patrick came back and chose Marina as his coach (which also didn't make sense to me at the time), but at least Patrick already had his jumping technique. Alysa is in that critical developmental stage where learning the correct technique is extremely important, especially if she's getting growth spurts. Throw in 3As and quads and there's a high risk of injury if not done right. JGP cancellation was a blessing in disguise.

I remember speculating earlier this year that Lee might be a good choice for Alysa, but only if she was able to physically work with him long-term. And I'm not saying Massimo isn't a good choice, either.... he'll be able to develop the skating skills and speed which are glaring weakness that Alysa has right now. Plus he's based near the rest of her family. I just think that taken together (plus zoom coaching) this is just a weird situation.

I'll be optimistic and hope :pray: that everything works out in the end. That Alysa takes it slow, doesn't rush (it's not much of a season anyway) so she can be prepared for that all important Olympic season (and stay injury-free!). I'm looking forward to her COI and ISP debuts. And if it really is just a 3-2 I won't mind as long as it looks like she's enjoying herself out there. :)

skatinggold

On the Ice
Wow. Liu lost everything. Even spins. Goodbye olymic hopes
That's why they should never changed her coaching. She was comfortable with Laura for some many years and Laura was like a mother to her. It's doing some emotional damage in her. I just see another Caroline Zhang in the making. Didn't Zhang have a coach change around the same age too. It went downhill from there. It's bit a sad. I don't even think she will medal at Nationals this year. She didn't improve her speed, slow as ever, puberty has hit her hard. Puberty is not going to be kind to her. She is out of shape. She can't even do a good spin now. Her triple triples are gone. Forget about a triple axle and a quad lutz. Her jump technique is still the same. Her program is so so so boring. There was nothing special about it. No improvements at all. That dress of hers is hideous, it is not covering her arms and shoulders. Lori Nichol is overrated, most of her programs are so so boring. They need to dump Lori Nichol fast and need to take control. There's a reason why Nathan only used her for one season. He ran away after one program with her. Lori Nichol has ran out of creative juices. They need someone fresh. . This new coaching team is not going work.

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Ooh dear is it that bad???

I was so excited to see her skate and after seeing Kamila grow much taller (girl is all legs) but still skating beautifully I was hoping it would be the same situation for Alysa.

I'm sad now 😭